Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich on the Chris Collinsworth podcast(featuring Richard Sherman)


stitches
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, stitches said:

 

Highlights:

- DeForest Buckner is a strong presence and has huge impact not only on the field but in the lockerroom too

- Darius Leonard is the type... when you meet him you think "there is no way he can keep that type of energy all the time", but he does. Always high energy, always emotional... and he walks with a lot of confidence. He knows he's great but he knows it's all about the team. Great leader. Playmaker like none other at the position.

- TY - we want him back but the business side has to be right for both sides. Great leader and teammate. 

- Pittman was a steal - has all the traits - size, ballskills, fierce with the ball in his hands. Got hurt but when he got back he was on a tear. Points out he had a big game in the playoffs.

- on Wentz - we think we can get him back to his winning ways, first because we think he's that good of a player. We believe in our team and coaches and organization to bring him back. In Philly, he was expected to save the day. We have a strong team here, we are on the right track. We expect him to come here and make monster plays and do thigs that franchise QBs do, but that has to start with a consistent play day in and day out. You don't have to be the hero, just get in rhythm, run the offense, let the game come to you. 

- Carson was a bit of a victim of his own success early(mentions 3d down success early). Mentions that this is not the way it works in the long-term. You just have to do your job, focus on that and let everybody else do theirs.

- What happened in Philly last can't be blamed on a single person. Everyone has some blame. It was like a perfect storm. 

- The Colts had interest and were involved in talks for Stafford before they made the Wentz trade

- Wentz got beat up mentally and physically last year. Needed to regroup and refocus. He's ready for the next step now.

- Talked a bit about the threat of the RPO and the QB running and how putting that seed of doubt in the defense helps your offense. Wentz provides possibilities to this offense purely physically that Phillip Rivers(for as good as he played) couldn't give us.

- About FA - we will be patient. We will take some calculated shots, but you have to find the right players who complement what you are doing. We are never finished making the team better - but it has to make sense.

- Sammy Watkins is a piece of the puzzle we have to look at. Speed, size, playmaker. 

- Loved Denico and it was unfortunate that we lost him. Houston - has had 2 good years for us and has been a team captain and strong presence in the lockerroom. Sure we would love to get some of the superstars at DE in the league, but not everyone has those and if you don't have the superstars it becomes about who's the right guy for your team and system.

- We believed we had the team to win the SB last year. When it didn't happen the feeling was... disgust. You gotta learn from those losses and you gotta be motivated through those losses to get better and pursue the ultimate goal.

 

 

 

Good interview. He was more candid and open. Less coach speak and more Frank Reich. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

We should sign Sherman on a one year deal . Convert him to safety and let him switch back to corner when needed . He is great at zone coverage .

Use him as our #2 corner would be fantastic but offer 2 years with only one year of guaranteed money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of thoughts...

 

Will have to listen to the interview for context...if he was just talking about circumstances or the org. approach...but that sounds like an unfair jab at Reich's old team...this idea that PHI just expected Wentz to save the day. Wentz did a lot of that on his own.

 

In PHI...he still had a top 15 defense since 2018 that they continuously added FA talent to...a pretty good OL (until injuries happened this year)...and they drafted a 2nd round RB, a 2nd round TE (to pair with their Pro Bowl TE), a 2nd round WR (though it appears they whiffed), a 1st round WR...lots of draft capital on that side of the ball. 

 

I don't think they were relying on Wentz to play hero ball and win games. 

 

Colts have a better team...but not necessarily in the passing game if they don't plan to add to it.

 

But it sounds like they thought last year's team was a SB team. So that would (in part) explain the overall inactivity so far...if they think they already have the team in place. Only adding Wentz and a couple of minor tweaks would follow that belief.

 

Every time Reich talks about the offense...he alludes to this idea of a rhythm offense with the use of RPOs. Last season, it was all about getting more explosive...now it sounds like it's going to be about ball control and complementary football.

