Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts lose starting lb Anthony Walker

bluephantom87

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

this tells me they believe someone on the team is better or colts need every penny because they are getting ready to spend

I think this was driven by Walker's desire to play more than it was money or the Colts wanting him or not.

4 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I really hope so I really liked Walker and that is an absolute steal.

i think ej speed will be better because he has that  speed that ballard likes . walker is slower and less athletic , all season every time a pass was thrown in the middle it was walker getting beat .   His pff grade in pass coverage is the worst on the team . his grade overall was only 48 even bobby got a 58 .    His passing grade rating is bottom tier of the nfl last year , he is limited athletically and ballard wants long  quick  guys who can cover distance .   walker is not built like bobby and darius or speed .

Just now, ar7 said:

I think this was driven by Walker's desire to play more than it was money or the Colts wanting him or not.

i still think if ballard offered him 7 million a year he is taking it right away .  Its hard on players to move their families and start over .  That is why players take pay cuts to say on the teams that drafted them .   I think ballard was moving away from walker already , we know what ballard likes in a linebacker  he said it many times on interviews .  He likes them to have long arms and legs like darius bobby and kenny moore .   ballard has a style and walker was drafted in between pagano and frank when we were still a 3-4 team . He was a filler type player until the rebuild was done , that is what it seems like to me .

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Likely, Ballard shared what he thought Walkers playing time might be, and he asked for an opportunity play more that he would have this season with the Colts.

Sorry to see him go....but I get it. 

This.

He wasn't guaranteed play time in Indy and he's far too good to be on the bench.

Fantastic signing for Cleveland.

23 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

This.

He wasn't guaranteed play time in Indy and he's far too good to be on the bench.

Fantastic signing for Cleveland.

it was a bad signing for cleveland they let schobert go who was rated better in pass coverage then walker .  walker graded worse then the browns current line backers in pass coverage .  schobert is a great tackler and against the run .  

35 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i still think if ballard offered him 7 million a year he is taking it right away .  Its hard on players to move their families and start over .  That is why players take pay cuts to say on the teams that drafted them .   I think ballard was moving away from walker already , we know what ballard likes in a linebacker  he said it many times on interviews .  He likes them to have long arms and legs like darius bobby and kenny moore .   ballard has a style and walker was drafted in between pagano and frank when we were still a 3-4 team . He was a filler type player until the rebuild was done , that is what it seems like to me .

Players take pay cuts primarily because it's all they are going to get paid to play NFL football..... I don't recall many saying, "don't cut me, just pay me less so I don't have to relocate"

11 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Players take pay cuts primarily because it's all they are going to get paid to play NFL football..... I don't recall many saying, "don't cut me, just pay me less so I don't have to relocate"

reggie wayne said he left millions on the table to stay with the colts because he loves the colts .   its not just about relocating but staying with the team they been playing on since coming into the league . its home for some players and a family .  You are acting like players do not take pay cuts to stay with the team that drafted them .

Colts will miss him. Oke is better in pass coverage, but Walker is way better vs the run. Praying Oke steps up, because his overall grade (49.6) was pretty poor. IMO, our run D just too a hit, and our pass D was already poor. And Oke was a part of the pass D struggles too (Walker wasn't really playing many passing downs). We haven't seen Speed much at all, so hard to assume he's going to step in a play a big role. And keep in mind, Walker was the QB/signal caller of the D for years.

I do agree Walker wanted more playing time, and probably was unhappy losing snaps to Oke. I wish Walker well. He was a good guy, and he was a tackling machine.

Here's an article with Leonard and Kenny talking about the loss of Walker.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/03/browns-agreement-with-lb-anthony-walker-1-year-up-to-35-million-gets-ringing-endorsement-from-colts-all-pro-darius-leonard.html

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Colts will miss him. Oke is better in pass coverage, but Walker is way better vs the run. Praying Oke steps up, because his overall grade (49.6) was pretty poor. IMO, our run D just too a hit, and our pass D was already poor. And Oke was a part of the pass D struggles too (Walker wasn't really playing many passing downs). We haven't seen Speed much at all, so hard to assume he's going to step in a play a big role. And keep in mind, Walker was the QB/signal caller of the D for years.

I do agree Walker wanted more playing time, and probably was unhappy losing snaps to Oke. I wish Walker well. He was a good guy, and he was a tackling machine.

Here's an article with Leonard and Kenny talking about the loss of Walker.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/03/browns-agreement-with-lb-anthony-walker-1-year-up-to-35-million-gets-ringing-endorsement-from-colts-all-pro-darius-leonard.html

All this is true great assessment!!

Only 2 players left from CB's first draft in 2017

1/15 - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio St

2/46 - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

3/80 - Tarrell Basham, DE, Ohio

4/137 - Zach Banner, OT, USC

4/143 - Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida

4/144 - Grover Stewart, DT, Albany St

5/158 - Nate Hairston, CB, Temple

5/161 - Anthony Walker Jr, LB, Northwestern

In a way, its a good sign that the Colts are losing solid players.
  Walker played tough and was a smart player but you’re only as good as your weakest link.        I think we saw the writing on the wall, when he started getting less playing time.

I wish him well, (unless he’s playing the Colts).

3 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

In a way, its a good sign that the Colts are losing solid players.
  Walker played tough and was a smart player but you’re only as good as your weakest link.        I think we saw the writing on the wall, when he started getting less playing time.

I wish him well, (unless he’s playing the Colts).

What’s that make the Colts now if they are only as good as their weakest link. Plenty of weak links on the DL and only 2 starting caliber LB’s.

I understand Ballard pretty much stated in his press conference that Walker was leaving but Colts losing a lot of talent and adding..... really nothing.

27 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Not surprised, different schemes different coaches

I have no doubt we will miss Walkers leadership and quarterbacking of the defense.  

But when you heard Ballard GUSHING praise for Walker at the Jan news conference, the writing was on the wall.   Ballard called Walker either a future Head Coach or General Manager.  Whatever he wants.  Ballard LOVES the guy!   He knows who and what Walker is. 

And he still let him go. 

The Colts want to get faster.  Walker was going to be on the field less and less.  We’re playing more nickel and dime defenses with faster DB’s and fewer LB’s on the field.

AW wants and needs to play.  Great for him.  But our future is different, and it didn’t really include enough playing time for AW.

Our world is changing as we’re trying to get better.   

20 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

What’s that make the Colts now if they are only as good as their weakest link. Plenty of weak links on the DL and only 2 starting caliber LB’s.

I understand Ballard pretty much stated in his press conference that Walker was leaving but Colts losing a lot of talent and adding..... really nothing.

We likely don’t have to add anyone.

Starters:  Leonard, Okereke, Speed

Backups:  Adams, Franklin,  Glasgow, Moore.

The younger guys (Speed, Adams) will get the Walker snaps.  But we’re also likely going to be playing fewer downs with three linebackers on the field. 

Ballard and Flus have factored this in. 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Building through the draft :D

3/80 - ,Tarrell Basham DE, Ohio

Hooker is not signed with someone else yet. Although it's reported that he's visiting the Cowboys. I'd take him back on a cheap deal, similar to Mack's.

Also ironic we let Basham go, he started for the NYJs last year with decent grades, etc.. He just signed with the Cowboys.

I kinda knew this was going to happen because Ballard told us in his year end talk. My guess is that he came to that decision after sitting down with the coaches and his key evaluators. Ballard does not do things without a succession plan for that position. 

But I thought he was best GM in NFL???

Archived