Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What this lack of free agent activity possibly means

I believe this lack of activity and non-existent signing period for the Colts is traced back to possibly that Ballard isn't completely sold on Wentz and he doesn't view this team as ready to make a deep playoff run yet.

If it were ready, and he thought Wentz was an upgrade to Rivers, why wouldn't he have tried to bring in someone at DE to help out Buckner and this pass rush to make this team more ready to win a championship? At this point, I don't see how our pass rush is any better in 2021. If anything it got worse with losing Autry, and now having to rely on Turay and Lewis who both are question marks. With what Tennessee has done, I believe they could possibly have the better defense in 2021, with the additions of Dupree & Autry, not to mention they resigned Jayon Brown, their best LB when healthy.

Aside from DE, there have been other free agents at other positions of need for the Colts that have signed 1 year prove it deals. Those are contracts Ballard could easily afford all the while still having enough space to sign his own studs like Leonard, Smith, etc. Getting those type of players on friendly contracts would certainly help this team win now.

If I'm being too out there with my takes feel free to disagree, but I just thought this team was more ready to win now, and Ballard's lack of activity is showing otherwise imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

He never spends in FA and has set from the beginning here he will build through the draft.

Some posters still believe every FA time Ballard will splurge and he never does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is no different than how Ballard operated through FA when he had Luck, Philip Rivers, and now Wentz. He simply will not overpay for a player, and thus, the inaction in the early period of FA.

There will be players added. Just wait till the dust settles. Ballard does not go after big named FA, rather ascending players who are a good fit for what we do specifically.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
Just now, Flash7 said:

This is no different than how Ballard operated through FA when he had Luck, Philip Rivers, and now Wentz. He simply will not overpay for a player, and thus, the inaction in the early period of FA.

There will be players added. Just wait till the dust settles. Ballard does not go after big named FA, rather ascending players who are a good fit for what we do specifically.

100%. He has his philosophy and has shown he won't deviate. It's frustrating at times, but I think having that disciplined approach is what helps build long-term success.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I believe this lack of activity and non-existent signing period for the Colts is traced back to possibly that Ballard isn't completely sold on Wentz and he doesn't view this team as ready to make a deep playoff run yet.

If it were ready, and he thought Wentz was an upgrade to Rivers, why wouldn't he have tried to bring in someone at DE to help out Buckner and this pass rush to make this team more ready to win a championship? At this point, I don't see how our pass rush is any better in 2021. If anything it got worse with losing Autry, and now having to rely on Turay and Lewis who both are question marks. With what Tennessee has done, I believe they could possibly have the better defense in 2021, with the additions of Dupree & Autry, not to mention they resigned Jayon Brown, their best LB when healthy.

Aside from DE, there have been other free agents at other positions of need for the Colts that have signed 1 year prove it deals. Those are contracts Ballard could easily afford all the while still having enough space to sign his own studs like Leonard, Smith, etc. Getting those type of players on friendly contracts would certainly help this team win now.

If I'm being too out there with my takes feel free to disagree, but I just thought this team was more ready to win now, and Ballard's lack of activity is showing otherwise imo. 

:facepalm:

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Shive said:

100%. He has his philosophy and has shown he won't deviate. It's frustrating at times, but I think having that disciplined approach is what helps build long-term success.

I totally get that, but there are times when you can spend on a guy or two once you have your core in place, to get you over the hump. I thought we already have that core established. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I totally get that, but there are times when you can spend on a guy or two once you have your core in place, to get you over the hump. I thought we already have that core established. 

Just accept that Ballard will never do that.  Its fitting yes but I'm actually happy he didn't overpay for several players especially EDGE. 

I think we need to understand, after we presumably re-sign Rhodes and TY, we will only have about $20m in cap space. And Ballard typically doesn't use up all of the cap. He is waiting for the right players at the right price. Most likely $8m to Zach Ertz when cut, a few million to a starting DE, another few million to a vet LT. Then we have to pay our drafted rookies. So it's was never the case we were going to be throwing around money left, right and center... we don't have it. We going to need to be patient through this process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think we need to understand, after we presumably re-sign Rhodes and TY, we will only have about $20m in cap space. And Ballard typically doesn't use up all of the cap. He is waiting for the right players at the right price. Most likely $8m to Zach Ertz when cut, a few million to a starting DE, another few million to a vet LT. Then we have to pay our drafted rookies. So it's was never the case we were going to be throwing around money left, right and center... we don't have it. We going to need to be patient through this process.

