Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prepare yourself for a rookie LT

danlhart87

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CR91 said:

Either the colts shuffle the line like say Nelson Pinter Kelly Glow Smith, LT will be the go to pick which is very un-ballard since his draft style is to go BPA, but I don't think he can do that this draft.

Nelson isn't playing LT

Keep Pinter as IOL depth 

My prediction are

LT Cosmi/Eichenberg/Radunz either or

LG Nelson 

OC Kelly

RG Glow

RT Smith

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Nelson isn't playing LT

Keep Pinter as IOL depth 

My prediction are

LT Cosmi/Eichenberg/Radunz either or

LG Nelson 

OC Kelly

RG Glow

RT Smith

Most likely that will happen, I'm just saying that puts Ballard in a very predictable situation.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Either the colts shuffle the line like say Nelson Pinter Kelly Glow Smith, LT will be the go to pick which is very un-ballard since his draft style is to go BPA, but I don't think he can do that this draft.

LT may be BPA in this draft, especially if QB's and skill players cause highly rated LT's to fall...

not out of the realm of possibility!

1 minute ago, jmac_48 said:

LT may be BPA in this draft, especially if QB's and skill players cause highly rated LT's to fall...

not out of the realm of possibility!

OT class is fairly good

I'm kinda hoping Colts trade down and get 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

I'd rather see Nelson at left tackle and have a rookie at guard.

Courteney Cox No GIF by Friends

21 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Chances are high Colts pick OT at 21 and 54

Do you guys have any preferences

I think they get one at 21.  You can get a good starting LTs in the back half of round one (AC is a prime example).  It’s rare for a first round grade end to last that long and I think the Colts are going with one of those in round one.  I honestly get the feeling Ballard is going to go tackle early and count on Banogu and Turrey to step up this year like he talked about in his end of season press conference.  If they fail to do so I expect him to be on the look out for an end next year.  It’s not impossible that they re-sign Houston for another year or two to help at end either.  

Anyway that’s just my feeling and I could be wrong.  I will say if a first round end grade end falls to 21 you have to think really hard about taking him just because that’s rare but they need a left tackle bad.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think they get one at 21.  You can get a good starting LTs in the back half of round one (AC is a prime example).  It’s rare for a first round grade end to last that long and I think the Colts are going with one of those in round one.  I honestly get the feeling Ballard is going to go tackle early and count on Banogu and Turrey to step up this year like he talked about in his end of season press conference.  If they fail to do so I expect him to be on the look out for an end next year.  It’s not impossible that they re-sign Houston for another year or two to help at end either.  

Anyway that’s just my feeling and I could be wrong.  I will say if a first round end grade end falls to 21 you have to think really hard about taking him just because that’s rare but they need a left tackle bad.

Hope Houston returns 

I'm thinking if no trades happen 

DE at 21 if Paye is there OT at 54

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

There are a good number of talented rookie OTs in this draft so Ballard and his scouting department should be able to find a starter at LT within the first 3 rounds. He also needs to get depth there in case of injury to either starting OT. 

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

There are a good number of talented rookie OTs in this draft so Ballard and his scouting department should be able to find a starter at LT within the first 3 rounds. He also needs to get depth there in case of injury to either starting OT. 

There is the mystery back up tackle they have signed so that should help some.  Still I wouldn’t mind if Ballard drafted two tackles.  

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Hope Houston returns 

I'm thinking if no trades happen 

DE at 21 if Paye is there OT at 54

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Not out of the question.  There is an outside chance he goes TE round one or two (more likely round two) but I expect the first two picks to be LT and end in some order.  I think it will be LT and then end but I am not going to lose my mind if he goes end and then tackle.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not out of the question.  There is an outside chance he goes TE round one or two (more likely round two) but I expect the first two picks to be LT and end in some order.  I think it will be LT and then end but I am not going to lose my mind if he goes end and then tackle.  

If Brevin Jordan is there at 54 I wouldn't mind him

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Well maybe not all lol

schitts creek no GIF by CBC

Entering the draft with a glaring need/hole at LT is a disaster. Teams will abuse you and push you around in the draft knowing exactly what u need. I would love a LT from the draft, I just wish we got a reasonable starter before so this can open up our draft for all possibilities...

The weird thing is... Our "saving grace" might actually be the fact that it's not just LT that we have a glaring need at. EDGE is arguably even a more serious need right now.

Still time to address both but the options are fewer and fewer every day.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Entering the draft with a glaring need/hole at LT is a disaster. Teams will abuse you and push you around in the draft knowing exactly what u need. I would love a LT from the draft, I just wish we got a reasonable starter before so this can open up our draft for all possibilities...

The weird thing is... Our "saving grace" might actually be the fact that it's not just LT that we have a glaring need at. EDGE is arguably even a more serious need right now.

Thats why I'm hoping Paye falls to 21. I'm not a fan of the other top EDGE guys in 1st.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Still time to address both but the options are fewer and fewer every day.

