Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts in the market for a play making tight end per Ballard.

GoColts8818

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although the top 3 Tight Ends are off the market, there are still a lot of talented ones available.

Some of them are on the other side of 30, but there could be some diamonds in the rough, like Jake Butt (If he could stay healthy). 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Go get Kyle Pitts if he falls out of the top 10 Chris!

I don’t think he gets past the Chargers at 13 since they just lost Hunter Henry. 

No way Ballard goes TE in the first. 

He could get a hybrid TE/WR like him on the cheap though like Dan Arnold. 

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Free agency has almost boxed him into going LT or DE first and I am not complaining about free agency.

IMO, aside from maybe CB, LT and DE are the only positions we should use our 1st on. And given the draft depth at OT, I'd say that DE should be what we go for in the 1st. 

I'm a hybrid need/BPA guy. But there are positions I would rarely, if ever, take in the 1st. 

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No way Ballard goes TE in the first. 

He could get a hybrid TE/WR like him on the cheap though like Dan Arnold. 

That’s who I’m watching. He needs to get better as a blocker but he’s the epitome of an ascending pass catching TE. And he’d be affordable. 

Just now, Hoose said:

That’s who I’m watching. He needs to get better as a blocker but he’s the epitome of an ascending pass catching TE. And he’d be affordable. 

The kid has never been fully unlocked IMO. I'm really not worried about blocking as MAC and Doyle are good blockers. I'd use Arnold as a primary RZ guy, as well as just a move/detached TE. He made some crazy beast catches.

11 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

What do you suggest we do? Go in next year with basically same roster ? 

Well yeah.  They made the playoffs and lost the division title on a tie break.  What did you expect an off-season roster overhaul?  Wasn’t going to happen.  They will add peace or two (one of which was Wentz) and tweak it but the core of the team is already in place.  

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

not happening 

It’s part of pattern some have here.

Fan comes up with completely unrealistic expectation.

Fan ignores people who tell them it’s unrealistic.

Team doesn’t do unrealistic expectation.

Fan gets mad at Ballard for not doing their unrealistic expectation and says Ballard sucks because of it.

We are at step four right now with Colts free agency.

8 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Johnu and Hunter are both gone. Unless they trade for Ertz idk who else is available.

There are several available. Given we have two TEs locked down that are great blockers, and the quote is about "play making" TEs, you can likely limit the searching to move/detached TEs.

IMO, Ballard was never boing to spend 10+ on a TE like those guys.

13 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Johnu and Hunter are both gone. Unless they trade for Ertz idk who else is available.

Big name and play making tightend are not the same thing.  My guess is that he’s looking for the next Johnu or Hunter although I wouldn’t rule out a trade for Ertz or signing him if he gets released if the price is right.  

As if Wednesday night, it does not look like Phil has cut Ertz.   They appear to be holding out for a draft pick.  

If that’s the case I hope Ballard would look at former Arizona TE Dan Arnold.  

Those would appear to be the last two NFL options.   Otherwise, it’s wait 6 weeks for the draft, and from what I can read this doesn’t look like a good class of TE’s.

40 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Big name and play making tightend are not the same thing.  My guess is that he’s looking for the next Johnu or Hunter although I wouldn’t rule out a trade for Ertz or signing him if he gets released if the price is right.  

In the Market, the draft is not the “market” both Johnu and Hunter have big play capability. Outside of them I’m not sure what other impact TE’s are available. 

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There are several available. Given we have two TEs locked down that are great blockers, and the quote is about "play making" TEs, you can likely limit the searching to move/detached TEs.

IMO, Ballard was never boing to spend 10+ on a TE like those guys.

That list is very limited Imo. Outside of Arnold who I don’t believe will end up leaving Arizona, Name me a play making or move TE who plays half as well as Johnu or Hunter? There aren’t many!

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Eagles gave Ertz permission to see a trade, but IMO we already have play making TEs that are simply underutilized. 

If we are looking for a 3rd, Ertz is fine, but I wouldn't pay a lot for his age and diminishing production. I'd go younger.

I think we know what we have in Doyle - a reliable TE.  Very solid blocker.  Solid possession type TE, good hands, good in short yardage and mid-yard situations, not very explosive and not really a 'play maker'.

Burton showed flashes of playmaking ability, but his ability to stay healthy is concerning.  He also seems to make plays when he's not really a focal point of the opposing D.  I like Burton, plus he has familiarity with Reich and Wentz.. but I don't see him being a TE who is going to consistently make plays when teams are trying to exclude him from making plays, but rather when he's kind of a second thought (as opposed to guys like Kelce, Hunter, Ertz, Gronk, even Ebron his first year here - guys who teams knew were going to be targeted but could still make plays).

MAC is still pretty young and is a transition guy from basketball.  So I'm a bit reluctant to say we know what we have with him.  He had a huge week 2 with 5 catches for 111 yards, then 3 for 50 and a TD in week 3 and 1 for 13 and a TD in week 4.  Shut down/injured game 5, missed game 6, then had solid outings in games 7 and 8 (3 for 43, 3 for 37) and went pretty quiet the rest of the year.  I don't know if that was a nagging injury, if it was something to do with the game plan, or what... I don't think it was the emergence of Burton as Burton had his biggest games early on as well and Doyle didn't really do much as a receiver last year.  Part of me thinks MAC may have been sort of like Marcus Johnson (once he had a few solid games and teams put him in their game plan they could neutralize him).  MAC also seems to be a solid blocker.

Anyway, I don't doubt that our TEs are underutilized but I do doubt that we have any true playmakers that can do it on a consistent basis (like a Hunter, Kelce, Ertz, etc.).  I tend to think Reich really likes a true playmaker at TE (evidenced by Ertz in Philly and Ebron his first year here) and it seems obvious that Wentz really likes a playmaking TE.  

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

In the Market, the draft is not the “market” both Johnu and Hunter have big play capability. Outside of them I’m not sure what other impact TE’s are available. 

Who are we to say what the market is to Chris Ballard?  The market could very well be the draft to him.

Also who knows what he has cooking.  No one saw the Buckner trade coming last year until it happened or even knew he was available.  

Just because it’s not one of the big name free agents out there doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his eyes on something.  

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

That list is very limited Imo. Outside of Arnold who I don’t believe will end up leaving Arizona, Name me a play making or move TE who plays half as well as Johnu or Hunter? There aren’t many!

IMO, Darnold will follow the money. AZ just picked up 6-4 AJ Green which will likely reduce Arnolds already timid usage. 

Regarding Jonnu Smith, he's more about well roundedness, than a move target. Great YAC, but yet to break 500 yards. IMO, he can be more of a receiving threat if targeted more. He's also only 6-3. IMO, he's overpaid unless they intend to unlock him a bit.

As far as guys remaining that are true receiving threats. 

Jared Cook - older, but still very fast at 6-5, and could be on a moderate one year rental.

Kyle Rudolph - another aging but great pass catching threat that would be cheap.

Jacob Hollister - younger, and more of a receiving TE. Will be cheap. 

Don't assume Burton won't be back. He'll be cheap, and we know Reich likes him. IMO, he was used too much last year over MAC, and more slot/HB than TE to me.

Arnold though is my bargain favorite.

Archived