Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With The Next Pick

RNGDShobby

To the surprise of no one,  it was great.

The Life of a Scout is always long and difficult.    And it was especially so in 2020,  the Year of Covid.  

Just Brutal. 

When you see this kind of lifestyle,  it's answers your questions as to why guys like Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks are not scouting for an NFL team anymore.    It's a hard life for a family man.    And it shows you why someone like Lance Zierlein doesn't do it when he's so clearly qualified.    He's got a lot of kids.   He can stay at home,  watch tape,  write profiles, get paid well for it,  and live something of a normal life.

A scouts life is not for everyone.    And even for those who want to do it,  for many,  they're only willing to do it for so many years.    After a while,  enough is enough.   You need a new mountain to climb.   

7 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Turns out that was for this years draft. I'm guessing DE

I'm not thinking along the lines of a position.  There are so many positions that we could use help in ; LT, ER, WR, CB.  I'm thinking along the lines of tangible traits.  Like our No. 1 need is "Playmakers" for example or "Difference Makers".   That's how I view it.  Not just one position.  

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Life of a Scout is always long and difficult.    And it was especially so in 2020,  the Year of Covid.  

Just Brutal. 

When you see this kind of lifestyle,  it's answers your questions as to why guys like Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks are not scouting for an NFL team anymore.    It's a hard life for a family man.    And it shows you why someone like Lance Zierlein doesn't do it when he's so clearly qualified.    He's got a lot of kids.   He can stay at home,  watch tape,  write profiles, get paid well for it,  and live something of a normal life.

A scouts life is not for everyone.    And even for those who want to do it,  for many,  they're only willing to do it for so many years.    After a while,  enough is enough.   You need a new mountain to climb.   

To me it seems unnecessary for the most part.    These days they can see every angle of every play on their computer.     Obviously face to face meetings are necessary for some character evaluation.   Watching a player through binoculars seems pretty outdated.   I know all teams do it though

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

To me it seems unnecessary for the most part.    These days they can see every angle of every play on their computer.     Obviously face to face meetings are necessary for some character evaluation.   Watching a player through binoculars seems pretty outdated.   I know all teams do it though

I think Ballard talked a lot about relationships that can only be fully maximized by in-person meetings.  Scouts and players, scouts and coaches, scouts and support staff. 

One of the scouts talked about seeing them in the pre-game and looking for the body language of a leader.   Seeing them away from the play and on the sidelines.  How do they react to adversity.  

Everyone is always looking for the smallest advantage. 

59 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The end was so cool. Wonder if that was a teaser for the next one. Maybe a lot of Wentz.

Yes...   it certainly looks like Part 2 will be mostly, perhaps almost entirely, about Wentz.   
Our attempt to address the QB position.  The deal.   His arrival.   The thinking that goes into fixing him.   All of that and probably more.  

We’re four weeks out.   So the next part should likely be in 10-14 days.  Then another part in 10-14 more days after that, just before the draft.

Then, part 4, the Post Draft edition should likely come roughly 10-14 days after the draft.  

Great fun!   Really well done!  

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just Brutal. 

So, I hear The Athletic is hiring...

your take would be well recieved.

Though if I was retired living in So. Cal that would be of little concern.

Carry on...

22 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

So, I hear The Athletic is hiring...

your take would be well recieved.

Though if I was retired living in So. Cal that would be of little concern.

Carry on...

Wow!   I think you're being sincere?    That kind of thing does not always translate well on the internet.

Assuming you are,  that's very flattering and very generous.           :worthy:

But there are no shortage of reasons why I couldn't.    Not the least of which is that I live in Los Angeles, and I think to have any credibility,  I'd have to live in Indianapolis and travel with the team.    Also, I've never written for a newspaper or a magazine, and I think that alone would disqualify me.    I think I could do it,  but there's typically a big gap between thinking you can, and knowing you can because you've done it.     My work has been in TV and Radio. 

I love posting here in our community.   As much as it shocks people,  I don't like getting into fights.   I don't like the perception that I try to be right all the time.   I know a number feel that way,  so I'm sorry I come across that way.    I'm only interested in conveying what I think are facts and the truth.   Otherwise, I have no trouble staying out of threads and conversations where things can be going a bit sideways.  