 

Piecing together everything...I think it feels like they are very much going to try to recreate the offense Wentz had in PHI:

 

- Ertz will play Ertz and Doyle will play Celek/Goedert...which will lead to an increased use of 12 personnel

- Pitt will be Alshon, as the big-bodied X WR who can go up and get it

- Watkins will be the big, fast complementary deep threat...ala Torrey Smith/DJax (TY doesn't really fit this role anymore, which would help explain why they haven't re-signed him)

- Campbell/Pascal will man the slot like like Agholor

- Hines will be the Darren Sproles/Wendell Smallwood/Boston Scott pass-catching RB 

- Taylor/Mack will be leaned on in the run game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a good interview.

 

Collingsworth is funny but he spent the whole interview trying to sell Sherman to Reich, it got annoying real early but he never stopped.

The OP  nailed the highlights. For me a few things stood out:

- They really want TY back but if the $ isn't right, goodbye.

- They think Pittman's just getting started and will be a beast.

- He really thinks this team can get to another level even as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Sherman ar his age would be a really good fit in the zone scheme for s year if we can’t bring Carrie back.


Sherman is very smart, and I think he gets this stage of his career; where he will get 1 year deals (or 2 year deals that can be 1 year). Even in the podcast, he seemed to fully understand that players like him will have to wait until the market is ready for him. He will have some interest, but at a much lower salary than he has recently made. 
 

Sherman would bring a veteran presence to the Colts and it could work. I don’t think Ballard is extremely interested in signing players at Sherman’s age, but you never know. Ballard mostly throws strikes, over the middle of the plate, but he is capable of throwing a curve ball here and there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, coming on strong said:

We should sign Sherman on a one year deal . Convert him to safety and let him switch back to corner when needed . He is great at zone coverage .


In Sherman’s prime, he was a great zone corner who was capable of shutting down anyone (one-on-one) who entered his zone. He was a great fit for Seattle because they had 2 safeties who could cover the entire field. Therefore offenses were usually not successful when trying to overload Sherman’s zone responsibilities. 
 

I don’t see Sherman as a viable safety in the NFL. It’s just not his game. He is not a physically aggressive defender, so we can uncheck strong safety. He is not fast enough to play single high, so we can uncheck free safety. 
 

Sherman is a zone corner, who can still play at a high level, if the safeties pull their weight. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listening to the Houston part, it sure sounds like they are attempting to re-sign him.  

 

One thing about Sherman - now that Vinny is gone, do we really have anyone on the team with a ring?  Wentz has one, I suppose, but you know the story on that.  Ballard and Frank both seem to like having a vet with a ring who can lead, give speeches, etc.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:


In Sherman’s prime, he was a great zone corner who was capable of shutting down anyone (one-on-one) who entered his zone. He was a great fit for Seattle because they had 2 safeties who could cover the entire field. Therefore offenses were usually not successful when trying to overload Sherman’s zone responsibilities. 
 

I don’t see Sherman as a viable safety in the NFL. It’s just not his game. He is not a physically aggressive defender, so we can uncheck strong safety. He is not fast enough to play single high, so we can uncheck free safety. 
 

Sherman is a zone corner, who can still play at a high level, if the safeties pull their weight. 

Jury is still out on Blackmon.  Hopefully he puts it together year 2.  I still have high hopes for him. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Listening to the Houston part, it sure sounds like they are attempting to re-sign him.  

 

One thing about Sherman - now that Vinny is gone, do we really have anyone on the team with a ring?  Wentz has one, I suppose, but you know the story on that.  Ballard and Frank both seem to like having a vet with a ring who can lead, give speeches, etc.  

you don’t have to have a ring to be a leader.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, shasta519 said:

A couple of thoughts...

 

Will have to listen to the interview for context...if he was just talking about circumstances or the org. approach...but that sounds like an unfair jab at Reich's old team...this idea that PHI just expected Wentz to save the day. Wentz did a lot of that on his own.

 

In PHI...he still had a top 15 defense since 2018 that they continuously added FA talent to...a pretty good OL (until injuries happened this year)...and they drafted a 2nd round RB, a 2nd round TE (to pair with their Pro Bowl TE), a 2nd round WR (though it appears they whiffed), a 1st round WR...lots of draft capital on that side of the ball. 

 

I don't think they were relying on Wentz to play hero ball and win games. 

 

Colts have a better team...but not necessarily in the passing game if they don't plan to add to it.

