Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 hours ago, craigerb said:

2nd isn't locked. You can always convert a 1R to a 2R+.

They are talking about next year's picks, which one (either 1st or 2nd) is conditionally going to Philly. Doubt they can contractually use either in a trade for this year (unless it's with Philly). Perhaps there's contract language that says we can deal our 2nd, but if we do, Philly would automatically get our 1st.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rumor is his wife said on him not signing yet, "Houston, we have a problem". 

There’s a joke there, but it’s too easy.  

It's possible we could be looking at Jabaal Sheard 2.0. "Luv ya, buddy.  You're our kind of guy.  Nobody better.  Have a nice life."   But what we have left is truly not gonna cut it. 

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

They are talking about next year's picks, which one (either 1st or 2nd) is conditionally going to Philly. Doubt they can contractually use either in a trade for this year (unless it's with Philly). Perhaps there's contract language that says we can deal our 2nd, but if we do, Philly would automatically get our 1st.

...or a better 2R, which was my point.

I would prefer Houston was re-signed for at least next year.  @NewColtsFan summed it it up earlier, the Colts have several young players on the edge. Though none have really stepped up, and the law of averages should at least have one step up this coming season?  Four of the five edge defenders on the roster are in "walk years". so maybe one steps up?  That isn't enough if the Colts plan on being Super Bowl Contenders.  The draft doesn't seem to be an option either, as the edge class is weak.  Re-sign Houston to a fair contract.

4 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

I would prefer Houston was re-signed for at least next year.  @NewColtsFan summed it it up earlier, the Colts have several young players on the edge. Though none have really stepped up, and the law of averages should at least have one step up this coming season?  Four of the five edge defenders on the roster are in "walk years". so maybe one steps up?  That isn't enough if the Colts plan on being Super Bowl Contenders.  The draft doesn't seem to be an option either, as the edge class is weak.  Re-sign Houston to a fair contract.

I think your last sentence is the issue.   The two sides can’t seem to agree on what is a fair contract or not.   

Since we signed JH to a two-year deal before, odds are he wants another.  And we seem to be signing prey much everyone to one-year deals.   Hilton, Rhodes, Tevi, Davenport, Reed, Rochelle, Mack...   I’m sure I’m missing someone, but I think these are all one-year deals. 

So, odds are Houston wants more dollars and possibly even a second year.   It’s often tough to find common ground, a midpoint, on these type of deals.   I hope not, but this may drag out to May or June. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think your last sentence is the issue.   The two sides can’t seem to agree on what is a fair contract or not.   

Since we signed JH to a two-year deal before, odds are he wants another.  And we seem to be signing prey much everyone to one-year deals.   Hilton, Rhodes, Tevi, Davenport, Reed, Rochelle, Mack...   I’m sure I’m missing someone, but I think these are all one-year deals. 

So, odds are Houston wants more dollars and possibly even a second year.   It’s often tough to find common ground, a midpoint, on these type of deals.   I hope not, but this may drag out to May or June. 

To the bolded, I think you are correct.  Though I was under the impression that JH was meeting with Baltimore this week, if so, hopefully he gets a better gauge for his worth and allows the Colts to at least match, should he receive an offer.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

To the bolded, I think you are correct.  Though I was under the impression that JH was meeting with Baltimore this week, if so, hopefully he gets a better gauge for his worth and allows the Colts to at least match, should he receive an offer.

A little more info on the Baltimore visit.   Sorry had trouble posting the direct tweet.

Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter: "Ravens are currently sitting on two 4th round comps. Signing any of those below guys before May 3 would nullify one of them. So Ravens would really have to be convinced to pull trigger now. Seems like they want to do their due diligence on all of them and figure out best fit." / Twitter

The "below guys he was referring to were as follows: Clowney, Ingram, Houston, Kerrigan and Vernon.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

A little more info on the Baltimore visit.   Sorry had trouble posting the direct tweet.

Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter: "Ravens are currently sitting on two 4th round comps. Signing any of those below guys before May 3 would nullify one of them. So Ravens would really have to be convinced to pull trigger now. Seems like they want to do their due diligence on all of them and figure out best fit." / Twitter

The "below guys he was referring to were as follows: Clowney, Ingram, Houston, Kerrigan and Vernon.

I like Clowney. He doesn't get a lot of sacks but he does get a lot of pressures and he might be the very best at his position in stopping the run game. But, he needs to be able to stay on the field.

