Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts A Better Team Now than Last Season (Just in General)... if you had to choose either Yes or no which would you pick?

Boss7894

Are the Colts A Better Team Now than Last Season (Just in General)... if you had to choose either Yes or no which would you pick?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. If You had to make an Educated Guess Are They A Better Team Now than Last Season?

• If I had to Choose one or the other I would choose "Yes"
    • If I had to Choose one or the other I would choose "No"

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no, but others have said it's still early in FA and the draft obviously hasn't happened but as of now we have lost more than we have gained. You can argue Wentz is a good replacement for Rivers but I think it's a wash as Wentz is coming off a bad year. But the absence of a LT is the glowing issue here. We also have yet to re-sign Hilton or have a clear replacement for him. Even so, if we did sign someone to fill these holes or we replace them in the draft then we haven't really improved have we? We would have gotten younger but still.

This is why before FA I was a fan of nabbing either a veteran LT or a major WR. All of the WRs were not available and getting a veteran LT remains to be seen. If we get an OT in the draft and they anchor the team for years that's great. If we also re-sign Hilton that's great. But won't have gotten immediately better.

All that said it's early. The players we have will grow and develop. Ballard may throw a curve ball or have something up his sleeve (no one saw Buckner coming). I think in the worst case scenario, bringing back a few vets, trying our hand at a younger QB who may have upside with a fresh start, and just getting younger at LT and other positions is still something I wouldn't be bummed about. Losing premium position players for a few years in a row does not make it easy to propel the team forward, but yet we've been doing it since Luck left. There's time left this offseason to do it again.

I think the QB play will improve from last year. There were throws that Rivers simply couldnt make. He had decent escapablitiy but could not run with the ball at all. Wentz checks all the boxes of an elite QB he just needs to get his head straight. if that happens this could be a magical season. 

And for those of you whining about the lack of signings just be patient. I cant believe how quickly you forget the kind of GM Ballard is. He is not going to overpay for anyone. The defense needs a pure pass rusher another linebacker and another corner and all of those can be taken in free agency and the draft. I am sure Ballard will drop back from 21 to collect more picks as well.

Lets be patient friends 

AC was a huge loss. I will say this though. I think what Ballard is looking at is a three headed monster at RB, and a guy like Big Q being the linchpin of the oline. Big guys live to run block and just tee off on defenders. You don't have to worry about those stupid ineligible penalties on those plays. Just take the guy in front of you out of the play. Much easier for a younger guy to come into a situation like that. He also might be banking on his secondary to get more coverage sacks and looking to play more ground an pound on the offensive side of the ball. The 4-2-5 concept can be extremely effective if you have a safety who can hit. Pittman has proven he's a baller in the run game. That's also a very good situation for a guy like Wentz to come into.

The play calling will just have to be right and using formations to get Pittman involved in the deep game and still selling the deep ball and the run. It really does come down to Wentz but he's still got the brains to make all the reads he needs to. You definitely don't have the problems a team like Pittsburgh does right now.

I think people are delusional if they think we are better now than last year. Pretty much the only chance of improvement from all the moves made so far is Wentz. And he needs to be MVP Wentz in order for that to happen. Can it happen? Sure. Is it likely? Not really.

Well no the Colts aren’t better as of now.  No starting DEs, LT, No alpha receiver or TE.  So right now this really isn’t. Debatable at the moment.  The only way we could possibly be better is if Campbell and Pittman are sudden stars and Wentz is way better than Rivers.  I don’t think any of that will be the case in 2021.

Hard to say what the final record will be vs. last year, but I think all the Debbie Downers who are just certain this team is going to be worse are simply ignoring the total roster. Out of 22 starers on offense and defense, we have lost at most 4 important contributors (Rivers, Castonzo, Walker, Autry). There are two key pieces yet to be determined (TY, Houston), but based on the fact that neither of them has yet to sign with another team, the most likely scenario for either of them is a return to Indy, unless they decide to retire.

