Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Laughing so hard at this podcast

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

its obvious irsay got involved in the ty hilton deal and forced ballards hand .  ty hilton said it talking to pat mcafee , that ballard low balled him and he was gonna sign with the ravens until irsay called him and agreed to pay more . its obvious ballard wanted to get younger and sign wakins who is 27 for 6 million instead of ty at 32 for 10 million . so this guy saying he heard from inside sources about this is lying he heard it from the pat mcafee show

That's not at all what what TY said on Pat's show. He said he got a better offer from Baltimore, but still wasn't sure which way to go and that at the last minute he got a call from Irsay that was his sign that he needed to come back to Indy. There was nothing about Irsay calling and undermining Ballard by offering more.

Please don't try to pass speculation off as fact. Either you didn't pay enough attention to what TY said or you're purposefully adding to the story to make it fit this "FO disarray" narrative. 

3 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

If you dont worry about extensions this yr.  You most certainly have to worry about LARGER extensions next yr.   

This team is not as far off as many of you think it is IMO

I agree the team MIGHT no be far off. It might be really far off though. Huge questions.

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

so looking at the roster now and 2022 as it is what positions do you feel like we can get away with going cheaper and replacing with unproven guys ?   the way the cap is teams have to chose some positions to be cheap at and some to spend at a premium . i understand we have to mix and match what we have but at a certain point when the roster gets ready we are gonna be in a spot where ballard has to choose between paying contracts to guys who both deserve it and chose which position is a must have .  in my opinion both lines and QB are the most important spot then you mix and match with what we got .   NE has been being cheap on weapons for 20 years and won 6 rings only really gronk was paid a lot . the patriots filled voids getting free agents on a bargain .

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i agree and would sign hooker for cheap .  I think are fine with bobby at mike though .  I am only worried about pass rusher and tackle really i think our weapons will be fine next year .   i think at corner we are okay rock is not as bad as people make him out to be he will be fine this year as the number 2 outside corner . 

So much to break down here. In terms of $ and draft...

In short to bullet point stuff...

High end positions that require either top $ or high draft

QB, DE1, CB1, 3T1, LT1, WR1

Top tier but less than the above 

DE2, WR2, CB2, C. RT. LG, FS, TE1

Medium

C, TE2, RB, SS, NT

Less than priority

RB2 or APB, TE2, LB2, RG, NT, 

Last thought of the starting 22 or regular rotation2

LB3, TE3, RB3

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So much to break down here. In terms of $ and draft...

In short to bullet point stuff...

High end positions that require either top $ or high draft

QB, DE1, CB1, 3T1, LT1, WR1

Top tier but less than the above 

DE2, WR2, CB2, C. RT. LG, FS

Medium

C, TE1, RB, SS, NT

Less than priority

RB2 or APB, TE2, LB2, RG, NT, 

Last thought of the starting 22 or regular rotation2

LB3, TE3, RB3

I think you’ve got NT twice.   Once at the end of medium needs, the other at the end of less than priority.  

Thought you might’ve left something out.... 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you’ve got NT twice.   Once at the end of medium needs, the other at the end of less than priority.  

Thought you might’ve left something out.... 

Thanks bro. I'm surprised I didn't overlap more given the speed plus the cocktail variant. Been watching the Ms and Ws BB games and talking on the phone. 

Cocktails + typing + phone = bad

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You post better when you are drinking wine, trust me not bad homer simpson GIF

My old norm is a fine red. I'm not afraid of a cheaper red though lol.

Haven't had either in a while. Did a decent vodka. Made me sleepy. 

Just had some ice tea, but think I'd be better off with another beach drink.

4 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

Jim knows a LOT about football.  He deserves to get his way when asked.   

Jim had to learn different aspects when his dad owned the Colts.

Like when Polian and Dungy were at a stalemate between (someone) and Dallas Clark.   Jimmy from the Colts said go TE.   LOL 

I remember Polian telling the story on Late Hits (SiriusXM NFL Radio show) one time, but Jim never 'tells' them directly, he goes about it smoothly while influencing the decision. He interrupted the two to discuss something.

When he finished, he asked them what they were discussing.  Bill said he and Tony were debating between Dallas Clark and an 'unnamed' defensive player for the draft. Jim responded-

“Dallas Clark is a special player, and if it were up to me, I’d take him,” Irsay said. “I’m not trying to pressure you. You do what you have to.” He left the room and shut the door.