Full disclosure:   I tried to get a job about 10 years ago at the NFL Network.   Didn't get it, which was very disappointing.  At this point, being 64,  I see media as mostly a young man's game.   And I'm well past my Prime.    I'm very content being a member of this community.   It'll be 9 years this May.    Hope to make it to 10, and many more....

Thanks again....   

PS --  if you weren't being sincere,  well, then the laugh is on me!   

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I love posting here in our community.   As much as it shocks people,  I don't like getting into fights.   

I appreciate your contributions to our community here in the forum. Speaking for myself, I don't mind seeing or participating in a little sparring here as long as it is about football. I enjoy coming here and reading different opinions from other fans who love the Colts just like I do. You do a great job of articulating your views and sharing them with the forum. Keep up the good work!

I love this side of the organization. The structure, all the work behind the scenes that it takes for these fine people to get us all to those NFL Sundays. 

The media team could seriously get a deal with the likes of Amazon or Netflix or other streaming services and people would watch the heck out of this stuff. 

It’s very fortunate we’ve given a glimpse of the life of a scout. Used to be my dream

in college to be one for the NFL, but as many have stated before me, I realized I’d never be home with family. One 180 later and here I am teaching, haha! 

Scouting isn't that bad.  I scout all the time on Madden 21 and it only takes seconds per player. lol

The videos are sorta neat in seeing a little of what goes on behind the scenes but doubt they ever really give anything of note since they won't want other teams finding out who they are going after.   If they do, it would most likely be to trick other teams.

Idk.  Maybe it’s just me but I didn’t find it entertaining at all.  I could care less about a scout’s “struggle” to find something to eat. I know things were different this year but it is for everyone and I’m burn out hearing about it. We all had to change how we operated.  However, I do think it was a nice gesture by the Colts to basically highlight their scouts and show what they are doing different. It’s a really good “atta boy” and will build a good environment to show employees they are appreciated.  

Time for some substance tho. I’m sure it will get better with future episodes. 

FYI, I hope I don’t come off as a jerk. I know everyone is doing the best they can.  Guess I’m just wore out hearing everyone whine about their jobs. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Idk.  Maybe it’s just me but I didn’t find it entertaining at all.  I could care less about a scout’s “struggle” to find something to eat. I know things were different this year but it is for everyone and I’m burn out hearing about it. We all had to change how we operated.  However, I do think it was a nice gesture by the Colts to basically highlight their scouts and show what they are doing different. It’s a really good “atta boy” and will build a good environment to show employees they are appreciated.  

FYI, I hope I don’t come off as a jerk. I know everyone is doing the best they can.  Guess I’m just wore out hearing everyone whine about their jobs. 

I think the episode was more about setting up for future episodes as well as highlighting the difficulties of the job this year. Can't ignore the covid effect.

Sure, we are all burned out with the virus, but it's still important to provide that perspective and reminder that things are different in terms of what you can glean from players. Last year for instance, a big part of the show IIRC was the discussion around how many times Pittman was watched in practice, and how he never dropped a ball. That's a major contrast this year, the scouts have to go to games rather than practice. No standing on the sidelines of practice fields, no watching the player closely, no closeup chats with position coaches etc. It's a big difference. 

On another note, the switching between bearded CB and no-beard CB was trippy at first. The bearded version seemed to be on that covid diet :D

19 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

They have named people they are targeting?

Sorry, no.  They have not done that.   Not explicitly.    I thought you were simply asking if there would be a post-draft review, a post-draft feature.   My misunderstanding. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, no.  They have not done that.   Not explicitly.    I thought you were simply asking if there would be a post-draft review, a post-draft feature.   My misunderstanding. 

Ok, didn't know which part of my post you were referring to.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

I think the episode was more about setting up for future episodes as well as highlighting the difficulties of the job this year. Can't ignore the covid effect.

Sure, we are all burned out with the virus, but it's still important to provide that perspective and reminder that things are different in terms of what you can glean from players. Last year for instance, a big part of the show IIRC was the discussion around how many times Pittman was watched in practice, and how he never dropped a ball. That's a major contrast this year, the scouts have to go to games rather than practice. No standing on the sidelines of practice fields, no watching the player closely, no closeup chats with position coaches etc. It's a big difference. 

