Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers trade up to 3rd overall

danlhart87

I think whoever lands in San Fran probably has the chance to be the best QB in the 2021 class even ahead of Lawrence.

Also, no way the Colts were ever going to be able to get one of those four QBs. Not without handing over the keys of the organization to someone else. 

4 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

How long before they trade Jimmy G to NE now? Seems like he has to go if your going have a top pick QB.

Yep, I can definitely see this happening, NE got an early 2nd rounder from San Fran and will only give up a mid 2nd rounder to get him back at the most. Or they will just release Jimmy G and he will be signed off waivers.

However, it would be weird having 2 QBs with different styles at NE. They have only $6 mil. guaranteed to Cam and it doesn't make sense cap wise to trade for Jimmy, so most likely it would have to be after Jimmy G is released and then signing for a Jameis Winston like 1 year deal, after he is released.

58 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Unless they take Trey Lance 

That's what I was thinking, since they said they want to keep Jimmy G. I could see Jimmy G starting the season and Trey taking over next season or Trey taking over when he gets hurt.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Unless they take Trey Lance 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

That's what I was thinking, since they said they want to keep Jimmy G. I could see Jimmy G starting the season and Trey taking over next season or Trey taking over when he gets hurt.

Has any team ever spent that kind of draft capital, and sat that player for a season?

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Hmm. I can see a scenario where Atlanta trades back. That defense has been suspect at best for quite some time now. Plus, they are also switching over to a 3-4. Matt Ryan is getting up there but he's still a good QB. Problem is he's at just that age where he's got a couple good years left but would be almost impossible to move as his cap hit is going to be insane in '22 and '23 ($48M & $43M). They aren't particularly old roster-wide but they absolutely cannot stop the pass or get to opposing QBs.

16 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Hmm. I can see a scenario where Atlanta trades back. That defense has been suspect at best for quite some time now. Plus, they are also switching over to a 3-4. Matt Ryan is getting up there but he's still a good QB. Problem is he's at just that age where he's got a couple good years left but would be almost impossible to move as his cap hit is going to be insane in '22 and '23 ($48M & $43M). They aren't particularly old roster-wide but they absolutely cannot stop the pass or get to opposing QBs.

To pass up a potential franchise QB at #4 to acquire additional picks to try and patch up a bad defense is in my opinion VERY FOOLISH!

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

To pass up a potential franchise QB at #4 to acquire additional picks to try and patch up a bad defense is in my opinion VERY FOOLISH!

Not saying they will do that, but it also would not shock me. My opinion on drafting a rookie QB that high isn't always popular, but to me it's like throwing up a 50/50 ball. Plus I mean, Atlanta is married to Ryan's contract for another 3 years. It's not a great situation for them to be in, if you think about the prospect of sitting the 4th overall pick for... however long. It's possible that the kid doesn't see the field for the first 2 years of his rookie deal. If Ryan comes off the books in 2023 it's only $15M in dead cap, whereas before that you're looking at significantly more of a hit ($40M).

9 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Not saying they will do that, but it also would not shock me. My opinion on drafting a rookie QB that high isn't always popular, but to me it's like throwing up a 50/50 ball. Plus I mean, Atlanta is married to Ryan's contract for another 3 years. It's not a great situation for them to be in, if you think about the prospect of sitting the 4th overall pick for... however long. It's possible that the kid doesn't see the field for the first 2 years of his rookie deal. If Ryan comes off the books in 2023 it's only $15M in dead cap, whereas before that you're looking at significantly more of a hit ($40M).

Nothing 3rd tier organizations do shock me. 

But I would rather have huge cap hits with a young, potential franchise QB than do whatever they might do with those additional draft picks.

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If the dolphins go with Tua instead one of the top 4 QB's in draft they will probably regret it.

And their fans might wind up taking those picks they got from the 49ers and stick them in management's you know what.

Only option for them would be Lance or Jones and I doubt they go Jones 

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Nothing 3rd tier organizations do shock me. 

But I would rather have huge cap hits with a young, potential franchise QB than do whatever they might do with those additional draft picks.

Yeah but at the same time, a young QB with nothing around him is not a good situation to be in either.

24 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If the dolphins go with Tua instead one of the top 4 QB's in draft they will probably regret it.

And their fans might wind up taking those picks they got from the 49ers and stick them in management's you know what.

That move surprised me too. I mean after benching the kid for Fitzpatrick I was thinking, even though that was somewhat of a bonus pick, they would hedge their bets and not want to be married to Tua as the 2022 draft is looking slim on QBs. Plus I'm always sketchy of big school QBs and have been for many years now, particularly Alabama and back in the Carrol days USC QBs were a non-starter for me as well. 

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Only option for them would be Lance or Jones and I doubt they go Jones 

I think I read a post the Phinns traded back up to 6.....but Lance will probably be gone before 6, right?.....so their only option is Jones which I dont think they will. I think they will use #6 on a WR and roll with Tua.

6 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

That move surprised me too. I mean after benching the kid for Fitzpatrick I was thinking, even though that was somewhat of a bonus pick, they would hedge their bets and not want to be married to Tua as the 2022 draft is looking slim on QBs. Plus I'm always sketchy of big school QBs and have been for many years now, particularly Alabama and back in the Carrol days USC QBs were a non-starter for me as well. 

I concur. 

And besides Bama & USC, the Pack 10, or 12 or whatever they are now, seem riskier than players from some of the stronger conferences .