I think Houston coming back for the Colts would open up the draft for the team.  I'm not 100% convinced that the Colts need to tack a LT in the first 2 rounds.   If Houston is signed back, they also don't HAVE to take a DE which leaves them options depending who is there at 21.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
17 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

Yup. I mentioned it last week. Highly doubt they would sign anything before the May cutoff. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what Houston is wanting for a contract? Usually I'd see rumors like a 1 year deal worth $10-$14M as an example. If we don't make any FA moves for pass rush I would be thinking Ballard is going to grab one in early rounds of the draft. 

5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Does anyone know what Houston is wanting for a contract? Usually I'd see rumors like a 1 year deal worth $10-$14M as an example. If we don't make any FA moves for pass rush I would be thinking Ballard is going to grab one in early rounds of the draft. 

He would do that anyway and hope it's Payton Turner 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I like Clowney. He doesn't get a lot of sacks but he does get a lot of pressures and he might be the very best at his position in stopping the run game. But, he needs to be able to stay on the field.

I am still hopeful for Houston as he knows the defense and is a team leader.  I wouldn't mind if the consolation was Clowney, but truly hope Houston re-signs.

6 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

PFF predicted 2 years at 9M a year.

I have zero clue what he wants, or might have been offered.

IMO, 9M is fine for one year, but wouldn't do 2 at 9M/year. I'd do 2 and 7M/year.

Baltimore only has 10Mish of space, so doubt they'd spend a ton on Houston. That is, unless they plan to cut someone and make room.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

He would do that anyway and hope it's Payton Turner 

I'm sure he would but you just never know how players will fall in the draft. Someone he wants might be taken and Ballard might go a different route. Just never know. But I agree, I hope we address OT and DE early.

1 hour ago, WentzinRome said:

I am still hopeful for Houston as he knows the defense and is a team leader.  I wouldn't mind if the consolation was Clowney, but truly hope Houston re-signs.

I think it would be exciting to have both of them but Clowney is younger.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Myles said:

I think Houston coming back for the Colts would open up the draft for the team.  I'm not 100% convinced that the Colts need to tack a LT in the first 2 rounds.   If Houston is signed back, they also don't HAVE to take a DE which leaves them options depending who is there at 21.  

Lol our two biggest needs are LT and DE.. even if we resign Houston it’s still our biggest need.. how in h*ll can you say we don’t need to sign a LT or DE in the first two rounds?? We definitely HAVE to. At least draft one of the two positions. Crazy to say colts don’t need to draft a LT or DE in first two rounds if we resign houston

• Like 1
14 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Lol our two biggest needs are LT and DE.. even if we resign Houston it’s still our biggest need.. how in h*ll can you say we don’t need to sign a LT or DE in the first two rounds?? We definitely HAVE to. At least draft one of the two positions. Crazy to say colts don’t need to draft a LT or DE in first two rounds if we resign houston

I get what he is saying. Long term it would be very nice to find solutions in this years draft. If Houston is signed we have both spots covered for THIS year and can go BPA if other positions have players that grade much better than who is available at LT and DE.  Ballard is filling holes with short term FA so he isn’t forced to draft by need.  

Now I do think he will take one of those in the first two rounds bc someone will grade close to the top. If you need OT and one grades as an 8 but two other players grade as 8.1, you still take the OT.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I get what he is saying. Long term it would be very nice to find solutions in this years draft. If Houston is signed we have both spots covered for THIS year and can go BPA if other positions have players that grade much better than who is available at LT and DE.  Ballard is filling holes with short term FA so he isn’t forced to draft by need.  

Now I do think he will take one of those in the first two rounds bc someone will grade close to the top. If you need OT and one grades as an 8 but two other players grade as 8.1, you still take the OT.  

Yes, you understood what I meant.   I think Ballard will take either a DE or LT in the first 2 rounds.  But if someone like CB Jaycee Horn falls to 21, he wouldn't have to pass on him.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Myles said:

Yes, you understood what I meant.   I think Ballard will take either a DE or LT in the first 2 rounds.  But if someone like CB Jaycee Horn falls to 21, he wouldn't have to pass on him.  

Exactly.  Besides special teams, every position group on this team would benefit from a first or second round talented player and help the Colts. 

