Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2021 NFL Draft prospect rankings 3.0

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-3-0

Some noteable moves from his previous version:

-Kyle Pitts is his second ranked player. 

-Both Trey Lance and Justin Fields jump into the top 10 of his ranking. 

-Caleb Farley drops 12 spots(!!!) to no. 17 fter his surgery. Both Surtain and Horn jump ahead of him. I wonder if we draft him if he drops to 21? I've been listening to the Dallas Cowboys draft show and they seem to think he will suffer a massive drop because of that injury(possibly out of R1?!?!?) 

-Jamin Davis, LB Kentucky enters his top 30(jump of 11 spots)

-Azees Ojulari in top 30(jump of 10 spots)

-Mac Jones is no. 32 on his board. On a podcast yesterday he said that NFL teams almost unanimously think the 49ers made the move to no. 3 for him !!! @danlhart87 might turn out right  about him going top 10.

-Christian Darrisaw drops out of the top 30(drop of 10 spots)

-New additions to the top 50: Asante Samuel Jr(39), Quinn Meinerz(44), Elijah Molden(49)

Bonus: clip of him saying people in the league believe 49ers are taking Mac Jones:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

-Caleb Farley drops 12 spots(!!!) to no. 17 after his surgery. Both Surtain and Horn jump ahead of him. I wonder if we draft him if he drops to 21? I've been listening to the Dallas Cowboys draft show and they seem to think he will suffer a massive drop because of that injury(possibly out of R1?!?!?) 

Farley just ran a 4.28 40 today!  Don't think that surgery effected him to much.  If he drops to 21 I would hope Ballard would rush in the pick and grab this kid.

30 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

Farley just ran a 4.28 40 today!  Don't think that surgery effected him to much.  If he drops to 21 I would hope Ballard would rush in the pick and grab this kid.

The 40 time is from March 5th... before the surgery. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

@NewColtsFanWhat's the word on Little around Stanford? 

I would predict that if we had the normal combine and the players went through their normal drills, testing, physicals, interviews etc. that he would be ranked higher than he is even with his year off and an injury that is a few years old.  

• Like 1

Again the only thing I dislike about the rankings is almost every single tackle he classified as a right tackle or “better guard”. Slater he says can excel at LT even with no length and says Sewell has the most upside. I just hate that he classifies them all like this. Just me though. 

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

@NewColtsFanWhat's the word on Little around Stanford? 

Very...   quiet.   Very little.   Pun kinda sorta intended.   Information does not flow freely out of the program, especially these last few years as the program has declined.  

But, I’ll ask around...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very...   quiet.   Very little.   Pun kinda sorta intended.   Information does not flow freely out of the program, especially these last few years as the program has declined.  

But, I’ll ask around...  

It was very weird that he refused to go to the Senior Bowl even though he could have used exposure since he's missed almost 2 years of play now. Very very weird... he used to be thought of as a great prospect though... No idea what to make of him. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

It was very weird that he refused to go to the Senior Bowl even though he could have used exposure since he's missed almost 2 years of play now. Very very weird... he used to be thought of as a great prospect though... No idea what to make of him. 

Totally agreed.   

I know he's been at one of those private elite workout camps.    Axos?    Does that sound right?    So, he has been working out and in training.

Turns out today,  Stanford is having a second pro day for a couple of OL who, for some unknown reason,  were unable to perform about 10-12 days ago.     Drew Dalman, who is likely a 5th or 6th round Center.   Foster Sarell, likely a 7th round guard or more likely a FA.      Sarell is the cautionary tale...   he was in the same class as Little.   They became good friends.   Little, outside of the injuries, mostly lived up to the hype.    While Sarell,  mostly....    didn't.   I don't see him as a tackle at the NFL level.   Needs to be protected as a guard.    But he'll need a year or two on a PS to figure things out.    He'll never be a starter,  but might --- might --- become a depth guy.

Dalman will not be a candidate for a number of teams.   He's basically 6'3' and 295-ish.   Too small for many teams.    I think he's draftable, but late.  And would be a decent back-up.     Stanford kids are super smart.  Some are scary smart.   They can typically figure things out.   It's more a question of having the physical gifts or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Again the only thing I dislike about the rankings is almost every single tackle he classified as a right tackle or “better guard”. Slater he says can excel at LT even with no length and says Sewell has the most upside. I just hate that he classifies them all like this. Just me though. 

I'm not understanding what you don't like?

I think DJ is trying to say there are very few and clear and obvious Left Tackles.   Even fewer that can start on Day One.

Some of these guys will likely need a year or two as a Right Tackle before making the move to the Left Side.

Some will only be a Right Tackle.   They'll never be able to make the switch.

And some,  even though they've been successful tackles in college, would probably be better as NFL guards.   Guys like Leatherwood,  or even perhaps Jenkins. 

He's trying to say this isn't as black and white as some make this class out to be.