We had roughly 48 mil in cap space, so I'd highly doubt we'd only have 20 mil in space left over after resigning them, if that even happens. 

52 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

It's not his lack of confidence in Wentz....it has nothing to do with him.

We could have Johnny Unitas, or Bert Jones, or Peyton Manning as our QB and the lack of FA signings would still be the same.

It's what the Colts do OR more appropriately what they DON'T DO.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We had roughly 48 mil in cap space, so I'd highly doubt we'd only have 20 mil in space left over after resigning them, if that even happens. 

Yes, that was true, then we signed Odum, Mack, Cox and Pascal all for roughly $2m each. According to Spotrac and OTC we have $39m right now not including Rochell. Rhodes and Hilton are about $8m/y each. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Did you project that the Bears would cut Pro Bowler Fuller?
Much is unknown, and Ballard knows much more than you.
 Don't be a hot mess.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ballard simply does not conform to the logic that Free Agency is the best way to build, sustain and win.  He's not going to do it, said he wasn't and won't just because some want him to.  

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

He's done the same thing here he's always done in FA no matter who's been the QB.   No reason for him to do anything different outside of his philosophy.   Build from the Draft and supplement with FA.  He came in the door telling us that "You Can't Buy a Locker Room" ,  He came in the door telling us he believed in spending money, but only on guys who fit and who have truly earned the pay.  He's already proven himself when it comes to locating good players without breaking the bank.  The thing is our definition of who is good versus his definition of who is good can be at opposite ends of the spectrum sometimes.  Wentz doesn't have anything to do with this my bro.

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think he will, or would, “splurge on the right guy.  The Buckner deal you could call splurging.  Alot of money AND a 1st?  Thats not cheap.  
  I think if he likes the guy enough, and its one of his “key” positions.... OL, DL, QB, etc...... i have no doubt he would spend “a lil extra.”   But there is ALWAYS a limit.  I’m kinda thankful he usually falls on the safer side.

Also, i think the drop in cap affected one of his main actions/advantages.  His famous 1 year prove-it deals.  Seems like more teams are using this tactic this year as many players wanna gamble next years market will be better.

• Like 1

It’s kinda hard for us to see the vision.  Ballard and our front office doesn’t operate with their noses to the waiver wire all the time. Oh so and so is released, we have to go after them. 

They probably look at it from a 1,2,3 year view. Here’s our roster holes. Here are the kids coming out in the draft the next few years. Here are the contracts coming up across the league where these guys may hit the market. I bet they calibrate that view constantly based on player by player developments, but I doubt they scramble every time someone hits the market.

Hey this guy wants +20% over the % cap space we designate for a position based on the value our scheme puts on that position, let’s hold and wait for X,Y,Z. 

It’s easy for us to get caught up in the big names and make inferences if we’re not going after them. I think it just shows our FO has a vision and aren’t going to get anxious and put us in salary cap hell before our team is ready to compete for a super bowl. We’re getting close.

I’m eager to see the upside, low cost contract guys we go after as the free agency period actually develops some as we progress further into the off season. We’re still early. Patience. 

I've read some bad takes during this free agency period but this one is up there with this worst. I don't think Ballard would put Frank and Wentz in that position if he had a change of heart. Also, going through the process he did to acquire Wentz wasn't easy at all. If he wasn't sold, why would he put himself, the team, and the franchise in that position? 

As far as the Titans go: Denico Autry is an average DT at best. He would have one good game and take off the next 3. Bud Dupree is coming off a severe injury and before last season showed no signs that he is a legitimate pass rusher. Also, Derrick Henry, as good as he is has to wear down sooner or later. They won a Fluke game at Lucas Oil last season because we had key guys out and we stomped them at their place. I'm not concerned at all with the Titans. 

Ballard is cooking up something in the kitchen. He's never this quiet in free agency. A big move is coming. 

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, tvturner said:

He's doing the same things Polian did

And that got the Colts ONE championship in 2006. That’s a long time ago and most fans want more than that as should the organization.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Shive said:

That is true, but he has several critical positions with no answers.  You can't do it all in the draft, especially with a middle of the road draft position.  What Irsay says he wants does not necessarily agree with CB's work so far.  We haven't signed our own.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I've read some bad takes during this free agency period but this one is up there with this worst. I don't think Ballard would put Frank and Wentz in that position if he had a change of heart. Also, going through the process he did to acquire Wentz wasn't easy at all. If he wasn't sold, why would he put himself, the team, and the franchise in that position? 