 

But it sounds like they thought last year's team was a SB team. So that would (in part) explain the overall inactivity so far...if they think they already have the team in place. Only adding Wentz and a couple of minor tweaks would follow that belief.

 

Every time Reich talks about the offense...he alludes to this idea of a rhythm offense with the use of RPOs. Last season, it was all about getting more explosive...now it sounds like it's going to be about ball control and complementary football.

 

Piecing together everything...I think it feels like they are very much going to try to recreate the offense Wentz had in PHI:

 

- Ertz will play Ertz and Doyle will play Celek/Goedert...which will lead to an increased use of 12 personnel

- Pitt will be Alshon, as the big-bodied X WR who can go up and get it

- Watkins will be the big, fast complementary deep threat...ala Torrey Smith/DJax (TY doesn't really fit this role anymore, which would help explain why they haven't re-signed him)

- Campbell/Pascal will man the slot like like Agholor

- Hines will be the Darren Sproles/Wendell Smallwood/Boston Scott pass-catching RB 

- Taylor/Mack will be leaned on in the run game

Interesting theory. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Reich is one of the greatest assets the Colts have; he is awesome. Hope he is the coach and calling plays for years to come. 
    • He's an interesting case. Last week against Buffalo he made several critical blocks to spring nice runs, and this week makes several nice catches. Particularly liked the toe drag swag for the first down. Really good all around contributor.
    • you're way oversimplifying to try to justify your point.  It's not so much about one player as it is about completely ignoring one important aspect of the game....the running game.  if they took Taylor out and gave the carries to Jackson, Hines or Mack, that would have still been infinitely better than not attempting a run for over an entire quarter.   It was proven in the other threads that when the colts at least attempt to run the ball (even in a pass heavy offense with a 2:1 pass to run ratio):   -the colts commit far fewer turnovers -the colts punt far less frequently -the colts score more efficiently   something that won't show up on any stat sheet:  when run blocking, the offensive line gets to attack the opposing defensive line.  when pass blocking, the opposing defensive line gets to attack our offensive line.  it only stands to reason that the opposing defensive line will wear down far more quickly when they're being attacked than when they're doing the attacking.  this only helps the passing game by wearing down the opposing pass rushers.   even the great peyton manning wasn't able to beat teams all on his own.  the one time they had the most success from an offensive perspective in the playoffs was when he continued to utilize the running game with addai and rhodes.  how many years did the offense stink up the place in playoff games because peyton put everything on his shoulders and failed to utilize the running game, even when it was very successful in the regular season?     Frank was given one of the best offensive lines in football which is one of the best in run blocking in the league, and maybe above average in pass blocking.  he wasn't scared to play to his strengths against buffalo so I can't even fathom why he refused to do the same against the bucs.  in his post game presser he tried to justify by saying the run wasn't working in the first quarter.  that's true.  what he failed to mention was that the run game was successful in the 2nd quarter and that's when the offense as a whole was the most effective and scored the most points.     it's no coincidence that the colt's record is far better when they attempt at least 18-20+ rushes vs the very poor record in games when they rush for 15 or fewer.  spread the rushing attempts around to mack, hines, jackson and taylor if you want.  that's fine.  it's still keeping the defense honest.  though, it only makes sense to give as many as possible to the guy averaging over 5 ypc, even against the best rush defenses in the league.  one of the few non-qbs to get himself into the mvp conversation.  
    • Nothing wrong at all with being critical of Frank, Wentz, Fish, or whoever. If they play bad or Frank has some head scratching calls I get it. I am critical of players and coaches but to say we should get rid of someone everytime we lose is comical when people do that, JMO.
    • He would of scored a TD had Fisher held on for one more second against barrett.
  • Members

    • The Peytonator

      The Peytonator 466

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • B~Town

      B~Town 266

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Malakai432

      Malakai432 1,045

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MFT5

      MFT5 234

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyEric07

      IndyEric07 329

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Tsarquise

      Tsarquise 496

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Cisneros

      Jared Cisneros 4,405

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • buccolts

      buccolts 2,872

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • life long

      life long 353

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SR711

      SR711 315

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...