Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts personnel update 03.26.2021

Dogg63

Here's where things stand, at the moment (dollars rounded to nearest half million):

Unrestricted free agents signed from other teams

• DE Isaac Rochell (former Charger)
  • OT Sam Tevi (former Charger)

Colts unrestricted free agents re-signed

• RB Marlon Mack (1-yr, $2M)
  • CB Xavier Rhodes (1-yr, $6.5M)
  • WR T.Y. Hilton (1-yr, $10M, $8M guaranteed)

Colts restricted free agents tendered

• S George Odum (right of first refusal, $2.1M, pending)
  • WR Zach Pascal (2nd round, $3.4M, pending)
  • TE Mo Alie-Cox (2nd round, $3.4M, pending)

Colts exclusive rights free agents re-signed

• WR Ashton Dulin (1-yr extension)
  • DT Taylor Stallworth (1-yr extension)

Acquired via trade

• QB Carson Wentz (from Eagles for 2 draft picks)

Claimed from other teams

• DT Andrew Brown (from Texans via waivers)

Colts unrestricted free agents signed by other teams

• DT Denico Autry (to the Titans, 3-yr, $21.5M, $9M guaranteed)
  • QB Jacoby Brissett (to the Dolphins, 1-yr, $5M, fully guaranteed)
  • LB Anthony Walker (to the Browns, 1-yr, $3.5M)
  • S Tavon Wilson (to the 49ers, 1-yr, $1M)

Colts restricted Free Agents signed by other teams (not tendered by Colts)

• CB Tremon Smith (to the Texans, 1-yr, $1M)

Remaining unrestricted free agents

• TE Trey Burton
  • CB T.J. Carrie
  • OT Le’Raven Clark
  • OT Chaz Green
  • S Malik Hooker
  • DE Justin Houston
  • C Joey Hunt
  • DE Al-Quadin Muhammad

Retirements

• QB Philip Rivers
  • OT Anthony Castonzo

Reserve/Futures Contracts

• RB Darius Anderson
  • S Ibraheim Campbell
  • CB Andre Chachere
  • DT Kameron Cline
  • WR Quartney Davis
  • G Jake Eldrenkamp
  • TE Farrod Green
  • G Sam Jones
  • OT Carter O’Donnell
  • RB Paul Perkins
  • P Austin Rehkow
  • CB Will Sunderland
  • CB Roderic Teamer
  • TE Andrew Vollert
  • DT Chris Williams
  • DT Rob Windsor

Most data for this list was obtained from https://coltswire.usatoday.com/.

12 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I wouldn’t mind having Hooker back on a cheap deal for depth purposes.

Hadn't really thought about that, but it makes some sense. I'm assuming he was looking for a starting role somewhere else, but maybe the market just isn't there. Unless he is some kind of problem in the locker room, that would make a lot of sense.

1 minute ago, Hark said:

Hadn't really thought about that, but it makes some sense. I'm assuming he was looking for a starting role somewhere else, but maybe the market just isn't there. Unless he is some kind of problem in the locker room, that would make a lot of sense.

Yeah he was linked with the Eagles and Cowboys and the Cowboys signed another Safety so his options aren’t many. 

Just now, JediXMan said:

Yeah he was linked with the Eagles and Cowboys and the Cowboys signed another Safety so his options aren’t many. 

That would be some quality depth at S. Something I think this team could use.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Where do we stand on compensatory picks?  It seems we lost more than we got as far as contracts.  

At the moment, we have a 5 (Autry) and a 6 (JB) coming our way. Walker and Tevi cancel each other out.

Here's how it breaks down:

CFAs Lost: 3

Name Rd APY # 

Denico Autry 5 $7.2M 266

Jacoby Brissett 6 $5.0M 360

Anthony Walker Jr. 6 $3.5M 438

CFAs Gained: 1

Sam Tevi 7 $2.5M 566

28 minutes ago, Hark said:

Actually would be more than fine with this, seeing some more 3 safety lineups with blackmon, hooker, and whatshisnuts the SS would be cool with me....

If we signed Hooker and he remained healthy I don’t see him as depth but our starter. I hope Blackmon continues to improve but it would need to be a good amount to take Hookers spot IMO. Hooker was never a bad FS but he never became the Ed Reed type guy he was compared too. When healthy he was good though. 

3 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Actually would be more than fine with this, seeing some more 3 safety lineups with blackmon, hooker, and whatshisnuts the SS would be cool with me....

That would be quit nice. Too center fielders deep and Willis coming down to play coverage LB basically

9 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I would like to see the Colts to re-sign Carrie & Hooker for depth. 

We seemed to play more single high / C3 later in the year, and Blackmon was simply not good at it. I'd love to have Hooker back to rotate in for those sets. Hooker is a much better centerfield type of FS.

2 hours ago, JediXMan said:

I wouldn’t mind having Hooker back on a cheap deal for depth purposes.

I believe he will be coming back, I had tweeted him on Twitter saying “I hope we plan on re-signing you” . After he posted some happy face emojis. He liked the tweet. I do know that the cowboys planned on signing another safety but Malik did say his meeting with them went well. I personally like the idea of Malik at FS and Julian at SS instead of Khari. Don’t get me wrong I like Khari but those two have much more range and I think Kharis strengths are better suited as a nickel linebacker on passing downs. 