Teams will do that if it fits their need.  They aren’t going to draft LTs just to keep the Colts from doing it.  However yes there is a risk of a team jumping a head of the Colts if they think the Colts are going to take a tackle but that’s the draft.  It’s no different than going to get Taylor last year because they thought a team would take him before they picked.  The good news is that there should be multiple left tackles there when the Colts pick at 21 and maybe some ends.  I am sure the Colts will have a preferred guy but if he’s not there they should be able to address one of those two spots.  

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Thats why I'm hoping Paye falls to 21. I'm not a fan of the other top EDGE guys in 1st.

So if you take Paye at 21, what do you do at LT? LTs fly off the board quick. What if all options are gone by the 50s(pretty likely)

I’ve thought we would go LT in the first round for a while. However, Ballard is not boxed in. We also have Will Holden on the team, and Ballard is really high on him. 

More than likely, if a legit LT is there at #21 then we will take him. Keep in mind that Ballard could have a backup plan in the second round, if DE (or someone else) he covets is at #21 though. 

I just don’t want people to forget that Holden can play some ball. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I’ve thought we would go LT in the first round for a while. However, Ballard is not boxed in. We also have Will Holden on the team, and Ballard is really high on him. 

More than likely, if a legit LT is there at #21 then we will take him. Keep in mind that Ballard could have a backup plan in the second round, if DE (or someone else) he covets is at #21 though. 

I just don’t want people to forget that Holden can play some ball. 

Holden will most likely be the backup 

So if you take Paye at 21, what do you do at LT? LTs fly off the board quick. What if all options are gone by the 50s(pretty likely)

This draft is thought to be very deep at tackle some thinking you can get a quality tackle into round 3 this year.  Still I think they go left tackle at 21.  This just reminds me of the AC draft. Everything the Colts do starts with the oline so I expect them to invest the first round pick in a LT unless they just have an end who they feel is just too good not to take.  If that happens Ballard might have to move up again like last year to get who he needs.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Teams will do that if it fits their need.  They aren’t going to draft LTs just to keep the Colts from doing it.  However yes there is a risk of a team jumping a head of the Colts if they think the Colts are going to take a tackle but that’s the draft.  It’s no different than going to get Taylor last year because they thought a team would take him before they picked.  The good news is that there should be multiple left tackles there when the Colts pick at 21 and maybe some ends.  I am sure the Colts will have a preferred guy but if he’s not there they should be able to address one of those two spots.  

Teams will jump you, or teams will hold you for king's ransom if you are trying to trade up to get your preferred one. True there might be multiple LTs left but that's not a guarantee that the ones that we like and fit our system will be there. There's no guarantee that all or even most of the prospects that the broad community considers LT, would be on Ballard's LT board.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

This draft is thought to be very deep at tackle some thinking you can get a quality tackle into round 3 this year.  Still I think they go left tackle at 21.  This just reminds me of the AC draft. Everything the Colts do starts with the oline so I expect them to invest the first round pick in a LT unless they just have an end who they feel is just too good not to take.  If that happens Ballard might have to move up again like last year to get who he needs.  

Most logical option at 21 OT wise is Cosmi 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

That’s very possible. However we cannot overlook that the Colts front office might see him as a starter. 

There's no way he's starter material 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

IMO this is a pipe dream. OTs and especially LTs don't last to the 50s. Usually by that time you are left with developmental projects that you cannot rely on to start year 1... Or ever.

So yeah... You probably will need to jump again... And lose even more draft capital than we've lost already.

Just now, stitches said:

Teams will jump you, or teams will hold you for king's ransom if you are trying to trade up to get your preferred one. True there might be multiple LTs left but that's not a guarantee that the ones that we like and fit our system will be there. There's no guarantee that all or even most of the prospects that the broad community considers LT, would be on Ballard's LT board.

If a team needs a LT they will jump you that’s the key.  Teams aren’t going to do it just to keep the Colts from getting a LT.  There were examples of this the year they got AC yet the Colts just held their pick and still landed AC.  Trust me Ballard will have a plan and will work it.  

IMO this is a pipe dream. OTs and especially LTs don't last to the 50s. Usually by that time you are left with developmental projects that you cannot rely on to start year 1... Or ever.

I don’t expect one to last to the 50s I expect them to take one in the first round I’ve said that multiple times.  

That depends how the draft is going. Honestly if someone is good enough like Darrisaw or Cosmi at 21 just take him.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Most logical option at 21 OT wise is Cosmi 

How would you know that? We don’t know the Colts draft board. Did anyone see them drafting Braden Smith? Most boards had him as a 3rd or 4th round guard. We took him in the 2nd and were surprised when he played so well at RT. 

The Colts could have any of the top 10 tackles ranked in a totally different order than any board out there. And they probably do. 

It’s not even out of the question that Darrisaw falls to us. Jenkins could be the target. It could be Eichenberg, Cosmi, Radunz, or anyone. 

Archived