Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cowherd speculates Watson to Patriots

LJpalmbeacher2

34 minutes ago, MPStack said:

No team in their right mind would trade for Watson. I’d bet money the Texans will out right cut Watson, sooner or later. 

Months ago he demands a trade and now that he’s in deep doo-doo, you think the Texan’s want to deal with mess. Hell No! 

He's too good of a player on the field to get rid of because of his trade motivations or this legal matter at the moment.  The trade demand seemed like he was just dug in over some hot headed comments he made public, and couldn't back down from, and this situation has some elements to it that are less serious than your normal sexual crime.

I'd give it a season to let him calm down and get his personal life in order, with a possibility that he's humbled after he pays his punishment,.  At some point, he may just want to play football again.   Follow the contract.  Make him pay back some signing bonus he probably owes HOU if he chooses to sit out, and of course don't pay him his salary.

Like I said before.  Do nothing.  Don't say anything publicly other than you support your player and that you want him as your QB, understanding that Tyrod Taylor is your $12M Qb this season. Give him a season to get his head together.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, chad72 said:

I also do not agree with the Texas court judge forcing the women to reveal the identities despite seeing the death threats the other woman got. How many death threats did Watson really get? It is apples to oranges, what the big guy has to go through vs these women. 

There has to be a middle ground where their identities are revealed to the court and the lawyers and jury but not to the entire public. Even if you are on Watson's side, you can tell that is not fair to the women for safety reasons. Did the Texas courts have this kind of uproar while the former POTUS used twitter to rally his "troops"? Facebook and Twitter did but not the Texas courts. So, what is wrong with Buzbee using social media? Everyone does it nowadays, to gain public opinion. Maybe Buzbee was right to question the fairness of the Houston PD and court system to begin with. 

For a judge to use that as an excuse to force women to go through what they are going through is shameful on that judge's part. If I were Buzbee, I would fight it in the Texas Supreme Court and the ultimate Supreme Court to show there is not enough merit or precedent for such public identity reveal in a sexual assault case. Then people wonder why more women don't come forward.

#endofrant

Google 6th ammendment 

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Google 6th ammendment 

Of course the accused has rights but it says nothing about the public needing to know their identities with their full first and last names. How else is Watson going to defend each allegation without addressing them individually?

Thats why I felt Watson and his lawyers can know but when it does get to a criminal case, the jury needs to know Woman A, Woman B and just the facts surrounding the case for each of the women. Their first and last names are immaterial to the jury (or should be). The lawyers and their teams can dig up all they want based on their identities that will be known to them, which is what they’re supposed to do anyways.

The only goal here is to drag the women through mud in the public’s eyes, clearly.

59 minutes ago, DougDew said:

he trade demand seemed like he was just dug in over some hot headed comments he made public, and couldn't back down from

He wants out for the same reasons that JJ Watt did.

Watt, Watson, Hopkins, Foster and Andre Johnson have ALL spoken out against how the Texans run their team and locker room.

They all said why they didn't like it there, you seem to be ignoring that and making it about something else.

50 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He wants out for the same reasons that JJ Watt did.

Watt, Watson, Hopkins, Foster and Andre Johnson have ALL spoken out against how the Texans run their team and locker room.

They all said why they didn't like it there, you seem to be ignoring that and making it about something else.

Who's doing the ignoring?   This is what I was working from, starting way back in October.  

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article246397290.html

HOU fired O'Brien, and HOU hasn't had any problems attracting FAs this offseason with who is still there or who has been hired since.  Foster, AJ, and Hopkins are way old news, and it seems that Watt and Watson have other points they're trying to make.

Believe what you want.  The truth was reported in October, before everybody took one side or the other.

33 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

They are all talking about the same things

I doubt it.  Three of them have been away from HOU for years.   The guy who made bad trades...OBrien....was fired.   Whomever is still there or has been hired since October appears to be attractive enough to the 90 or so players on the team right now.

Watson's issue is more timely, and its clear.  We know the basis of why he thinks HOU is "poorly run".  

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/deshaun-watson-reportedly-unhappy-texans-didnt-interview-eric-bieniemy

And there is the Chris Mortensen/ESPN tweet, if you want to look it up. Watson apparently saw something through whatever bad lens he saw things through and committed to a position that he should not have.  And there he sits.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Of course the accused has rights but it says nothing about the public needing to know their identities with their full first and last names. How else is Watson going to defend each allegation without addressing them individually?