Late Edit:   For what little it's worth:   Slater is one of my favorite OL candidates I can remember.   Ask yourself this....    how many guys have come into the NFL with a reputation that they could likely start at ANY of the 5 different OL spots as a rookie?!?    He might not ever be great as a LT,  but he might be average to above average.    He's got short arms,  but great feet and super smart.   That goes a long way on the OL.   I love him.   Think some team will be lucky to draft him.

It’s weird that he doesn’t have Cosmi in his top 50 despite the fact that he started 34 out of 35 games in college, has great tape, and had one of the best pro day workouts ever for an offensive lineman in terms of athletic testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s weird that he doesn’t have Cosmi in his top 50 despite the fact that he started 34 out of 35 games in college, has great tape, and had one of the best pro day workouts ever for an offensive lineman in terms of athletic testing.

After the RAS Cosmi is a guaranteed 1st Rounder IMO

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

After the RAS Cosmi is a guaranteed 1st Rounder IMO

Agreed. IIRC he had like the 2nd or 3rd best RAS of all time for his position, and again, he has the tape to match. I think his OT #3 after Sewell and Slater if you think Vera-Tucker is a guard.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. IIRC he had like the 2nd or 3rd best RAS of all time for his position, and again, he has the tape to match. I think his OT #3 after Sewell and Slater if you think Vera-Tucker is a guard.

Or he’s OT#4 I’d you think Darrisaw belongs in that company.   

To the best of my knowledge, Jeremiah, who I really like, is the only top evaluator to not have Darrisaw out of the first round. And he’s got Cosmi out of his top-50.  So his is a minority view.   Which doesn’t make him wrong, but it should acknowledged.  

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not understanding what you don't like?

I think DJ is trying to say there are very few and clear and obvious Left Tackles.   Even fewer that can start on Day One.

Some of these guys will likely need a year or two as a Right Tackle before making the move to the Left Side.

Some will only be a Right Tackle.   They'll never be able to make the switch.

And some,  even though they've been successful tackles in college, would probably be better as NFL guards.   Guys like Leatherwood,  or even perhaps Jenkins. 

He's trying to say this isn't as black and white as some make this class out to be.

Late Edit:   For what little it's worth:   Slater is one of my favorite OL candidates I can remember.   Ask yourself this....    how many guys have come into the NFL with a reputation that they could likely start at ANY of the 5 different OL spots as a rookie?!?    He might not ever be great as a LT,  but he might be average to above average.    He's got short arms,  but great feet and super smart.   That goes a long way on the OL.   I love him.   Think some team will be lucky to draft him.

To me I see it as a lack of digging deeper. He says Slater has no length but yet says he can excel at LT. Then talks about a guy like Darrisaw who has good length and says he is a right tackle just because he will struggle in space. That’s lazy scouting to me. I mean it’s just the write-ups I guess because trust me I know he is a better scout than me. I am not saying, I repeat I am not saying I am on his level of scouting, but in this regard I am calling him out and saying he is just plying it safe. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Or he’s OT#4 I’d you think Darrisaw belongs in that company.   

To the best of my knowledge, Jeremiah, who I really like, is the only top evaluator to not have Darrisaw out of the first round. And he’s got Cosmi out of his top-50.  So his is a minority view.   Which doesn’t make him wrong, but it should acknowledged.  

What’s most surprising is that DJ’s minority opinions are usually him being higher on certain prospects than most. Rarely is he way lower on guys that everyone is high on. Like you said, it doesn’t make him wrong though.

• Thanks 1

PFF just released their Top 100 prospect ranking.  They have Little at no. 24 after his ELITE pro day.  They said it appears he is really putting in the work.  He was the fourth tackle named on this list.  They had six tackles listed in their first 32 players.  

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

PFF just released their Top 100 prospect ranking.  They have Little at no. 24 after his ELITE pro day.  They said it appears he is really putting in the work.  He was the fourth tackle named on this list.  They had six tackles listed in their first 32 players.  

This just tells me if Ballard dropped from No.21 to the end of the first round (say to the Saints spot), he will still be able to come away with a very good tackle prospect.

Knowing he does like RAS scores in his evaluation (a reason why Braden Smith was drafted well ahead of what a lot of draft pundits said he would be), Cosmi will be a Top 4 OT on Ballard's list, IMO.

• Thanks 1

Okay just looked at his top 50 seems like he thinks Sewell is the only LT in the draft, the others he says should play right tackle or guard. Which is an interesting take

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

This just tells me if Ballard dropped from No.21 to the end of the first round (say to the Saints spot), he will still be able to come away with a very good tackle prospect.

Knowing he does like RAS scores in his evaluation (a reason why Braden Smith was drafted well ahead of what a lot of draft pundits said he would be), Cosmi will be a Top 4 OT on Ballard's list, IMO.

Cosmi is number 37 on their list of top 100 prospects.  Their 7th rated tackle.  So he would be a possibility at the end of the 1st rd according to their ranking.