Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cease Fire Please (You Know Who You Are)

We have some posters following each other around and posting snide comments on a regular basis

This is because they do not agree on some aspect of the whole manning/luck issue

Here is the thing

(1) nobody is going to change their mind

(2) You are making many threads unpleasant with your personal shots (veiled and otherwise)

There is no point in continuing this and I am asking you all to please stop

If there is someone who bothers you, accept it and move on, put them on your ignore list

If you have already gone round and around and around with a particular site member on the same issue.........please don't do it again

Nobody likes it. Everybody dislikes it.

We all understand that you do not like each other. We don't need to see any more. So if you are going to be taking pot shots at each other, do not do it on the boards. Take it elsewhere

We are going to have to start issuing suspensions for these sorts of posts........no matter how veiled they are.

Thank you

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can appreciate the position you are in as chief moderator Maureen & I will honestly admit that I have stepped over the line more than once. I am trying to understand why your staff is having difficulty separating sarcasm from personal attacks. They are not 1 in the same. I am not trying to rock the boat or upset the apple cart here. How is a person supposed to defend their position from contrary viewpoints when the slightest bit of playful banter warrants a challenge flag?

I realize that you want to create a PG family friendly environment on here where ever ideas are accepted, embraced, & welcomed. I want that reality as well. Real debate revolves around critical thinking of controversial topics. Not everyone is going to agree with specific conclusions on a given topic. Ignore lists curtail fruitful debate. Real growth comes from provocative & rigorous debate not sidestepping & let's all subscribe to a 1 size fits all cookie cutter mentality. Decades of scholastic & on the job training has taught me that crucial lesson. There is a time to fall in line & a time to put conventional wisdom on it's head & literally think outside the box.

How do you define humor? What 1 person might find funny another might find repulsive & or inflammatory? Sadly, too may people misinterpret both irony & sarcasm. Would you like this site to turn into facts, numbers, statistics, & dry mindless data alone? I will stop here before this legitimate question gets misconstrued as inflammatory rhetoric in some circles.

Again, I am not trying to rub anyone the wrong way here Maureen, but people must be able to strike a delicate balance between humor, provocative debate, articulating ones own perspective, real growth from controversy, & what real inflammatory intent looks like. Have I stepped over the line before? Yes. Am I a mean spirited person or troll? No. Do I respect you & your staff? Yes. Is further discussion about this topic warranted? Absolutely. Do I want lively discussions on intriguing topics viewed as heated by some? Absolutely. Can we find a happy medium between discourse & mutual respect for everyone on the Forum? I strive for that level of perfection each & every day &, much to my chagrin, I sometimes fall short of that utopian ideal.

Thank you Maureen for listening to my concerns on this matter. I really do appreciate it. Thank you for your cooperation.

I personally believe that there is a line between being cheeky and making things personal. I think we must have good discussions here and that means that they will be lively.

For the majority of the issues we have faced in the last several months (it seems), most things stem from the spirit from which the posts were intended. If they are meant to incite and provoke a nasty response or are meant to just push a button, then perhaps the comments are better off given a second thought prior to sending. Because posting a message for the sole intention to incite is equal to trolling.

At the same time, because it is the internet we do not have the face to face interaction to always help understand the intent to the post. What some feel are just sarcastic remarks meant in jest, another may feel was an intentional hurtful personal shot. It helps to take a step back and look at things from another point of view and that is not easy to do (believe me).

A lot of us come to the message board to blow off steam at the end of the day or to release some boredom during the workday. Maybe it makes a person feel better to pick a little fuss and argue about nothing really with another poster. (just hypothetically speaking, mind you) But there are others concerned who may also be having a hard time or a bad day. It helps to remember that.

The last season and especially the last month or so has been very emotional for Colts fans. We just all need to try to be better to each other. Things will work out.

I am trying to understand why your staff is having difficulty separating sarcasm from personal attacks. They are not 1 in the same.

What some feel are just sarcastic remarks meant in jest, another may feel was an intentional hurtful personal shot.