The Rivers departure is covered by Wentz. I thought Rivers was excellent last year, but there were also times when his physical limitations were so glaring that it really hurt this offense and potentially limited what they could do. The real gift Rivers brought to this offense was steady leadership and a level of experience that got this team in the right play more often than not. In my opinion, that is the only area where we could see a drop off in performance to Wentz. However, I think Wentz' physical tools more than make up for that. In what I am told constantly is exponentially the most important position on the field, I think we got better.

How the Castonzo departure unfolds is still the main story to unfold. There are still veteran options out there who would be every bit as good as 33 year old Anthony Castonzo, and there are several really promising players in this draft who can be had in round 2 or 3 who might be a dropoff from Castonzo today, but nothing close to the armageddon predicted by many here. I'm hopefull that Ballard will double dip at OT in the draft, taking one of the top guys as well as an Alaric Jackson or someone like that later in the draft.

While I didn't like losing Autry (especially to TN), I think we sometimes as fans tend to overvalue our own guys. It could potentially have an outsized impact due to the fact that their pass rush was so bad, he will certainly be an upgrade. However, I don't see him as anything more than an average NFL starter.

The loss of Walker, while relevant, is not particularly consequential. The team was already moving away from him. His leadership was great, but I think it make sense for DL to assume that mantle as leader of the LB room. I do think he was a great get for the Browns and will make them betterl

HERE IS THE KEY!!!!!!

The rest of the roster is filled almost completely with guys who are still in their ascendancy in terms of ability. People are being willfully blind to the fact that our roster is incredibly inexperienced, and will be better in 2021 just because of that alone. Even superstars like Q and The Maniac ARE ONLY GOING INTO THEIR 4TH YEAR! They are still getting better. When you include the rest of our key young contributors like, Taylor, Pittman, Campbell (if he can stay healthy), Pascal, Patmon, Glow, Smith, Blackmon, Willis, RYS, Tell, Rodgers, Okereke and the rest of that young LB room, as well as a whole host of others, there is NO WAY this team goes backwards in terms of overall roster talent. Because of this maturation, we should be as good/better at 8/11 positions on offense, the only questions being C, LT and TE. I think we will be just as good at C, but I don't think Kelly is going to get a lot better. At TE, we will be just as good (give me more MAC!), and we will answer the questions at LT. And yet somehow, some of you can look at this and think we will be worse. lol

On defense the situation is even more striking. We have, I believe, two guys at their prime, Buckner and Moore. We have one guy who could be dropping off in Rhodes (and Houston if we re-sign him). I can't think of any other significant contributors on our defense who have been in the league more than 3 years. They are all still learning how to play in the NFL. While I would have liked to keep Autry, it's not exactly like the cupboard is bare when it comes to young talent. Lewis, Turay and Banogu have had a few years to sit and learn behind more experienced guys, and now is their time to show what they can do. I look for one (or more) of these guys to take a significant step forward this year and be an upgrade to Autry on the d-line. Indy has given up on some pass rushers too soon, Basham and Hughes come to mind immediately, who just needed a couple years to develop into solid NFL players.

I could go on, but this is already way too long. In short, if you think this team is going to be worse, fine. Go drink a beer and take a Xanax to calm your nerves. But you're completely wrong, and I just told you why.

39 minutes ago, Hark said:

Hard to say what the final record will be vs. last year, but I think all the Debbie Downers who are just certain this team is going to be worse are simply ignoring the total roster. Out of 22 starers on offense and defense, we have lost at most 4 important contributors (Rivers, Castonzo, Walker, Autry). There are two key pieces yet to be determined (TY, Houston), but based on the fact that neither of them has yet to sign with another team, the most likely scenario for either of them is a return to Indy, unless they decide to retire.

The Rivers departure is covered by Wentz. I thought Rivers was excellent last year, but there were also times when his physical limitations were so glaring that it really hurt this offense and potentially limited what they could do. The real gift Rivers brought to this offense was steady leadership and a level of experience that got this team in the right play more often than not. In my opinion, that is the only area where we could see a drop off in performance to Wentz. However, I think Wentz' physical tools more than make up for that. In what I am told constantly is exponentially the most important position on the field, I think we got better.

