Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts lose starting lb Anthony Walker

bluephantom87

6 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agree.  But at $12-$15M with injury history is risky.  The “Funchess curse.”

I try not to “B” and moan at whatever happens.    I like to wait and see the roster at camp.

You gotta try to go for it...The window is only open so long..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

You'd think dude won a Super Bowl or more than a wildcard playoff game in 5 years...

Curious.

You think we should move on from Ballard?

The no super bowl or playoff in 5 years angle is a little generic and omits alot of details.  I realize its a bottom line, but just curious where you stand with Ballard.

is his “cheapness” in FA your only complaint?

10 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Curious.

You think we should move on from Ballard?

The no super bowl or playoff in 5 years angle is a little generic and omits alot of details.  I realize its a bottom line, but just curious where you stand with Ballard.

is his “cheapness” in FA your only complaint?

No Ballard is good...Look, Paris Campbell, Turay, and Hooker have all flashed special traits,  and if they could stay healthy we may be having a different conversation..Ballard is solid, my only knock is a move here or there can put us in the conversation and he just plays it too safe..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

No Ballard is good...Look, Paris Campbell, Turay, and Hooker have all flashed special traits,  and if they could stay healthy we may be having a different conversation..Ballard is solid, my only knock is a move here or there can put us in the conversation and he just plays it too safe..

Especially this year, i feel like if he can being in a couple difference makers it could be all that we would need..

29 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I feel ya.  I was hoping for more as well... mainly our own, which i think he’s workin on.  I see it a little less as “safe”, and more as “calculating.”

all about perspective.  Ha

Its funny.  For decades Belichek was heralded as a genius the way he took non-stars and won championships.

He loses a QB and goes 7-9, and everyone bashed that he needs better talent.  
Then he goes hog-wild on flashy “big name”. FAs (180 degree flip from his norm) and he’s hit a home run in FA and is back in the saddle apparently.  I thought some of NEs “2nd tier” FAs were actually much better value than the top guys.  They got some nice DL help i think.

5 hours ago, coming on strong said:

reggie wayne said he left millions on the table to stay with the colts because he loves the colts .   its not just about relocating but staying with the team they been playing on since coming into the league . its home for some players and a family .  You are acting like players do not take pay cuts to stay with the team that drafted them .

apples and oranges. Reggie took a pay cut late in a career that he was paid handsomely and won a championship/put up hall of fame numbers. Walker was a 5th round draft pick on a rookie contract. He wanted to maximize his money and his potential for more earnings going forward. That was obviously not here. 

47 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Ballard is solid, my only knock is a move here or there can put us in the conversation and he just plays it too safe..

can put us in the conversation of the media talking heads or actually in the conversation? Because I’ve gone back and looked at the play of the individuals fans/media pound the table for Ballard to sign every free agency, and it’s been less than impressive. Actually, it’s been garbage considering the contracts they signed elsewhere. I’ll take Ballard’s methodical approach to free agency, and his continuing to focus on the draft and develop the players in house/retain the guys that need to stay here. 

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

can put us in the conversation of the media talking heads or actually in the conversation? Because I’ve gone back and looked at the play of the individuals fans/media pound the table for Ballard to sign every free agency, and it’s been less than impressive. Actually, it’s been garbage considering the contracts they signed elsewhere. I’ll take Ballard’s methodical approach to free agency, and his continuing to focus on the draft and develop the players in house/retain the guys that need to stay here. 

GMs have a tough job. There's always a balance in FA and draft. IMO he get's too much credit in the draft, but he did do very well in 2018., 

It's tougher to improve a roster that doesn't suck, which is what he did early. Can he continue to improve a good roster, is the question.

Now we need to find a way to replace good guys. Not easy. He can turn into the guy that flipped things for the better, or regress into a mediocre GM that is conservative this year. 

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Especially this year, i feel like if he can being in a couple difference makers it could be all that we would need..

I agree.

A playmaking WR & TE and our offense would be good to go. If we can't get a good LT, we can slide Nelson there, at least temporarily, and should be able to get a  adequate LG. 

A healthy Mack really elevates our group of RB's and gives us quality depth. 

Walker was a sure tackler, but only a decent player overall. And he was coming off a down season...where in addition to pass coverage issues...he was also getting beat in the running game...and clearly doesn’t have the make-up speed to counter when that happens.

I never really expected Ballard would re-sign him because he wasn’t a good fit for this defense (wasn’t even drafted for this defense either).

The real problem is not so much losing Walker. It’s that his replacement also had a down season...and is still very much a work in progress. This will be a big season for Oke. He has to show that he can be the guy...or MLB likely becomes a priority next offseason. 

