Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Julien Davenport

Saw this as well. This and the Sam Tevi signing tell me they’re probably parting ways with Clark and are looking for better depth at tackle. I still think the starter at LT will come from the draft unless we trade for one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Saw this as well. This and the Sam Tevi signing tell me they’re probably parting ways with Clark and are looking for better depth at tackle. I still think the starter at LT will come from the draft unless we trade for one.

Agreed.  A camp body and these two FA signings are for depth, not likely starting LT.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/colts-to-sign-julien-davenport

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Clark is a FA but I agree they will not resign him or Green IMO. 

Davenport could be the starter day 1 but yes a rookie will still be drafted early to take the reigns. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This signing allows flexibility in the draft. Fill holes in FA and get BPA in the draft. It’s a deep OT draft so maybe the plan is to go ER in the first with hopes a tackle is still there in the 2nd. If they all are gone by the time we pick it’s ok bc we have other options and they can try again the next year. Maybe it’s hedging the bet in case the rookie OT they take in the first doesn’t work out. The draft is so unpredictable it’s best to not have glaring holes that force your hand.  It would be a bad move long term to take a position of need when that player is fifth on your board bc the next person at his position is 25th on your board. That’s passing on 4 better players bc you have to get someone. Of course those are all made up numbers just to provide context. I have no idea how the Colts rank prospects. 

It does show why you see teams that force the QB position struggle so much. They force the move when there is no team or means to build one around the player.  The rams and 49rs will be in a world of trouble in 3-4yrs and need a rebuild. If they win it’s genius but if I were a betting man I would take the field.  

• Like 4

A very Ballard-like signing. Seems like the kid has some promise and, as others have said above, be a day 1 starter if our rookie LT isn't quite there yet and we don't sign a other FA. What does that bring the total number of tackles to, 6, 7, 8 that are coming to camp?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

This signing allows flexibility in the draft. Fill holes in FA and get BPA in the draft. It’s a deep OT draft so maybe the plan is to go ER in the first with hopes a tackle is still there in the 2nd. If they all are gone by the time we pick it’s ok bc we have other options and they can try again the next year. Maybe it’s hedging the bet in case the rookie OT they take in the first doesn’t work out. The draft is so unpredictable it’s best to not have glaring holes that force your hand.  It would be a bad move long term to take a position of need when that player is fifth on your board bc the next person at his position is 25th on your board. That’s passing on 4 better players bc you have to get someone. Of course those are all made up numbers just to provide context. I have no idea how the Colts rank prospects. 

It does show why you see teams that force the QB position struggle so much. They force the move when there is no team or means to build one around the player.  The rams and 49rs will be in a world of trouble in 3-4yrs and need a rebuild. If they win it’s genius but if I were a betting man I would take the field.  

I don’t think Davenport or Tevi are options to start at LT. Neither have been good in their NFL careers. And I can’t think of any notable players in recent memory who have been below average their first couple years in the league that went to another team and started and were successful. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think Davenport or Tevi are options to start at LT. Neither have been good in their NFL careers. And I can’t think of any notable players in recent memory who have been below average their first couple years in the league that went to another team and started and were successful. 

Glowinski?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We now have a young guy in Holden who showed promise and two vets for backup tackle. Maybe two of them make the team. We are in a much better spot then we were last season with regards to backup tackle. 

• Like 1

Just my opinion, the Davenport and Tevi signings our to promote competition in the hopes of improving depth at the tackle position. 

Its the NFL so no guarantees but it was necessary because we knew our current depth situation wasn't getting the job done. 

We are probably over analyzing this because the lack of activity in this off-season. 

While some people might be upset about it I am excited about it. I think the lack of movement shows that CB is more comfortable with this roster than a lot of us fans. The closer we get the less frequent his roster moves will be because he thinks the roster is really solid and moves now are going to be more quality and tactically thought through. 

Its my belief CB thinks we're sitting on a contender right now. 

Only time will tell but I am looking forward to this season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Cannot think of a LT, but Glowinski was horrible with Seattle for his first 3 years in the league to the point they cut before the end of the season. Both Tevi and Davenport fit that mold too - traitsy/toolsy/athletic OL who have some experience, but have largely underwhelmed. In essence, Ballard is betting that they fit better in our system and that we will be able to extract much better play out of them, Also worth pointing out that a lot of OL underwhelm early in their careers and take some time and experience to improve their play. I don't think the chance is great that either of them is the solution, but if we won't be taking on a proven vet, I don't mind that approach - multiple shots at players who are still young and have some tools and athleticism, that we might be able to unlock. Low risk signings. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We now have a young guy in Holden who showed promise and two vets for backup tackle. Maybe two of them make the team. We are in a much better spot then we were last season with regards to backup tackle. 

I thought Holden played decent, until he got hurt. 

