Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4 free agents to sign

Who knows what will happen in the next week, but here are four players I'd sign right now to fill 4 key holes. 

1. TY Hilton. Two years, $14 million, $10m guaranteed. 

2. JaDaveon Clowney. One year, $8 million, fully guaranteed, with a team option for 2022 at $12 million. 

3. Russell Okung. One year, $5 million, with an additional $3 million in incentives based upon number of games played. 

4. Dan Arnold, Two years, $8 million, with $4m guaranteed. 

You then trade back from #21 to get either:  a late first and a third rounder, or: an early second and a third to get back the pick lost in the Wentz trade. 

You select your LT or Edge of the future with the first pick, vice versa with the second, and either a CB or WR with the new third pick. 

I know there needs to be $ for Q, Smith, Leonard, and HInes in the next couple of years, but I don't believe this puts the Colts in a position where they can't get that done. Please weigh in if you disagree, or even if you don't.

17 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Who knows what will happen in the next week, but here are four players I'd sign right now to fill 4 key holes. 

1. TY Hilton. Two years, $14 million, $10m guaranteed. 

2. JaDaveon Clowney. One year, $8 million, fully guaranteed, with a team option for 2022 at $12 million. 

3. Russell Okung. One year, $5 million, with an additional $3 million in incentives based upon number of games played. 

4. Dan Arnold, Two years, $8 million, with $4m guaranteed. 

You then trade back from #21 to get either:  a late first and a third rounder, or: an early second and a third to get back the pick lost in the Wentz trade. 

You select your LT or Edge of the future with the first pick, vice versa with the second, and either a CB or WR with the new third pick. 

I know there needs to be $ for Q, Smith, Leonard, and HInes in the next couple of years, but I don't believe this puts the Colts in a position where they can't get that done. Please weigh in if you disagree, or even if you don't.

I would be all in if this happened.

I would stay away from Clowney, he is so overrated IMO and has had a good NFL career but nothing very good or great. He has age on him now too. I would:

1. Re-sign TY for 15 Mill for 2 years at 7.5 a year. Ends his career here. TY loves being a Colt. 7.5 a year isn't a bad deal. He still is good, just not great anymore.

2. Re-sign Houston for 9 Mill 1 year. He had 8 sacks last year.

3. Stick to the game plan, keep your #21 pick and take a LT. 

4. My WR room would be TY, Pittman, Pascal, Campbell, and Patmon.

-The Rhodes signing was nice, that helps our secondary. A lot of our success will depend on how good Wentz can be in reality. If he can be as good as Rivers was last season then we will make the playoffs. I see JT having a huge season, like 1400 yards rushing and 10 TD's. Nelson, Leonard, Moore, and Buckner all have to stay healthy, that is important as well.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would stay away from Clowney, he is so overrated IMO and has had a good NFL career but nothing very good or great. He has age on him now too. I would:

1. Re-sign TY for 15 Mill for 2 years at 7.5 a year. Ends his career here. TY loves being a Colt. 7.5 a year isn't a bad deal. He still is good, just not great anymore.

-The Rhodes signing was nice, that helps our secondary. A lot of our success will depend on how good Wentz can be in reality. If he can be as good as Rivers was last season then we will make the playoffs. I see JT having a huge season, like 1400 yards rushing and 10 TD's. Nelson, Leonard, Moore, and Buckner all have to stay healthy, that is important as well.

Clowney has age on him?  He is only 28. Houston is 32.  Try again.  I say sign them both.  Clowney next to Buckner would be a nightmare for our opponents.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think Houston's market is 9 mill. I think closer to 6 ... 6.5. He had a few nice games but too many where he was just a guy.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Clowney has age on him?  He is only 28. Houston is 32.  Try again.  I say sign them both.  Clowney next to Buckner would be a nightmare for our opponents.

Houston had 8 sacks last year and is a borderline Hall of Famer, Clowney had 0 sacks last year in 8 games and so try again lol. He is playing like he is 38 not 28.

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I don't think Houston's market is 9 mill. I think closer to 6 ... 6.5. He had a few nice games but too many where he was just a guy.

I hope you are right but I doubt it. Someone will sign him for 8 or 9 mill. If we get him for 6 mill that would be highway robbery, I would take it though. 

I don't think anyone questions Clowney's talent. He's an amazing football player, but had a horrendous year last year. I'd take a flyer on one of the top rated  DE's just two years ago who is also is under 30. The Colts need to take a few chances to improve. They have the locker room to keep Clowney in line for anyone concerned about that. Give him an incentive laden contract and see what happens. At worst, the Colts still have an underwhelming pass rush. At best, Clowney takes it to another level and the Colts get huge benefits. To me, this is the type of move they can and should make. 

