Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts A Better Team Now than Last Season (Just in General)... if you had to choose either Yes or no which would you pick?

Boss7894

Are the Colts A Better Team Now than Last Season (Just in General)... if you had to choose either Yes or no which would you pick?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. If You had to make an Educated Guess Are They A Better Team Now than Last Season?

• If I had to Choose one or the other I would choose "Yes"
    • If I had to Choose one or the other I would choose "No"

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Agree with everything you said here besides the WR group. But a lot of room to agree to disagree with that group.

As of NOW:

Our leading receiver has 629 yards and 5 touchdowns. (Pascal)

Pittman hopefully improves.

Pascal is solid but not great.

Campbell is a HUGE if. (Almost can’t even count him at this point)

Hopefully Patmon, Dulin and Harris improve but they did almost absolutely nothing last year.

So much if in that group. If we find a better TE threat, it should help them but the WR group is def a weak spot on this team in my opinion.

We will see what the plan is I guess. Colts haven’t done much of anything at this point.

Give Pittman 3.5 games that he missed and he would have surpassed Pascal in yards and receptions (possibly TDs, but doubtful).  

I'd like to see TY back, just because he's been a good Colt and I like the guy... but if we lose him, we're not losing much more production than what we got from Pascal.  

I think Pittman was showing great improvement as the season went on and from all I can see, he's working his tail off this offseason and have no reason to think he won't continue to improve.  

I don't expect Pascal to get much better, but certainly don't expect him to be worse.

You're right, Patmon did nothing (he was a healthy scratch the entire regular season) and Dulin and Harris did little.  Harris, IMO, did enough to show he's got serious potential to be a threat with his speed and quickness, even if it's in limited packages.  

Regardless, if we lose TY he's pretty easily replaceable at this point in his career -- TBH, I think he'd be missed more in the locker room than on the field.  If we do lose TY, I expect we'll address WR in FA or the draft.  Even if we don't, I still won't be shocked if we add another WR.  

19 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Give Pittman 3.5 games that he missed and he would have surpassed Pascal in yards and receptions (possibly TDs, but doubtful).  

I'd like to see TY back, just because he's been a good Colt and I like the guy... but if we lose him, we're not losing much more production than what we got from Pascal.  

I think Pittman was showing great improvement as the season went on and from all I can see, he's working his tail off this offseason and have no reason to think he won't continue to improve.  

I don't expect Pascal to get much better, but certainly don't expect him to be worse.

You're right, Patmon did nothing (he was a healthy scratch the entire regular season) and Dulin and Harris did little.  Harris, IMO, did enough to show he's got serious potential to be a threat with his speed and quickness, even if it's in limited packages.  

Regardless, if we lose TY he's pretty easily replaceable at this point in his career -- TBH, I think he'd be missed more in the locker room than on the field.  If we do lose TY, I expect we'll address WR in FA or the draft.  Even if we don't, I still won't be shocked if we add another WR.  

To be fair hilton hasn't had  luck throwing to  him. Rivers didn't  have much chemistry with him til late. Brissett was average at best.

Yes....its a legit question....but because of its timing, it is unanswerable and it serves no positive purpose. If you take apart a motor to make it better or faster and are surveying which parts you need to replace, and which ones just need some honing....and someone says, Is it faster or slower than is was when you took it apart?....it serves no positive purpose. But you can bet that the person putting it back together, has every intention of making it better and faster. 

First of all its based on a faulty premise....that we are supposed to be better at this time. To quote a great old blues guitarist by the name of Willie McTell....what man say dat?

Every year, teams lose players. But some years, some teams lose more value than other teams....because their contract structures coincide differently, players suddenly retire, or injuries take them out of the game. There is an assumption by fans, that FA is the way to fix that. Sometimes it can be an opportunity, such as the case of the Colts nabbing Defo, when the timing was right. 

