Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hark's 3/25 Mock

Used Pro Football Network's Simulator:

When 21st pick arrived, had a trade offer from LA Rams. Pick 21 for 57, 88, 103, 141. Seemed like a very Ballard-like trade so I checked Drafttek to see if the value lined up. According to their site, this trade actually heavily leaned toward the Rams, so I could see an even better scenario playing out when an actual pro like Ballard is doing the negotiating. The picks:

54 - Liam Eichenberg - OT The Colts get possibly their current and future starter here. The consensus on Eichenberg seems to be that he doesn't have a super high ceiling, but could very well be a solid day 1 starter and for years to come

57 - Elijah Moore - WR - Really good route runner, and home run hitting wide receiver. A bit small, but maybe the future TY in this offense?

88 - Hunter Long - TE - A really solid, unspectacular, tight end who should be a quality NFL starter. Seems like a Colts TE

103 - Chaz Surratt - LB - Not a big need, but he was definitely BPA at this pick and should be a solid contributor and depth

127 - Keith Taylor - CB - Long rangy CB that CB really likes (see what I did there :). Should work well in our system

141 - Daelin Hayes - Edge - An athletic and explosive player who knows how to get to the QB. Had a mid-career injury that slowed him at ND, but I think he could be very good in the NFL

165 - Shaka Toney - Edge - This is an all or nothing pick. Toney is too small to be anything at the next level but a designated pass rusher. While he has shown flashes of incredible ability to get to the QB, he apparently also disappears for large stretches of games. Maybe using him as a DPR, we can get his best and avoid his worst. I have a feeling coach Flus will be able to teach this kid not to loaf.

206 - Alaric Jackson - OT - Why not just invite ALL the OTs to camp?

248 - Tedarrell Slaton - DT - Potential to be good run-stuffing interior lineman and depth for Grover. We can stuff him on the practice squad and see how he develops.

I like it. Not huge on Eichenberg, but hes okay. Would prefer Cosmi, Radunz or even Spencer Brown personally.

Love doubling down on the edge late. Id rather go after Elerson Smith or Cam Sample instead of Toney though. Both senior bowl guys, with good production.

Love Slaton with the 7th. Was very disruptive with Florida. 

Nice mock. I wouldn't be surprised if they went Edge in the 2nd, instead of a WR, but still.

28 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I like it. Not huge on Eichenberg, but hes okay. Would prefer Cosmi, Radunz or even Spencer Brown personally.

Love doubling down on the edge late. Id rather go after Elerson Smith or Cam Sample instead of Toney though. Both senior bowl guys, with good production.

Love Slaton with the 7th. Was very disruptive with Florida. 

Nice mock. I wouldn't be surprised if they went Edge in the 2nd, instead of a WR, but still.

Thanks for the feedback. It's a fun way to kill some time.

It's funny, I was torn between Eichenberg at Radunz (who was still on the board) at 54. Ultimately chose Eichenberg because the scout's seem to think he is a little more day 1 ready.

Really like both the edge guys you mentioned as late round possibilities as well. I do believe Hayes could be really good. Toney is a complete crapshoot.

When the 2nd's came up, the top edge guy still on the board was Jordan Smith. Just didn't think he presented great value at either 54 or 57, which is why I decided to grab Moore.

Also, just read somewhere that Slaton has gotten in great shape since the end of the season.

I dont love it but , like it as well, I dont want Eichenberg at 21, but that is a great value where you are drafting him.

As mentioned, I do think this defense is screaming out for another pass rusher or two gained in this draft, maybe one at the slot that you have for WR / TE / LB

Thanks for sharing

That's a far trade down, i will agree. I do like the draft. I think it is more likely he trades our first for a second this year, next year, and 5th. Something similar to the Washington trade 3 years ago.

This would allow us to have almost a completely full slate of picks after the Wentz trade

10 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont love it but , like it as well, I dont want Eichenberg at 21, but that is a great value where you are drafting him.

As mentioned, I do think this defense is screaming out for another pass rusher or two gained in this draft, maybe one at the slot that you have for WR / TE / LB

Thanks for sharing

Yeah, it was tough. As I said in the original post, the highest rated edge at 54 and 57 was Jordan Smith, but I felt like Eichenberg and Moore represented better value at those picks. I really do think Daelin Hayes could be really good.

9 hours ago, BProland85 said:

No way Ballard trades down that far. 

