Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prepare yourself for a rookie LT

danlhart87

13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Titans have been one of the worst drafting teams the last few years so it doesn't surprise me what happened with Wilson.

Ballard has proven he is successful and i have faith he will be again!

I hope you are right man!

He hits on more than he misses, but..... he DOES miss sometimes....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bucky Brooks’ latest mock ...

“Pick 20 - Chicago Bears

Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech · OT · Junior

The Bears haven't drafted an offensive tackle above the fifth round since 2011. Darrisaw is a plug-and-play prospect with all-star potential.”

If Darrisaw is falling into range, I’d want the Colts to jump up to get him. 

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Bucky Brooks’ latest mock ...

“Pick 20 - Chicago Bears

Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech · OT · Junior

The Bears haven't drafted an offensive tackle above the fifth round since 2011. Darrisaw is a plug-and-play prospect with all-star potential.”

If Darrisaw is falling into range, I’d want the Colts to jump up to get him. 

Darrisaw is a stud as well...... my favoite OL that MIGHT be in range..

I think he doesnt get out of the teens...

I hope Ballard has a better plan than what we are seeing right now. LT is the most important position on the line and we just traded for a QB that lost his confidence in Philly because of their line and lack of quality receivers. So now we sign Tevi, one of worst rated tackles in the league and maybe draft a rookie LT that you have no idea what they will be like in the nfl. That is a BIG gamble with a QB that needs a good OL and good weapons as receivers.

5 hours ago, BigO said:

I hope Ballard has a better plan than what we are seeing right now. LT is the most important position on the line and we just traded for a QB that lost his confidence in Philly because of their line and lack of quality receivers. So now we sign Tevi, one of worst rated tackles in the league and maybe draft a rookie LT that you have no idea what they will be like in the nfl. That is a BIG gamble with a QB that needs a good OL and good weapons as receivers.

We have 3 guys on the line top of they position with glow being abv average , if we get rookie we can slide help his way if need be , 

I haven't really watched anybody at all this year outside of today.   1st person ive looked at so far is Teven Jenkins from Oklahoma State.  So far I like him.  He plays the position tough, almost like Nelson mentality wise but under control and with good technique.  Seems to be pretty strong and he's played both Left and Right tackle.  Wouldnt be surprised if he could play guard.   I think if we decided to move Braden over to left tackle I wouldn't be surprised if Jenkins could play the right tackle without much problem.  That's my early impression on him. 

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I wish we could sign Veldeer for one year.  Spot starter or swing tackle.  I would feel better drafting a rookie LT knowing he is on our roster. 

He seemed to do well last year

I wonder if he is available

12 hours ago, krunk said:

I haven't really watched anybody at all this year outside of today.   1st person ive looked at so far is Teven Jenkins from Oklahoma State.  So far I like him.  He plays the position tough, almost like Nelson mentality wise but under control and with good technique.  Seems to be pretty strong and he's played both Left and Right tackle.  Wouldnt be surprised if he could play guard.   I think if we decided to move Braden over to left tackle I wouldn't be surprised if Jenkins could play the right tackle without much problem.  That's my early impression on him. 

Teven Jenkins did really well with speed rushers and players that will be drafted in the first 3 rounds on the RT spot

Once he got his hands on them, they were stopped in their tracks

He plays just like Nelson in the run game and absolutely mauls people

If he is good enough in the pass game, and great in the run blocking piece, he would be good enough for me.

Will he be a great LT or even good LT?  Who knows. CB already has his names on the board....... Jenkins may be on it or not.

I think Cosmi might be a BPA, but I wouldnt be unhappy with Jenkins either

51 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Teven Jenkins did really well with speed rushers and players that will be drafted in the first 3 rounds on the RT spot

If he is good enough in the pass game, and great in the run blocking piece, he would be good enough for me.

Will he be a great LT or even good LT?  Who knows. CB already has his names on the board....... Jenkins may be on it or not.

I havent watched Cosmi but i know hes supposed to be really good as well. I will watch him too. Jenkins i think fits our scheme really well and the type of mentality we want. Im not sure that Darrisaw is better than Jenkins.

52 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Jenkins was like a concrete wall at times, very impressive. 

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

I havent watched Cosmi but i know hes supposed to be really good as well. I will watch him too. Jenkins i think fits our scheme really well and the type of mentality we want. Im not sure that Darrisaw is better than Jenkins.

Cosmi tested at an extremely high level, and supposedly CB is all about those metrics.