I'm also curious what the Board thinks of Okung. Is he or another specific veteran worth a shot to fill the LT slot for a year or so until a younger, high draft pick is ready to take his spot? It seems a bridge is a smart move in getting to a new, younger LT anchor. 

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I'm also curious what the Board thinks of Okung. Is he or another specific veteran worth a shot to fill the LT slot for a year or so until a younger, high draft pick is ready to take his spot? It seems a bridge is a smart move in getting to a new, younger LT anchor. 

I actually think your suggestion is more likely to happen versus just giving the spot to a rookie and hoping he is able to hold up.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Houston had 8 sacks last year and is a borderline Hall of Famer, Clowney had 0 sacks last year in 8 games and so try again lol. He is playing like he is 38 not 28.

He also had 7 games where he had 1 or less tackles. 3 of his sacks came in one game against Houston. It was a great game, but at the same time, there were some significant stretches where Houston disappeared.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14048/justin-houston

20 minutes ago, Hoose said:

A bridge OT has long been my position.   But I don’t think it’s going to happen.  (But id happy if I was wrong). 

One, Irsay has been publicly talking about solving the LT position in the draft. 

Two, Zack Keifer has been reporting that we have already signed a backup OT, speculated to be Julian Davenport, subject to passing a physical.   He feels like depth, not a bridge.  

Three, do you see the Colts bringing in THREE OT’s this off-season?   Draft pick, Bridge and depth?   I would be fine if we did, but I don’t see the Colts doing that. 

18 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

He also had 7 games where he had 1 or less tackles. 3 of his sacks came in one game against Houston. It was a great game, but at the same time, there were some significant stretches where Houston disappeared.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14048/justin-houston

I know but at least he had some good games. Did Clowney ever even appear last year? 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Clowney is a glorified run stopper and a bad pass rusher

Houston's better than him

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I've always found it funny when fans think they know what "market value" is.    They haven't talked to gms or agents,  but they think they know market value.  Hilarious 

So , according to you it's "hilarious" that I have an opinion that Houston will not get 9-10 million ? Must not take a whole lot to amuse you.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know but at least he had some good games. Did Clowney ever even appear last year? 

I'm wondering if Clowney's struggles last season were just being in the wrong scheme. I know he's not the best pass rusher, but he was uncharacteristically invisible at times last season.

43 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

1. Bring Houston and Hilton back

2. Sign Kpassagnon 

Thats it 

That's all I want

I'd be good with this..

45 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I expect us to re-sign Hinton, trade for/sign Zach Ertz, sign Justin Houston/Carlos Dunlap, and sign another D-lineman to the rotation such as Hyder/Kpaasagnon.

Sorry, but Hyder?   Don’t know him.   Can you give me a first name and team so I can look him up?    Thanks. 

Ok, I found him.   Never mind.     :thmup:

Houston looked gassed at times last year. Unless we draft two DEs (Its possible) I would keep him and put him in a rotation

Clowney even with his underperformance, plays the run better than almost all DEs

He also usually has a decent number of pressures. In a situational role, on a cheap incentive laden contract ($5-7M)

I would bring him in

I do think that we shouldnt force the 21st pick into a LT.

Im actually hoping that a DE is the BPA.  

Im hoping we trade the pick and get an additional 3rd (Jets?) to go with their 2nd. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but Hyder?   Don’t know him.   Can you give me a first name and team so I can look him up?    Thanks. 

Ok, I found him.   Never mind.     :thmup:

Kerry Hyder. 

Had 8.5 sacks last year. Surprised that he isn't more of a hot commodity.

30 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I read that the Chiefs are interested in TY Hilton, though don't know how accurate that is. So it looks like the Colts and Chiefs are bidding for him. 

CB wants a comp pick rather than TY i believe. And save the ca$h.
 It's a learning year with a new QB and TY would be taking snaps and development from our young guys.
 We have Paris Campbell, Hines, and Dullin as speed guys, and should expect they are looking for a draft pick to add.
 Pascal has been developed into a good player and they expect they will do it with Pittman and Pattmon. We have lots of potential on the roster now. Plenty of weapons for Frank to build a passing attack.

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I've always found it funny when fans think they know what "market value" is.    They haven't talked to gms or agents,  but they think they know market value.  Hilarious 

It’s not entirely out of the realm of educated speculation.  Math, extrapolation, coupled with demand perception.  Ergo, educated guessing.  But yes, unless one is privy to the player’s agent and league GMs, how can one be sure?  I mean, even GMs tend to get it wrong more times than not.  Like any commodity, it just takes one buyer willing to pay more than the others to shake up the market.