26 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Walker was a sure tackler, but only a decent player overall. And he was coming off a down season...where in addition to pass coverage issues...he was also getting beat in the running game...and clearly doesn’t have the make-up speed to counter when that happens.

I never really expected Ballard would re-sign him because he wasn’t a good fit for this defense (wasn’t even drafted for this defense either).

The real problem is not so much losing Walker. It’s that his replacement also had a down season...and is still very much a work in progress. This will be a big season for Oke. He has to show that he can be the guy...or MLB likely becomes a priority next offseason. 

I thought Walker had a good season not great I didn’t expect him to be signed I’m not a big fan of Oke. You can see the skills possibly he’ll use in this year!? 

I am more excited about Speed, Adams or Franklin! I’m a firm believer that your middle linebacker should be a tone setter, ie A big hitter my hope is they give Adams who is a big hitter a long look at the job!

6 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

This is how I feel this year. There is a middle ground between 'Ballard is a God and can do no wrong' and 'Ballard out'. Thankfully, there don't seem to be too many in the latter camp, but there are a number in the former camp who think any criticism whatsoever is unwarranted. Ballard is quick to criticise himself. He'd be the first to admit that he's not perfect.

I feel like there were one or two moves that could have been made this off-season that would have been huge for the team. I heard somewhere that Ballard was in on Trent Williams buy got outbid, which is fair enough. Carl Lawson was the other guy that I would have been happy to pay but I don't know whether Ballard was interested there. I wouldn't want to overpay for Golladay but I'd like him on a fair contract.

I understand that there are a number of big extensions coming up, but we have a ton of cap space and will have even more when the cap goes back up. We could absolutely afford to give a guy $15-20m this year and still be able to keep our own guys.

September is a long way away, but if Williams or Lawson were on the team at this point, I'd feel fantastic about the off-season so far. As it is, we still have four of the most important five holes to fill, and the chances of getting an above average player at any of them aren't great.

13 hours ago, coming on strong said:

he was a good run stopper and leader but terrible in pass coverage .   colts usually only play two linebackers and use moore or come out in 3 safeties .   Ej speed is more athletic and can be better in passing coverage with him darius and bobby i still think colts are fine .  

Yes so many times I saw him get beat liked him time to move on 

12 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

What’s that make the Colts now if they are only as good as their weakest link. Plenty of weak links on the DL and only 2 starting caliber LB’s.

I understand Ballard pretty much stated in his press conference that Walker was leaving but Colts losing a lot of talent and adding..... really nothing.

Could be because we arent quite clear on these guys replacements yet. Plenty of FA left and the draft. After all that, if we didnt improve, thats when ill worry at least.

What was it, 1 year 3.5 mil? For a decent LB and a great leader? Honestly kind of disappointed in Ballard for not resigning him. I would think he would’ve stayed if we had offered the same, this makes me think we didn’t offer him anything. Really not a good FA so far imo

32 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

What was it, 1 year 3.5 mil? For a decent LB and a great leader? Honestly kind of disappointed in Ballard for not resigning him. I would think he would’ve stayed if we had offered the same, this makes me think we didn’t offer him anything. Really not a good FA so far imo

He couldn't cover enough ground for our defensive scheme. If he could he would have gotten paid multi-year by us at a considerably higher amount. End of story.
Next man up.

11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Luck quit on us costing a mostly Wasted $30M on Brissett.
  With Luck here now and that $$$ we would be so close that Ballard would have splurged on a few top talents to put us right there. He has said so much in the past.

Unfortunately, we are beginning another QB reset with those looming Huge 2nd contracts for his excellent draft picks. His CAP guy is telling him what he can spend on FA now.

I skimmed the first half of page 1 on this thread and many have already provided the thoughts I too have about Walker. 

We rarely have 3 linebackers on the field, as we predominantly play our MIKE and WILL. Walker didn’t have good year. PFF scoring  showed exactly what the eye ball test did. Walker was at best, splitting playing time. In Cleveland he’ll get a chance to be a full time starter.

I didn’t expected us to keep Walker, and I think he is joining a Cleveland team that might fit his skill set better. 

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

If a LT isn’t there in the draft and zaven Collins is I wouldn’t hate that pick. He’d fill in nicely from what I read 

Isn't Zaven Collins a 3-4 inside linebacker? I don't see any way Ballard picks a linebacker higher than round 4 this year. 

4 hours ago, Myles said:

This was a concerning loss for me.   It's the first time I question Ballard.   

This is an interesting take. I liked Walker a lot but I think the way this played out makes a lot of sense, other than the fact that I thought he'd get a lot more money.

Why does it make you question Ballard exactly?

