• Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joecolts said:

Isaac Rochell career stats w/Chargers

2020 29 combined tackles / 12 assist / 2.5 sacks 

2019 12 combined tackles /  9 assist / 1.0 sacks

2018 29 combined tackles / 11 assist / 5.0 sacks

2017 4 combined tackles / 0 assist / 0 sacks

Looks like he's gotten better as his career has advanced.  Good upside.  Situational DE

Not bad numbers for a youngster 

3 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

looks like he replaced autry for less money, irsay will like that

200.gif

actually it doesn’t. But if you understood how player salary money actually worked. You would know that it saves Irsay nothing. Irsay never had that money as it is set aside from league revenue before it ever gets sent to anyone. It goes into an Escrow account that is only for player salaries.

35 minutes ago, joecolts said:

Isaac Rochell career stats w/Chargers

2020 29 combined tackles / 12 assist / 2.5 sacks 

2019 12 combined tackles /  9 assist / 1.0 sacks

2018 29 combined tackles / 11 assist / 5.0 sacks

2017 4 combined tackles / 0 assist / 0 sacks

Looks like he's gotten better as his career has advanced.  Good upside.  Situational DE

He definitely seems to be in the same mold as Autry from a usage perspective (strong-side DE that can kick inside on passing downs). Hopefully he's equally as productive.

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

I would add that people need to stop replying to posts that they consider off topic......and then complaining about the thread being off topic.  It makes it very difficult to tease apart what people want to talk about and what they don't.

Good point.

thats why you get the big bucks.

its no easy task being the “kindergarten teacher” around here.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

The thing is you and many other posters here (fans) assume these guys are elite. In many situations they are not. Ballard is a smart conserved GM who doesn’t just throw money at guys for no reason. JuJu isn’t that great of a WR but some team will pay him 15+mil per year. That’s a dumb deal and I’m glad we have a guy that looks pst this. 

I think where I and most other fans are frustrated is when no moves are being made to improve this team with the bargain deals that are now available to them. Guys are signing 1 year prove it deals at this point. Ballard can easily afford that and still pay our own guys like Leonard, Smith, Q, etc. This team does still have quite of bit of needs and you can't solve them all in the draft. 

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think where I and most other fans are frustrated is when no moves are being made to improve this team with the bargain deals that are now available to them. Guys are signing 1 year prove it deals at this point. Ballard can easily afford that and still pay our own guys like Leonard, Smith, Q, etc. This team does still have quite of bit of needs and you can't solve them all in the draft. 

I see what you are saying but some one year deals are still for a high price. And guess what happens next year. The same thing. Many holes to fill. Ballard probably wants nothing to do with that. 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I was panicking and even starting complaining on one thread that we have to many holes for the draft to cover alone . Then  I decided to look up how long Ballard took in the past to sign free agents and I felt dumb for complaining.  I think Ballard just  knows we have big contracts coming up and needs to get guys cheap who can out perform their contracts .  

I know from his previous press conferences that Ballard has a performance/pay scale in his mind in these dealings.  He will not be the winner in any bidding war for a FA.  I think he also has a similar position to Bill Polian. Bill feels early in FA every year, excellent players get 'elite' money. Good players get 'excellent player' money. A few somewhat decent players get 'good' money.  but generally, later in FA players and pay level out. While Ballard may be involved in early FA discussions (and drops off once a $ line gets crossed), it seems to me the later FA period is where he really looks to find the 'right fit pieces' at the proper cost.  Then draft accordingly.  Thus giving attention short and long term.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

The thing is you and many other posters here (fans) assume these guys are elite. In many situations they are not. Ballard is a smart conserved GM who doesn’t just throw money at guys for no reason. JuJu isn’t that great of a WR but some team will pay him 15+mil per year. That’s a dumb deal and I’m glad we have a guy that looks pst this. 

A fair point. To me, elite players are like Lawrence Taylor, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady (etc.) caliber type of players.  If they hit FA, they deserve, get, and most often perform to the lofty levels.

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I see what you are saying but some one year deals are still for a high price. And guess what happens next year. The same thing. Many holes to fill. Ballard probably wants nothing to do with that. 

I'd like people to look up all of the early, short term FA signings in prior years and the $ spent vs. performance delivered. And how many of them get extended or re-signed back to the same team for the next contract. I feel folks eyes will be opened about the true value of that early FA 'eye candy'.

51 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Lol if Ballard is counting on Rochell to replace Autry he is sadly mistaken. 

Why is that? Autry was an UDFA that was a backup DE with the Raiders. When we signed him, a lot of people here labeled him as a "camp body" and wrote him off. The benefit of hindsight allows you to view the acquisition of Autry as a win, but at the time it was hardly regarded as such.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think when we signed Autry it was for more than one year.  Not 100% sure though.  Autry just got a two year deal.  This deal is for one year.  I guess they weren’t confident enough to give him two years.

Yeah, we gave Autry like 3 years/$18 mil. 

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think when we signed Autry it was for more than one year.  Not 100% sure though.  Autry just got a two year deal.  This deal is for one year.  I guess they weren’t confident enough to give him two years.

Which kind of tells me they thought they would keep Autry.   Instead, he leaves, so you find someone who can reasonably cover the role and reevaluate next year.

Of course if Rochell breaks out, you'll have to pay him.  

23 minutes ago, Shive said:

Why is that? Autry was an UDFA that was a backup DE with the Raiders. When we signed him, a lot of people here labeled him as a "camp body" and wrote him off. The benefit of hindsight allows you to view the acquisition of Autry as a win, but at the time it was hardly regarded as such.

Not trying to be argumentative because I’m the one who recently posted that nobody knew who Autry was when we signed him.  

That said, it’s hard to believe people called him a “camp body” when we signed him to a 3-year deal for roughly $16-17 million dollars.   Camp bodies don’t get that kind of deal.

Archived