As has been said, when the Colts hit the field on game one day, is the time to as this question if ........ IF you think that you can tell before the players have even played. I find that idea hilarious, truthfully. What is it about some fans who choose to think that all players are linear, plug and play based off their previous performance? There may be some players that stop developing once they leave college. The vast majority get better because the coaching, training, diet, etc is the best in the world at the NFL level. So in fact....a team can lose players, and still be better because of development. Not to mention the possible impact of injured skill players returning to the Colts. 

Chris Ballard is just the right amount of shrewd tough, forward thinking, and draft/development based smart. He freaking gets it. I have no doubt that the Colts will be a better team on day one. No....freaking....doubt. In fact, I called my brother yesterday and made a statement I have never made about my Colts when they were in this much flux. I told him they were going to the SB. He laughed of course, but I don't give a meadow muffin. Carson Wentz to Frank and the midwest after feeling likely disrespected in his previous surroundings?....look out. 

Lastly, so many fans seem to forget that other teams players get cut. Don't underestimate the fact that Ballard may see opportunities that will present themselves as teams struggle to not only get under the cap, but get under far enough to get a player they really need. Patience grasshoppers....

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

To be fair hilton hasn't had  luck throwing to  him. Rivers didn't  have much chemistry with him til late. Brissett was average at best.

I get that, but TY has been dealing with nagging injuries for several years now (14 GP in 2018, 10 in 2019, 15 in 2020 - last year being his healthiest year in his past 3).  He's a small WR who relies on speed and quickness, when his legs are not fully under him, he's very obviously a worse WR (compared to say a Larry Fitz or Julio Jones who can mask injuries impacting speed/agility with size/strength).  

I think a lot of people have a misconception that TY is a star WR or a true #1.  He's definitely not this late in his career and he really never was.  Even with Luck throwing him the ball, the most receptions he has had in a single season is 91, two other times he had 82 and one other time he had 76.  The year he had 91 he did have an insane YPC and led the league in receiving yards, so maybe there is that one year where you could argue he was a true #1 (still, I think 100+ receptions is a benchmark for an upper level WR1 in the NFL).  

I get Rivers and TY had some chemistry issues, especially early in the season and part of that may have been a weird offseason - but still a veteran WR should be able to develop chemistry with a veteran/future HOF QB pretty quickly.  I mean, Reggie had immediate chemistry with Luck as a rookie and I'm sure could have developed chemistry with pretty much any higher end QB in the league off the bat (same goes for Marv and other truly elite WRs in the NFL).  

The way Pittman is projecting, I don't think it'd matter if we had Luck back this year or not - TY at best would be our #2 WR.  I think at this point in his career, he's probably better suited for the slot.  My guess is TY is going to be looking for very high $ (good for him, I would do the same), but unless some desperate team overpays him (likely to later be disappointed) he's not going to get it.  I am not behind the scenes, but I would also guess Ballard threw an offer at him for what he's actually worth at this point in his career and said we can negotiate some to bring you back based on your leadership skills and how loved you are as a Colt as long as it is within a reasonable range, but we're not going to simply throw more $ at you than maybe some other teams just to keep you around.

I like TY.  He's been a great Colt and fun to watch.  He's a very good WR when he is healthy, but I get some sense of him thinking he's better than he is and some sense that fans and media portray him as better than he is due to his funny personality and his TD dance, etc.  TY consistently says "Marv helped Reggie, Reggie helped me, I'm helping the young guys" or something similar... fact of the matter is, TY isn't near the same level as Marv or Reggie (a HOFer and a future HOFer - TY will likely never be a finalist, let alone a HOFer).

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I get that, but TY has been dealing with nagging injuries for several years now (14 GP in 2018, 10 in 2019, 15 in 2020 - last year being his healthiest year in his past 3).  He's a small WR who relies on speed and quickness, when his legs are not fully under him, he's very obviously a worse WR (compared to say a Larry Fitz or Julio Jones who can mask injuries impacting speed/agility with size/strength).  