• Like 2

I’ve got one.   And a good one.   OT Jason Peters.   His first four years with Buffalo.   Cut.    Grabbed by Philly...   turned into a very good player for a long number of years.

I suspect there are more.   OL often grown into their bodies late.   They’re putting on more good weight.  They’re figuring it out.  But get cut by an impatient team.

Heck, if Zach Banner turns into something for Pitts, then he’d be one.   

And now that I think of it, Pitts grabbed Villanueva off the PS from Philly when he was a nobody.  AV learned in the job.  Had a very rough first year, and then blossomed nicely into a good solid OT.   Hope he lands with a quality team soon. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Cannot think of a LT, but Glowinski was horrible with Seattle for his first 3 years in the league to the point they cut before the end of the season. Both Tevi and Davenport fit that mold too - traitsy/toolsy/athletic OL who have some experience, but have largely underwhelmed. In essence, Ballard is betting that they fit better in our system and that we will be able to extract much better play out of them, Also worth pointing out that a lot of OL underwhelm early in their careers and take some time and experience to improve their play. I don't think the chance is great that either of them is the solution, but if we won't be taking on a proven vet, I don't mind that approach - multiple shots at players who are still young and have some tools and athleticism, that we might be able to unlock. Low risk signings. 

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve got one.   And a good one.   OT Jason Peters.   His first four years with Buffalo.   Cut.    Grabbed by Philly...   turned into a very good player for a long number of years.

I suspect there are more.   OL often grown into their bodies late.   They’re putting on more good weight.  They’re figuring it out.  But get cut by an impatient team.

And now that I think of it, Pitts grabbed Villanueva off the PS from Philly when he was a nobody.  AV learned in the job.  Had a very rough first year, and then blossomed nicely into a good solid OT.   Hope he lands with a quality team soon. 

lI stand corrected. Yeah Glowinski is a good one. He’s turned into a solid starter and had a career year in 2020.

Had no idea about Jason Peters. It’s definitely possible.  And Peters is an even better example than Glow because he plays LT which is a harder position and is the parallel I was looking for.

With that being sad though, I’d still temper expectations. In the case of Davenport and Tevi their respective teams let them walk and will probably be drafting/have drafted someone to take their spot, which the Colts also have the option of doing. Personally I’d love if one of them could be the answer because that would cross a need off the board and the Colts can be more creative in the draft. But as of right now, I think they’re depth signings competing for roster spots. Now if the Colts don’t get a LT prospect early or at all in the draft, then we’ll have to revisit this conversation.

But yeah those are two good examples you guys provided. My mistake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

lI stand corrected. Yeah Glowinski is a good one. He’s turned into a solid starter and had a career year in 2020.

Had no idea about Jason Peters. It’s definitely possible.  And Peters is an even better example than Glow because he plays LT which is a harder position and is the parallel I was looking for.

With that being sad though, I’d still temper expectations. In the case of Davenport and Tevi their respective teams let them walk and will probably be drafting/have drafted someone to take their spot, which the Colts also have the option of doing. Personally I’d love if one of them could be the answer because that would cross a need off the board and the Colts can be more creative in the draft. But as of right now, I think they’re depth signings competing for roster spots. Now if the Colts don’t get a LT prospect early or at all in the draft, then we’ll have to revisit this conversation.

Eric FIsher was thought of as a bust initially and he turned into a pretty good LT by the end of his rookie deal too. 

La'el Collins too... 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

No worries...   it’s all good.  

As for Tevi and Davenport...   I do wonder if our front office thinks one of these guys is going to be our 2021 starting LT?   I think I’ve read Tevi has started 44 games the last 3 years.   I don’t think we’re going buy another LT like Villanueva or Okung.   I wish we would, but I don’t think so.  

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for Tevi and Davenport...   I do wonder if our front office thinks one of these guys is going to be our 2021 starting LT?   I think I’ve read Tevi has started 44 games the last 3 years.   I don’t think we’re going buy another LT like Villanueva or Okung.   I wish we would, but I don’t think so.  

Agree I think Ballard waits to see hoe Draft turns out and then maybe signs Fisher if they don't get a starting caliber OT.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for Tevi and Davenport...   I do wonder if our front office thinks one of these guys is going to be our 2021 starting LT!

keanu reeves film GIF

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, stitches said:

Eric FIsher was thought of as a bust initially and he turned into a pretty good LT by the end of his rookie deal too. 

That's exactly who I thought of. First overall pick in an ugly draft, and while he was constant in the lineup, he had a rough first couple of years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe the plan isn’t for them to start but one of them can if the draft doesn’t fall how we want.  Nelson, TE help and QB play/scheme can cover up average LT play next year if needed. I still think Ballard will be looking for a long term replacement in the draft but won’t force a pick if the value isnt there. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stitches said:

La'el Collins too... 

