Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor v.s Marlon Mack v.s Naheim Hines

Kdeming1230

So, now that we have a ridiculously stacked backfield how does frank Reich use his 3 headed monster? I still think Taylor is the future and is going to be a stud and I would like to find a way to see him get the ball 20-25 times but I understand with Mack coming back that’s not a realistic possibility. Only way this becomes a possibility is if they turn naheim Hines into a slot type of receiver and also have him running the ball sometimes. That being said, this is a good problem to have. Mack is a beast and as long as he stays healthy teams will have to prepare for our back field more than anything. What is everyone’s thoughts on how frank Reich deals with this dilemma? Taylor getting 20 touches a game is a must in my eyes regardless of how good Mack and Hines are, Taylor is in a different league. I think he could end up being in that Derrick Henry type of league. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Kdeming1230 said:

So, now that we have a ridiculously stacked backfield how does frank Reich use his 3 headed monster? I still think Taylor is the future and is going to be a stud and I would like to find a way to see him get the ball 20-25 times but I understand with Mack coming back that’s not a realistic possibility. Only way this becomes a possibility is if they turn naheim Hines into a slot type of receiver and also have him running the ball sometimes. That being said, this is a good problem to have. Mack is a beast and as long as he stays healthy teams will have to prepare for our back field more than anything. What is everyone’s thoughts on how frank Reich deals with this dilemma? Taylor getting 20 touches a game is a must in my eyes regardless of how good Mack and Hines are, Taylor is in a different league. I think he could end up being in that Derrick Henry type of league. 

If I'm calling personnel and plays I go with a bit more of a time share between Taylor and Mack because of how much abuse comes along with playing the position. Mack is also quite serviceable as a checkdown option out of the backfield. Would also be interesting to see them both in like a West Coast 212 formation.

Taylor is one of my favorite players right now. He reminds me more of Emmitt Smith than Henry, but your point is very well taken. Those three put together are going to be a handful. You're definitely right about feeding the hot hand, but those guys both still relatively fresh late in games could be absolutely lethal closers. Not to mention how just the mere presence on the field opens up options in the passing game both over the middle and on the outside. It's definitely going to make life easier for the younger pass catchers as well, especially with TY resigning.

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

Taylor 10-15 carries

Mack 7-10 carries

Hines 1-3 carries. Mostly passing game

I agree with this. We averaged around 29 rushing attempts per game last year IIRC.

15/10/5 seems like a great range/mix in general. Of course situationally I'd prefer more use as needed. In short yardage, I'd want Taylor. If we're 3rd and long, either Taylor or Hines. Mack seems like the best zone read runner, so would prefer him simply on 1st and 2nd downs. 

And not saying Mack isn't capable of catching, but Reich just didn't use him that way all that much. I thought it was simply because we had Hines, and there was no need to use Mack, but we used Taylor quite a bit last year in his rook season. 

I really want to see two back sets this year, and even some with Hines lining up at slot.

37 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

It’s sad how everyone treats Mack after he got injured he is a 1000 yard back .  Carries should be split to keep guys fresh . No need for a work horse when you have three high level guys at the position. Shame on every one who thinks Mack is just a change of pace back .

I think it's a mix of 1) Mack was never really appreciated by the fan base to begin with, and 2) because he's coming back from injury, folks have moved on.

Assuming though Mack is back to 100%, or if you're comparing healthy Mack... Then I'd say Mack is easier a better zone read runner. Much more patient, and his timing is much better. That said, Taylor did improve in that area a lot before the end of the year, so they might draw even in that area. Taylor is probably more powerful, faster, and better catching the ball. Hines is probably the fastest, and perhaps a little better than Taylor at this stage catching, but least powerful. 

In short, they are all different. Taylor though is the most well rounded, with the highest ceiling. 

I'd rank them like this.... 

Power (general) - Taylor, Mack, Hines

Power/gap/man rushing - Taylor, Mack, Hines

Zone read rushing - Mack, Taylor, Hines

Speed (general) - Hines, Taylor, Mack

Pass catching - Hines or Taylor, Mack

YAC between the Ts - Taylor or Mack, Hines

Well we have to see Mack can even get back. Assuming he does, I still think his workload will be low at first. But if he shows his prior explosion, he will carve out a chunk.

From a touch standpoint (with all 3 RBs healthy), I still think Taylor should get 65%, Hines 20-25%, Mack 10-15%.

I know it's popular to rotate RBs, but there really isn't a good reason a healthy Taylor shouldn't be getting 20-25 touches per game (and that includes 3-4 targets as well). He can handle the workload and he is the best offensive player on this team (by a good margin).

34 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Well we have to see Mack can even get back. Assuming he does, I still think his workload will be low at first. But if he shows his prior explosion, he will carve out a chunk.

From a touch standpoint (with all 3 RBs healthy), I still think Taylor should get 65%, Hines 20-25%, Mack 10-15%.