On another note, the switching between bearded CB and no-beard CB was trippy at first. The bearded version seemed to be on that covid diet :D

I guess I figured it was understood.  I watch the Colts to be entertained. Instead I heard grown adults complaining bc they had to pack a lunch, call in a order to a restaurant 45min early and eat with his coat on next to a makeshift heat lamp bc “it was chilly”.  I’m sorry they felt how they get takeout was inconvenient. Hearing about their lunch break is not entertaining at all.  If a friend ask me how business is going I don’t tell him it’s been really difficult bc I have to make myself a turkey sandwich in the morning to eat at lunch.  I know...I’m complaining when it really doesn’t matter lol. 

However, I did enjoy seeing the differences in how they had to scout. I’m sure not seeing how players practice is a major letdown.  There is a ton of beneficial information to be gained watching how a player practices and responds to coaches outside of games. 

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

They have named people they are targeting?

They always release an episode after the draft with footage from before and during the draft in which they're speaking to and and about the players they ended up drafting.

47 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I guess I figured it was understood.  I watch the Colts to be entertained. Instead I heard grown adults complaining bc they had to pack a lunch, call in a order to a restaurant 45min early and eat with his coat on next to a makeshift heat lamp bc “it was chilly”.  I’m sorry they felt how they get takeout was inconvenient. Hearing about their lunch break is not entertaining at all.  If a friend ask me how business is going I don’t tell him it’s been really difficult bc I have to make myself a turkey sandwich in the morning to eat at lunch.  I know...I’m complaining when it really doesn’t matter lol. 

However, I did enjoy seeing the differences in how they had to scout. I’m sure not seeing how players practice is a major letdown.  There is a ton of beneficial information to be gained watching how a player practices and responds to coaches outside of games. 

You heard grown adults complaining?   I’m sorry that’s how you took that.   I heard adults explaining the unique difficulties that Covid has presented.   Their world, which has always been difficult has been made infinitely harder by Covid.   To me, all they were doing is sharing that info.  

Both scouts knew they were the “stars” of this episode.   They wanted you to know what was different about 2020.   How has Covid impacted their job.    I can assure you the team doesn’t share your negative view of this.   If they didn’t like it, it could’ve easily been trimmed down to remove those parts you didn’t like. 

I hope you enjoy the other features that are coming. 

20 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Don't you go to a few games a year, most years? There's a lot of difference between watching film and being there in person. And that's just as a spectator. I think there's a lot to see in person that never makes the film.

But beyond the game itself, there's the school visits, which is where they get a ton of information and develop relationships. These are the major differences between watching film and real scouting. For instance, I'm intrigued by the fact that Reich apparently spent 45 minutes talking to the Notre Dame TE coach yesterday. You can love his tape, but that conversation isn't replaceable in any other format.

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't you go to a few games a year, most years? There's a lot of difference between watching film and being there in person. And that's just as a spectator. I think there's a lot to see in person that never makes the film.

But beyond the game itself, there's the school visits, which is where they get a ton of information and develop relationships. These are the major differences between watching film and real scouting. For instance, I'm intrigued by the fact that Reich apparently spent 45 minutes talking to the Notre Dame TE coach yesterday. You can love his tape, but that conversation isn't replaceable in any other format.

Yeah,   I get the need for personal interaction.    That is a must.    Also,  you're right,   it does look a lot different in person as opposed to on TV.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You heard grown adults complaining?   I’m sorry that’s how you took that.   I heard adults explaining the unique difficulties that Covid has presented.   Their world, which has always been difficult has been made infinitely harder by Covid.   To me, all they were doing is sharing that info.  

Both scouts knew they were the “stars” of this episode.   They wanted you to know what was different about 2020.   How has Covid impacted their job.    I can assure you the team doesn’t share your negative view of this.   If they didn’t like it, it could’ve easily been trimmed down to remove those parts you didn’t like. 

I hope you enjoy the other features that are coming. 

You heard explaining I heard complaining.  Some find it relatable, others find it annoying.  Some can say I’m being negative while I find the whole segment about food negative and irrelevant to the nfl draft.  I don’t think it’s bad, just wasn’t entertaining.  Different strokes I guess. No big deal

That’s about all I have to say about their food struggles bc it really doesn’t matter.  In the meantime, I look forward to other features to come!!  