Thats why I felt Watson and his lawyers can know but when it does get to a criminal case, the jury needs to know Woman A, Woman B and just the facts surrounding the case for each of the women. Their first and last names are immaterial to the jury (or should be). The lawyers and their teams can dig up all they want based on their identities that will be known to them, which is what they’re supposed to do anyways.

The only goal here is to drag the women through mud in the public’s eyes, clearly.

Once in the court,  it's public record.   I'm not sure the judge can do anything about that

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

he guy who made bad trades...OBrien....was fired.

It was never about him, that was overblown by the fans because of the Hopkins trade.  

They all said what they didnt like about the culture there, you proceeded to ignore it and make it about something else.  You realize the coach they did hire is black right?

Eric bieniemy was the last straw, not the one and only thing that he cared about.  I think he had a valid complaint here too

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Not sure why they are held up as the pedestal of defining what HOU is or is not.

I'm not sure why you don't get it tbh.  They are the best players they have ever had and some are HOF worthy.  It would be like Peyton manning saying the colts had a negative culture that made him not want to play anymore 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

What do the current 90 players on the team feel about the culture? 

They have complained too and also supported Watsons request to leave.  Heck even people in the front office have complained about the politics and religion in this organization to the media.  This isn't normal for nfl teams, they are running a bad ship down there.

They are run by terrible, out of touch owners and its amazing fans still defend them

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I'm not sure why you don't get it tbh.  They are the best players they have ever had and some are HOF worthy.  It would be like Peyton manning saying the colts had a negative culture that made him not want to play anymore 

They have complained too and also supported Watsons request to leave.  Heck even people in the front office have complained about the politics and religion in this organization to the media.  This isn't normal for nfl teams, they are running a bad ship down there.

They are run by terrible, out of touch owners and its amazing fans still defend them

Doug refuses to acknowledge Jack Easterbys role in all of this.   I don't care one way or the other about what happened,  but to ignore the Easterby connection is ignorant.   

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

You are having a different conversation than I am.

I'm talking about the narrow issue of Watson possibly being traded, and citing the reasons he supposedly stated for wanting to be traded.  I show you articles because you insinuate that I am wrong about those reasons. 

What the culture is or is not in the HOU organization is not relevant, because no articles have cited culture as being the reason. 

Its also not relevant to Watson, because it seems to me that if these adverse conditions were long standing since the time AJ and Foster were in the locker room, then those conditions must not have have been a big deal to Watson in September when he chose to extended his playing time with such a bad organization run by such awful political owners.  That must not be the reason he wants a trade.

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Doug refuses to acknowledge Jack Easterbys role in all of this.   I don't care one way or the other about what happened,  but to ignore the Easterby connection is ignorant.   

What is his role?  

So does everybody on the team who doesn't want to be traded because of whatever Easterby did not seeing things as well as Watson and 5 players who were let go by the team?  Why are the 5 seeing it correctly and the 150 not?  

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

What the culture is or is not in the HOU organization is not relevant, because no articles have cited culture as being the reason. 

That is why he wants to leave, you are making it about something else.  You are the one out in left field here

The coaching situation is one small part of this, not the whole story by a long shot

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Watson's reasons are clearly about EB.  And if Watson is linking Bienemy to a violation of the Rooney Rule, the Rooney Rule has been around for about 15 years and the Texans have complied.  Its almost like he's taken a 3 minute look at the EB situation and expressed a public hot take conclusion without even knowing the Texans record of complying with the Rooney Rule.

The coach they hired is black lmao, it isn't about race

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

That is why he wants to leave, you are making it about something else.  You are the one out in left field here

The coaching situation is one small part of this, not the whole story by a long shot

We are talking past each other.  Let me explain to you what you're missing.

JJ Watt has an opinion about Easterby and the Org in general apparently, and because of that opinion, he supports Watson's desire to leave the Org.

Why would Watt's opinion about why Watson should leave matter to an owner who is going to potentially trade for Watson?

I would think the owner would care about knowing Watson's opinion as to why he wants a trade, not everybody else's opinion about why.  Watson has expressed that clearly.  The articles say nothing bout Easterby.  And in a September news release, Watson specifically mentioned JE and McNair in a thank you tweet.  Very classy.

So why bring up other peoples opinion about why Watson should seek a trade? Its not relevant to Watson's reasons.

