Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prepare yourself for a rookie LT

danlhart87

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Only tweet I've seen is a visit and that is an hour ago.  

twitter is not the most reliable information i saw he will be signed .  well see if hope its true . colts are super good at keeping things quiet without kenny moore tweeting out rhodes was sign days before we would of just found out .

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

twitter is not the most reliable information i saw he will be signed .  well see if hope its true . colts are super good at keeping things quiet without kenny moore tweeting out rhodes was sign days before we would of just found out .

True, That's why it's best to wait for the actual confirmation. There is a big difference between is signed versus will be signed.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Only tweet I've seen is a visit and that is an hour ago.  

it has to be daven port he is the only tackle that visited the colts and colts have signed a tackle just waiting on the physical to confirm .   some guys on twitter are saying its daven port  . well see

It may be more probable like theyve mentioned to move Braden over to LT next to Nelson and then draft a RT. One that can play G and T just like Braden.

If the other scenario happens where Nelson moves to LT then i assume we take a very good guard high.

I can see them moving Braden to the left if need be. Shouldnt be too hard to find a good RT. I think what they do depends ob how the dice roll in the draft

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

It may be more probable like theyve mentioned to move Braden over to LT next to Nelson and then draft a RT. One that can play G and T just like Braden.

If the other scenario happens where Nelson moves to LT then i assume we take a very good guard high.

I can see them moving Braden to the left if need be. Shouldnt be too hard to find a good RT. I think what they do depends ob how the dice roll in the draft

Sounds like Vera-Tucker but he might be gone by 21

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Why not leave Smith at RT, move Q out to LT and get an OG. Lot easier to find a decent G than T in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Why not leave Smith at RT, move Q out to LT and get an OG. Lot easier to find a decent G than T in my opinion.

It doesn’t sound like that’s what the Colts want to do at least that’s what someone was saying yesterday here.  So if that’s true that’s why not.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It doesn’t sound like that’s what the Colts want to do at least that’s what someone was saying yesterday here.  So if that’s true that’s why not.

I guess I missed it. Are the Colts talking of moving Smith to the left side?

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It makes no sense to me to move Smith or Q. Both are excellent where they are no sense in changing that.

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

I guess I missed it. Are the Colts talking of moving Smith to the left side?

I sure hope not.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Im speaking on the scenarios the Colts have openly discussed.  Not necessarily that I want it to play out like that.

If you think about it, assignment wise, it is easier for a rookie LT to contribute than a rookie LG except for the aspect of stunts where the communication between the LG and LT is very important (but stunts rarely loop around the LT because that takes a lot of time defeating the purpose of stunts). Most of the time, the rookie LT deals with a late/DB edge blitzer or a singular edge rusher on that left side. The LG however has more responsibilities because they deal with a shorter path to the QB and more blitzes and quick stunts, plus the interior DL at the NFL level are stronger, that is why what Q has done is amazing since he has been drafted, not the kind of results you expect in a rookie LG at all typically. We just are spoiled taking for granted what Q has done.

Strength wise, bull rush and different moves of NFL pass rushers, only time will teach a rookie LT. If there are no injuries or hold outs, and the rookie LT learns fast with good mentors on the OL, which we have, I see no reason that he won't be NFL ready by the time half the season is done, that would be the glass half full approach :). Here is to hoping for the best. :thmup:

On 3/20/2021 at 11:43 PM, stitches said:

Entering the draft with a glaring need/hole at LT is a disaster. Teams will abuse you and push you around in the draft knowing exactly what u need. I would love a LT from the draft, I just wish we got a reasonable starter before so this can open up our draft for all possibilities...

The weird thing is... Our "saving grace" might actually be the fact that it's not just LT that we have a glaring need at. EDGE is arguably even a more serious need right now.

Still time to address both but the options are fewer and fewer every day.

It's a good thing that this is a really solid draft class for OTs.  Teams might try to make a trade lopsided, but knowing another team's needs isn't much of an advantage when you're drafting the best players as opposed to drafting for team need.  Teams jump you which is something that always happens every draft.  But it also happens that teams maximize their draft trade values and may call the Colts to see if they can offer adequate compensation iwthout having to move down as far as the team trying to jump you.  And if you draft well, you can find a starter at a position of need anywhere in the draft.  Add to that, teams can offer you shotty trades in their favor, but they're competing against other bids for the same pick if they're wanting to trade up/down for our pick.   

I'm not really concerned that we do'nt have plans for a starting LT at this very moment in time.  I'll be concerned when we draft one that doesn't pan out.  

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Why not 

I trust Ballard building the OL

I'm confident he can find someone at LT

I am hoping for Samuel Cosmi 

I'm  hoping our 1st rounder is spent on a more IMPACTFUL POSITION. 