I've had a few blowups on here with a poster who defends himself by saying that it was "just sarcasm". (The fact that he refuses to use emoticons doesn't help). I've heard many others say similar things. I've never quite understood, however, why this would be an acceptable defense regardless.

http://www.merriam-w...tionary/sarcasm

Definition of SARCASM

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

2: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

-------------

Sarcasm is often used as a weapon. The fact that a comment might be amusing doesn't mitigate a personal provocation. The question is whether you are laughing with someone or at them.

I personally believe that there is a line between being cheeky and making things personal. I think we must have good discussions here and that means that they will be lively.

For the majority of the issues we have faced in the last several months (it seems), most things stem from the spirit from which the posts were intended. If they are meant to incite and provoke a nasty response or are meant to just push a button, then perhaps the comments are better off given a second thought prior to sending. Because posting a message for the sole intention to incite is equal to trolling.

At the same time, because it is the internet we do not have the face to face interaction to always help understand the intent to the post. What some feel are just sarcastic remarks meant in jest, another may feel was an intentional hurtful personal shot. It helps to take a step back and look at things from another point of view and that is not easy to do (believe me).

A lot of us come to the message board to blow off steam at the end of the day or to release some boredom during the workday. Maybe it makes a person feel better to pick a little fuss and argue about nothing really with another poster. (just hypothetically speaking, mind you) But there are others concerned who may also be having a hard time or a bad day. It helps to remember that.

The last season and especially the last month or so has been very emotional for Colts fans. We just all need to try to be better to each other. Things will work out.

PeytonGirl,

You made a number of valid points: lively discussion is encouraged, think before you click send or post, forum visitors typically seekout peaceful debates in a respectful manner, & losing Peyton is a devastating blow that some of us will never completely recover from. I agree 100% with every word conveyed in your well thought out post. Maybe it helps to remember this: If you wouldn't like that sentence uttered aloud in your face either, modify it, rephrase it, or don't add it.

I am sarcastic by nature. Irony is in my DNA. It is who I am. I can't change that. But, when I wanna say 1 last thing, I will seriously try to refrain from succumbing to that unruly impulse. I can't promise anything, but I will do my best here.

I am not perfect. I make mistakes. I have no deliberate intentions of making anyone feel uneasy or uncomfortable. Yet, I do enjoy controversy; not creating or perpetuating it, but rather hashing topics out from every conceivable angle.

To be fair, no moderators job is a simple one either. On good days, you are invisible. On bad days, you must step in & lower high emotions. We are all searching for common ground here.

Thank you PeytonGirl for your wisdom in this matter. It helps to discuss & mull things over. I appreciate that.

This forum is not that serious. What we say on here is not going to change anything. I haven't made any personal attacks on anyone nor has anyone made any on me. The only thing on the thread that really irks me is some of the borderline racist comments, hidden or unhidden, when it comes to Luck vs RGIII.

I've had a few blowups on here with a poster who defends himself by saying that it was "just sarcasm". (The fact that he refuses to use emoticons doesn't help). I've heard many others say similar things. I've never quite understood, however, why this would be an acceptable defense regardless.

http://www.merriam-w...tionary/sarcasm

Definition of SARCASM

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

2: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

-------------

Sarcasm is often used as a weapon. The fact that a comment might be amusing doesn't mitigate a personal provocation. The question is whether you are laughing with someone or at them.

MAC,

I will acknowledge that sarcasm in the wrong hands can knock down, slice, poke, & prod in a cruel & vindictive manner. One of my favorite comedians of all time George Carlin elevated sarcasm to an artform. He spoke intimately & elaborately about glaring contradictions in the English language, oxymorons, & the real intent behind influential power brokers in this world pushing for the exact opposite of what they advocate publicly.

I agree humor intended to demean another human being has no place in public discourse. Sarcasm in the hands of brilliant thinkers like George Carlin is an entirely different dynamic however. Clever wit really makes you ponder why we move like blind sheep to the drum of distraction, distortion, & discontent IMO.

All must join the club (see banner in my signature). :grouphug:

I have a strict policy not to join any club that'd have me as a member.

Where do I sign up?

Also, the word 'delusional' sets me off, and I don't care who it's directed at.

I have a strict policy not to join any club that'd have me as a member.

Where do I sign up?

Also, the word 'delusional' sets me off, and I don't care who it's directed at.

OK Groucho :) (one of my favorite lines ever) just find ruksaks signature on any of his posts and click on the link. He is the unholy ringleader.