I'm sincerely confused.

The only thing I can think of, is that you are looking at offhand comments made in the past, and based on those comment, you are concluding that HOU didn't interview EB because he is black.  Thereby choosing to ignore 15 years of data showing compliance with the Rooney Rule.  If you believe that Watson is talking about race, then you would have to believe that he made the same conclusion about why HOU did not interview EB, because he is black.

Do you know there could be other reasons, right?

7 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

If you are trying to change Doug Dew's opinion, it is futile. It is best to exchange posts with others that are open to different opinions. 

@Qwiz As a Texans fan, can you share your thoughts on the matter. (I saw you on the forum earlier. Hope you're well there in Houston.)

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Watson's reasons are clearly about EB.

I think you have made yourself heard. Let's move on from this. 

On 4/10/2021 at 10:18 AM, DougDew said:

He's too good of a player on the field to get rid of because of his trade motivations or this legal matter at the moment.  The trade demand seemed like he was just dug in over some hot headed comments he made public, and couldn't back down from, and this situation has some elements to it that are less serious than your normal sexual crime.

I'd give it a season to let him calm down and get his personal life in order, with a possibility that he's humbled after he pays his punishment,.  At some point, he may just want to play football again.   Follow the contract.  Make him pay back some signing bonus he probably owes HOU if he chooses to sit out, and of course don't pay him his salary.

Like I said before.  Do nothing.  Don't say anything publicly other than you support your player and that you want him as your QB, understanding that Tyrod Taylor is your $12M Qb this season. Give him a season to get his head together.

If he’s on the commissioners exempt list (possible) Houston has to pay him.  Though could see an outright suspension at this rate. Not looking good.

houston seemingly has screwed this up awfully.  Could’ve traded him but seemed intent on having him sit out, which may occur but they still have to pay him.  

12 minutes ago, Nate! said:

If he’s on the commissioners exempt list (possible) Houston has to pay him.

Is that always the case? I'm trying to remember if Adrian Peterson got paid when he was on the Commissioner's Exempt List. 

1 hour ago, Nate! said:

If he’s on the commissioners exempt list (possible) Houston has to pay him.  Though could see an outright suspension at this rate. Not looking good.

houston seemingly has screwed this up awfully.  Could’ve traded him but seemed intent on having him sit out, which may occur but they still have to pay him.  

If Watson chooses to sit out, he doesn’t get paid. 

If he’s out on the exempt list, then he gets paid until the league determines whether or not Watson violated the league’s personal conduct policy.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

If you are trying to change Doug Dew's opinion, it is futile. It is best to exchange posts with others that are open to different opinions. 

@Qwiz As a Texans fan, can you share your thoughts on the matter. (I saw you on the forum earlier. Hope you're well there in Houston.)

I think you have made yourself heard. Let's move on from this. 

It was a circus at first with all the controversial firings/dismissals caused by Easterby, starting back with Brian Gaine. Watson’s trouble with the law has shifted attention completely away from the negative PR the FO was getting. Still, under Caserio we’ve made a couple good free agent acquisitions, and things have seemingly settled down for now. 

I’m not gonna pretend I know anything more about Watson’s desire to leave Houston than anyone else. Who knows what really is going on behind closed doors, but Watson apparently didn’t like the way the FO was leaving him out of consideration of major roster and personnel decisions. Who knows what things are going to look like in September. I have a strong feeling Watson won’t be under center...whether it’s only temporary or for forever is the only question in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Watson chooses to sit out, he doesn’t get paid. 

If he’s out on the exempt list, then he gets paid until the league determines whether or not Watson violated the league’s personal conduct policy.

Yes, that was my point.  If he’s on the exempt list it’s the same as if he sat out (which they seemed to want to force him to do), but now they have to pay him.  Which goes back to my point to how poorly they handled this.  The first allegation came out when deals could be finalized, which the first allegation was looked at oddly so think deal still would’ve happened.

it’s so bad right now for Watson, it’s not out of the realm he never plays again.  Each defense maneuver they do makes it worse.  They have a bunch of masseuses come out saying he was great, but that just highlights he clearly fishing for a multitude of masseuses which is suspect.  Then now saying he has consensual sexual encounters with multiple of the plaintiffs.  That again just makes him look worse (so fishing for masseuses to have sexual encounters with).  Will see what happens, but definitely not out if the realm he gets permanently sidelined.