Well Collins was a projected 1st rounder but was initially a suspect in the death of his gf, so he went undrafted. I guess expectations for him didn’t really matter since he didn’t cost anything to get, but I see your point.

Fisher is a weird one too. Started off really rough, then started playing good. Then his play fell off a bit and he got injured and the Chiefs decided to just cut him. 

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

There is also a chance one of these two could be the starter until Fisher is ready.  Sign these two first then move on to Fisher.  A real long shot I know but it is another scenario.  Even in this suggestion they could still draft a LT.  Fisher would not be an expensive signing IMO. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Peter's was a converted tight end coming out of college.    His first snaps at OT were in his first NFL training camp.    He went on to become a pro bowl left tackle for the bills.    The Eagles traded a first round pick for him.    He wasn't cut

• Thanks 2

Like this Davenport signing more then the Tevi one.  Also believe that will add a tackle in one of the first two rounds of the draft.  Let them battle it out throughout the preseason to see who our week one starter is.  As long as we don't kick Nelson out to LT I would be fine with this.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Peter's was a converted tight end coming out of college.    His first snaps at OT were in his first NFL training camp.    He went on to become a pro bowl left tackle for the bills.    The Eagles traded a first round pick for him.    He wasn't cut

Thanks.   Brain cramp by me.   As soon as I read your post I knew you were right.

@Defjamz26    Heads up!   Turns out I’m wrong.   Read JVan’s post to me above.  Sorry for the confusion.  My bad. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Maybe the plan isn’t for them to start but one of them can if the draft doesn’t fall how we want.  Nelson, TE help and QB play/scheme can cover up average LT play next year if needed. I still think Ballard will be looking for a long term replacement in the draft but won’t force a pick if the value isnt there. 

Nailed it

• Like 1

From Stampede Blue....

Per PFF (subscription), Davenport received a +71.3 overall grade in 2020—including a +87.6 pass blocking grade, albeit in limited snaps (53 total snaps—33 of which were at left tackle).

He’s a season removed from a +56.5 overall grade in 2019—having had 484 total snaps at left tackle and 49 total snaps at right tackle respectively.

The 6’7”, 313 pound offensive tackle has experience at both tackle spots—as he has 1,550 career snaps at left tackle, 254 snaps at right tackle, and 104 snaps as an in-line tight end.

So......last season, he makes a marked improvement over the previous season. He comes in on a low cost deal. Nice job, Ballard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, stitches said:

La'el Collins too... 

I was just about to mention Fisher.

Collins had a some baggage coming out too. which caused his drop

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was just about to mention Fisher.

Collins had a some baggage coming out too. which caused his drop

Collins baggage was personal, but not professional.   A murdered pregnant ex-girlfriend.    He was un-draftable  until proven innocent.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Collins baggage was personal, but not professional.   A murdered pregnant ex-girlfriend.    He was un-draftable  until proven innocent.  

correct. I still would have taken a flyer with a 7th

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think it was right after the Aaron Hernandez fiasco and nobody wanted to touch him. Kinda sad bc it cost him millions but that’s how life goes sometimes. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You're not alone.   Many here said they’d do the same.

Collins and his agent asked all teams not to draft him.   He signed as a FA. 

But, imagine the PR fallout if you drafted him and he was guilty.   You’d forever be connected to that stain.   No owner was going to allow that.   Too great a risk. 

• Like 1

Another awful player.

You want quality depth - not this awfulness.

The comparisons with Glowinski coming in from the Seahawks are beyond ignorant. 

Ballard better draft a tackle high in the draft. For Carson’s sake.

• Confused 2
9 minutes ago, James said:

Another awful player.

You want quality depth - not this awfulness.

The comparisons with Glowinski coming in from the Seahawks are beyond ignorant. 

Ballard better draft a tackle high in the draft. For Carson’s sake.

I'm sure Colts draft OT at 21 or 54 so no worries 

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Well Collins was a projected 1st rounder but was initially a suspect in the death of his gf, so he went undrafted. I guess expectations for him didn’t really matter since he didn’t cost anything to get, but I see your point.

Fisher is a weird one too. Started off really rough, then started playing good. Then his play fell off a bit and he got injured and the Chiefs decided to just cut him. 

I thought the point with Collins was that his play in his first three seasons was up and down, especially once he went from guard to right tackle. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're not alone.   Many here said they’d do the same.

Collins and his agent asked all teams not to draft him.   He signed as a FA. 

But, imagine the PR fallout if you drafted him and he was guilty.   You’d forever be connected to that stain.   No owner was going to allow that.   Too great a risk. 

Everyone on the Internet said it. It's easy to take big risks with nothing at stake. 

Once he didn't get taken in the first round, Collins and his agents said he would sit out if anyone drafted him. Then he signed with the Cowboys, which is what he wanted. It was a tough situation to navigate for everyone involved. Collins and his reps rolled the dice, and it worked out well for them. 

• Like 1