Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts in the market for a play making tight end per Ballard.

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think we know what we have in Doyle - a reliable TE.  Very solid blocker.  Solid possession type TE, good hands, good in short yardage and mid-yard situations, not very explosive and not really a 'play maker'.

Agreed. I'd add that he runs perfect routes, and creates great "last cut" separation. 

Burton showed flashes of playmaking ability, but his ability to stay healthy is concerning.  He also seems to make plays when he's not really a focal point of the opposing D.  I like Burton, plus he has familiarity with Reich and Wentz.. but I don't see him being a TE who is going to consistently make plays when teams are trying to exclude him from making plays, but rather when he's kind of a second thought (as opposed to guys like Kelce, Hunter, Ertz, Gronk, even Ebron his first year here - guys who teams knew were going to be targeted but could still make plays).

Burton is more slot/HB than TE to me. He'll rarely take up a lot of attention, which is exactly why he's able to make plays when he does get the ball. IMO, we used him as much as we did because we were limited at slot last year. 

MAC is still pretty young and is a transition guy from basketball.  So I'm a bit reluctant to say we know what we have with him.  He had a huge week 2 with 5 catches for 111 yards, then 3 for 50 and a TD in week 3 and 1 for 13 and a TD in week 4.  Shut down/injured game 5, missed game 6, then had solid outings in games 7 and 8 (3 for 43, 3 for 37) and went pretty quiet the rest of the year.  I don't know if that was a nagging injury, if it was something to do with the game plan, or what... I don't think it was the emergence of Burton as Burton had his biggest games early on as well and Doyle didn't really do much as a receiver last year.  Part of me thinks MAC may have been sort of like Marcus Johnson (once he had a few solid games and teams put him in their game plan they could neutralize him).  MAC also seems to be a solid blocker.

I disagree here. I think Reich's game plans were very sporadic (not just at TE). Yes, perhaps injury impacted spots for MAC and limited his targets at times, but one thing can not be denied. He performed well every time he was given opportunity. And we simply didn't see him going long much later in the season, or running sails like he did vs MN.

Anyway, I don't doubt that our TEs are underutilized but I do doubt that we have any true playmakers that can do it on a consistent basis (like a Hunter, Kelce, Ertz, etc.).  I tend to think Reich really likes a true playmaker at TE (evidenced by Ertz in Philly and Ebron his first year here) and it seems obvious that Wentz really likes a playmaking TE.  

I just don't give Reich that much credit for any of the above. In Philly, he wasn't responsible for assembling players or play calling, so hard to give him props for Ertz, and his use. In Indy, Luck's chemistry with Ebron was the reason IMO. Heck, once Doyle got back the next year, Ebron's use/targets declined to a point he was unhappy, so hard to say Reich was prioritizing play making TEs. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s part of pattern some have here.

Fan comes up with completely unrealistic expectation.

Fan ignores people who tell them it’s unrealistic.

Team doesn’t do unrealistic expectation.

Fan gets mad at Ballard for not doing their unrealistic expectation and says Ballard sucks because of it.

We are at step four right now with Colts free agency.

I said if he falls within range...I think its a possibility because TE are rarely taken that high...

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

In Indy, Luck's chemistry with Ebron was the reason IMO. Heck, once Doyle got back the next year, Ebron's use/targets declined to a point he was unhappy, so hard to say Reich was prioritizing play making TEs. 

Agree with most of the rest of your post, so just quoting this.   Ebron came into Indy with drops as a major concern.  He seemed to have fixed that with Luck.  Somehow, they seemed to come back with Brissett.  Brissett was also an obvious downgrade from Luck and struggled to go through his progressions and make proper check downs.  

I'm quite sure part of Ebron's use/targets declining was due to him dropping the ball (same for JT going to the bench after fumbling this past season).  Part of it seemed that Ebron is a prima donna and would rather put up individual stats than win games.  Ballard pretty much flat out said Ebron quit on the team that year and TBH, while the QB play declined, it was also pretty obvious Ebron's play declined as well.

15 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

What do you suggest we do? Go in next year with basically same roster ? 

Curious....does development count for anything? IMO, well run teams get better by their players getting better, not just by buying a better player. 

17 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I think Philly will release Ertz at some point. He's not happy with his deal and he and Roseman seem to have an issue. Also guessing Roseman thinks he can get more then he's worth in a trade. Ballard will wait him out. 

Breaking News 

The Philadelphia Eagles have released TE Zach Ertz 

Ballard:

movie theater popcorn GIF

Did they go to the wrong market? I haven't seen them connected to a single FA TE since the tampering period began. 

I think the trade market is going to be almost have to be the route they go. But these crazy TE contracts are going to actually create a pretty strong trade market for teams with TEs.

But I still hold out hope the NYG would still be dumb enough to trade Engram for a 4th-5th round pick. Or perhaps TB would trade OJ Howard now that they have Gronk coming back. 

I want no part of Ertz. No more PHI castoffs please. He will cost a pick and will want a new contract (regardless of what he is now saying so he can get out of PHI). I have always thought of him as a distant 3rd to Kittle and Kelce...and more of a dependable TE target, but not a dynamic threat. And now he's 30...coming off an injury-riddled, poor season.  

But I have a feeling this is the route they will go. 

What I would like to know, from those who have responded here or not, is why the elephant in the room isn't being addressed? The elephant being the fact that the organization comes out and states this after arguably the top two TE's and a decent potential riser in Gerald Everette are already gone? If they really wanted this and Irsay even stated in a tweet that he would either take a TE or a WR, then why are they talking about it? GO DO IT... 