This forum is not that serious. What we say on here is not going to change anything. I haven't made any personal attacks on anyone nor has anyone made any on me. The only thing on the thread that really irks me is some of the borderline racist comments, hidden or unhidden, when it comes to Luck vs RGIII.

Such as?

I'm apparently illiterate according to one poster on here whose name will remain anonymous. Yay!!!!! haha

Unfortunately I must not be able to read or write because I simply misunderstood his/her post. I guess I'll have to pack the Rambo lunch box and head back to elementary school my dear Watson. :facepalm:

I agree with both moderators. PG said something that I think is key: "It helps to take a step back and look at things from another point of view and that is not easy to do." If everyone is wanting to enjoy debating and hashing out topics and have peace and all that jazz, then why have baited comments. Why make multiple veiled comments? As my Momma always taught me--do and say unto others that you would have them do unto you. Point blank, end of story. It will also help if everyone will remember that most (if not all) everyone is not out to get you, and you will have difference of opinions. But as my Dad always says--opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. Be respectful of others views and opinions, politely respond, and please leave it at that. Please, I say again, please do not bait others--it tears down what we have here. Remember, we all have one very big thing in common: WE ALL LOVE THE COLTS. I try to think my posts through, and honestly I try to be respectful. Some have baited me, but I do believe that I have done ok with my responses. Let's debate, let's think critically, and let's be the adults we all should be. If we do that, then we will be ok. :yay: :highfive: :dance::grouphug:

I love talking :coltslogo: and I love talking :fb: football :fb: . SO, let's get to it!

:coltshorse:

Have only been on here for a month or so. Have been enjoying it up till now. This post starts out with a simple request and has turned into a heated and not always nice debate. I have seen some rude posts, but I just scroll past them or go to another post and not worry about it. After going through this post, not sure if I am going to put anymore posts here or respond to any of them. Feel uncomfotable writing anything now, surely wouldn't want to offend or get anyone upset. Hope you all iron this out and go back to enjoying this site, may or may not be back. Goodnight to the friends I have made here in this short time

Have only been on here for a month or so. Have been enjoying it up till now. This post starts out with a simple request and has turned into a heated and not always nice debate. I have seen some rude posts, but I just scroll past them or go to another post and not worry about it. After going through this post, not sure if I am going to put anymore posts here or respond to any of them. Feel uncomfotable writing anything now, surely wouldn't want to offend or get anyone upset. Hope you all iron this out and go back to enjoying this site, may or may not be back. Goodnight to the friends I have made here in this short time

Coltsman51, I hope to see you back. There is always going to be some issues especially when dealing with a lot of people, but like you said you can scroll on past them and just ignore them to continue to enjoy the site. Please don't let some posts and/or people cause you to not want to be on this site. 90% of us are fine and just want to discuss football on friendly terms.

I hope to see you back!

do as I do, or try to do, just ignore those that bother you and converse with the ones you choose. I've enjoyed our conversations, Coltman51

I know I personally have encountered some posts that I thought were totally bogus and most times I would scroll past it. In life a person realizes that you can't please everyone and everyone isn't going to agree on the same thing. Sometimes you have to think that there is some people out there who just live to argue and just want to say things to rile people up. I just think that everyone just has to take a deep breath and post rationally, I mean most of us are adults and know how to handle ourselves.

I guess I missed most of this which I can say I am happy for that. I think it is just one of those golden rules, You treat others as you wish to be treated, You get what you give kinda thing, I do not understand why some people choose to stir the pot and cause a ruckus. I honestly think some people live off causing drama. I know people are not perfect and we all have our less then stellar moments, That being said, if your always on here posting negative comments then people will never take it as joking, If I make a comment that I think may upest people I try to edit. I either take it out completely or edit it to add an lol or just kidding. I think the majority of posters on here all get along pretty good for such a large group. There will be people who disagree no matter what, just ignore them, Life is too short to be upset by something like that.