Dungy looked at Polian.

“Looks like we’re taking Dallas Clark,” he said.

They did.

“He will offer his opinions,” Polian said, “but he always lets you make the call. He gives you every opportunity to do your job, and that’s all you can ask.”

Some people (not calling anyone out for sure).  do not realize how "football smart"  (and other smart) Irsay is 

Indeed. Polian says Jim reminds him of Ralph Wilson.  Sharp football minds but an old school heart toward relationships.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Jim had to learn different aspects when his dad owned the Colts.

I remember Polian telling the story on Late Hits (SiriusXM NFL Radio show) one time, but Jim never 'tells' them directly, he goes about it smoothly while influencing the decision. He interrupted the two to discuss something.

When he finished, he asked them what they were discussing.  Bill said he and Tony were debating between Dallas Clark and an 'unnamed' defensive player for the draft. Jim responded-

“Dallas Clark is a special player, and if it were up to me, I’d take him,” Irsay said. “I’m not trying to pressure you. You do what you have to.” He left the room and shut the door.

Dungy looked at Polian.

“Looks like we’re taking Dallas Clark,” he said.

They did.

“He will offer his opinions,” Polian said, “but he always lets you make the call. He gives you every opportunity to do your job, and that’s all you can ask.”

Indeed. Polian says Jim reminds him of Ralph Wilson.  Sharp football minds but an old school heart toward relationships.

Do we know who the player was? Nnamdi Asomugha, Rashean Mathis, Charles Tillman at CB...and Osi Umenyiora at DE all were 1st-2nd rounders after the Clark pick.

It would have been incredible to see a DL with Freeney, Mathis and Osi. Perhaps though...Mathis never becomes Mathis with Osi here...so scratch that.

What would have really been interesting is to see what difference one of those CB1s could have made on those stacked '04-05 teams where it was really needed. They actually took a CB (Strickland) with their 3rd round pick, so it was definitely a position they were targeting. Nnamdi wasn't a good fit because he was a man CB, but Rashean Mathis and Tillman would have been great fits. IF the Colts had one of them on the outside, it would have changed the defense I think (especially a year later when Sanders showed up).

You would have to give up Clark to do it, however, Jason Witten was also in that draft...and went #69 overall. Witten actually thought for sure the Colts were going to pick him, given his pre-draft conversations with PFM and that he was a TENN player.

So let's they draft one of Charles Tillman/Rashean Mathis in the 1st to address CB...and then follow it up with Witten in the 2nd round. Add in Robert Mathis and Cato June on Day 3...and that's easily the best Colts draft in history. 

Clark was the man though.

10 hours ago, Shive said:

That's not at all what what TY said on Pat's show. He said he got a better offer from Baltimore, but still wasn't sure which way to go and that at the last minute he got a call from Irsay that was his sign that he needed to come back to Indy. There was nothing about Irsay calling and undermining Ballard by offering more.

Please don't try to pass speculation off as fact. Either you didn't pay enough attention to what TY said or you're purposefully adding to the story to make it fit this "FO disarray" narrative. 

Thank you. I have been wondering why everyone keeps saying irsay just offered him more. TY said nothing like that.

15 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Do we know who the player was? Nnamdi Asomugha, Rashean Mathis, Charles Tillman at CB...and Osi Umenyiora at DE all were 1st-2nd rounders after the Clark pick.

It would have been incredible to see a DL with Freeney, Mathis and Osi. Perhaps though...Mathis never becomes Mathis with Osi here...so scratch that.

What would have really been interesting is to see what difference one of those CB1s could have made on those stacked '04-05 teams where it was really needed. They actually took a CB (Strickland) with their 3rd round pick, so it was definitely a position they were targeting. Nnamdi wasn't a good fit because he was a man CB, but Rashean Mathis and Tillman would have been great fits. IF the Colts had one of them on the outside, it would have changed the defense I think (especially a year later when Sanders showed up).

You would have to give up Clark to do it, however, Jason Witten was also in that draft...and went #69 overall. Witten actually thought for sure the Colts were going to pick him, given his pre-draft conversations with PFM and that he was a TENN player.

So let's they draft one of Charles Tillman/Rashean Mathis in the 1st to address CB...and then follow it up with Witten in the 2nd round. Add in Robert Mathis and Cato June on Day 3...and that's easily the best Colts draft in history. 

