Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper comment on Wentz trade (merge)

hoosierhawk

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Of course getting Wentz was a great deal. In fact, from the position the colts were in, it was nothing short of a Godsend. 

Rivers retired or was not welcomed back. Eason, a 4th round pick who has never taken a NFL snap was the only signed QB on roster. And no one really wanted Brissett back. 

Picking too high @21 to get or move up to get a franchise prospect. 

Stafford's price was steep and is in his latter part of career, etc...

The Colts were stuck between a Rock and a Hard place......

.....Then comes a Huge Dumpster Fire from Eagles and a youngish, elite QB from just a couple years ago is available and wants to join his former OC who happens to be the Colts HC !!!

It truly was a Godsend for the Colts, considering the position Ballard was in, even if Wentz play is only average. 

Great post!   Extremely thoughtful and very well written.    Appreciate it.    :thmup:

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Of course getting Wentz was a great deal. In fact, from the position the colts were in, it was nothing short of a Godsend. 

Rivers retired or was not welcomed back. Eason, a 4th round pick who has never taken a NFL snap was the only signed QB on roster. And no one really wanted Brissett back. 

Picking too high @21 to get or move up to get a franchise prospect. 

Stafford's price was steep and is in his latter part of career, etc...

The Colts were stuck between a Rock and a Hard place......

.....Then comes a Huge Dumpster Fire from Eagles and a youngish, elite QB from just a couple years ago is available and wants to join his former OC who happens to be the Colts HC !!!

It truly was a Godsend for the Colts, considering the position Ballard was in, even if Wentz play is only average. 

What’s even crazier is Ballard said they wanted Wentz in KC in 16. His draft stock rose too high and they weren’t able to get him. So not only do we have the coach that helped vet him in 2016 but the GM that also highly vetted him. It’s all just so crazy. 

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

What’s even crazier is Ballard said they wanted Wentz in KC in 16. His draft stock rose too high and they weren’t able to get him. So not only do we have the coach that helped vet him in 2016 but the GM that also highly vetted him. It’s all just so 

That's the Football Gods.. :D

I have to admit, I was disappointed the Colts didn’t get Stafford and ended up with Wentz.

I hope my fears turn out to be wrong.

I guess my biggest fear at this point, is not, will we see the 2017 Wentz (I think he’ll be okay and could have a great regular season), but will we see the 2020 Wentz again in the playoffs? I hope not. He’s certainly got a chance to prove the doubters wrong.

Reich said in other quotes; they’re going to run some RPO. It made me wonder, will we see the return of the stretch play, that Edge ran so well? Maybe an occasional 2 back set? I’m getting pumped for the season, especially if they hit on the draft.

Anyway, here’s the clip:

22 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Finger crossed and hoping the relationships and chemistry works.

He looks at ease now and happy. 

IMO, good MWer fit. 

I'm critical of a lot of things Reich does, but I do believe this is one area Frank will excel at. 

9 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I have to admit, I was disappointed the Colts didn’t get Stafford and ended up with Wentz.

I guess my biggest fear at this point, is not, will we see the 2017 Wentz (I think he’ll be okay and could have a great regular season), but will we see the 2020 Wentz again in the playoffs? I hope not. He’s certainly got a chance to prove the doubters wrong.

Reich said in other quotes; they’re going to run some RPO. It made me wonder, will we see the return of the stretch play, that Edge ran so well? Maybe an occasional 2 back set? I’m getting pumped for the season, especially if they hit on the draft.

Anyway, here’s the clip:

Confused. Why would you think that Wentz could have a great regular season but revert back to the 2020 Wentz in the playoffs. Don’t get that thinking for the life of me. 

11 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Anyway, here’s the clip:

I have no knowledge of this or any proof....    just my instincts....

But I'd be willing to speculate that Reich and Ballard have looked at every single snap Wentz has taken in his entire NFL career.     What has he done right?    What has he done wrong?    Are the problems fixable?   Can they be corrected?

I don't see these two betting on Wentz without doing ALL the due diligence possible.    Careers may be at stake here.

If these two have bet on Wentz,  I'd feel very good about our chances.   Both these guys are razor sharp.   Is it a 100% guarantee that things will go great?    No.    But I think the chances are very highly likely things will go well.   Wentz should be good in 2021.   And I'd expect even better in 2022.   

We should have better days ahead!    :thmup:

Wentz seeing him with Pitt and joking with Pat, Kenny, and Buck just seems like a weight has been lifted and is more comfortable and at ease. I don't know if that will improve his game, but I do think it will make it easier for him and he won't press as much as he had in years past.

19 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Anyway, here’s the clip:

There is already an entire thread about this. Another reason I refuse to watch this show. Greenberg is good but between Kiper and these mopes like Tannenbaum after they were all trashing him a month earlier. Nope.

11 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Confused. Why would you think that Wentz could have a great regular season but revert back to the 2020 Wentz in the playoffs. Don’t get that thinking for the life of me. 

Good point. I guess my concern is that he will be facing better teams in the playoffs and may be under more pressure, than in the regular season. He looked bad last year, when pressured but to your point, he may be fine, if the line protects him.

• Nadine changed the title to Kiper comment on Wentz trade (merge)
On 3/30/2021 at 6:48 AM, coltsfeva said:

Good point. I guess my concern is that he will be facing better teams in the playoffs and may be under more pressure, than in the regular season. He looked bad last year, when pressured but to your point, he may be fine, if the line protects him.

Well Kiper is definitely right about one thing, Philly was a complete dumpster fire last year, from the head coach all the way down. I just think, as many in this thread seem to as well, that it's still a wait and see what actually happens thing. I just think Kiper is categorically wrong in putting this move up there with the worst ever at this point.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:36 AM, coltsfeva said:

Anyway, here’s the clip:

I also wanted Stafford. I think a lot of us did. But what I'm happy with is that we got a younger QB that Frank Reich already knows and has worked with before in the past. Similar to Frank Reich working with Philip Rivers in the past. I remember seeing the posts here when we signed Rivers. Some people were freaking out and didn't like the decision. But ultimately Rivers had a great season with the Colts, I think he surprised many of us. That's where I'm hoping things play out like that with Wentz but even better. He won't be perfect but if you watch some past Philly games, they were horrendous. The protection was bad and Wentz still made some crazy plays with it all. If we can lock in our future LT (probably in this year's draft) Wentz is going to be playing well and smiling ear to ear. I'm anxious to see how this season is going to go.

10 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I also wanted Stafford. I think a lot of us did. But what I'm happy with is that we got a younger QB that Frank Reich already knows and has worked with before in the past. Similar to Frank Reich working with Philip Rivers in the past. I remember seeing the posts here when we signed Rivers. Some people were freaking out and didn't like the decision. But ultimately Rivers had a great season with the Colts, I think he surprised many of us. That's where I'm hoping things play out like that with Wentz but even better. He won't be perfect but if you watch some past Philly games, they were horrendous. The protection was bad and Wentz still made some crazy plays with it all. If we can lock in our future LT (probably in this year's draft) Wentz is going to be playing well and smiling ear to ear. I'm anxious to see how this season is going to go.

This is interesting. I'd take Wenz any day over Stafford. I had a colleague tell me "Anybody can work under ideal conditions", to which I responded "Yes, but no one can work under these." Guess we'll have to wait and see?

Archived