For me Darrisaw is a step above the other OTs, not named Penai

But.... I think there is a good chance that both Darrisaw and Cosmi (After the test) will be gone before 21

My order of preference is

1) Penai

2) Slater

3) Darrisaw

4) Cosmi

5) Jenkins

6) Eichinberg

If we get ONE of these 6 in the draft, I am a happy camper  :)

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Cosmi tested at an extremely high level, and supposedly CB is all about those metrics.

But.... I think there is a good chance that both Darrisaw and Cosmi (After the test) will be gone before 21

1) Penai

2) Slater

3) Darrisaw

4) Cosmi

5) Jenkins

6) Eichinberg

I like the above and also Radunz 

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

1) Penai

2) Slater

3) Darrisaw

4) Cosmi

5) Jenkins

6) Eichinberg

Oh and BTW there's no way we get Sewell 

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I like the above and also Radunz 

Oh and BTW there's no way we get Sewell 

I would agree on both

We wont get Slater either....

Radunz has a great senior bowl week, he would be at the end of my "wanted" list

Just now, danlhart87 said:

If he last to 54 and they take DE 21 im running to call his name 

Its a tough call

How much is the pick worth to CB?

My gut says that if Darrisaw isnt there at 21, CB trades the pick

The Jets have many picks, and they seem to like to trade with the Colts

Our 21st pick for Jets 34 and 66.(The math is close per value)

Potentially, after this trade (Or a trade with NO)

Mini Mock draft......

Pick 1 (34) Cosmi / Jenkins / Radunz 

Pick 2 Joe Tryon - DE Washington

Pick 3 Raschad Weaver - DE Pittsburgh

Pick 4 Tommy Tremble - TE - ND

I would be VERY happy with this draft

On 3/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, BigO said:

bad news for our qb, please dont start a rookie

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Rookie LT would be fine 

Yea I agree. Look at how many LT's start their rookie year, a bunch of them, or the very least slide over to it mid year due to injuries on their oline. Anthony Castonzo did it as well.

I think I'm also at the point where (except for a stronger preference towards getting an LT) I don't care what positions the Colts go for with their first 2 picks. I've said this in other threads, the Colts to me don't need that many holes to fill. Sure DE, CB, LT, WR, TE. And after that, depth. And if you tell me that if Ballard were to pick TE and CB with the first 2 and they would be automatic homeruns, I'm taking it. Because I don't see the Colts losing more players next year and we will have yet another draft (with compensatory picks) to build from a really solid roster.

3 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

Yea I agree. Look at how many LT's start their rookie year, a bunch of them, or the very least slide over to it mid year due to injuries on their oline. Anthony Castonzo did it as well.

I think I'm also at the point where (except for a stronger preference towards getting an LT) I don't care what positions the Colts go for with their first 2 picks. I've said this in other threads, the Colts to me don't need that many holes to fill. Sure DE, CB, LT, WR, TE. And after that, depth. And if you tell me that if Ballard were to pick TE and CB with the first 2 and they would be automatic homeruns, I'm taking it. Because I don't see the Colts losing more players next year and we will have yet another draft (with compensatory picks) to build from a really solid roster.

Its not like a rookie will be playing next to a bum. Hes got Q right beside him. Cosmi or Jenkins would kill it here!

On 3/24/2021 at 10:58 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Its a tough call

How much is the pick worth to CB?

My gut says that if Darrisaw isnt there at 21, CB trades the pick

The Jets have many picks, and they seem to like to trade with the Colts

Our 21st pick for Jets 34 and 66.(The math is close per value)

Potentially, after this trade (Or a trade with NO)

Mini Mock draft......

Pick 1 (34) Cosmi / Jenkins / Radunz 

Pick 2 Joe Tryon - DE Washington

Pick 3 Raschad Weaver - DE Pittsburgh

Pick 4 Tommy Tremble - TE - ND

I would be VERY happy with this draft

I like the way you think. I could see Ballard absolutely doing that trade with the Jets (the Jets would then have 3 picks in the first round to build around Darnold or the very least 2 1st round picks to build around Zach Wilson. I think the only thing I would change in your mock for me would be to get a corner there for the 54th pick, say Campbell, Stokes, Melifonwu

13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Rookie LT would be fine 

I hope that you are right, as this team needs an early LT to develop.

It seems that MOST of the LTs brought in as rookies struggle at first.

