Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Countdown Part 2: 2nd Strongest and 2nd Weakest Position Group

Countdown Part 2: 2nd Strongest and 2nd Weakest Position Group  

42 members have voted

1. 1. 2nd Strongest Position Group

• QB (absent only QB2 from last year, swapped QB1s)
    • WR (returning all starters and most depth)
    • TE (returning top 2, loss of Burton who is still unsigned)
    • OL (returns 4 of 5 including 3 Pro Bowl guys, down LT, signed 2 swing Ts and a G)
    • CBs (returning all 3 starters, and depth aside from TJ Carrie)
    • Ss (returning both starters, down Wilson and Hooker, signed Davis)
    • LB (returning 2 of 3 starters, down Walker)
    • DT (returning both starters and Stallworth, tweener Lewis remains, down swingman Autry)
  2. 2. 2nd Weakest Position Group

• QB (absent only QB2 from last year, swapped QB1s)
    • WR (returning all starters and most depth)
    • TE (returning top 2, loss of Burton who is still unsigned)
    • OL (returns 4 of 5 including 3 Pro Bowl guys, down LT, signed 2 swing Ts and a G)
    • CBs (returning all 3 starters, and depth aside from TJ Carrie)
    • Ss (returning both starters, down Wilson and Hooker, signed Davis)
    • LB (returning 2 of 3 starters, down Walker)
    • DT (returning both starters and Stallworth, tweener Lewis remains, down swingman Autry)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/2021 at 03:58 AM

Part 1 looks like a runaway, so starting Part 2 early. Feel free to still vote on Part 1 though. 

Again, same exercise. This is not about team need or draft order, just simply ranking overall position groups (starters and depth), strongest to weakest. How that translates into need, or the draft, is another question.

So what is the 2nd strongest, and 2nd weakest position group, now that RB (strongest) and DE (weakest) have been removed.

So far

1. RB

2. Voting now

9. Voting now

10. DE

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting way of thinking about the team. It makes you realise how solid the roster is from top to bottom.

It's already tough to pick a group that's the weakest now that the obvious DE is off the board. I went with QB simply because there are a number of question marks about Wentz both players we have at the position. It could well be an excellent room. It's hard to be too confident about that at this stage though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went Linebacker despite Leonard obviously being elite we have question marks. Okereke could continue to develop and become more of a thumper but behind those two we dont have much.  E.J. Speed didnt show any growth last season, Franklin and Adams arent ever going to be starters, Glasgow is a special teams ace only and Skai moore likely would have been cut if he didnt opt out.  I know since only 2 LB play an overwhelming majority we dont need 5 players who could start effectively but having 3 is a must and 4 in case of injury would be great.  I think we need 2 more bodies ( 1 Draft, 1 Free Agency).

• Like 1

Went with OL behind DT for best. Our identity is the trenches.  Only reason OL is slightly behind DT is the unknown at LT.  I think they will be just fine but we will never know until the roster is complete and games are played.  This line can make every RB group in the league above average. DT has one of the best in the league with Buckner and Stewart is above average on 1st and 2nd down.  Lewis is going to make plays on 3rd down this year from the inside.  

TE is leaves a lot to be wanted.  Doyle is solid but more is needed.  MAC has the tools but not sure if he is under utilized, has health issues or is inconsistent.  Probably a combination of all three.  This position could use an upgrade for the future.  

• Like 1

2nd best OL - LT notwithstanding, this position is incredibly solid all around. If we manage to address LT in the draft or after the draft with some of the vets still available I feel pretty good about our OL. 

2nd weakest CB - this has potential to prove me wrong this year. We have several young players with potential to take the next step at outside CB and stabilize the position.

• Like 2

For me, after DE, the 3 groups who present the most concern are S, CB & TE.  The order can be shuffled around but, all three are weaknesses.  The level of that weakness can be debated but, still need addressed. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

This is an interesting way of thinking about the team. It makes you realise how solid the roster is from top to bottom.

It's already tough to pick a group that's the weakest now that the obvious DE is off the board. I went with QB simply because there are a number of question marks about Wentz both players we have at the position. It could well be an excellent room. It's hard to be too confident about that at this stage though.

Right now, and I stress right now, I feel "solid" about the O, not so solid about D. I feel really top heavy on D with Buckner and Leonard. The rest has a huge range, and a lot of questions. 

6 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I went Linebacker despite Leonard obviously being elite we have question marks. Okereke could continue to develop and become more of a thumper but behind those two we dont have much.  E.J. Speed didnt show any growth last season, Franklin and Adams arent ever going to be starters, Glasgow is a special teams ace only and Skai moore likely would have been cut if he didnt opt out.  I know since only 2 LB play an overwhelming majority we dont need 5 players who could start effectively but having 3 is a must and 4 in case of injury would be great.  I think we need 2 more bodies ( 1 Draft, 1 Free Agency).

I think LB behind Leonard is very questionable. Oke graded sub 50, and the other guys have been limited to STs or PS. I know LB is devalued at bit in the league, especially MIKE. I'd love to try and upgrade in the middle rounds this year. There are some decent LBers that could fall to the 4th that's I'd be interested in. 

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Went with OL behind DT for best. Our identity is the trenches.  Only reason OL is slightly behind DT is the unknown at LT.  I think they will be just fine but we will never know until the roster is complete and games are played.  This line can make every RB group in the league above average. DT has one of the best in the league with Buckner and Stewart is above average on 1st and 2nd down.  Lewis is going to make plays on 3rd down this year from the inside.  

TE is leaves a lot to be wanted.  Doyle is solid but more is needed.  MAC has the tools but not sure if he is under utilized, has health issues or is inconsistent.  Probably a combination of all three.  This position could use an upgrade for the future.  

A bit hard for me to really compare OL to DT in the grand scheme of things since it's a 5 spots vs 2. If I factored in DT with DE for an overall DL, DL would be one of my weakness. Looking at DT only, I think it's one of our strongest positions, given the Buckner-Stewart vs the run, and Buckner-Lewis vs the pass. My fear though is if we don't sign a DE FA like Houston, Lewis may not be able to slide in as much, and if he does, we might have a weak DE coming in.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

2nd best OL - LT notwithstanding, this position is incredibly solid all around. If we manage to address LT in the draft or after the draft with some of the vets still available I feel pretty good about our OL. 

2nd weakest CB - this has potential to prove me wrong this year. We have several young players with potential to take the next step at outside CB and stabilize the position.

Both CB and S are concerns for me. I think I'm more confident with CB (given we have Rhodes and Moore) than the S situation which was very poor the second half of the year. 

4 hours ago, joecolts said:

For me, after DE, the 3 groups who present the most concern are S, CB & TE.  The order can be shuffled around but, all three are weaknesses.  The level of that weakness can be debated but, still need addressed. 

• Like 2

2nd Weakest Position Group could be S, LB or maybe even CB and to be honest I scares me a bit that they all fell into the same “group” as being the rest of the defense after the DL. Not good. I picked S, but LB is not great beyond Leonard. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

2nd Weakest Position Group could be S, LB or maybe even CB and to be honest I scares me a bit that they all fell into the same “group” as being the rest of the defense after the DL. Not good. I picked S, but LB is not great beyond Leonard. 

Coverage scares me with all 3 of those groups. 

Only 3 of the 7 guys in that larger group are good to great. 

I'd say S scares me the most. If Blackmon improves on the back end though, could be a different story.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, holeymoley99 said:

I dont think we are able to tell how good the LBr group is at this point. 

The special teams was so good last year because of how many LBrs we had.