How the Castonzo departure unfolds is still the main story to unfold. There are still veteran options out there who would be every bit as good as 33 year old Anthony Castonzo, and there are several really promising players in this draft who can be had in round 2 or 3 who might be a dropoff from Castonzo today, but nothing close to the armageddon predicted by many here. I'm hopefull that Ballard will double dip at OT in the draft, taking one of the top guys as well as an Alaric Jackson or someone like that later in the draft.

While I didn't like losing Autry (especially to TN), I think we sometimes as fans tend to overvalue our own guys. It could potentially have an outsized impact due to the fact that their pass rush was so bad, he will certainly be an upgrade. However, I don't see him as anything more than an average NFL starter.

The loss of Walker, while relevant, is not particularly consequential. The team was already moving away from him. His leadership was great, but I think it make sense for DL to assume that mantle as leader of the LB room. I do think he was a great get for the Browns and will make them betterl

HERE IS THE KEY!!!!!!

The rest of the roster is filled almost completely with guys who are still in their ascendancy in terms of ability. People are being willfully blind to the fact that our roster is incredibly inexperienced, and will be better in 2021 just because of that alone. Even superstars like Q and The Maniac ARE ONLY GOING INTO THEIR 4TH YEAR! They are still getting better. When you include the rest of our key young contributors like, Taylor, Pittman, Campbell (if he can stay healthy), Pascal, Patmon, Glow, Smith, Blackmon, Willis, RYS, Tell, Rodgers, Okereke and the rest of that young LB room, as well as a whole host of others, there is NO WAY this team goes backwards in terms of overall roster talent. Because of this maturation, we should be as good/better at 8/11 positions on offense, the only questions being C, LT and TE. I think we will be just as good at C, but I don't think Kelly is going to get a lot better. At TE, we will be just as good (give me more MAC!), and we will answer the questions at LT. And yet somehow, some of you can look at this and think we will be worse. lol

On defense the situation is even more striking. We have, I believe, two guys at their prime, Buckner and Moore. We have one guy who could be dropping off in Rhodes (and Houston if we re-sign him). I can't think of any other significant contributors on our defense who have been in the league more than 3 years. They are all still learning how to play in the NFL. While I would have liked to keep Autry, it's not exactly like the cupboard is bare when it comes to young talent. Lewis, Turay and Banogu have had a few years to sit and learn behind more experienced guys, and now is their time to show what they can do. I look for one (or more) of these guys to take a significant step forward this year and be an upgrade to Autry on the d-line. Indy has given up on some pass rushers too soon, Basham and Hughes come to mind immediately, who just needed a couple years to develop into solid NFL players.

I could go on, but this is already way too long. In short, if you think this team is going to be worse, fine. Go drink a beer and take a Xanax to calm your nerves. But you're completely wrong, and I just told you why.

It is just simply too early to tell. Free Agency isn't over yet and the Draft hasn't happened either. Winning 11 games is tough to do though so winning 11 again will take a team that is good at worse with great chemistry. I guess at times we have made winning 11 or more games look easy because Manning did it 8 times here and Luck won exactly 11 his first 3 years, Rivers did it last season. That isn't the norm normally unless you are the Pats in the Brady and BB days. Usually 11 wins is the automatic ticket punch to the playoffs but had the playoffs not been extended to 7 teams last season we would've missed. The AFC is that loaded.

35 minutes ago, Hark said:

HERE IS THE KEY!!!!!!

I hope you are right about Wentz but I would be surprised if he were clearly better than Rivers was last year.  I think PR covered up some ugly the 1st half of the season when the running game was subpar and receivers were injured.

I wanted Wentz, but from what I observed we had good QB play.  Borderline excellent  I agree with some plays limited with PR, but his release and reads were Manning like.  I expect our sack totals to skyrocket (regardless of line play )with Wentz which doesn’t have to be terrible with extended plays washing out the sacks and leading to more big plays.

You can keep the Xanax and I prefer whiskey over beer, but thanks for the advice.

I think we will struggle to have the results we had last year, unless Wentz is significantly better than Rivers and either PC or MP emerge as top tier receiving talent.  I could see it happening, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I do think a healthy Ertz would be a tremendous upgrade, but will we get him and will he be healthy.