Clark was the man though.

Polian made great draft selections (thus became HOF) while in Indy. But neither he nor Dungy have never revealed that defensive players name (my shot in the dark gut feeling says Peanut). Here's just a few of many that helped shaped the Colts winning ways.

Select Peyton Manning (who he felt at worst would be Bernie Kosar level) over Ryan Leaf (who he was really unsure of) at QB.

Taking the wrong running back in Edgerrin James, who then lead the NFL in rushing his first 2 years and is the Colts all time rushing leader.

Chose a WR Peyton never heard of that eventually became the Colts all time games played leader (Reggie Wayne) even though Marvin Harrison was on the roster.

Convinced Dungy it was worth trading a 2004 4th round pick to move up in the 2003 round 5 draft and take unknown Alabama A&M DE, Robert Mathis, who is the Colts all time sack leader.

Was the first GM to 'take the risk' {size, play style, injury issues} and select the hit man Bob Sanders (AKA the Eraser as well as the Sandman) late in round 2 (certainly was round 1 talent!)

Many more to add (IE: Antoine Bethea, Cato June, Jeff Saturday ...)

But Jim Irsay made the best trade for the Colts in December 1997 when he sent a 3rd round draft pick to the Carolina Panthers to obtain Bill Polian. 

Who did the Panthers select with that pick? DE Chuck Wiley.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WileCh21.htm

Irsay is football smart in many ways, as BluesGirl mentions, and his decisions help lifted the Colts out of the pit of utter mediocrity and back into relevance once more.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Polian made great draft selections (thus became HOF) while in Indy. But he (nor Dungy) have never revealed that defensive players name (my shot in the dark gut feeling says Peanut). Here's just a few of many that helped shaped the Colts winning ways.

Select Peyton Manning (who he felt at worst would be Bernie Kosar level) over Ryan Leaf (who was really unsure of) at QB.

Taking the wrong running back, Edgerrin James, who then lead the NFL in rushing his first 2 years and is the Colts all time rushing leader.

Chose a WR Peyton never heard of that eventually became the Colts all time games played leader (Reggie Wayne) even though Marvin Harrison was on the roster.

Convinced Dungy it was worth trading a 2004 4th round pick to move up in the 2003 round 5 draft and take unknown Alabama A&M DE, Robert Mathis, who is the Colts all time sack leader.

Was the first GM to 'take the risk' {size, play style, injury issues} and select the hit man Bob Sanders (AKA the Eraser as well as the Sandman) late in round 2 (certainly was round 1 talent!)

Many more to add (IE: Antoine Bethea, Cato June, Jeff Saturday ...)

But Jim Irsay made the best trade for the Colts in December 1997 when he sent a 3rd round draft pick to the Carolina Panthers to obtain Bill Polian. 

Who did the Panthers select with that pick? DE Chuck Wiley.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WileCh21.htm

Irsay is football smart in many ways, as BluesGirl mentions, and his decisions help lifted the Colts out of the pit of utter mediocrity and back into relevance once more.

I have a hard time believing Peyton had never heard of Reggie

15 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

Jim knows a LOT about football.  He deserves to get his way when asked.    Like when Polian and Dungy were at a stalemate between (someone) and Dallas Clark.   Jimmy from the Colts said go TE.   LOL 

Some people (not calling anyone out for sure).  do not realize how "football smart"  (and other smart) Irsay is 

Plus...He is the OWNER.

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I have a hard time believing Peyton had never heard of Reggie

I understand the skepticism, however, it was reported as such. And I do remember reading it somewhere, likely in the Indy Star, or possibly Bill's book (via kindle app) on my iPad  "The Game Plan: The art of building a winning football team" (lot's of great stories in that book).  Often I heard Bill repeat such stories on his 'Late Hits' show appearances on NFL radio SiriusXM over the last few years.

I can even see how it might be true, as Reggie could have been overlooked by PM.  The Colts needed defense and already had Marvin Harrison on their team.  So it's possible PM was not really looking at WR's, per se. On top of that, It was believed by most that Reggie Wayne wasn't even the best receiver on his college team. That distinction would go to Santana Moss, who was drafted #16 (Colts took Wayne at #30). Moss had a very nice NFL career, but Wayne's was even better. The other first round receivers that year ( there were 4 others, totaling 5, before Wayne was picked) all became no-names; excepting Moss and Reggie.

Archived