Have only been on here for a month or so. Have been enjoying it up till now. This post starts out with a simple request and has turned into a heated and not always nice debate. I have seen some rude posts, but I just scroll past them or go to another post and not worry about it. After going through this post, not sure if I am going to put anymore posts here or respond to any of them. Feel uncomfortable writing anything now, surely wouldn't want to offend or get anyone upset. Hope you all iron this out and go back to enjoying this site, may or may not be back. Goodnight to the friends I have made here in this short time

Coltman51,

I share your apprehension here. Not that I have any difficulty advocating my perspective on any topic, but rather how that perspective is being perceived & interpreted by those individuals who regulate this site. The vast majority of people on this site are adults not attention deficit children. "Discretion is the better part of valor." You must be able to distinguish a credible threat from a insignificant skirmish. The code of conduct guidelines are clearly written from a zero tolerance no exceptions directive. I wish that all writers of rules & regulations were required to take an editing class first. A class in which the art of manual writing is dealt with in painstaking detail. You would be surprised how creating instruction pamphlets teaches you the science of step by step razor sharp thorough communication, precise examples, visual aids, & a multitude of variables like language barriers, cultural barriers, geographic barriers, & social barriers to be cognizant of at all times.

A free flowing exchange of ideas must not be substituted for anambiguous atmosphere of tension simply because a person's humor or innocent remark is erroneously viewed as volatile or inflammatory. This is why an editing class is so crucial when it comes to devising exact set of rules & regulations for any agency, institution, or website IMO. Concrete examples are succinctly laid out in crystal clear detail. No interpretation is clouding a person's judgement. 2 + 2 always equals 4.

I just hope that we can all walk the tight rope of respectful dialog Vs. well written rules & regulations that are easy to follow & make sense to everyone on Colts Forum.

I appreciate the jobs the mods do, but the “remember the rules” and “be nice to everyone threads” seem to get people more stirred up than the posts they are aimed at stopping.

I agree that at a certain point the arguments derail the topic of the thread and the mods need to step in and get it back on topic/lock it etc. Sure there is the occasional post that goes way too far and that person deserves a suspension; but some people are just way too sensitive and need to realize this is just a forum and there is an ignore feature available to them.

The mods need to quit worrying so much about someone getting their feelings hurt. I participate in several forums and most function quite well without this level of coddling. It sometimes seems like the mods here are trying to create this “everyone’s opinion is equally valid” & “everyone gets a trophy” culture which just creates more whiners.

people must be able to strike a delicate balance between humor, provocative debate, articulating ones own perspective, real growth from controversy, & what real inflammatory intent looks like.

Yes this is true.

I'm a fan of sarcasm and wit and I do not want to remove it from the board at all. My favorite posters are often sarcastic

What I am referring to are the verbal brawls between site members that in excruciating detail argue some point of the Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning topic derailing threads with their personal argument to the point well past anyone wanting to read the thread any further.

The whole manning/luck thing tends to degenerate into something rather nasty (even if it technically stays within the rules

That is what I mean by nobody is going to change their mind

we have this sort of thing popping up in multiple threads. It's not interesting or funny. It does not inspire people to discuss.

Main Entry: belabor Part of Speech: verb Definition: dwell on Synonyms: beat a dead horse , go on about, hammerhome, overwork, pound, rehash, repeat

be·la·bor   [bih-ley-ber] Show IPA

verb (used with object)

to explain, worry about, or work at (something) repeatedly or more than is necessary: He kept belaboring the point long after we had agreed.

to assail persistently, as with scorn or ridicule: a book that belabors the provincialism of his contemporaries.

to beat vigorously; ply with heavy blows.

Agree that it is just a discussion board and the issue is that sometimes people take these discussions too seriously.

Agree on the efforts to turn the #1 draft discussion into a race issue. Not allowed

I'm apparently illiterate according to one poster on here whose name will remain anonymous. Yay!!!!! haha

Unfortunately I must not be able to read or write because I simply misunderstood his/her post. I guess I'll have to pack the Rambo lunch box and head back to elementary school my dear Watson. :facepalm:

If I failed to remove that, please flag for me

We do remove comments like this all the time. We also issue warnings and suspensions. That may have happened and you would not know because we don't share that info

I am sorry you feel that way

I think the responses have been ok though.

Hope you return

Yikes....I hope it wasn't anything I said......Please PM me, Maureen, if it was.

On another note, I wonder where Jaric is............mighty suspicious.................

Of course it wasn't you. Good question about Jaric. Go find him please!