I think a lot of people have a misconception that TY is a star WR or a true #1.  He's definitely not this late in his career and he really never was.  Even with Luck throwing him the ball, the most receptions he has had in a single season is 91, two other times he had 82 and one other time he had 76.  The year he had 91 he did have an insane YPC and led the league in receiving yards, so maybe there is that one year where you could argue he was a true #1 (still, I think 100+ receptions is a benchmark for an upper level WR1 in the NFL).  

I get Rivers and TY had some chemistry issues, especially early in the season and part of that may have been a weird offseason - but still a veteran WR should be able to develop chemistry with a veteran/future HOF QB pretty quickly.  I mean, Reggie had immediate chemistry with Luck as a rookie and I'm sure could have developed chemistry with pretty much any higher end QB in the league off the bat (same goes for Marv and other truly elite WRs in the NFL).  

The way Pittman is projecting, I don't think it'd matter if we had Luck back this year or not - TY at best would be our #2 WR.  I think at this point in his career, he's probably better suited for the slot.  My guess is TY is going to be looking for very high $ (good for him, I would do the same), but unless some desperate team overpays him (likely to later be disappointed) he's not going to get it.  I am not behind the scenes, but I would also guess Ballard threw an offer at him for what he's actually worth at this point in his career and said we can negotiate some to bring you back based on your leadership skills and how loved you are as a Colt as long as it is within a reasonable range, but we're not going to simply throw more $ at you than maybe some other teams just to keep you around.

I like TY.  He's been a great Colt and fun to watch.  He's a very good WR when he is healthy, but I get some sense of him thinking he's better than he is and some sense that fans and media portray him as better than he is due to his funny personality and his TD dance, etc.  TY consistently says "Marv helped Reggie, Reggie helped me, I'm helping the young guys" or something similar... fact of the matter is, TY isn't near the same level as Marv or Reggie (a HOFer and a future HOFer - TY will likely never be a finalist, let alone a HOFer).

Honestly  I we'll be ok at wr either way. Pass rush looks  the most concerning  to me with Houston  and autry not signed. Lewis, banagou haven't  showed much and turay has to stay healthy. Cb should be fine. Tell, moore, rodgers, ya sin

On 3/18/2021 at 4:56 AM, Indeee said:

1) Needed upgrade on CB. Potentially resigning Rhodes and having Marvin Tell coming back does not fulfill this.

2) Needed upgrade at Edge Rusher. Not even addressed and even if Justin Houston resigned does not fulfill this.

3) Needed upgrade at TE. Potentially resigning Cox does not fulfill this.

4) Needed a QB. Taken care of.

5) Needed a LT/upgrade. Not even addressed.

6) Needed upgrade at WR. Potentially resigning TY and Pascal does not fulfill this.

7) Have shown interest in a washed up Safety who might play LB. Potentially could replace Walker at LB as Safety is not a huge need.

8) Resigned an injury prone RB. Not needed and a wasted of 2mil

9) Claimed a jag DT from Texans. ??????

10) Potentially resign a ST guy and backup Safety. You feel the ground move? Yea, me neither.

**Overall assessment answer. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! and every Colts fan as of this moment should be appalled at this blatant and potentially Epic FAILURE

Epic overraction to not signing anyone when the offseason is a few days old. We have many more days to sign FA's then there is the draft and then teams will trim rosters to 53.  These three areas is where we have done our work since Ballard has been in charge. Has Ballard ever signed a free agent in the first 3 days? 

We will be a better team. As NCF pointed out the young guys will be improved. We will get Turay back from injury. Tell back from opting out.  I think we have found our QB for the foreseeable future that alone prevents failure. The offseason has just started. We will sign good players that fit what we are trying to do guaranteed 

I voted no, but its early yet, and there MIGHT be some trades to bring in needed spots

There will also be some June 1 cuts as well as cuts / trades before the season

If you think about it.....  Our pass rush from our defense ends really started to drop over the back end of the season.....

