Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Isaiah Wilson the worst first-round pick of all time?

Picked first by the Titans in 2020, traded to the Dolphins after doing nothing but get in trouble all year. The Dolphins swap 7th round picks to get him, now 4 days after it's official the Phins release him because he showed up late and not at all. Dude is a bust in more ways than one..

Since he was late first round, probably not #1 on the list, but he certainly has to be up there. Whether he is ever able to play in the NFL or not, I hope someone is able to get into this kid's ear that he will listen to that can help him. Clearly some maturity, substance and/or mental health issues that need to be addressed.

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Picked first by the Titans in 2020, traded to the Dolphins after doing nothing but get in trouble all year. The Dolphins swap 7th round picks to get him, now 4 days after it's official the Phins release him because he showed up late and not at all. Dude is a bust in more ways than one..

Ryan Leaf holds that title still

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Ryan Leaf holds that title still

There were a lot of high first round busts, Johnny Football, Akili Smith, Ect.. But this kid came in, got suspended right away, never put in any effort, got traded for table scraps then was cut 4 days later. He still had the rest of the first round money coming if he just tried a little..

Idk how you could bust harder than playing a total of 3 snaps for no physical or performance related reason. Any player that you think didn't perform well for their draft position can't hold a candle to a guy who never attempted to perform at all.

It’s a pretty sad situation.   To do all that was necessary to hit the lottery win of being a 1st rounder ... and then blow it all up.  Mind boggling.   I mean, just show up and put in the work and you’re most likely getting in 4 years with a 2nd contract flier.   To flame out in just a year, well like I said, sadly mind boggling.

The thing that gets me is, he's from a poor home, he had millions waiting for him if he would just suit up and make an effort. Even if he flames out, and many 1st rounders do. He could have millions in the bank and a life long pension. MANY 1st rounders bust, MANY don't see the field or barely see the field. But they show up for a freaking paycheck..

As the 29th overall selection in 2020, Isaiah Wilson signed a four-year contract. The total value of Wilson’s contract is $11.6 million. Of that money, $11.2 million is fully guaranteed. Wilson received a signing bonus of just under $6 million.

You have to wonder if he's going to get this money or not. But since he was traded and not cut for reason, you'd have to think he will..

5 hours ago, ColtJax said:

The thing that gets me is, he's from a poor home, he had millions waiting for him if he would just suit up and make an effort. Even if he flames out, and many 1st rounders do. He could have millions in the bank and a life long pension. MANY 1st rounders bust, MANY don't see the field or barely see the field. But they show up for a freaking paycheck..

You have to wonder if he's going to get this money or not. But since he was traded and not cut for reason, you'd have to think he will..

He won't be getting the guaranteed money now. Miami voided the guarantees in his deal because of his suspension last year with the Titans. The kid is a fool who squandered the opportunity of a lifetime. I hope he is able to turn things around but it doesn't look good.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31099853/miami-dolphins-waive-newly-acquired-ot-isaiah-wilson

On 3/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, John Hammonds said:

Tony Mandarich.  Ugh.

He came back later in his career (after a 3-4 year hiatus) and had a few solid seasons for the Colts at RG if I am not correct. BUT, compared to the Sports Illustrated cover and draft position, he was a bust.

Archived