Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How can you tell if a RT (Braden Smith) would be a good left tackle?

Hark

With all the talk about what the Colts will do at LT for 2021, I have heard one of the options might be moving Smith from RT to LT and then drafting/signing a new right tackle. That makes more sense to me than trying to move Q to LT, and RT seems to be an easier position to fill than LT. Having said all that, I have no idea what the real differences are, and was wondering if someone with more expertise would take this question on and offer some thoughts on why moving Smith would or wouldn't be good based on what we know about him.

Why does everyone wanna play musical chairs with our line?

Draft a LT and/or FA and be done with it.  Why would we wanna mess with two or more positions to fix one?  I’m tired of the “guards and RTs are easier to find than LTs.”  We’re playing with fire moving guys around.

Theres PLENTY of time and resources to find a replacement. 

There is no way to be sure from watching him play RT.  Fwiw Q himself along with Castanzo have said they believe Nelson would be fine or even excel at LT.  He would have been a LT in college if the team needed one.

Smith might work too, the plan is probably to draft one though.  No guarantees going into the draft, they have a few options 

If Q would be a top 10 tackle I would fully support moving him.  He will command big money regardless of his position so might as well capitalize on paying for a premium position with the hopes of getting a good LG.  That’s a big if tho.  The league is full of speed rushers on the outside and that will be a big change from the power moves Q mostly sees.  I think he might be the one that can switch positions the best but I’m still in favor of drafting a left tackle in the first round.  Get someone that plays the position and will fill the spot for the next 10yrs. 

Playing a position on the offensive line is a combination of physical characteristics, athleticism, strength, and leverage, along with learned experience, and comfort with a position.  Not every player can play every position.  Just because a player is good at the position he plays doesn't mean he'll be just as good at a different position.  There are often different requirements, or his experience doing a different thing with a different technique makes him not as good at the new position.

Remember how we tried moving Jack Mewhort up and down the line, trying him at different positions?  He was our best lineman (when healthy).  So we tried him at right tackle, we tried him at right guard, we tried him at center.  We tried him at every other position where we had a weakness.  But he never was as good at those positions as he was at his own position, left guard.

Braden Smith played guard at Auburn.  And we drafted him to play right guard for us.  Thing is, Mark Glowinski was already doing a decent job there.  But our right tackle position was in flux, with our best options as Le'Raven Clark and Joe Haeg.  Braden Smith had the strength and leverage common to both right guard and right tackle.  So we tried him out there.  And so far, it's worked.  But just because Braden Smith can play right tackle doesn't mean he can play left tackle, where you need better feet, more athleticism, better quickness.

I think that Nelson would play better at left tackle than Smith would.  But I also think that you leave the aces in their places.  Put everyone where they play best.  And fill the holes as needed.

I’ve played all along an offensive line and started out at LG then RG then Center (by team necessity) before finishing out at RT (with a left handed QB) and had to play LT in an all-star game. 

the movements are similar but it is not not not a simple and easy transition. Just because you can kick-step or drop to the proper depth on one aside doesn’t mean it will be natural or even work when done inversely. 

it would be like someone saying “hey he can write with his right hand, just write with your left hand”. Or “hey you throw well with your right hand, just go throw with your left”. 

with a lot of reps and practice you’ll get better. Doesn’t mean it’s a smart fit. 

I will say that traits that tend to lend themselves to success:

- athleticism, namely good feet and great change of direction ability

- length- it can help overcome ever so slight nuances that are off a technique early on (though at the nfl level this is likely not true where being off an inch can make all the difference w elite players opposite you)

- anchor - can you easily bend at the hips and namely drop your hips and anchor against strength movements?

For me, the most difficult physical position to play was very close between LT and Center. And Center was by far the most mentally difficult. 

fwiw, I am of the camp that we don’t touch Q or Smith. They are playing elite or close to elite at their position. If a guy off the street like Veldheer can play LT solidly for us, we should be able to get by with an Ok LT if need be. They just can’t be a flop or a total turnstile. 

Holden was even decent there last year as well.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Playing a position on the offensive line is a combination of physical characteristics, athleticism, strength, and leverage, along with learned experience, and comfort with a position.  Not every player can play every position.  Just because a player is good at the position he plays doesn't mean he'll be just as good at a different position.  There are often different requirements, or his experience doing a different thing with a different technique makes him not as good at the new position.

Remember how we tried moving Jack Mewhort up and down the line, trying him at different positions?  He was our best lineman (when healthy).  So we tried him at right tackle, we tried him at right guard, we tried him at center.  We tried him at every other position where we had a weakness.  But he never was as good at those positions as he was at his own position, left guard.

Braden Smith played guard at Auburn.  And we drafted him to play right guard for us.  Thing is, Mark Glowinski was already doing a decent job there.  But our right tackle position was in flux, with our best options as Le'Raven Clark and Joe Haeg.  Braden Smith had the strength and leverage common to both right guard and right tackle.  So we tried him out there.  And so far, it's worked.  But just because Braden Smith can play right tackle doesn't mean he can play left tackle, where you need better feet, more athleticism, better quickness.