He should be able to successfully address the position with lesser resources. 

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm  hoping our 1st rounder is spent on a more IMPACTFUL POSITION. 

He should be able to successfully address the position with lesser resources. 

I don't like Okung or Villanueva if that's who you are thinking 

I'm thinking Colts bring back Hilton and ride the storm until next year.

I expect big things from Pittman Jr

31 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I don't like Okung or Villanueva if that's who you are thinking 

I'm thinking Colts bring back Hilton and ride the storm until next year.

I expect big things from Pittman Jr

Even the best Rookie OTs usually take a year to develop

Do we lose our shiny new QB for the year, because the promising rookie misses a block in game 1?

I would like a one year deal for one of the remaining FA OTs, even if they arent the most popular choice

It shouldnt cost that much for the "insurance blanket"

It also helps to give us much needed depth if there are injuries.....

49 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Do we lose our shiny new QB for the year, because the promising rookie misses a block in game 1?

I would like a one year deal for one of the remaining FA OTs, even if they arent the most popular choice

I completely agree. 

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Normally I would agree but next to Q a rookie LT will be fine.

I Believe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Lt at 21 wr of er in the 2nd

What do you guys think of Taven Jenkins? Can he play LT? I've been watching some of the OTs in the draft last several days and I like his tape better than anyone not named Sewell or Slater. I think he's a better player than Darrisaw who doesn't finish and looks lackadaisical way too often for my liking... But I'm not 100% sure he can transition to LT. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

What do you guys think of Taven Jenkins? Can he play LT? I've been watching some of the OTs in the draft last several days and I like his tape better than anyone not named Sewell or Slater. I think he's a better player than Darrisaw who doesn't finish and looks lackadaisical way too often for my liking... But I'm not 100% sure he can transition to LT. :dunno:

My biggest issue with him like you said is I don't believe he would step in immediately at LT. Hes very good though!

23 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Yes!

15 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Oh ye of little faith 

Oh ye of blind faith

18 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Normally I would agree but next to Q a rookie LT will be fine.

I Believe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Ultimately you may be right, but....

Look at it this way, 

Profile on Isaiah Wilson

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-wilson/32005749-4c71-4939-e3b2-8f55cd243586

The guy SHOULD be a great pickup... but is now not on a team

If we put 100% of our trust in an unproven rookie, we could be dooming the season, and getting our QB hurt at worse.

The cant miss OTs many times .... MISS

We really cant miss at LT and have a decent season.  Its probably worth $7-9 M to have an insurance policy on such an important position.

The other significant value is the depth. 

The odds are very high that one or both of the OTs will miss playing time this year

KC was dominated in the SB at least in part, because they had subpar OL depth

Not sure if the FA we just signed is this guy or not, but there is some value there in depth by iteslf

IMHO..... we HAVE to have even an average LT vet to play next year.

Best case... no injuries, and our vet is sitting on the bench waiting to come in because our new rookie LT is playing so well

Our new QB is protected

Worst case.... the vet holds the LT spot

Our new QB is protected

18 hours ago, stitches said:

Jenkins is a stud that would fit the lines mentality

He did have a SINGLE rep last year that Perkins the DE from OK made him look foolish.

(I think Perkins would be a nice pickup as well)

Jenkins DOMINATED some decent DEs that will be drafted in rounds 1-3. (Watch the UT game)

He dominated the speed guys as well, though he might be susceptable to a counter move inside

Once he gets his hands engaged the rep is over with

In runs, he pushed them 5-6 yards off the line of scrimmage

I would be very happy if we picked him......

He should still be there at 21, if we didnt trade out (Which I think CB will end up doing)

22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ultimately you may be right, but....

Look at it this way, 

Profile on Isaiah Wilson

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-wilson/32005749-4c71-4939-e3b2-8f55cd243586

The guy SHOULD be a great pickup... but is now not on a team

If we put 100% of our trust in an unproven rookie, we could be dooming the season, and getting our QB hurt at worse.

The cant miss OTs many times .... MISS

We really cant miss at LT and have a decent season.  Its probably worth $7-9 M to have an insurance policy on such an important position.

The other significant value is the depth. 

The odds are very high that one or both of the OTs will miss playing time this year

KC was dominated in the SB at least in part, because they had subpar OL depth

Not sure if the FA we just signed is this guy or not, but there is some value there in depth by iteslf

IMHO..... we HAVE to have even an average LT vet to play next year.

Best case... no injuries, and our vet is sitting on the bench waiting to come in because our new rookie LT is playing so well

Our new QB is protected

Worst case.... the vet holds the LT spot

Our new QB is protected

Titans have been one of the worst drafting teams the last few years so it doesn't surprise me what happened with Wilson.

Ballard has proven he is successful and i have faith he will be again!

Archived