• Like 1

Houston ended up with 8 sacks last year with three of them coming from one game. I would love to have him back, but not for $12 million a year like his last contract. Maybe between $6-8 million on a one year deal.

On 4/13/2021 at 3:26 PM, tweezy32 said:

Agreed.

There are various avenues to addressing those positions, and the draft is obviously one of them.  But it’s probably the biggest one, considering that Ballard is clearly socking away money for upcoming high value free agencies.

I won’t make any predictions about who our 1st 2 picks will be.  But I’ll be really surprised if at least one of them isn’t either a DE or an LT.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Agreed.

There are various avenues to addressing those positions, and the draft is obviously one of them.  But it’s probably the biggest one, considering that Ballard is clearly socking away money for upcoming high value free agencies.

I won’t make any predictions about who our 1st 2 picks will be.  But I’ll be really surprised if at least one of them isn’t either a DE or an LT.

Given both are our 2 biggest needs, both are high priced positions, and it's such a good LT class, there's just not a lot of reasons not to use our first 2 picks on those positions. Unless someone crazy drops, we need to fill those needs IMO. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Given both are our 2 biggest needs, both are high priced positions, and it's such a good LT class, there's just not a lot of reasons not to use our first 2 picks on those positions. Unless someone crazy drops, we need to fill those needs IMO. 

That's why I'm a little less than optimistic about this team.  They will almost certainly be weaker at both positions, especially early if we don't sign someone or successfully move Q (which I have no idea why we wouldn't do that if he would be an excellent LT). 

I'd be elated if Wentz was as good as PR, but IMO, the only possible way we are better is with Wentz playing at superstar level.  I am not sure he does that.  

I think we have a good team, but unless Pitt and Campbell emerge as alphas and Wentz is a stud, we are going to be less than last year.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That's why I'm a little less than optimistic about this team.  They will almost certainly be weaker at both positions, especially early if we don't sign someone or successfully move Q (which I have no idea why we wouldn't do that if he would be an excellent LT). 

I'd be elated if Wentz was as good as PR, but IMO, the only possible way we are better is with Wentz playing at superstar level.  I am not sure he does that.  

I think we have a good team, but unless Pitt and Campbell emerge as alphas and Wentz is a stud, we are going to be less than last year.

Valid point. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I'm just not worried too much about the O.

We have a lot of options of LT. I expect them to draft one. Even a guy that needs a bit of time will be fine (not perfect, but fine) next to Q. And they can move Q temporarily or permanently. I'm just not worried a ton about the OL. Lot's of good players, only one hole, and depth has improved.

I'm more and more optimistic about Wentz, so not really worried there either. Even with a young LT, or Q moving out, his OL will be better. Reich will break him in slowly and build his confidence. Pittman will improve, TY will be minimum solid, Campbell is a wildcard, but Pascal is a solid 4 who can help if needed. And we only play 2 TE sets like 25%ish of the time. Not sure why folks are freaking out about TE given we have two good ones, and underutilized them last yard. Then throw in we probably have the best pass catching duo at RBs in the league. 

Far more worried about the D.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm just not worried too much about the O.

We have a lot of options of LT. I expect them to draft one. Even a guy that needs a bit of time will be fine (not perfect, but fine) next to Q. And they can move Q temporarily or permanently. I'm just not worried a ton about the OL. Lot's of good players, only one hole, and depth has improved.

I'm more and more optimistic about Wentz, so not really worried there either. Even with a young LT, or Q moving out, his OL will be better. Reich will break him in slowly and build his confidence. Pittman will improve, TY will be minimum solid, Campbell is a wildcard, but Pascal is a solid 4 who can help if needed. And we only play 2 TE sets like 25%ish of the time. Not sure why folks are freaking out about TE given we have two good ones, and underutilized them last yard. Then throw in we probably have the best pass catching duo at RBs in the league. 

Far more worried about the D.

We shall see.  But I want to clarify, I think Wentz will be at least decent, and I am maybe in the minority, but I think River's HOFness showed through last year, and we got very solid QB play with a lot of adversity.  The starting RB and WR hopeful go down early, the line had inadequate replacements for injury and Covid, until Voldheer came in.  

His decision making and release were as good as it gets.  Arm strength weakened, but this trait is overrated for players like Rivers, Brady, and old Peyton.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

We shall see.  But I want to clarify, I think Wentz will be at least decent, and I am maybe in the minority, but I think River's HOFness showed through last year, and we got very solid QB play with a lot of adversity.  The starting RB and WR hopeful go down early, the line had inadequate replacements for injury and Covid, until Voldheer came in.  