15 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I felt the same way watching it.  No disrespect to the scouts as i think they are an overlooked and under appreciated part of the organization.

But i’m with you, give me some MEAT.  I dont need an appetizer, soup, a salad, or desert for that matter.  
 Looks like next episode will get juicier with Wentz trade stuff.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:50 PM, Wentzszn said:

The end was so cool. Wonder if that was a teaser for the next one. Maybe a lot of Wentz.

to me, it sounds like they're setting the stage for this to be all on Reich, the success or God Forbid, the failure. 

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I felt the same way watching it.  No disrespect to the scouts as i think they are an overlooked and under appreciated part of the organization.

But i’m with you, give me some MEAT.  I dont need an appetizer, soup, a salad, or desert for that matter.  
 Looks like next episode will get juicier with Wentz trade stuff.

19 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Eh, the food part i toned out a bit but at the same time, I don't consider it "hearing everyone whine about their jobs".  The segment was about the changes and the increased difficulty for scouts and teams this year.  I think they were simply setting the stage is all.  As for substance, what did you all expect, them to say here is our draft board and who we are targeting?

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Eh, the food part i toned out a bit but at the same time, I don't consider it "hearing everyone whine about their jobs".  The segment was about the changes and the increased difficulty for scouts and teams this year.  I think they were simply setting the stage is all.  As for substance, what did you all expect, them to say here is our draft board and who we are targeting?

That last part was a bit dramatic.

I just found it a bit slow.  The whole show was basically 2 unknown scouts traveling.  I think we both respectfully stated our cases.

I watched it..... once.  I expect future episodes to have more of the stuff i’m looking for.

Our draft board?  No, but more on the new coaches, discussions after the playoff loss, etc would keep my attention longer.

58 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

That last part was a bit dramatic.

I just found it a bit slow.  The whole show was basically 2 unknown scouts traveling.  I think we both respectfully stated our cases.

I watched it..... once.  I expect future episodes to have more of the stuff i’m looking for.

Our draft board?  No, but more on the new coaches, discussions after the playoff loss, etc would keep my attention longer.

Would love to see more discussion about coaches and direction.  Thing is they really can’t show much of their hand.  The Colts are notoriously tight lipped so I do appreciate what inside info they will give us. I’m more of an Xs and Os fan so all the personal stuff is not for me.  Plenty of people like it and it will help gain and keep more casual fans. Pittman is a good example of someone that reaches out on a personal level.  The newer YouTube crowd will love him.  They deserve to be entertained as well and I strongly believe that is the future of marketing. As a whole people like to personalize with players and teams.  Us substance guys will have plenty other sources to get what we want.   

On 3/31/2021 at 8:16 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think Ballard talked a lot about relationships that can only be fully maximized by in-person meetings.  Scouts and players, scouts and coaches, scouts and support staff. 

One of the scouts talked about seeing them in the pre-game and looking for the body language of a leader.   Seeing them away from the play and on the sidelines.  How do they react to adversity.  

Everyone is always looking for the smallest advantage. 

that was what I took away from it. they try to see what they can’t see on tape... That makes sense to me, when it didn’t before. 

I looked at my wife and said, just imagine if I were a scout for the Colts... No thanks. Concerned about what they were going to find to eat in California for dinner because everything was practically shut down. 

26 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Would love to see more discussion about coaches and direction.  Thing is they really can’t show much of their hand.  The Colts are notoriously tight lipped so I do appreciate what inside info they will give us. I’m more of an Xs and Os fan so all the personal stuff is not for me.  Plenty of people like it and it will help gain and keep more casual fans. Pittman is a good example of someone that reaches out on a personal level.  The newer YouTube crowd will love him.  They deserve to be entertained as well and I strongly believe that is the future of marketing. As a whole people like to personalize with players and teams.  Us substance guys will have plenty other sources to get what we want.   

Im torn because i dont like how good our staff looks.   And the “character” guy.  However, the way players, coaches, and staff are inter-related and move around the league, i would think there are fewer “secrets” than we think.  But I agree... how do you show stuff without actually showing “stuff.”

Archived