TY and Houston would almost certainly not make us better a year older.  I want JH but am ready to say thank you for your service to TY.  If he is our best receiving option again, I don’t see how that makes us better.

I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic about Indy this coming season, but there can be no serious debate about us being better than last year right now unless Wentz returns to all pro status almost immediately.

frankly, I don’t understand how serious fans can look at what is going on right now with a we got this attitude.  I totally disagree with the sky is falling crowd too.  We are in a state of flux and the situation is unclear at best.  All of our question marks were at precisely the most difficult positions to fill.  It’s almost comical and how CB deals with this will be the true indicator of his worth.

so far I’ve liked what he’s done and we have a solid corps of solid players in non premium positions.  We needed that because we sucked so bad.  But we’ve got big contracts coming due with those non premium positions.  Not clear how this will play out.

if Wentz is great, we’re good.  If he’s PR level which is very good, we will struggle.  

If Pittman emerged as an alpha type we will be fine there .  I could see it happening, but I’m not sure he has the tools for that kind of production.

defensively, I don’t share your optimism.  We were exposed at times last year, and with rostered players right now, I don’t see how are better.  Buck was great but there is no reason to think he will be better.  Blackmon is a major key.  If he improves over the top we are going to be a lot better off but he was a failed corner for Utah, so it’s not a given IMo.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is just simply too early to tell. Free Agency isn't over yet and the Draft hasn't happened either. Winning 11 games is tough to do though so winning 11 again will take a team that is good at worse with great chemistry. I guess at times we have made winning 11 or more games look easy because Manning did it 8 times here and Luck won exactly 11 his first 3 years, Rivers did it last season. That isn't the norm normally unless you are the Pats in the Brady and BB days. Usually 11 wins is the automatic ticket punch to the playoffs but had the playoffs not been extended to 7 teams last season we would've missed. The AFC is that loaded.

@2006Coltsbestever, I definitely agree that winning 11 or more next year will be a tall order, and at the end of the day, so many other things like injuries,etc. factor in, that predicting a record is a wild guess at best. The point of my post was that the overall roster is in its ascendancy, and even losing Rivers, Castonzo, Autry and Walker, this roster is still loaded with guys who we should reasonably expect to be better in 2021 than 2020. Does that mean we will win more games? Nah, as you know, a handful of bad breaks and crazy bounces over the course of the year can turn 12-4 into 8-8  or visa versa in a hurry. But sometimes all the negativity on this board in the face of how well this team is constructed makes me a little nuts.

53 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I think people are delusional if they talk as if development can't happen to the point that the team will be better. 

It's not about a binary "it can't happen" or "will for sure happen". It's all about likelihoods. How likely is it that Banogu, Lewis and Kemoko develop to a level where they can play as well as Autry, Houston and Muhammad did last year? This is with the knowledge that both Banogu and Lewis have been horrible for 2 and 3 years respectively and Kemoko who I think is our brightest hope at DE was underwhelming after returning from that horrible injury, reportedly still had pains and had to undergo yet another off-season surgery to address that pain? And notice - none of them have ever played more than 30% of the snaps(i.e. situational pass-rusher in the case of Kemoko). What's the chance? That they both expand their roles and are much better than what they've been so far?

Again, this is not about impossibility, it's about likelihood. Do the same for LT... what's the chance whoever we get in the draft is better than AC next year? Close to zero IMO. Do the same with the WR corpse(I actually think this is much closer and we might actually have similar level of play even if we lose TY, because we have high end talent that is young and actually has the outlooks for improvement). Etc.

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

That is a far different stance than saying fans are delusional. 

No, it's not...if I think the chance is close to zero(which I do for a lot of those - EDGE, LT), it is delusional to think you will be better.

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

No, it's not...if I think the chance is close to zero(which I do for a lot of those - EDGE, LT), it is delusional to think you will be better.