A rookie MIGHT bring some immediate improvement at DE

AC had an average year last year.  

LT is tough to play for a rookie, and it MIGHT get your QB injured to start a rookie, so I would RATHER have a vet

An average LT may be enough until we get a rookie ready to play

I could see the Colts taking TWO DEs early in the draft, start the better one of the 2.

I also see a need for TE at some point

On 3/18/2021 at 5:18 AM, bravo4460 said:

Agree with everything you said here besides the WR group. But a lot of room to agree to disagree with that group.

As of NOW:

Our leading receiver has 629 yards and 5 touchdowns. (Pascal)

Pittman hopefully improves.

Pascal is solid but not great.

Campbell is a HUGE if. (Almost can’t even count him at this point)

Hopefully Patmon, Dulin and Harris improve but they did almost absolutely nothing last year.

So much if in that group. If we find a better TE threat, it should help them but the WR group is def a weak spot on this team in my opinion.

We will see what the plan is I guess. Colts haven’t done much of anything at this point.

To be fair Harris  wasn't  used enough  to make much a difference  and patmon never really got a chance

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

Philip was better than Carson so until Wentz proves he can turn it around, I'd say we're worse off

But the realistically you can't answer this until after the draft 

I agree, it is amazing how many people in here just ignore how good of a year Rivers had. I felt comfortable with him at QB. I hope Wentz gives me that same feeling by mid-way through the season. With Rivers I felt like we could win 10 or 11 games and be competitive against elite teams which we were against Buffalo in the playoffs. With Wentz, not sure?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, it is amazing how many people in here just ignore how good of a year Rivers had. I felt comfortable with him at QB. I hope Wentz gives me that same feeling by mid-way through the season. With Rivers I felt like we could win 10 or 11 games and be competitive against elite teams which we were against Buffalo in the playoffs. With Wentz, not sure?

If wentz plays like 2017 wentz we will be way better  even if he completes a lower percentage  of passes. Our deep  game will be much improved  with wentz along with off platform  throws and the ability  to run for first downs. Wentz will use Pittman  the way he is supposed to be  used

Just now, Stephen said:

If wentz plays like 2017 wentz we will be way better  even if he completes a lower percentage  of passes. Our deep  game will be much improved  with wentz along with off platform  throws and the ability  to run for first downs. Wentz will use Pittman  the way he is supposed to be  used

Athletically Wentz is an upgrade over Rivers regardless but Rivers was so smart at changing plays at the line and making the right read a lot - going by last season he was. That is what is overlooked by some in here. If Wentz can mature and know the playbook like a coach then we will have something with his athletic ability and better arm strength. I was so comfortable with Rivers last year that I thought we would beat Buffalo and we really should've. I just felt like he would make a lot of right plays, etc.. Like Harbaugh did in 1995 for example.

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That's a big if

One that everyone overlooks

1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I guess CB is going to fill out our needs with undrafted free agents as soon as the draft is over.

I think CB is still trying to sign TYH and Houston.   I think those are priority.   Once those are decided,  we can figure out everything else.   

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not worried  about that. If he is bad then Eason gets his chance and he is looking  very good.

I mean you should be worried because if he fails we're out of the playoffs and out of a first rounder

We haven't seen Eason take a snap...

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think CB is still trying to sign TYH and Houston.   I think those are priority.   Once those are decided,  we can figure out everything else.   

I hope he does and for cheap would be even be better. The Rhodes signing for 6.5 Mill was great. I thought he would go for 8-9 Mill as I mentioned earlier.

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not worried  about that. If he is bad then Eason gets his chance and he is looking  very good.

When and where is Eason “looking very good” ??    Playing catch here on the West Coast with Pittman and Patmon?    Almost meaningless.