That's totally fair. I just looked at the trades that were offered when the pick came up. Whatever he does, he will get better value for 21 than I did if he decides to trade it

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Now

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• My sleepers: (meaning, the kind of players coaches would like to have, more than what consensus big board gives credit to them. Some of them might need couple of years to attain their high potential, if drafted into suitable coaching environment, so a lot depends on that. Some of them have injury concerns too).   Most of them are high IQ players or high-effort, high-motor players - two traits I look for from the Drafted players, list is long but I like these guys.. gonna be interesting to see where they land and how it works out for them in long run.    Payton Wilson, LB, NC State Caelen Carson, CB, Wake Forest Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale Maason Smith, IDL, LSU Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College Max Melton, CB, Rutgers Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon Khyree Jackson, CB Oregon Dylan McMahon, C, NC State (good fit for Browns)  Tykee Smith, SAF, Georgia Ainias Smith, WR, Texas A&M Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame Michael Barrett, LB Michigan Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky Beaux Limmer, IOL, Arkansas   Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami McKinnley Jackson, IDL, Texas A&M Kalen King, CB, Penn State Justin Eboigbe, IDL, Alabama    Jacob Cowing, WR, Arizona Beau Brade, SAF, Maryland Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville Jalyx Hunt, EDGE, Houston Christian (I'm hoping for day 3 Vikings pickup, as Flores could work wonders with him)  Jaheim Bell, TE, Florida State Brennan Jackson, EDGE, Washington State  Delmar Glaze, OT, Maryland Myles Cole, EDGE, Texas Tech Kristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa Javontae Jean-Baptiste, DL, Notre Dame Jordan Magee, LB, Temple Myles Harden, CB, South Dakota Jalen Green, EDGE, James Madison (UDFA Target prospect)  Trey Taylor, S, Air Force (UDFA prospect) Eyabi Okie-Anoma, EDGE, Charlotte Qwan'tez Stiggers, CB, Toronto  Sundiata Anderson, EDGE, Grambling State  Daequan Hardy, CB, Penn State (Special Teams, Returner)  Emani Bailey, RB, TCU   As for Vikings, I don't wanna rush to draft QB if the team isn't confident in the guys they could move up in draft range, and I'd like to just draft impact players that build the roster at this point.   Build the team, draft a franchise QB at right time, don't rush and ruin years trying to make someone work out in the NFL. 
    • If you are relying upon history, does accuracy matter?  I think the reason Smith ended up at RT is because the coaches tried him there out of necessity and he played well, and stayed there due to the coaches wishes.  I don't think that FO guys had much to say about it, because Smith was in fact drafted to be a G, not the RT.  Ballard's own words after day 2 of that draft was that they drafted Smith a bit higher than they had him ranked, because he was the "last remaining starting caliber G on the board".   So it does fit that Smith was not drafted by Ballard or the FO to be a RT...in part because of the measurables and arm length.   Also directing this response to @Matthew Gilbert
    • Same. And that's because over time that level of depth eventually decays. 
    • I don't think players like Davis (and especially Bryan, who I don't think will make the final 53) should impact our draft strategy at all. Not even a little bit. If we like Byron Murphy, figure out what to do with those other guys later. The other versatile guys you mention don't scratch the itch the way Murphy would be expected to -- he should be looked at as a disruptive 3T who plays there every down, not a matchup guy or passing downs guy.    If anything, maybe it's the other way around. The Colts already had a feel for the DTs in draft class and knew they wouldn't get what they want in the draft, so they addressed the position in free agency. And after this weekend, that might help people better understand the strategy at DB and WR...    The bolded really gets at the heart of it. I like Murphy, but I'm not offering him as a great player that you just have to take a chance on. But when it comes to draft strategy, I think taking the best players is the way to go. I'm directly opposed to needs-based drafting, and to passing on a really good prospect because you have backup level veterans already on the roster. 
    • I suppose Murphy being the next Donald is possible, but I wouldn’t think it’s likely.     As for Smith playing right tackle, I believe I was simply echoing Ballard’s initial viewpoint.  That Smith’s short arms made him an unlikely RT.  And that he had to be talked into it by Morocco Brown and Ed Dodds.   I don’t think I was stating MY personal view.    As for skillset vs measurements.  I think it’s been an issue for all of us because Ballard has such specific requirements for each position.  So we factor that into our judgements. 
  • Members

• ChuggaBeer

ChuggaBeer 1,756

• DynaMike

DynaMike 153

• boo2202

boo2202 672

• VikingsFanInChennai

VikingsFanInChennai 2,990

• Hark

Hark 978

• John Hammonds