So be it. I'm delusional. BTW, having a great time. I truly love the direction Ballard is going, and the moves he is making. I really dislike GM's who knee jerk, overreact, and makes moves to satisfy the fan base. He is looking at the waters way ahead, and fans are concerned about the waters right around the boat. 

14 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well no the Colts aren’t better as of now.  No starting DEs, LT, No alpha receiver or TE.  So right now this really isn’t. Debatable at the moment.  The only way we could possibly be better is if Campbell and Pittman are sudden stars and Wentz is way better than Rivers.  I don’t think any of that will be the case in 2021.

Alpha receiver?  We RUNNIN the ball brother!!

7 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Alpha receiver?  We RUNNIN the ball brother!!

I hear you man but it seems like teams either need a nickname type defense or an all pro type of receiving threat to win the title.  Usually both.  The Colts are a few players away from having a nickname d, but only one player away from having a top type of pass catcher.

As of now it’s a net negative with losses the likes of Castonzo, Autry, Rivers/Brissett (the latter being huge for the locker room), and Walker so far with some re-signings, the Wentz trade, and depth signings to offset them. Still a lot of off-season left to fill out the roster.

• 1 month later...

Far better. The most important position in football is QB, and Colts upgraded huge.

People really forget or don’t know how good Wentz is with Frank. Best Oline he’s ever played behind. Great running game. Add a TE (maybe the rook comes in?) and this O is lights out.

For the future of our team, absolutely. For next year, it depends on the young guys' development.

Paye/Turay, Lewis, Ya-Sin, Okereke, Pittman Jr, Blackmon, and JT are all expected to start and we are counting on them making a significant leap THIS year

On 3/24/2021 at 7:33 AM, Thebrashandthebold said:

So far we have picked a group of bums in free agency. It isn't hard to imagine any of them starting or not being a serious liability if they do. I thought we had too many holes to fill in just the draft alone but that appears to be where we are headed.

New Colts Fan laughed at this and I probably overstated it but the fact is that two of our most important choices in the draft and free agency are battling achilles issues and who knows if they play this year or not. I know their are projections but these are serious injuries. If they can't play soon, I could see us at 9-8 or 10-7. If they can play and contribute greatly we may be better.

I waited to vote until after the draft and Ballards FA time was over (after the draft as well). I think we got better. You added pass rush that can hopefully get to the QB more this year. We also have added some great depth with both the o and d line. This is huge for a long season. Wentz adds a good dynamic IMO and should be able to come in and allow a good offensive flow. The run game hopefully gets even better now that Taylor had a year to figure it out and having Mack hopefully show himself this year as well. TY and Campbell need to have a better season so again hopefully the amount of players needing to prove themselves helps in a big way this year. 

On 5/13/2021 at 3:10 PM, compuls1v3 said:

You should re-do this poll now that the draft is over.

It still would be “IF” vs reality.  If Wentz can play like he did early in his career, if Kwity and the new guys can be better than Houston and Autry, if Mack and Campbell can stay healthy, if a backup LB can be as good as Walker, if the young guys improve, etc….

I think our Oline depth is better, but just like all those ifs, that remains to be proven.

So those who think we’re better than last season are counting on a lot of ifs.  

41 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It still would be “IF” vs reality.  If Wentz can play like he did early in his career, if Kwity and the new guys can be better than Houston and Autry, if Mack and Campbell can stay healthy, if a backup LB can be as good as Walker, if the young guys improve, etc….

I think our Oline depth is better, but just like all those ifs, that remains to be proven.

So those who think we’re better than last season are counting on a lot of ifs.  

Every team in the league has a bunch of "ifs"

I voted "Yes" with my reasons as follows. 

I believe Wentz will rebound to his former self as he has the offensive line, offensive weapons, and ground game that will allow him to ease into a comfort zone.

Tevi appears to be better depth than we had at swing tackle than last year and a healthy Fisher is an upgrade over AC, imo.

I feel Paris will be relatively healthy and show what many of believe could be something special.

The additions of Paye and Mayo, when healthy, should be at least a push over last years starters. And if Lewis progresses like he did last year and Turay can stay healthy...wow!

I also believe RYS will get it together this year, strengthening the CB position.

Archived