39 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

We need a veteran pass rusher even if we have turray starting and a guy from the draft that is scary . Two unproven guys starting with Ben and Rochelle backing up . 

Right now it's probably 

Turay - Buckner - Stewart - Lewis 

And the above with IR inserted and Stewart coming out on obvious passing downs. and IR replacing Turay on obvious running downs.

One of the beat writers suggested Cline was going to be one of the starting DEs... 

I agree. We need to both sign a vet like Houston back, plus draft an early DE.

5 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Honestly doubt Hooker would want to come back unless he isn’t getting any interest from any other team.

He would be good depth though, no doubt.

He visited Dallas last week. 

Coming off his injury, doubt he'll get an offer for more than 2M, and doubt he gets a multi year offer. IMO, it would be in his best interests to come back since he knows the system, and we looked pretty bad at times in r/l C3. If I were him, I'd take a 1 year league min offer from any team that plays a ton of C1/C3.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He visited Dallas last week. 

Coming off his injury, doubt he'll get an offer for more than 2M, and doubt he gets a multi year offer. IMO, it would be in his best interests to come back since he knows the system, and we looked pretty bad at times in r/l C3. If I were him, I'd take a 1 year league min offer from any team that plays a ton of C1/C3.

I'm guessing the headline "Jerry Jones pays top dollar for Hooker" will make people laugh 

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

We should get. A extra 3rd rounder for signing  our new Oc due to the Rodney rule . 49ers got a 3rd rounder for signing  their oc

They got the pick for grooming a coach that became a head coach fo another team.  Not sure if our situation applies?

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I really like Carrie but I think he's going to end up on the Saints.

IF Ballard wants him back we can match any $$ the Saints can afford to offer. However, im not sure how much Ballard values him. I thought he played very well everytime his number was called.

I hope we can re-sign him, Hooker (backup depth) & Houston and/or sign Clowney. That would set us up to grab a LT high in draft and go BPA for the rest of our picks IMO.

1 hour ago, jchandler7 said:

IF Ballard wants him back we can match any $$ the Saints can afford to offer. However, im not sure how much Ballard values him. I thought he played very well everytime his number was called.

I hope we can re-sign him, Hooker (backup depth) & Houston and/or sign Clowney. That would set us up to grab a LT high in draft and go BPA for the rest of our picks IMO.

Yea.  Unless Ballard has another plan, bringing Hooker, Carrie, Houston, and/or maybe Muhammed back would , at least, solidify this team enough to be able to go.  Then we add draft and some surprise cuts/additions , and I think we are lookin pretty good.  We just feel a little “holey” goin into the draft.  Theres time and things are settling down and washing out.  Not hearing anything about Houston leads me to think he could be coming back.  I’ve heard of no other interest in him.

17 hours ago, coming on strong said:

We should get. A extra 3rd rounder for signing  our new Oc due to the Rodney rule . 49ers got a 3rd rounder for signing  their oc

The Rooney rule just has to do with the interview process. The comp picks you're talking about are awarded to teams that have minority coaches hired as HC for another team or a minority FO member hired as GM for another team. We don't get any picks for promoting Brady to OC.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:47 AM, Shive said:

The Rooney rule just has to do with the interview process. The comp picks you're talking about are awarded to teams that have minority coaches hired as HC for another team or a minority FO member hired as GM for another team. We don't get any picks for promoting Brady to OC.

I think he meant our OC Siriani but I don't think he knew the rule had to deal with minority hires.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:04 PM, jchandler7 said:

I would like to see the Colts to re-sign Carrie & Hooker for depth. 

Definitly Carrie

He had great plays

Hooker just never seemed to mesh with this defense

MAybe a stupid question

Do we get comp picks THIS draft or next?

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Definitly Carrie

He had great plays

Hooker just never seemed to mesh with this defense

MAybe a stupid question

Do we get comp picks THIS draft or next?

Next.

On Hooker though. When we first changed Ds, Hooker was a bad fit as we played mostly 2 high C2. Now we're playing some single high C3, which is a good fit for Hooker. I'd absolutely give him 1M (which is what PFF projected) to come back and rotate in for C3.

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Next.

On Hooker though. When we first changed Ds, Hooker was a bad fit as we played mostly 2 high C2. Now we're playing some single high C3, which is a good fit for Hooker. I'd absolutely give him 1M (which is what PFF projected) to come back and rotate in for C3.

It makes you wonder, if they felt he was a fit, wouldnt they have done the 5th year option on him?  

On 3/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, jchandler7 said:

Re-signing Carrie, Hooker and Clowney would finish off Free Agency in solid style. I'd be very happy with this. 

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

It makes you wonder, if they felt he was a fit, wouldnt they have done the 5th year option on him?  

5th year option didn't make sense at all simply given the cost IMO (and his injury history). They did take till the last day possible to make the call though IIRC. 

On 3/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, John18 said:

Any talk about who will be Wentz's backup this year. I don't think we know enough about Eason to be comfortable with him as the backup.

I'd guess we will keep some cap room to be able to sign people in season if need be. There certainly will be at least 3 or 4 Qbs in camp. I'm also ok with carrying a minimum of 3 QBs until Covid eventually is a non factor. 

Archived