He is a good depth player, better locker room guy, end of the day I’d rather see Leonard and Bobby on the field and he isn’t something we can’t replace, also he probably wanted to start which he wasn’t going to for us, hope he does well for the Browns

I think EJ Speed could be a good fit there, or we could find somebody in the draft.  Somebody a bit more athletic than Ant with the same tacklilng ability.  Or we could bring in a veteran.  Maybe somebody like KJ Wright, but I know he mostly plays on the outside if I'm not mistaken.  I think he could do either thing. 

5 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Not really I knew he wasn't  coming back. The only thing that annoys me  so far is autry signing  to the titans. Now he'll probably  do a dance and point to Ballard  every time he sacks wentz lol

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

Isn't Zaven Collins a 3-4 inside linebacker? I don't see any way Ballard picks a linebacker higher than round 4 this year. 

From what I read he fits as a 4-3 inside but I’ve just read about him.  He sounds big fast can stop the run and cover.  But like I said I haven’t watched just read.  

What confused you @NewColtsFan?  That I wouldn’t hate it if he is picked or that I read he would fit nicely in this d?  Lol. 

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

From what I read he fits as a 4-3 inside but I’ve just read about him.  He sounds big fast can stop the run and cover.  But like I said I haven’t watched just read.  

What confused you @NewColtsFan?  That I wouldn’t hate it if he is picked or that I read he would fit nicely in this d?  Lol. 

That he’d be a fit in our D.    Collins is a very good player.   But my read is he’s a pure 3-4 LB.   I don’t think he fits what we do or what we want from our players.   And again, by all accounts, he’s a very good player.  I think we want to get faster and more athletic. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

That he’d be a fit in our D.    Collins is a very good player.   But my read is he’s a pure 3-4 LB.   I don’t think he fits what we do or what we want from our players.   And again, by all accounts, he’s a very good player.  I think we want to get faster and more athletic. 

I read he fits a 4-3. Which is why I stated it that way.  Not sure how I could write that clearer but I guess it could be confusing to some. 

12 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I read he fits a 4-3. Which is why I stated it that way.  Not sure how I could write that clearer but I guess it could be confusing to some. 

I don't watch any college football at all so rely entirely upon various draft analysts for information about prospects. 

From what I've heard and read, he's a versatile player that would best suit a 3-4 because of the variety of roles that linebackers play in those schemes. Multiple front defences tend to base out of 3-4, and he seems to be a multiple-front friendly kind of player.

He probably could play in a 4-3, but more so in the sense that he seems to be talented and athletic enough to play in any scheme, rather than actually being specifically suited for it. 

He's 6-4, 260, and doesn't appear to be the quickest guy. He just doesn't seem a fit for our Tampa 2 from what I can tell.

Here's a generic and not particularly revealing profile from The Draft Network:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/zaven-collins

1 minute ago, Mackrel829 said:

I don't watch any college football at all so rely entirely upon various draft analysts for information about prospects. 

From what I've heard and read, he's a versatile player that would best suit a 3-4 because of the variety of roles that linebackers play in those schemes. Multiple front defences tend to base out of 3-4, and he seems to be a multiple-front friendly kind of player.

He probably could play in a 4-3, simply but more so in the sense that he seems to be talented and athletic enough to play in any scheme, rather than actually being specifically suited for it. 

He's 6-4, 260, and doesn't appear to be the quickest guy. He just doesn't seem a fit for our Tampa 2 from what I can tell.

Here's a generic and not particularly revealing profile from The Draft Network:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/zaven-collins

What I read was he was very quick and could cover in zone well.  I think it was lindys but I’ll try to find it later.  Again I’ve never watched him just relying on that one piece.  Could be wrong.  

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

He's quite small

Needs to bulk up 20 lbs

RN he will probably play Safety 

That’s not what the Colts are looking for.  They want their LBs under 240.  I think all of ours are.   Walker lost weight.  Okereke lost weight.   Leonard is playing LB at roughly 215!  That’s not a typo.   We want smaller and faster.

This kid at 220-225 would likely be fine for us.   Other teams may want their LB’s at over 240, but I don’t think the Colts are one of them. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s not what the Colts are looking for.  They want their LBs under 240.  I think all of ours are.   Walker lost weight.  Okereke lost weight.   Leonard is playing LB at roughly 215!  That’s not a typo.   We want smaller and faster.

This kid at 220-225 would likely be fine for us.   Other teams may want their LB’s at over 240, but I don’t think the Colts are one of them. 

I could have swore i saw he's 210 but probably im wrong

49 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I could have swore i saw he's 210 but probably im wrong

Ha!   The joke is on me!!   Right after our last exchange I saw a profile of this kid that listed  him at....   215!   

Hey, there’s a first for everything!!   Go figure!

Archived