Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvell Tell III

Shadow_Creek

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Not to long ago Rolan Milligan Declared himself returning back from sitting out due to Covid. Does anyone know if Marvell is returning as well or is the covid rule of sitting out not gonna be in effect this year anyway so he would have to return regardless?

Yes

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Hoping all the opt outs got their covid shots, and a heavy dose of rust remover.

Yeah I think it will be Telling how much these guys worked during the opt out. Really hoping to Marvel at the conditioning and game play of #39 this fall.

39 minutes ago, twfish said:

It was honestly probably the best thing for Skai Moore to sit out a year vs being cut. Still think he is a solid player and keeps us from needing to draft another MLB with all the depth

It really was, with Walker gone his chance of staying on the 53 man roster has gone up

17 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Not to long ago Rolan Milligan Declared himself returning back from sitting out due to Covid. Does anyone know if Marvell is returning as well or is the covid rule of sitting out not gonna be in effect this year anyway so he would have to return regardless?

He is returning 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 8:38 PM, life long said:

A real competition with EJ Speed will be an exciting training camp battle.

I am anxious to see Speed get some starting reps at LB, and what Tell can do as a CB

They both have size / speed / weight needed......  I hope they both can rise to the occasion and play some downs

On 4/2/2021 at 8:56 PM, twfish said:

It was honestly probably the best thing for Skai Moore to sit out a year vs being cut. Still think he is a solid player and keeps us from needing to draft another MLB with all the depth

Agree that he would likely have been cut last year - whether he would have wound up on our PS or getting picked up elsewhere, I don't know for sure.  

As we saw last year, the D 'Flus is running very rarely is a true 4-3 with 4 DL, 3 LBs, 4 DBs - instead, we're using 4 DL and more often 2 LBs with 5 DBs (or less often 1 LB and 6 DBs).

My guess with Ballard not making much effort going after A-Walker is that we'll typically see Leonard and Okereke in 2 LB situations and that they've got confidence in Speed to use him in 3 LB situations.  If not, Franklin (though he had the most ST snaps on the team) is pretty adequate at LBer if needed as a backup.  Adams and Glasgow were used entirely on STs last year and I get the feeling Glasgow sort of carved out a niche for himself as a STer moving forward (i.e., unless drastic emergency, we won't see him on the field as a LBer but he'll be likely to keep a roster spot).  

I won't be shocked to see Ballard pick up a LB in the draft or bring in some UDFAs to battle for roster spots.  Heck, I won't be shocked to see him bring in a vet FA if the price is right.  It appears we should be set at LB, though Leonard has missed a game or more to injury each of his 3 years and Oke didn't seem to show much improvement between year 1 and 2.  

As I see it now, without any significant additions, Skai has a legit shot to beat out Adams since he probably fits the mold on what we're trying to do on D a bit more and Adams was used entirely as a ST guy last year (i.e., Moore basically needs to outcompete Adams for ST reps or be near him with a bit more upside as a back-up defender).  

I still rank OT, Edge, TE, WR as clear needs over LB.  Not as clear, but I have secondary as a bigger need than LB right now, too -- so I won't be shocked if we address the LB position in the draft, but agree that having Moore back gives us the option to go towards one of those positions instead of LB if the BPA is pretty close between a LBer and an aforementioned position.

One thing that'll be interesting to me is how Ballard and the coaching staff treat the guys who opted out.  Obviously we have no idea how conversations went with those players who opted out, and I don't know all their motivations for doing so (I believe Tell had a sick grandmother or something like that)... but I know Ballard doesn't like guys who he thinks opt not to play for their own benefit over that of the team (e.g., saying Ebron quit on the team with a minor ankle injury that Ebron elected to get season ending surgery on instead of toughing out the last 5-6 games two seasons ago).  If Ballard believes (as you somewhat eluded to) that Moore opted out rather than getting cut, I can see Moore being let go pretty early -- if Moore gave Ballard a legit reason to opt out, I hope Moore has kept himself in shape and is ready to ball out, as he seemed like a very solid playmaker at S. Carolina during his college years.

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am anxious to see Speed get some starting reps at LB, and what Tell can do as a CB

They both have size / speed / weight needed......  I hope they both can rise to the occasion and play some downs

Ballard and Flus both said last year that Speed is as physically gifted as any LB on our roster.  I think it was known he was a project since being drafted -- coming from a small school with limited LB experience (he was a QB in HS, converted to WR as a freshman at Tarleton State, then from WR to DE and eventually DE to LB).  He made a few big time plays on STs last year and in his limited action at LB, he looked fine to me (hard to judge, as most of his LB action was in garbage time).  My gut tells me the coaching staff has seen enough of him that they're pretty confident in what he can do at LB and I'm excited for it -- TBH, just athletically with him, Leonard and Oke we have to have one of the more purely athletic group of LBs in the league (e.g., what we may lose a pure FB player in AW, we probably make up for with Speed's pure athletic ability).  

In terms of Tell, I am excited for him.  He seemed to do well in his chances as a rookie and it's impossible to say, but my guess is with some of Ya-Sin's struggles last year, we may have seen Tell take over the CB2 role across from Rhodes by the mid-point of last season.  That said, I'm not giving up on Ya-Sin - I think he'll improve and will be a solid player, especially if we can generate a bit more pass rush.  I know one thing Ballard liked about Tell from day 1 was his ability to play CB or S if need be giving his size, range and athleticism.  Personally, I like Blackmon more as a SS than FS and don't dislike the idea of Tell lining up at FS, Blackmon as SS and Willis lining up in the box against TEs.  

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

If Ballard believes (as you somewhat eluded to) that Moore opted out rather than getting cut, I can see Moore being let go pretty early -- if Moore gave Ballard a legit reason to opt out, I hope Moore has kept himself in shape and is ready to ball out, as he seemed like a very solid playmaker at S. Carolina during his college years.

I'm not sure the reason Moore opted out, but one of the biggest things for him was lack of strength. If he used the time he wasn't playing wisely and got stronger, it may have been beneficial for him.

Archived