This is comical. At this point Ertz is the only TE in FA round that is of any possible value. The rest are not considered "playmakers" or hiving "playmaking" ability. Even Ertz is sketchy at this stage but the others would be career average 4 targets a game or less guys that are more hopeful projects at best.

If they want a wideout, Go get JuJu or Golladay or even Fuller... 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

If you wanna take a chance on the cheap, go get David Njouku...

Seriously, wouldn't cost you nothing and that guy might, just might turn into a gem if given a true opportunity

Yeah...he probably won't cost much if they are willing to deal him. I would rather gamble $6M on Njoku's upside than spending $8M on Ertz for a season. 

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah...he probably won't cost much if they are willing to deal him. I would rather gamble $6M on Njoku's upside than spending $8M on Ertz for a season. 

I'm not apposed to Ertz though. I'm an Ertz fan, I just think the younger Njouku and potential upside for the cost vs. Ertz at this stage of his career and his potential cost might be a better route. Who knows? 

14 minutes ago, Indeee said:

What I would like to know, from those who have responded here or not, is why the elephant in the room isn't being addressed? The elephant being the fact that the organization comes out and states this after arguably the top two TE's and a decent potential riser in Gerald Everette are already gone? If they really wanted this and Irsay even stated in a tweet that he would either take a TE or a WR, then why are they talking about it? GO DO IT... 

This is comical. At this point Ertz is the only TE in FA round that is of any possible value. The rest are not considered "playmakers" or hiving "playmaking" ability. Even Ertz is sketchy at this stage but the others would be career average 4 targets a game or less guys that are more hopeful projects at best.

If they want a wideout, Go get JuJu or Golladay or even Fuller... 

My half-joking would be because "playmaking TE" is merely just a buzz term...it's the company line. Irsay first stated it and Reich is just reiterating it. It gives the local media something to write about, instead of articles about extensions that haven't even happened yet.

But it doesn't really matter when they say it...because they have known all along that they are going to trade for Ertz. They discussed him during the Wentz deal. Probably the only reason it didn't happen then was because Roseman had no incentive to dump Ertz before seeing how the TE market played out.

And after this trade happens, the media will proclaim the Colts have found their coveted "playmaking TE" and they will write stories and how great Ertz was from 2017-19 with Wentz as his QB, while chalking up last season to dysfunction in PHI. And while other teams panicked and overpaid FA TEs...Ballard waited back and got a bargain again. That is literally the outline of an article that will be written in the next few weeks.

We should explore trading for Njoku or OJ Howard.  I don’t know if I want to see Wentz locking in on Ertz at the expense of our receivers the majority of the time.  But if we plan on going run heavy and using a lot of 2-3 tight end sets then Ertz could be a great addition.  I just don’t think he’s the same player that deserves the most targets on the team anymore. Hopefully Wentz recognizes that too. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

My half-joking would be because "playmaking TE" is merely just a buzz term...it's the company line. Irsay first stated it and Reich is just reiterating it. It gives the local media something to write about, instead of articles about extensions that haven't even happened yet.

But it doesn't really matter when they say it...because they have known all along that they are going to trade for Ertz. They discussed him during the Wentz deal. Probably the only reason it didn't happen then was because Roseman had no incentive to dump Ertz before seeing how the TE market played out.

And after this trade happens, the media will proclaim the Colts have found their coveted "playmaking TE" and they will write stories and how great Ertz was from 2017-19 with Wentz as his QB, while chalking up last season to dysfunction in PHI. And while other teams panicked and overpaid FA TEs...Ballard waited back and got a bargain again. That is literally the outline of an article that will be written in the next few weeks.

I'm not so sure as Breer just came out and said a buffalo and eagle trade will occur in moments if not tomorrow. Bills are going to strike on Ertz. Somebody posted the twitter from breer in the FA day 4 thread minutes ago

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not apposed to Ertz though. I'm an Ertz fan, I just think the younger Njouku and potential upside for the cost vs. Ertz at this stage of his career and his potential cost might be a better route. Who knows? 

Same here. I just want upside...and a dynamic threat (since MAC isn't that guy). And I want someone that could potentially be a fixture in the passing offense for a few years. I suppose they could finally draft one to develop though.

First, I just think I would prefer to not bring in another dependable older TE type. I don't see the point. They have that in Doyle. I suppose they could release Doyle and bring in Ertz (or Brate or whatever)...but that sucks for Doyle. If he gets through this year, I think he retires as a Colt.

But secondly...a trade for Ertz would likely mean adopting more of a 12 personnel offense...and I am not a big fan of 12. People talk about how Reich loves TEs...but he's been middle of the pack for 12 personnel usage since coming to Indy.

However, in PHI they used it more than any other team (by far)...including when Reich was there. It's what Wentz knows...it's what Ertz played in. It would make a lot of sense...I just don't like that offense.

I think the fact that WR hasn't even been mentioned, outside of bringing back TY, is either a really good sign (because Ballard is working behind the scenes on something) OR it is a bad sign that it's not a priority. And that would go along with my Ertz prediction. But we will see.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

I would trade the farm for Jamaar Chase, but that's just me

Would love to chase, smith, or Pitts, but they will be gone. Milne from byu is another wr  option later in draft. Good at catching off platform  throws

33 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not so sure as Breer just came out and said a buffalo and eagle trade will occur in moments if not tomorrow. Bills are going to strike on Ertz. Somebody posted the twitter from breer in the FA day 4 thread minutes ago

That would be great news...please strike my previous statement. 

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Would love to chase, smith, or Pitts, but they will be gone. Milne from byu is another wr  option later in draft. Good at catching off platform  throws

I like Josh I from Illinois 

There's no way I'm trying spell his name :lol:

Archived