11 hours ago, Shive said:

I'm wondering if Clowney's struggles last season were just being in the wrong scheme. I know he's not the best pass rusher, but he was uncharacteristically invisible at times last season ...

Sounds like a guy in need of getting into the right situation to propel himself with a couple of nice bounce back seasons that include good health and a quiet mouth.  Good health and a quiet mouth, are these two things Clowney is capable of?  If so, count myself intrigued by the potential.

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I read that the Chiefs are interested in TY Hilton, though don't know how accurate that is. So it looks like the Colts and Chiefs are bidding for him. 

I wish they would sign Golden Tate and let a Hilton walk. I know that’s unpopular, but believe Tate is the better choice now.

41 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I wish they would sign Golden Tate and let a Hilton walk. I know that’s unpopular, but believe Tate is the better choice now.

I'll take TY. BTW, the Chiefs don't have a lot of money left, do they? Hard to see them bidding a lot for TY. 

Kassifieltmignom as a riser (like Autry when we signed him) to provide depth and potentially earn that starting LDE position

Clowney to be the disruptor on the RDE side lined up next to Buckner. Our locker room leaders, aka Buckner and Leonard can keep him in line if he starts to act like a rogue on the field

T.Y. for both sentimental reasons and because I truly think he would be great out of the slot and be utilized as a deep threat.

Roderic Johnson (OT) because of Stampede Blue's writeup where they pointed out how his strengths as a pass blocker work in our system, versus how his weaknesses were seemingly highlighted in the Texans scheme.

Ertz because duh.....

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I forgot how to spell Tonah's last name so I improvised.....lol.....the 6'7" & 289 lbs DE from KC......

I figured that was who you were talking about, but it was just so wild of an improv. lol

I will say that I wouldn't be mad at all if those were the players we brought in and for the reasons you gave.

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

I figured that was who you were talking about, but it was just so wild of an improv. lol

I will say that I wouldn't be mad at all if those were the players we brought in and for the reasons you gave.

At the very worst, we have a starter to replace Houston who isn't as long in the tooth......we have TY back to beat up on Houston twice a year.......we have a VERY LARGE man to line up at LDE to stop the run (if he beats out Lewis) and clog up passing lanes..........and a tackle that could be our new Haeg, swing back and forth as depth OR blossom into a starter like Glow did when placed in the right scheme. Are they world altering moves, nope, but they lengthen the lineup and improve the overall level of play in my mind. Clowney, in my mind, COULD be a world beater if his hurries turn into sacks.

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

It’s not entirely out of the realm of educated speculation.  Math, extrapolation, coupled with demand perception.  Ergo, educated guessing.  But yes, unless one is privy to the player’s agent and league GMs, how can one be sure?  I mean, even GMs tend to get it wrong more times than not.  Like any commodity, it just takes one buyer willing to pay more than the others to shake up the market.

This. Nobody knows until they sign the paperwork.

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Houston looked gassed at times last year. Unless we draft two DEs (Its possible) I would keep him and put him in a rotation

Clowney even with his underperformance, plays the run better than almost all DEs

He also usually has a decent number of pressures. In a situational role, on a cheap incentive laden contract ($5-7M)

I would bring him in

I do think that we shouldnt force the 21st pick into a LT.

Im actually hoping that a DE is the BPA.  

Im hoping we trade the pick and get an additional 3rd (Jets?) to go with their 2nd. 

Well that's going to be a tough move to pull off. I definitely agree though that it's generally wiser to seek out youth at DE/Edge. However, having already traded away a 3rd round pick this year and at least a 2nd next year, I don't see Indy being able to reliably trade up to get their guy, and still get a serviceable LT both via drafting. For pass rushers I feel it's 1st round or bust because of the drop off in talent and the demand for the skill set. Chances of anyone worth their salt at the position falling to #21 this year are slim to none, especially when you consider how specialized the position has become, and why you don't go after a guy like Bud Dupree for a defense that runs 4-2-5 personnel a significant portion of snaps.

So yeah if a talent like Paye falls that far you could probably still get a solid rookie LT on day 2, but outside of that I think Ballard is clearly looking forward to 2022 if he's going to swing big at all. The other thing is, solid pass rushers in their prime don't usually just hit the bricks in FA. Yeah the cap is restrictive this year for everyone and Indy has extensions and such looming, but I would have at least kicked the tires on a couple of the younger FA DEs this year strictly because of how difficult the position is to get right.

Archived