I know it's popular to rotate RBs, but there really isn't a good reason a healthy Taylor shouldn't be getting 20-25 touches per game (and that includes 3-4 targets as well). He can handle the workload and he is the best offensive player on this team (by a good margin).

To the bolded, I think there's a very good reason to rotate Taylor and Mack (assuming Mack is healthy). The reason is that Taylor has a ton of college miles on him already. It's good that he be kept fresh for the post season. And from a pure business perspective, if this is Mack's last year with the Colts, we might as well put miles on him lol. And he wants the miles so that he can get a decent contract after the next season. Win/win. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

To the bolded, I think there's a very good reason to rotate Taylor and Mack (assuming Mack is healthy). The reason is that Taylor has a ton of college miles on him already. It's good that he be kept fresh for the post season. And from a pure business perspective, if this is Mack's last year with the Colts, we might as well put miles on him lol. And he wants the miles so that he can get a decent contract after the next season. Win/win. 

That's why I said if Mack still proves to be an explosive RB...he will carve out a role. But a healthy Mack shouldn't just default to some volume share to keep Taylor's volume down.

Keeping Taylor fresh for the postseason is getting way ahead of ourselves. Teams don't really do that. If a team has a top 5-10 RB, they feed him. Things could look a bit different in the last quarter of the season perhaps if this team looks like a lock for something...but Taylor needs to get fed. 

8 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's why I said if Mack still proves to be an explosive RB...he will carve out a role. But a healthy Mack shouldn't just default to some volume share to keep Taylor's volume down.

Keeping Taylor fresh for the postseason is getting way ahead of ourselves. Teams don't really do that. If a team has a top 5-10 RB, they feed him. Things could look a bit different in the last quarter of the season perhaps if this team looks like a lock for something...but Taylor needs to get fed. 

Lots of teams have RB by committee. Indy rotated Hines and Wilkins in a ton last year. IIRC, both Hines and Wilkins got a little over 20ish% each, with Taylor getting 55ish%. He only carried for more than 20 times in 4 games. And if that works, there's nothing wrong with that approach. 

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't use Taylor more when the game is on the line, or more situationally.

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

It’s sad how everyone treats Mack after he got injured he is a 1000 yard back .  Carries should be split to keep guys fresh . No need for a work horse when you have three high level guys at the position. Shame on every one who thinks Mack is just a change of pace back .

Unfortunately not a lot of respect go towards running backs nowadays.  Mack will be just fine I'm sure, just slightly less explosive he's first year back

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yea if he's  healthy  both mack and taylor may go over 1000

On 3/24/2021 at 2:30 PM, JoeThornburg said:

If I'm calling personnel and plays I go with a bit more of a time share between Taylor and Mack because of how much abuse comes along with playing the position. Mack is also quite serviceable as a checkdown option out of the backfield. Would also be interesting to see them both in like a West Coast 212 formation.

Taylor is one of my favorite players right now. He reminds me more of Emmitt Smith than Henry, but your point is very well taken. Those three put together are going to be a handful. You're definitely right about feeding the hot hand, but those guys both still relatively fresh late in games could be absolutely lethal closers. Not to mention how just the mere presence on the field opens up options in the passing game both over the middle and on the outside. It's definitely going to make life easier for the younger pass catchers as well, especially with TY resigning.

When did TY resign??!

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

In the discussion but I wouldn't put them over the Browns Chubb and Hunt.

It's really a 

Taylor/Mack/Hines vs Chubb/Hunt/Johnson

comparison

Rushing, they are probably a bit better given Mack is coming off injury, but in terms of catching, or APY, I'd give the nod to Indy.

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's really a 

Taylor/Mack/Hines vs Chubb/Hunt/Johnson

comparison

Rushing, they are probably a bit better given Mack is coming off injury, but in terms of catching, or APY, I'd give the nod to Indy.

I can agree with that, but it's not by much in Reichs offense.  

I think Hines should be used much more in the passing game.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I can agree with that, but it's not by much in Reichs offense.  

I think Hines should be used much more in the passing game.

Yup. I understand the need last year to use Hines in the rushing game so much, but this year I'd hope he's a lot more pass.

As strong as the running game could be you have to temper one's expectations. Every year we have a particular position that has plenty of depth. one year it was linebackers, the next was the offensive line so on and so on. Well, by the time training camp was over all the depth evaporated and the next man up becomes the popular catch phrase.

Every year all teams have injuries. But the Colts seem to get it bad every year. Lets hope the Colts can field 80 percent of their starters 90 percent of the time. Sounds like a very tall order to Me.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:53 AM, DiogoSales said:

Whats they can do: lot of Stuff

What they cannot do: Hines 3 & 1

your right about that. Hines running off the right tackle in the double tight end package just doesn't work. He is not big enough to run through a phone booth.

Archived