20 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Yes, that was my point.  If he’s on the exempt list it’s the same as if he sat out (which they seemed to want to force him to do), but now they have to pay him.  Which goes back to my point to how poorly they handled this.  The first allegation came out when deals could be finalized, which the first allegation was looked at oddly so think deal still would’ve happened.

it’s so bad right now for Watson, it’s not out of the realm he never plays again.  Each defense maneuver they do makes it worse.  They have a bunch of masseuses come out saying he was great, but that just highlights he clearly fishing for a multitude of masseuses which is suspect.  Then now saying he has consensual sexual encounters with multiple of the plaintiffs.  That again just makes him look worse (so fishing for masseuses to have sexual encounters with).  Will see what happens, but definitely not out if the realm he gets permanently sidelined.

Except the lay for the player doesn’t start until the regular season.  Players are paid throughout the season,  wk 1 thru wk 18 including the bye week. 

So right now, Houston is paying Watson zero, and aren’t obligated to pay him a dime until the first week of the season in early September.  One would think by then, this nightmare for everyone will be over. 

If it’s not, then things will have to be sorted out whether Watson violated the personal conduct policy.   If I remember correctly, the NFL has said a crime does NOT have to have been committed for a violation of the conduct policy to have been committed.  One would think that would spell bad news for Watson, by we are still 5 months away from that bridge.   We can cross that then. 

This feels like a lose-lose for everyone.  I like endings that are win-win.   It’ll be a LONG off-season for Houston fans. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Except the lay for the player doesn’t start until the regular season.  Players are paid throughout the season,  wk 1 thru wk 18 including the bye week. 

So right now, Houston is paying Watson zero, and aren’t obligated to pay him a dime until the first week of the season in early September.  One would think by then, this nightmare for everyone will be over. 

If it’s not, then things will have to be sorted out whether Watson violated the personal conduct policy.   If I remember correctly, the NFL has said a crime does NOT have to have been committed for a violation of the conduct policy to have been committed.  One would think that would spell bad news for Watson, by we are still 5 months away from that bridge.   We can cross that then. 

This feels like a lose-lose for everyone.  I like endings that are win-win.   It’ll be a LONG off-season for Houston fans. 

Players start getting paid the first pre season game

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

We are talking past each other.  Let me explain to you what you're missing.

JJ Watt has an opinion about Easterby and the Org in general apparently, and because of that opinion, he supports Watson's desire to leave the Org.

Why would Watt's opinion about why Watson should leave matter to an owner who is going to potentially trade for Watson?

I would think the owner would care about knowing Watson's opinion as to why he wants a trade, not everybody else's opinion about why.  Watson has expressed that clearly.  The articles say nothing bout Easterby.  And in a September news release, Watson specifically mentioned JE and McNair in a thank you tweet.  Very classy.

So why bring up other peoples opinion about why Watson should seek a trade? Its not relevant to Watson's reasons.

I'm sincerely confused.

The only thing I can think of, is that you are looking at offhand comments made in the past, and based on those comment, you are concluding that HOU didn't interview EB because he is black.  Thereby choosing to ignore 15 years of data showing compliance with the Rooney Rule.  If you believe that Watson is talking about race, then you would have to believe that he made the same conclusion about why HOU did not interview EB, because he is black.

Do you know there could be other reasons, right?

When the best players in your teams history have negative things to say,   people listen.   Pretty simple

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Actually,  I think you're right 

Thanks...

One would think the players would get some sort of stipend for pre-season games?   Some type of fee?  Hard to believe players get nothing fit games they get hurt in?

I’ll try to see if I can find. 

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of what seem to be straight forward articles from ESPN about McNair and Easterby, published back in October and November when things were not as exciting.   Relevant info for anybody who may not have known this before forming an opinion.

Sounds like McNair was pretty classy, asking input from Watson, about HC.  Was never asked input on GM because Caserio was the target for months/years.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30364710/houston-texans-ceo-cal-mcnair-asked-deshaun-watson-opinion-team-head-coach-gm-search

And Easterby is known as a high character guy, was team Chaplain at one time (maybe being a Chaplain disqualifies him from promotion?), but is not really an NFL personnel guy and never had much input into actual personnel/football decisions.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30354031/why-jack-easterby-gm-incredibly-valuable-texans

The Patriot connection seems to be about Caserio and Easterby.  Maybe that's why there is a backchannel assumption they would want Watson?

Archived