Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign DE Isaac Rochell

JediXMan

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jshipp23 said:

The player pool continues to shrink..Most of the difference makers are gone...Hopefully we get Galloday he is about all that left that's worth a crap...

Hes not worth the price he's asking

If he's still a FA in week or so and wants a discount then maybe 

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

The player pool continues to shrink..Most of the difference makers are gone...Hopefully we get Galloday he is about all that is left that's worth a crap...

That's your opinion.     GMs know different.    

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's your opinion.     GMs know different.    

So all these other G.Ms don't know what they are doing I guess...But Ballard that greatest G.M of all time with 1 playoff win in 5 years is the standard...lmao

We were supposed to take advantage of Leonard and Nelson rookie contracts not the opposite...

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Its a little early to be in panic mode like you are

Dude Im not...Just tired of mediocrity..Sometimes being extra cautious is worse than taking risks..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

We were supposed to take advantage of Leonard and Nelson rookie contracts not the opposite...

Dude Im not...Just of mediocrity..Sometimes being extra cautious is worse than taking risks..

Ballard knows what he's doing and yet every off-season some are surprised he doesn't splurge in FA

He never will and thats fine by me

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard knows what he's doing and yet every off-season some are surprised he doesn't splurge in FA

He never will and thats fine by me

There’s a difference between splurge and signing some key holes in FA. Many FAs are taking massive pay cuts due to the Cap being low. 

11 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

So all these other G.Ms don't know what they are doing I guess...But Ballard that greatest G.M of all time with 1 playoff win in 5 years is the standard...lmao

I can understand the frustration, I mean looking at the WR group it definitely turned out to be more of a buyer's market this year. Still, pass rusher is not a position I would overpay for this year. The main guy I had on my radar there was Ngakoue, but he's got a lot of question marks and Ballard probably doesn't want him in the locker room. The only other guy I had on my board was Hendrickson, and he played across from Jordan in NO. Again, you're talking about guys who have around 4-5 years left of solid production, maybe. Pass rushers are notorious for falling off after they get the big bag. That's one position I much prefer to address in the first round of the draft personally. 

I also realize that Ballard has whiffed on a couple of those, but at least you don't draft like Pittsburgh in recent years. Tomlin would go after a Linebacker every single year and ignore the inevitable QB nightmare they are now dealing with. Then he finally hits on a couple guys and can't resign one of the best at his position as a result. This Colts team is only a couple pieces away from a Super Bowl run.

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

There’s a difference between splurge and signing some key holes in FA. Many FAs are taking massive pay cuts due to the Cap being low. 

I'm not bothered by it cause I share the same philosophy as Ballard that teams should be built through the draft

58 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We couldn't even pay Wentz's 10 million dollar roster bonus...Split half this year and half next...

Yeah and I'm wondering why? The guy tweeting said it helps their cash flow...a poster said it give us more cap space....but we're not close to cap space.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm sure you thought the same about Autry a few years ago

3 hours ago, Shive said:

Ballard's draft track record has nothing to do with his FA signings. Cool deflection though.

Autry was a UDFA, backup DE that was seen by most as an overpaid depth player. He far exceeded his contract and any of our expectations. Nobody here thinks Ballard is infallible, but a lot understand he has a FA philosophy that is mostly signing ascending talents that have played well in limited snaps that he thinks can do equally as well when given more prominent roles. 

We're nowhere near done with Free Agency and since Ballard has gotten here, we almost never sign FA's until over a week into it.

I feel like this has become a yearly ritual for you. Quiet all season long, pop up at free agency to trash any acquisitions, quiet again, come back to trash the draft picks, then back in hibernation for the rest of the year, with a sprinkle of negativity here and there.

Poster is likely still mad we didn't draft Barkley. 