Thats why some teams move them to Guard first (We did this with Chris Hinton)

One of the main reasons we lost the Pittsburgh game is that we were getting clobbered from the LT spot, as AC went down

Maybe Tevi is the answer as the main backup

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=30303

He only gave up 1 sack last year, according to this at RT

A LITTLE part of me is wondering if they are planning on moving Smith to LT and plugging in Tevi at RT to start the season

(I would rather them keep the 4 in their original spots)

CB has seemed to shut down the LG to LT dialog, but hasn't really ruled out a move of Smith to LT.

It of course doesnt mean it will happen (I hope it doesnt)

They are clearly keeping the options open

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope that you are right, as this team needs an early LT to develop.

It seems that MOST of the LTs brought in as rookies struggle at first.

Thats why some teams move them to Guard first (We did this with Chris Hinton)

One of the main reasons we lost the Pittsburgh game is that we were getting clobbered from the LT spot, as AC went down

Maybe Tevi is the answer as the main backup

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=30303

He only gave up 1 sack last year, according to this at RT

A LITTLE part of me is wondering if they are planning on moving Smith to LT and plugging in Tevi at RT to start the season

(I would rather them keep the 4 in their original spots)

CB has seemed to shut down the LG to LT dialog, but hasn't really ruled out a move of Smith to LT.

It of course doesnt mean it will happen (I hope it doesnt)

They are clearly keeping the options open

I think there is a difference between 

A) drafting a LT, and starting him early on an average or bad OL

B) drafting a LT, and starting him alongside 3 other pro-bowl guys, and probably the best LG in the league.

FWIW according to PFF they rank the Tackle class as:

1) Penei

2) Slater

3) Darrisaw

4) Jenkins

5) Radunz

6) Little

7) Cosmi

8) Carman

9) Leatherwood

10) Eichenberg

They think Little could be the steal of the tackle class.  Lack of current film has resulted in him being further down the list. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think there is a difference between 

A) drafting a LT, and starting him early on an average or bad OL

B) drafting a LT, and starting him alongside 3 other pro-bowl guys, and probably the best LG in the league.

This is true, but its still a risk I wish they'd avoid. Sign a decent vet for a year and let the rookie learn. Best of both worlds. 

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

This is true, but its still a risk I wish they'd avoid. Sign a decent vet for a year and let the rookie learn. Best of both worlds. 

Everything is a risk.

I'm fine with signing a vet like Vil or Okung, and drafting a 2nd round guy. 

BYU OT Brady Christensen followed up a great season with a terrific pro day.  Saw some tweets that NFL teams are much higher on him than media/fans.  10-4 broad for Brady Christensen is the best measurement of all-time for an O-linemen by 3 inches per the mockdraftable website.  Lowest QB pressure % allowed by an OT since 2014: Brady Christensen, 2020 - 0.8%

Only FBS OL with 90+ pass and run blocking grades: Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech & Brady Christensen, BYU

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

1) Penei

2) Slater

3) Darrisaw

4) Jenkins

5) Radunz

6) Little

7) Cosmi

8) Carman

9) Leatherwood

10) Eichenberg

They think Little could be the steal of the tackle class.  Lack of current film has resulted in him being further down the list. 

Point of clarification...   this may be their ranking, but I don’t think this means that all of them are candidates to be a Left Tackle.  A right tackle could still have a very high ranking even if they’re not a left tackle.  

As far as Little is concerned...   agreed.   A complete wild card.   I suspect there will be more differences of opinion on him than perhaps any other tackle.   Very few have his physical and mental gifts.   But his injury history and not playing for nearly the last two years will hurt him badly with some teams.   I think he’s a Day 2 kid, but nothing would surprise me. 

2 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

BYU OT Brady Christensen followed up a great season with a terrific pro day.  Saw some tweets that NFL teams are much higher on him than media/fans.  10-4 broad for Brady Christensen is the best measurement of all-time for an O-linemen by 3 inches per the mockdraftable website.  Lowest QB pressure % allowed by an OT since 2014: Brady Christensen, 2020 - 0.8%

Only FBS OL with 90+ pass and run blocking grades: Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech & Brady Christensen, BYU

For some strange reason most websites show him as a Day 3 kid.   That never made sense to me.   Not that I was expecting this, I wasn’t,  but wow, this is clearly eye popping!

:woah:

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

1) Penei

2) Slater

3) Darrisaw

4) Jenkins

5) Radunz

6) Little

7) Cosmi

8) Carman

9) Leatherwood

10) Eichenberg

I think Eichenberg could be a true steal at OT if he is truly rated that way. Ballard could snag him in the 3rd and have his solid NFL ready LT. Then you can focus on DE, CB, and WR with the earlier picks. 

Give me Liam in the 3rd over Cosmi or Jenkins in the 1st any day. 

Archived