As far as the Titans go: Denico Autry is an average DT at best. He would have one good game and take off the next 3. Bud Dupree is coming off a severe injury and before last season showed no signs that he is a legitimate pass rusher. Also, Derrick Henry, as good as he is has to wear down sooner or later. They won a Fluke game at Lucas Oil last season because we had key guys out and we stomped them at their place. I'm not concerned at all with the Titans. 

Ballard is cooking up something in the kitchen. He's never this quiet in free agency. A big move is coming. 

Agree with your first two paragraphs.........

Im not sure there are any other big moves left to make in FA..... the top guys are signed

My bet is that we stay the course, pick up a bargain FA or two out of current current group as well as the June 1 cuts that always seem to come.

My bet is we go to the draft, pick the BPA within a smaller group of needs..... then fill in with June 1 cuts, and make trades during camp...... for any needs still not met

With the strength of the line, we could live with an average LT candidate while we wait on a rookie to develop

Unless a cant miss LT slides to 21, I see us trading the pick for an early 2nd / late 1st and to pick up a 3rd round pick

I may be in a minority, but I hope we use 2 of the first 4 picks on DE.

We will see

On 3/19/2021 at 4:12 PM, joecolts said:

Ballard simply does not conform to the logic that Free Agency is the best way to build, sustain and win.  He's not going to do it, said he wasn't and won't just because some want him to.  

how is his method of filling the roster with unproven draft picks and low dollar free agents working for us? four years 32 and 32 with out winning our division once

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, DEFENSE said:

how is his method of filling the roster with unproven draft picks and low dollar free agents working for us? four years 32 and 32 with out winning our division once

He inherited a roster that was completed depleted, had an All-Pro QB retire without warning right before the season began, had a a head coach who was hired decide he didn't want to be a head coach and had to go through the process all over, has had to rebuild the team from top to bottom and got us to the playoffs last year in spite of all of that!  If you don't like the man, that's your choice.  I think he's done a phenomenal job with what he inherited.  A miss here and there?  Yes.  Best draft in the NFL last year?  YES!!  According to NFL.com.  COMPLETELY disagree with you.  Moving on.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, joecolts said:

He inherited a roster that was completed depleted, had an All-Pro QB retire without warning right before the season began, had a a head coach who was hired decide he didn't want to be a head coach and had to go through the process all over, has had to rebuild the team from top to bottom and got us to the playoffs last year in spite of all of that!  If you don't like the man, that's your choice.  I think he's done a phenomenal job with what he inherited.  A miss here and there?  Yes.  Best draft in the NFL last year?  YES!!  According to NFL.com.  COMPLETELY disagree with you.  Moving on.

This has nothing to do with disliking Ballard. I like what he does in the draft. I don’t like what he doesn’t do in free agency. Many teams have improved their roster through free agency in the past week or two. The Colts current roster is not as good as it was at the end of the season. That’s what frustrates some fans as cap money just sits on the sideline.

16 hours ago, joecolts said:

I can see where they are coming from.  Winning the draft has not translated into playoff wins for us.

Costanzo's retirement is making it hard to actually improve the team over last year if we are going to sit out free agency.   They also have the most projected cap space in the league next year too, I dont get why they are being so conservative with a team that was on the cusp of contention.  

I think they are banking too hard on nailing the draft every year, one missed draft could close the window 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

This has nothing to do with disliking Ballard. I like what he does in the draft. I don’t like what he doesn’t do in free agency. Many teams have improved their roster through free agency in the past week or two. The Colts current roster is not as good as it was at the end of the season. That’s what frustrates some fans as cap money just sits on the sideline.

I honestly believe what he is doing is just contrary to what a lot of other teams are doing this year, which is buying now and paying later. It's pretty clear Ballard wants to keep his cap hits stable over the long term and avoid more attrition on the current roster. So to me it's more like he's saying hey let's just take the hit from this Covid cap now while other teams are kicking the can down the road.

19 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

My response though wasn’t to you or your like/dislike of Ballard.  It was to another poster.  As for what he does or doesn’t do in free agency, he’s the architect of this roster.  He’s entrusted with that and to make what he feels it should be.  That’s what he’s paid to do, not for what we believe he should do.  He has to also be cognizant of a couple BIG contracts coming due:  Nelson and Leonard specifically.