His decision making and release were as good as it gets.  Arm strength weakened, but this trait is overrated for players like Rivers, Brady, and old Peyton.

Yup. our passing game was top 10ish, and that was with Reich being pretty conservative. Rivers played very well for us. Yes, he had a few bad games with INTs early, but he settled down. Can't really ask for much more from a QB coming into a new scheme and having to develop all new chemistry with pass catchers. 

Wentz should be fine. I think just the fresh start will be a huge plus for him. Reich's scheme likely won't ask a lot of him early. Lot's of high % stuff until he's comfortable. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. our passing game was top 10ish, and that was with Reich being pretty conservative. Rivers played very well for us. Yes, he had a few bad games with INTs early, but he settled down. Can't really ask for much more from a QB coming into a new scheme and having to develop all new chemistry with pass catchers. 

Wentz should be fine. I think just the fresh start will be a huge plus for him. Reich's scheme likely won't ask a lot of him early. Lot's of high % stuff until he's comfortable. 

I hope the running game emphasis pays off.  I'm just dubious about it.  It's been quite some time since that kind of 80s, early 90s, type of ball has been the championship brand.  

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I hope the running game emphasis pays off.  I'm just dubious about it.  It's been quite some time since that kind of 80s, early 90s, type of ball has been the championship brand.  

I want to be well rounded, not really "run-first".

I'm sure we'll start the season run-first, but hope by mid season our run/pass % is close to the median. 

I don't think our D is good enough to live on our run.

• Like 1

Having Mack, Taylor and Hines as RB's could really be a game changer.  They can all catch the ball well and can open things up quite a bit if Reich chooses.   Doyle, Cox, Hilton Pittmann, Campbell, Pascal and the rest should be enough to keep the offense moving.   

• Like 1

with Clowney only getting 7 guaranteed (looks like 7.5 plus a possible 2.5 in incentives), guessing Houston's value will be a bit lower. 

Wonder if Baltimore gave him and offer (to be signed after the May comp deadline). With Irsay chiming in post Balt visit, hope that means Indy and JH are still chatting. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

with Clowney only getting 7 guaranteed (looks like 7.5 plus a possible 2.5 in incentives), guessing Houston's value will be a bit lower. 

Wonder if Baltimore gave him and offer (to be signed after the May comp deadline). With Irsay chiming in post Balt visit, hope that means Indy and JH are still chatting. 

I would have easily given Clowney 7 guaranteed and incentives.  That was not an expensive signing.  He will draw a lot of double teams and help their defense a lot.  I don’t think Houston get’s double teamed at all.  Oh well that’s water over the dam now.  So now we are HOPING we can still sign Houston for less and then keeping our fingers crossed he can still approach last years numbers.  This is quite a predicament we have gotten ourselves into.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would have easily given Clowney 7 guaranteed and incentives.  That was not an expensive signing.  He will draw a lot of double teams and help their defense a lot.  I don’t think Houston get’s double teamed at all.  Oh well that’s water over the dam now.  So now we are HOPING we can still sign Houston for less and then keeping our fingers crossed he can still approach last years numbers.  This is quite a predicament we have gotten ourselves into.  

Clowney will be opposite Garrett, and won't be asked to be "the guy". It's a great situation for him, and should also help Garrett out too. He'll be a much better RDE for them, than an LDE for us.

For the record, I've always wanted Houston re-signed. Personally was hoping for both Houston and Clowney lol.

• Like 4
On 4/13/2021 at 1:19 PM, Myles said:

Yep.... then @21 they can go BPA and not necessarily 'reach' on a guy who plays a position of need.

• Like 2
On 4/13/2021 at 4:26 PM, tweezy32 said:

Yeah DE is a need, but more factually,  a above average DE is a need. One who puts pressure on the QB, one who's a force.

We don't need a player,any player who just plays the position. We have enough bodies that already play the position.  Now in a Edge class that is said to be lacking, even if we draft a Edge at 21 or 54, we could STILL be lacking a forceful DE. Just drafting one doesn't mean he'll automatically be better than what we already have. It doesn't automatically mean we'll have a game wrecker this season as a rookie or next season with a years experience.