Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign AQM

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

In terms of guys at DE and Edge rating 6.3 or over

2021 - 8

2020 - 7

2019 - 9

2018 - 6

Worst anyone can remember? NFL.com's ratings sure doesn't scream worst. 

If folks are afraid of the class, it's because of opt outs and a shortened season. And that is an issue that impacts all positions.

Paye, Oweh, and Ojulari, are freaks. Rousseau and Phillips have monster production. You can go back and look at the last 4 or so classes. There's always bust potential.

Well...   they have high grades because they have high ceilings based on certain qualities.  But the best potential is with all of them.   You’ve written about it yourself.   This post is almost a 180 from previous writings. 

12 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Yes, I was listening to an NFL Network draft discussion today on Rousseau possibly dropping to the second round due to below average numbers on his pro day. I'd rather get a 10-year starter at tackle and try to piece together the defensive front than missing on another defensive end high in the draft.

Rousseau's numbers were disappointing, but really not unexpected after opting out last season.

Right now, we're looking at very mediocre to poor D. The bottom fell out of our secondary the second half of the year. Our LB core is only decent because of Leonard, and now our DL looks incredibly pedestrian if not poor aside from Buckner.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   they have high grades because they have high ceilings based on certain qualities.  But the best potential is with all of them.   You’ve written about it yourself.   This post is almost a 180 from previous writings. 

The DE class is about the same, which typically has 3-5 high end guys, and 3-5 more high end but questionable guys. That's pretty typical and the grading shows it. Not sure how that's 180? Feel free to elaborate.

And DEs don't typically make the impact early on. The OT class however is unusually deep. When Cosmi is your 8th highest graded OT, it's a very good Tackle class. OT is just a much safer position to draft, which is why it's even more important to go DE early.

PFF named each team's weakest positional group. 

Not surprisingly, Indy's weakest group is DL.

Here's what they have to say.

TLDR - we have two of the 5 lowest pressure rate DEs.... 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-weakest-team-positional-groups-2021-nfl-draft

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS’ EDGE DEFENDERS

Given Indianapolis' salary cap situation heading into this offseason, it’s surprising the team didn’t do more than sign Isaac Rochell to address the edge defender position. Rochell brings some experience, which many of his new edge-rushing teammates lack, but he hasn’t produced at a high level when on the field for the Los Angeles Chargers over the past four years. He peaked with a 55.1 PFF grade in 2018, and his 6.6% pressure rate since 2018 ranks dead last among edge defenders with at least 500 pass-rushing snaps.

Lowest pressure rate by an edge defender since 2018 (min. 500 snaps)

Player Snaps Pressures Rate

John Simon 573 46 8.0%

Tanoh Kpassagnon 897 68 7.6%

Al-Quadin Muhammad 819 61 7.4%

Solomon Thomas 563 40 7.1%

Isaac Rochell 776 51 6.6% 

Outside of Rochell, the internal options are Ben Banogu, Tyquan Lewis and Kemoko Turay. Lewis leads the way in career NFL snaps from that group (995), but he’s earned just a 53.3 overall grade in that playing time. Turay has flashed as a pass rusher, but that’s really all he gives you. He’s also struggled to stay healthy early in his career.

It’s a group that needs some attention, whether that be in the remaining free agent pool or the 2021 NFL Draft.

Archived