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think I read a post the Phinns traded back up to 6.....but Lance will probably be gone before 6, right?.....so their only option is Jones which I dont think they will. I think they will use #6 on a WR and roll with Tua.

They will draft WR or Paye 

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think they looking to go offense....so probably WR, especially if Chase is there ...if not maybe that super TE prospect? 

But I'm guessing WR.

They could still get great WR at 18 I'm thinking they address their EDGE then WR at 18.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think they looking to go offense....so probably WR, especially if Chase is there ...if not maybe that super TE prospect? 

But I'm guessing WR.

This Draft should be Fun :D

Popcorn,almonds, Coke Zero and maybe a red wine spritzer and might as well have food too. 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Has any team ever spent that kind of draft capital, and sat that player for a season?

Not quite as much but recent memory is Patrick Mahomes

im doing this off the top of my head so I might be a little off, but I think KC gave up their current year 1 and current 3 and a future 1 to move to top 10 and then sat Mahomes behind Alex Smith all year before moving Smith the next offseason and handing the reigns to Mahomes (I think Mahomes may have only started the last week or two of his rookie season ). 

that is one first rounder less than SF just paid to move up. So it isn’t apples to apples. But sitting a QB who a team gave up some big draft capital for has been done. 

4 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Not quite as much but recent memory is Patrick Mahomes

im doing this off the top of my head so I might be a little off, but I think KC gave up their current year 1 and current 3 and a future 1 to move to top 10 and then sat Mahomes behind Alex Smith all year before moving Smith the next offseason and handing the reigns to Mahomes (I think Mahomes may have only started the last week or two of his rookie season ). 

that is one first rounder less than SF just paid to move up. So it isn’t apples to apples. But sitting a QB who a team gave up some big draft capital for has been done. 

That is why I said "That kind of draft capital" 1 first and a 3rd, does not compare with 3 firsts, and a 3rd. I understand your point, but I was asking those who assume that the QB won't play this season. It would be unprecedented. 

I'm really surprised how many people are already thinking Tua is a bust. The dude didn't have an offseason and was rehabbing an injury from college. Let him have an offseason and a season before you make a final judgement.

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Not that I know of,

but if it is Lance they draft he isn't ready to start and why would they keep Jimmy G as a back up if they could save 25 million on the cap by releasing or trading him.

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

That is why I said "That kind of draft capital" 1 first and a 3rd, does not compare with 3 firsts, and a 3rd. I understand your point, but I was asking those who assume that the QB won't play this season. It would be unprecedented. 

well to that point this isn't really "3 firsts, and a 3rd". It is basically 2 future firsts and a 3rd.

if this is "3 firsts, and a 3rd" then the Mahomes deal was "2 firsts and a 3rd".

My main point is the SF deal is one extra 1st compared to the Mahomes deal and they did sit Mahomes most of that year.

I personally just think this is SF posturing so they don't have to give Jimmy G away w no leverage.

I cannot see them sitting a rookie all year.

I can see them hanging onto Jimmy G though if they do not get a deal they like.

If so they can start Jimmy G as long as they need the rookie to get up to speed and have a viable alternative if they are super competitive and in "win now" mode this year.

5 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I'm really surprised how many people are already thinking Tua is a bust. The dude didn't have an offseason and was rehabbing an injury from college. Let him have an offseason and a season before you make a final judgement.

Bro I'm not saying Tua is a bust. It's just like ridiculous how much importance is placed on the position today, Like i mean the whole premise of the thread is how much draft capital the 9ers put up to draft 3rd. It's like tryna hit a whiffle ball out the park man.

• 3 weeks later...

Lawrence, Wilson and then Jones. That is the order of the 1st 3 picks. I believe the team that wants Lance is Washington. I do not believe they want to move up to #4. That is way to rich for hm. Denver may also move up. Lance is physically gifted, but not a lot of tape on him.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lawrence, Wilson and then Jones. That is the order of the 1st 3 picks. I believe the team that wants Lance is Washington. I do not believe they want to move up to #4. That is way to rich for hm. Denver may also move up. Lance is physically gifted, but not a lot of tape on him.

Where do you think Fields lands?

On 4/11/2021 at 8:41 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not a Feilds or Lance fan. Way to many unknowns. 2nd round players

I'm happy the Colts made the trade for Wentz.   I didn't want them to trade up to take Fields or Lance.  To me, they seem like they could be busts.   I'm not claiming I know something others don't, just more a gut feeling.   I did watch allot of Fields in college because I mostly watch Big Ten football.   He can make some great plays and has talent.   It's just that he doesn't look like he'll be a Watson or Murray as much as a Griffith or Young.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:03 PM, TomDiggs said:

well to that point this isn't really "3 firsts, and a 3rd". It is basically 2 future firsts and a 3rd.

if this is "3 firsts, and a 3rd" then the Mahomes deal was "2 firsts and a 3rd".

My main point is the SF deal is one extra 1st compared to the Mahomes deal and they did sit Mahomes most of that year.

I personally just think this is SF posturing so they don't have to give Jimmy G away w no leverage.

I cannot see them sitting a rookie all year.

I can see them hanging onto Jimmy G though if they do not get a deal they like.

If so they can start Jimmy G as long as they need the rookie to get up to speed and have a viable alternative if they are super competitive and in "win now" mode this year.

Actually very good way to think about this 

Archived