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

I agree with this I really do. It's very plausible that that is the thinking, however with that being said, there are always players in FA that are clearly better than what you currently have on the roster and in that moment it becomes ALL about the money aspect. Some of us are in agreeance to not waaaaay overspend on such players but at the same time we understand that you have to actually sometimes spend slightly more to acquire better talent while at the same time not waaaay overspending for the talent, thats seems to be Ballard's dilemna. He just doesn't want to pay in any amount over what he deems not worth it. That's going to not bode well for the Colts IMO

I think we are mostly on the same page.  I don’t have an issue with how Ballard has done things because so far I am happy with the results overall and I trust him to work his plan.  I am not saying you aren’t that’s just why I am not overly concerned right now.  I trust Ballard to have a plan to address the holes even if we don’t see it. 

45 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

No team is going crazy in free agency. 

I'm sure Ballard is in negotiations with a few players  

5 hours ago, Myles said:

There must be some Notre Dame fans on here who have some insight.  

Extremely high-character.  Could not be more of a locker room fit.  Also has a high motor.

A little quicker/more athletic than Autry.  Nice rotational depth. 

Motor on display:

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

With Cam as his qb.  They will be 3rd in the division

I would never doubt Belichik...He is gonna build an offense around his strengths this year hence the two TE's....I still think he may trade up and  draft a QB or trade for one still as well..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Well, when you put it like that...

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Yeah...I agree.  Especially when Ballard hasn't really shown that he can draft an impact player at edge for ish.  Hassan Reddick friggin signed with Carolina for 1 year at $8 million.  That doesn't sound like it would of been a bad signing at all for the Colts and would have actually improved their' edge rush.  You can make selective  signings and still be responsible with the cap and continue to build through the draft...not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I do believe Ballard knows what he's doing.  I'm convinced of it, but yes, at some point Luck retiring goes out the window.   It can't be a 10 year plan.  

That said, with a new QB who is coming off a terrible season, you don't really know what you have here.  Honestly, I'm not sure how you should approach things.  If Ballard would go heavy in free agency, it would probably be next year after you see what you have in Wentz.

Just now, #12. said:

I do believe Ballard knows what he's doing.  I'm convinced of it, but yes, at some point Luck retiring goes out the window.   It can't be a 10 year plan.  

That said, with a new QB who is coming off a terrible season, you don't really know what you have here.  Honestly, I'm not sure how you should approach things.  If Ballard would go heavy in free agency, it would probably be next year after you see what you have in Wentz.

Ballard will never go heavy in FA

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Ballard will never go heavy in FA

That's a bit of a myth.  He's not Polian.  He's signed his fair share of free agents, but if he ever goes after several top tier free agents, this wouldn't be the year.

Keefer said on his podcast he was told by people inside the building they didnt think any of the edge rushes in FA were worth the dollars they got and to check back in two years and see where they are at. I tend to agree looking at their stats. None of them had elite stats. I do think though if he wasn’t going to go after one we needed to keep Autry.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah and I'm wondering why? The guy tweeting said it helps their cash flow...a poster said it give us more cap space....but we're not close to cap space.

You have NO CLUE where we are with Cap Space because you have NO CLUE what contracts they are working on. Good grief get a grip please!
 I heard they are wanting to sign Pascall for 3 years in the $18M range.
Is that OK with you?

37 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah...I agree.  Especially when Ballard hasn't really shown that he can draft an impact player at edge for ish.  Hassan Reddick friggin signed with Carolina for 1 year at $8 million.  That doesn't sound like it would of been a bad signing at all for the Colts and would have actually improved their' edge rush. 

I was a huge fan of Reddick coming out of Temple and since we were still in the 3-4 that year, I was clamoring for us to draft him in the 1st. At this point though, it's very clear that he wouldn't be a schematic fit at all for us, so I highly doubt he was even on our radar. He also signed with Carolina because his college coach is the HC there now. I don't think he was ever going anywhere else.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Wentz has that number. I'm assuming they're asking about Rochell, especially since he wore 98 in LA.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I was a huge fan of Reddick coming out of Temple and since we were still in the 3-4 that year, I was clamoring for us to draft him in the 1st. At this point though, it's very clear that he wouldn't be a schematic fit at all for us, so I highly doubt he was even on our radar. He also signed with Carolina because his college coach is the HC there now. I don't think he was ever going anywhere else.

Wentz has that number. I'm assuming they're asking about Rochell, especially since he wore 98 in LA.

I was trying to be funny

Archived