Eason needs to learn how to read and react to NFL defenses.   Throwing the football has never been a problem for him.  His mind needs to be turned into a Super Computer.   He’s got to make good decisions under great pressure in a split second.   Eason needs work on the mental side of the game far more than the physical side. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope he does and for cheap would be even be better. The Rhodes signing for 6.5 Mill was great. I thought he would go for 8-9 Mill as I mentioned earlier.

I think Hilton feels like another 6.5 signing.  I just don’t know if it will be a 1 or 2 year deal. 

But Houston feels more like an 8-9 million deal.  Again, not sure if it will be 1 or 2 years.  

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Or more logically actually one that noone overlooks.

You do realize that if Carson fails it doesn't matter how much money Ballard spends or who he drafts, the Colts will not make the playoffs

The majority of this forum has seemingly guaranteed that Wentz will return to "form"..

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think Hilton feels like another 6.5 signing.  I just don’t know if it will be a 1 or 2 year deal. 

But Houston feels more like an 8-9 million deal.  Again, not sure if it will be 1 or 2 years.  

Yeah I can see Houston being the most pricey but even for 9 mill I would do it for 1 year. He still is solid good. TY has 7 mill written all over it IMO - probably for 2 years. TY can still give us 4 or 5 games where he is great like the old days, 4 or 5 good too, which is fine. He usually has 4 or 5 stinkers but a lot of WR's do.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When and where is Eason “looking very good” ??    Playing catch here on the West Coast with Pittman and Patmon?    Almost meaningless.

Eason needs to learn how to read and react to NFL defenses.   Throwing the football has never been a problem for him.  His mind needs to be turned into a Super Computer.   He’s got to make good decisions under great pressure in a split second.   Eason needs work on the mental side of the game far more than the physical side. 

He is looking good from having professional coaching for a season.

He is looking good having his head in this offense for a season.

He is looking really good for getting an up close and personal season of watching Phillip Rivers run this offense.

And let's hope watching Rivers leadership proves very good for him.

And building friendships and learning the speed and routes with his teammates was far from almost meaningless for Manning. It consumed him.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

He is looking really good for getting an up close and personal season of watching Phillip Rivers run this offense.

And building friendships and learning the speed and routes with his teammates was far from almost meaningless for Manning. It consumed him.

Agreed I feel good about Eason. He is putting  in the work both physically  and  mentally.  He will most likely  be the backup 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I can see Houston being the most pricey but even for 9 mill I would do it for 1 year. He still is solid good. TY has 7 mill written all over it IMO - probably for 2 years. TY can still give us 4 or 5 games where he is great like the old days, 4 or 5 good too, which is fine. He usually has 4 or 5 stinkers but a lot of WR's do.

I think most the deals will be 1 year so that they come off the books next year so they can resign Leonard  and company 

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yes....   but none of those are nearly enough to proclaim him ready to be the backup.   Which is literally why Ballard publicly stated that he’s not sure if Eason is ready to be the backup.   

It’s about the mental.  And that takes time.  

Under Ballard, the Colts have been arguably the best drafting team in the NFL.

Are we a better team right now? Who knows, if we salvage Wentz we absolutely are, if we don't we are probably slightly worse. But the plan of Ballard will always to be to improve the most during the draft.

Xavier Rhodes coming back is huge but we still have a couple holes on this roster I would say, LT and DE along with a slight weakness in terms of pass catchers. Outside of that, I feel pretty good about every position group we have. We can fill those holes in the draft and be fine.

34 minutes ago, Maniac said:

AC gone. Nothing at LT.

Worse QB. I know Wentz was apparently good 4 years ago, last year he was Tolzien bad at times.

TY might be gone, none of the current guys are better than him yet.

I'll say no for now.

Yes, Wentz was only good four years ago.

Let's ignore him throwing for 4k yards 27 TD's and 7 INT's in 2019......

Or him throwing 3k yards 21 TD's and 7 INT's in 2018 in just 11 games...

Yep! He was only good in 2017! These are the well educated takes I come to this forum to see!

Archived