Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just curious who your target is for draft?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

2nd back surgery?   I had not read that.  But if true, that’s entirely different.   Two at this early age is a large red flag.   Feel bad for the kid.    Thanks for the good 411. 

I just checked. This is my bad... he didn't have a surgery in 2019. He had back spasms and missed the end of the season because of it, but no surgery. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What "experts" will continue to say:

The Colts will pick the best LT or Edge available. This is easy for them to say since our LT just retired, we just spent a lot of money and draft capital on Carson Wentz, and no one's pass rush or O-line is ever "good enough". 

What I would do if I were the GM (I know this has no real relevance since, like 99.9% of the world, I really have no idea of the full scope of this job or how to do it.):

I'm doing what I can to keep Carson Wentz comfortable. LT seems ideal, but that could also mean a better Guard prospect and moving Braden Smith or Quenton Nelson to LT. It could also mean a sure-handed receiver or TE to give him more targets. 

What Chris Ballard will do (He's a lot smarter than me about this);

Pick the player he thinks will improve the team the most or trade back. We might say that our linebackers already the strength of the team, but what if Ballard sees another Darius Leonard AND a good LT in the second round? We might say we have good running backs, but what if there's another Jonathon Taylor AND a good RT prospect in the second round or later? Going "chalk" is fine, but that doesn't make you better than everyone else.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What’s going on with Waddle?   Haven’t heard a word.    

I was going to ask Monday what people thought of drafting Farley.   I don’t see him falling to 21,  but I’d love to grab him if he did.    If there’s such a thing as a minor back injury, he’s got it. 

No way no how am I taking another Hooker type player. By that I mean one with injury histories/concerns. Not in the first or even the high 2nd

13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The key word is probably. I won't completely rule out WR but that's only if the OT and DE choices are garbage. 

BTW a good WR can be had later just like OT and you even said yourself class is deep 

True, but in todays game we actually need more than a "good wr", we actually need elite type/ playmaking wr to catch up to the elite offenses we may play if we make and go deep in the playoffs. We have a better chance of getting that in first round than later.

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

True, but in todays game we actually need more than a "good wr", we actually need elite type/ playmaking wr to catch up to the elite offenses we may play if we make and go deep in the playoffs. We have a better chance of getting that in first round than later.

I would tend to disagree. I would say you need to have good WR depth vs having an Elite WR, because when you get to the playoffs good teams tend to scheme away your best receiver. For example the buccaneers in the superbowl Mike Evans and Godwin had a total of 3 catches for 40 yards, while granted Kansas city Hill and Kelce had 17 catches for over 200 yards but as we know Mahomes never really had that 3rd or 4th option that could get open (which Sammy Watkins filled that role the year before) and had to scramble all over the place waiting for his number 1/2 guy to get open. 

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I would tend to disagree. I would say you need to have good WR depth vs having an Elite WR, because when you get to the playoffs good teams tend to scheme away your best receiver. For example the buccaneers in the superbowl Mike Evans and Godwin had a total of 3 catches for 40 yards, while granted Kansas city Hill and Kelce had 17 catches for over 200 yards but as we know Mahomes never really had that 3rd or 4th option that could get open (which Sammy Watkins filled that role the year before) and had to scramble all over the place waiting for his number 1/2 guy to get open. 

Well, if we could have schemed away Stefon Diggs in the playoffs, we probably would have won that wildcard game. And since we lacked a gamechanger of our own, it was a bit easier to play defense against us.

Point is your right to a degree, you do need a good supporting cast. When a team takes away your #1, a good #2 or # 3 or good TE can take advantage. 

If we had a Hopkins, Pittman/TY/Ertz*

will be better.

*assuming we get him. :D

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well, if we could have schemed away Stefon Diggs in the playoffs, we probably would have won that wildcard game. And since we lacked a gamechanger of our own, it was a bit easier to play defense against us.

Point is your right to a degree, you do need a good supporting cast. When a team takes away your #1, a good #2 or # 3 or good TE can take advantage. 

If we had a Hopkins, Pittman/TY/Ertz*

will be better.

*assuming we get him. :D

Well our secondary wasn't good that game Cole Beasley 7 for 7 and 57 yards, G. Davis 4 for 4 and 85 yards. Not to mention Allen's scrambling which just crushed us, and that last drive 2:30 left on the clock on our 14 yard line and our offense only gained 39 yards. That really sucked but I put that more on Rivers and play calling. which I am excited to see how it changes with Wentz.

Ugh I hate thinking about that game, that loss was rough

15 hours ago, stitches said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the RBs that much even if taking the positional value and needs out of the equation?

It may be a bit of a down year for RBs, but I'd say it's likely more about the shortened season for some with Covid, then lack of talent. Etienne, Harris, and both the UNC RBs should be pretty good. Etienne is a really well rounded prospect. Then you have a couple really good hybrid guys like Felton and Gainwell. You could even include one of the UNC guys in that bucket. 

Then add in the fact RB value is just diminished these days.

15 hours ago, stitches said:

My guess would be that BPA will be a player with injury/off-field concerns. There is a real chance Caleb Farley drops to us. There is a real chance Jaelan Phillips drops to us. There is an outside chance Waddle falls to us... All of them are top 10-15 type of talents without their injuries/health concerns. No idea what Ballard would do if some or all of them fall to us. He picked Blackmon last year relatively high, and Hooker in the first and both were still healing from serious injuries at the time of the draft. I guess we will have to wait and see ...

I keep seeing mocks with Paye falling to us.

Could be a very weird draft in terms of some guys falling, and teams reaching for some.

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Another favorite of mine ^ He's got production too... and Senior Bowl performer. 

Boom!   Mic drop!

Over on the NFL Network about an hour ago, DJ mentioned him as a personal favorite to keep on eye on in the 3rd round.  

Nicely done!     :thmup:

Archived