I think that Nelson would play better at left tackle than Smith would.  But I also think that you leave the aces in their places.  Put everyone where they play best.  And fill the holes as needed.

Thanks for this answer. This is exactly what I am trying to understand.

31 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I’ve played all along an offensive line and started out at LG then RG then Center (by team necessity) before finishing out at RT (with a left handed QB) and had to play LT in an all-star game. 

the movements are similar but it is not not not a simple and easy transition. Just because you can kick-step or drop to the proper depth on one aside doesn’t mean it will be natural or even work when done inversely. 

it would be like someone saying “hey he can write with his right hand, just write with your left hand”. Or “hey you throw well with your right hand, just go throw with your left”. 

with a lot of reps and practice you’ll get better. Doesn’t mean it’s a smart fit. 

- length- it can help overcome ever so slight nuances that are off a technique early on (though at the nfl level this is likely not true where being off an inch can make all the difference w elite players opposite you)

- anchor - can you easily bend at the hips and namely drop your hips and anchor against strength movements?

For me, the most difficult physical position to play was very close between LT and Center. And Center was by far the most mentally difficult. 

fwiw, I am of the camp that we don’t touch Q or Smith. They are playing elite or close to elite at their position. If a guy off the street like Veldheer can play LT solidly for us, we should be able to get by with an Ok LT if need be. They just can’t be a flop or a total turnstile. 

Absolutely! And we’ll said!

I will add that Q at LG makes it easier to play LT for the Colts. He demands attention and that can make it a much easier day at LT. 

33 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Thanks for this answer, it is exactly what I was trying to learn. Since you brought up Holden, I thought we were pretty decent with him there as well. Wondering if they would consider someone like him with a rookie behind him?

Just now, Hark said:

Thanks for this answer, it is exactly what I was trying to learn. Since you brought up Holden, I thought we were pretty decent with him there as well. Wondering if they would consider someone like him with a rookie behind him?

You're welcome.  Although I think @TomDiggs gave a better answer than I did, since he's actually played on the offensive line, and attempted to play all positions.  I'm just an armchair GM who likes to think he knows something about the game.  :) 

Just now, John Hammonds said:

You're welcome.  Although I think @TomDiggs gave a better answer than I did, since he's actually played on the offensive line, and attempted to play all positions.  I'm just an armchair GM who likes to think he knows something about the game.  :) 

You guys think the Colts will be just as good if not better this year?

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Why does everyone wanna play musical chairs with our line?

Draft a LT and/or FA and be done with it.  Why would we wanna mess with two or more positions to fix one?  I’m tired of the “guards and RTs are easier to find than LTs.”  We’re playing with fire moving guys around.

Theres PLENTY of time and resources to find a replacement. 

it because we have some holes to fill with starters getting old and leaving .  IF the colts can move pintor to guard and have nelson at tackle the colts can draft a corner and pass rusher in the first two rounds instead of a tackle and only one .  losing the third round pick hurt the overall draft plan .  IT was still 100 percent worth it though.

1 minute ago, Arodgers12 said:

depends on the young guys and wentz .  colts are losing two veteran pass rushers who could get close to ten sacks a year still .   Young guys were drafted to take over now instead of being back ups they have to be starters .   same with corner three young talented guys need to step up .  

3 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

Difficult to say at this point.  We were good enough last year to give the Bills a run for their money, and might have even beaten them with a little luck.  I think we've improved our QB situation, due to Wentz's stronger arm and athletic ability.  Let's just see if he can stay healthy.  We still have a LT situation to solve, and a pass rush situation to solve.  And it would be nice to see a measure of development with our WR corps.

So, yes, I think we have a chance to be just as good, and maybe a little better.  But it's not certain yet.

35 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I definitely do. When you think about the overall roster of this team, a huge percentage of the key contributors have been in the league less than 5 years. Many of them are only in their 2nd or 3rd year. I would expect that their improvement alone from year to year would make this team better. In addition to that, we really only have 1 player (Rhodes) and potentially two more (Hilton and Houston if we re-sign them), who are at an age where we might expect any decline from the prior year's performance. When you combine that with what I think will be a significant upgrade at QB, where I think Rivers did an amazing job last year, but Wentz just has more to work with, I don't see how we can do anything but get better.

As long as Ballard and co. don't completely blow it at LT and edge in the draft and remaining free agency (I don't think they will), this team should be significantly better in 2021.

5 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Someone is really going to have to write up a storm to do better than this!    Fir me, it’s the easy front runner for Best Post of the Day!   Wow, this is really good!

Not only would I recommend it to everyone, I’d even add to go back and re-read it again!   

Thanks so much for this, TG!      :worthy:

5 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Dang, Man. Awesome post

Archived