Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IU bball hires Woodson

Thad Matta was hired in an administrative capacity.

Mike Woodson isn't a flashy name but I think it's important to look at the context of his time as the Hawks and Knicks coach. He had some bright spots at two terrible franchises. 

I think Matta should help a lot given his experience. On paper he is a great fit for his role. The biggest question here is how well these two work together. 

Looks like a lot of former IU players are on board with this hire.  Here is a story from Rick Bozich, long time local sports columnist for the Courier Journal in Louisville, and now works for WDRB-TV - 

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-rewards-outweigh-risks-as-mike-woodson-takes-over-indiana-basketball/article_c5415a32-90b2-11eb-8840-5f92bc38ded5.html

On 3/29/2021 at 9:47 AM, RockThatBlue said:

This might be a good hire. I did not realize that Woodson was still with the Knicks. I thought he was the Knicks head coach many years ago. He must have returned as an assistant.

Good luck to them. 

I think Fife is a terrific hire by Mike Woodson. People are very dismissive of Fife based on his record at IPFW but, much like Woodson, if you look at the context of the situation he worked in it's impressive, imo. Spending 10 years as the lead assistant for one of the best head coaches in the sport, at another Big Ten school at that, will be a plus.

Woodson is also keeping Kenya Hunter as an assistant. I think that leaves one spot left on his staff. I wonder if he will bring in someone he knows and has coached with before to round out the staff.

• 2 months later...

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Really sad bc IU success is good for the state. Guess they have become so irrelevant I’m just now hearing of this. I know the feeling bc I’m a Tennessee Vols fan and our football program is a joke. We got the guy from UCF and I still don’t know his name either. 20yrs ago these two teams were national contenders....now they are just a notch above most mid major programs. 

19 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Really sad bc IU success is good for the state. Guess they have become so irrelevant I’m just now hearing of this. I know the feeling bc I’m a Tennessee Vols fan and our football program is a joke. We got the guy from UCF and I still don’t know his name either. 20yrs ago these two teams were national contenders....now they are just a notch above most mid major programs. 

I started watching sports roughly around the late 70's as a young kid and it goes in waves for me to which is my favorite sport. College Basketball (I.U.), NFL (Colts since 1984), NBA (Pacers), and MLB (Cubs since 1984). College Basketball was my favorite sport during the 80's/early 90's. I rarely missed an IU game and even went to a few games. College Basketball was different back then, players stayed 3 or 4 years on teams and you got to know them. Teams were great back then! Now days it is a mess - no explanation needed, I don't even watch much. During the 90's I watched NBA a lot because of Reggie and the Pacers. Michael Jordan basically ruined the 90's though because the Bulls were so great, you already knew who was going to win the NBA Championship before the season started. Pacers had them beat in 1998 ECFinals and just choked it away - that was our chance. The NFL from the 2000's up through Luck's 1st 3 years was my favorite by far = 2000-2014. The Peyton years from 2003-2009 are pretty hard to top. Since 2015 when the Cubs rebuilt and were young and upcoming I have watched more Baseball than other sport, Cubs winning it all in 2016 was like the Colts winning it all in 2006 to me. Today I mostly watch NFL and MLB. I am not even into Basketball much at all on the College or Pro level.

Back on total topic, IU hasn't been the same since Bobby left (2000) and IU did him dirty which makes me cringe at their basketball program. IU should've brought in Steve Alford over a decade ago but I guess they were just to stubborn to do so because he would've been similar to Bobby IMO. Alford has been a good coach everywhere he has been at and he was the leading scorer on IU's 1987 National Championship team. He was also a Highschool legend here in Indiana. Sometimes things are too simple to see and people don't act upon them. Alford alone would've had IU fans watching every game and he would've kept them relevant. 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:03 PM, ar7 said:

I think Fife is a terrific hire by Mike Woodson. People are very dismissive of Fife based on his record at IPFW but, much like Woodson, if you look at the context of the situation he worked in it's impressive, imo. Spending 10 years as the lead assistant for one of the best head coaches in the sport, at another Big Ten school at that, will be a plus.

Woodson is also keeping Kenya Hunter as an assistant. I think that leaves one spot left on his staff. I wonder if he will bring in someone he knows and has coached with before to round out the staff.

I hope he brings in Dan Dakic so that I don't have to listen to him on radio, LOL. :) 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I started watching sports roughly around the late 70's as a young kid and it goes in waves for me to which is my favorite sport. College Basketball (I.U.), NFL (Colts since 1984), NBA (Pacers), and MLB (Cubs since 1984). College Basketball was my favorite sport during the 80's/early 90's. I rarely missed an IU game and even went to a few games. College Basketball was different back then, players stayed 3 or 4 years on teams and you got to know them. Teams were great back then! Now days it is a mess - no explanation needed, I don't even watch much. During the 90's I watched NBA a lot because of Reggie and the Pacers. Michael Jordan basically ruined the 90's though because the Bulls were so great, you already knew who was going to win the NBA Championship before the season started. Pacers had them beat in 1998 ECFinals and just choked it away - that was our chance. The NFL from the 2000's up through Luck's 1st 3 years was my favorite by far = 2000-2014. The Peyton years from 2003-2009 are pretty hard to top. Since 2015 when the Cubs rebuilt and were young and upcoming I have watched more Baseball than other sport, Cubs winning it all in 2016 was like the Colts winning it all in 2006 to me. Today I mostly watch NFL and MLB. I am not even into Basketball much at all on the College or Pro level.

Back on total topic, IU hasn't been the same since Bobby left (2000) and IU did him dirty which makes me cringe at their basketball program. IU should've brought in Steve Alford over a decade ago but I guess they were just to stubborn to do so because he would've been similar to Bobby IMO. Alford has been a good coach everywhere he has been at and he was the leading scorer on IU's 1987 National Championship team. He was also a Highschool legend here in Indiana. Sometimes things are too simple to see and people don't act upon them. Alford alone would've had IU fans watching every game and he would've kept them relevant. 

Hard to say what they need now to get back.  Like you said, basketball had changed so much.  I can’t watch it bc it seems like the majority of plays are isolation one on one plays.  Some guy is a “star” bc he scores 27pts but he also shoots 25 times and takes 12 free throws a game.  I’m to the point I only really watch the Colts play.  I think the only other game I watched all year was the Super Bowl. 

Archived