Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Julien Davenport

RockThatBlue

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Maybe the plan isn’t for them to start but one of them can if the draft doesn’t fall how we want.  Nelson, TE help and QB play/scheme can cover up average LT play next year if needed. I still think Ballard will be looking for a long term replacement in the draft but won’t force a pick if the value isnt there. 

Yep this is what I think.   Because if for some reason there is no one they rate high enough at 21 or 54 or where ever, then everyone one will say CB should have done something at least in FA.  So he has that covered.   

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

There is also a chance one of these two could be the starter until Fisher is ready.  Sign these two first then move on to Fisher.  A real long shot I know but it is another scenario.  Even in this suggestion they could still draft a LT.  Fisher would not be an expensive signing IMO. 

Also another very good possibility.    You never know 

I like what Chris Ballard is doing, you have to remember last year, no camp he had to go with those depth tackles we had. when AC went down they showed their true colors on how bad they were. CB will not make that mistake again. Can you imagine , knowing the competitor he is watching those turnstile LT. My opinion he takes a LT with 21 and has him for 5 years on the cheap so to speak. these other signings are just for better depth......JMO

3 hours ago, carmelcolt said:

I like what Chris Ballard is doing, you have to remember last year, no camp he had to go with those depth tackles we had. when AC went down they showed their true colors on how bad they were. CB will not make that mistake again. Can you imagine , knowing the competitor he is watching those turnstile LT. My opinion he takes a LT with 21 and has him for 5 years on the cheap so to speak. these other signings are just for better depth......JMO

Who's to say these new, cheap, and as of date  below average tackles will be better than last years backups?

On 3/30/2021 at 12:18 AM, Superman said:

Everyone on the Internet said it. It's easy to take big risks with nothing at stake. 

Once he didn't get taken in the first round, Collins and his agents said he would sit out if anyone drafted him. Then he signed with the Cowboys, which is what he wanted. It was a tough situation to navigate for everyone involved. Collins and his reps rolled the dice, and it worked out well for them. 

I would have bet a 7th round pick it was a bluff.  If he followed through on his threat you lost a 7th round pick, no big deal.  The reward far outweighed the risk IMO.

On 3/31/2021 at 12:27 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Who's to say these new, cheap, and as of date  below average tackles will be better than last years backups?

Well lets hope if they are if needed to fill in they will at least put up some sort of resistance when a DE is on his way to the QB. I can't imagine them being worse, hopefully we won't have to find out :Gaah:

2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

below average talent lives in the bargain bin

Once upon a time, Mark Glowinski was a below average talent.  So was Kenny Moore.  Now look at them.   Glow is a solid NFL player that we’re happy to have.  Moore is one of the top nickel corners, and he was cut by the Patriots.

And that kind of story happens all the time in the NFL.  A guy knocks around for a few years.   Suddenly he matures a little but physically and mentally.   He connects with his position coach in a way he hasn’t before.   He gets an opportunity and makes the most of it.  

Id guess every NFL team has a Mark Glowinski.   I’d guess 1/4 to 1/2 of the teams have a Kenny Moore.   Even on Grigson’s watch we snagged Darius Butler.  These type of stories are common, especially if you have good scouting and good player development.

Dumpster diving for players is not a bad thing.  Very little downside and often plenty of surprising upside. 

Here’s the thing that most fans should remember.  Fans tend to judge players on what they have done.  GMs look at players based on what they think they can do.  So let’s just see how Davenport develops.  I also don’t think he was signed to be a starter.  He was signed to provide depth to a unit that badly needs it.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Once upon a time, Mark Glowinski was a below average talent.  So was Kenny Moore.  Now look at them.   Glow is a solid NFL player that we’re happy to have.  Moore is one of the top nickel corners, and he was cut by the Patriots.

And that kind of story happens all the time in the NFL.  A guy knocks around for a few years.   Suddenly he matures a little but physically and mentally.   He connects with his position coach in a way he hasn’t before.   He gets an opportunity and makes the most of it.  

Id guess every NFL team has a Mark Glowinski.   I’d guess 1/4 to 1/2 of the teams have a Kenny Moore.   Even on Grigson’s watch we snagged Darius Butler.  These type of stories are common, especially if you have good scouting and good player development.

Dumpster diving for players is not a bad thing.  Very little downside and often plenty of surprising upside. 

Thank you!  A very well and reasoned reply.  I am hopeful to catch lightning in a bottle with him or Tevi as a much needed swing tackle.

3 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

for every kenney moore there are a dozen hank basketts on the clearance sale rack bad way to fill a team with elite playmaking talent

You're making a strawman argument.   Because no one is saying this is the way you “fill a team with elite play making talent”.   No one is saying that.

We were only responding to your clearly false assertion that you can’t find talent in bargain basement shopping.   That’s false.   And it costs next to nothing to explore.   

Ballard is looking for elite talent primarily in the draft.  Or with a rare select trade.   Or a value signing from free agency.   Shopping in the bargain isle at the 99 cent store might not get you much 9 out of 10 times.   But the one time it works,  you can find a very helpful player. 

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're making a strawman argument.   Because no one is saying this is the way you “fill a team with elite play making talent”.   No one is saying that.

We were only responding to your clearly false assertion that you can’t find talent in bargain basement shopping.   That’s false.   And it costs next to nothing to explore.   

Ballard is looking for elite talent primarily in the draft.  Or with a rare select trade.   Or a value signing from free agency.   Shopping in the bargain isle at the 99 cent store might not get you much 9 out of 10 times.   But the one time it works,  you can find a very helpful player. 

We've got some decent value at the 5 and dime store.

Great bargains

Rhodes

Moore

Good bargains

TJ Carrie

Wilson

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard has done very well building depth on this team from these "bargain" players.  He seems to target players aged 24-27 years that have underperformed in their careers so far.  Low risk.  Low budget.  Great reward.  

Archived