Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts A Better Team Now than Last Season (Just in General)... if you had to choose either Yes or no which would you pick?

Are the Colts A Better Team Now than Last Season (Just in General)... if you had to choose either Yes or no which would you pick?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. If You had to make an Educated Guess Are They A Better Team Now than Last Season?

• If I had to Choose one or the other I would choose "Yes"
    • If I had to Choose one or the other I would choose "No"

Vote and state your case!

If I had to make an educated guess I would say "Yes!" because this is a young team and they have playoff experience now and we're bringing so many of them same guys back.  When was the last time we have bought so many of our guys back from the previous year's team?  

• Like 1
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its not fair to vote until free agency and the draft are over .  

1) Needed upgrade on CB. Potentially resigning Rhodes and having Marvin Tell coming back does not fulfill this.   2) Needed upgrade at Edge Rusher. Not even addressed and even if Justin Hous

The answer  is no currently  until we address  wr cb1, Lt and te

It’s still early, but there is no

possible way right NOW they are better than last year.

They have not gained anyone (besides 1 rotational DL player and and only lost plenty of others....

Wentz isn’t going to be Andrew and put the team on his back every week.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

They have not gained anyone (besides 1 rotational DL player and and only lost plenty of others....

Wentz will be fine if he plays as well as Rivers did last year.

Very hard to vote when we are minus our LT1, CB1, and both our starting DEs.

Are we better if not considering those pending FAs, yes.

Are we worse if considering those FAs, yes.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

so far we only lost autry as of right now  in free agency and AC retired .  if we can pick up some free agents and resign our guys plus draft a tackle and edge rusher we can be better .  ITs up to ballard

Way too soon to vote but as things stand now the answer has to be "no". No LT, We needed a DE pass rusher and he is not signed. We lost Autry and no replacement is in hand. We have a QB who was the worst QB in the NFL last year to replace an old Rivers who played very well. TY Hilton is going to be gone and no replacement. Now all of this may be fixed but it isn't yet. The Patriots got a lot better and I think they win their division as things are now. 

• Like 2

Outside of the QB position which I believe is an upgrade to Wentz, I believe the rest of the roster is a downgrade. We haven’t improved at all at pass rush, and lost Autry and Castonzo and will probably lose Rhodes and Walker, maybe even Hilton. This team needs some better playmakers at WR and TE, and quality starters at DE, LT, and CB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t believe any of us can answer that question definitively at this point.  We are on Day 3 of Free Agency with a looooong way to go.  Cut downs from all teams are still pending publication and once that is fleshed out AND the draft completed, then we’ll have a better understanding of where we are.  I believe we wait until all of these occur before answering this question.  Just my opinion.  

Imagine all Colt players currently FAs all landing on the IR list at the same time last year. Don't see how that makes us a better team as of today, even with Wentz over Rivers. 

• Like 1

People need to understand that the OP knows this, and it's a legit question. I'm sure that they get that there are holes & of course they will fill some of those. But, realistically, we probably won't at this point.

The Colts have never waited until after day 3 to sign ANYBODY with Ballard. I'm completely shocked. 

I didn't want to sign any of the big guys at their contracts... but Everett(6 mil), Henry(12.5), Samuel(12), Jayon Brown(5.5), Yannick N.(13) are all reasonable below expectation deals that we could have gotten. 

AJ Green is another. Patrick Peterson, etc. it's confusing to say the least that we aren't at least CONNECTED to any solid starters. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Comparing to last year, Wentz doesn't have to be Andrew.  He has to be =/> Rivers.  I think he can be, so long as we address the LT position.

If the LT position is addressed, we should have as good or better a run game in 2021 than in 2020.  Mack is returning, so with Taylor, Mack, Hines, Wilkins we have a stacked RB group (assuming health).  

Even if we lose TY, I expect Pittman to continue improving and we get Campbell back, likely see more of Patmon, and we've got Pascal, plus Dulin and DeMichael Harris.  Say we lose TY, I think a healthy Campbell and an improved Pittman, Patmon plus Pascal and improved Dulin and Harris make it a wash.  I won't be shocked if we get TY back, or if we make another move at WR either early in draft or FA - but as of right now, I'd say (assuming a healthy Campbell and Pittman and improvements from other young guys) the WR group is going to be fine... more likely than not, I think we'll see an improvement here.

TE - say we stay with Doyle, MAC and Burton - we're the same.  Rumor is Ballard's in the market for a playmaking TE, so I expect this group to improve as well.

Wentz, if he gets back to his roots (I think Reich can help him here), has a stronger arm than Rivers and has more mobility.  Both of these traits, IMO, held Reich from really opening the playbook last year (we rarely pushed the ball far down the field).  So long as Wentz stays healthy and returns to a shell of his former MVP candidate self, I think we will be as good or better on O.  Biggest thing is to ensure we have that LT spot filled and I'd be very shocked if we don't address WR or TE (or both) and improve playmaking there.

On D, we lost Autry and we are waiting on Houston, Walker, and Rhodes.  I don't think we get Walker back and I don't see that as a loss as he was already seeing decreased playing time.  If we lose Houston and/or Rhodes I have great faith Ballard has a plan to fill those positions.  It is impossible to say, but I doubt we'll walk into 2021 worse on paper than we were in 2020 across the board.

Until FA/Draft are over, and really until all final roster cuts are made and we pick up guys from other teams cuts, etc... I think the original post is kind of a loaded question -- it'd be, IMO, more fair to ask this the week before opening day.  That said, Ballard and Reich have maintained all along that they like to build from the draft and coach young talent up.  This team is very young.  Ballard's done a very nice job filling in pieces here and there with vet signings (e.g., Houston, Rhodes, Autry, Glow), but for the most part we are very young on both sides of the ball and I expect we'll see most of the guys on our team improve with another year (PLUS a full off season, or at least a more normal one than last year).  If we fill in that LT spot, I expect our OL will be top 5 in the league again.  We should see improvements from JT and the return of Mack should bolster that unit which was already very good last year, plus improvements from our young WRs like Pittman, Patmon, Harris, Dulin and hopefully a fully healthy Campbell.  I expect TE to be addressed.  Then on D, I expect continued growth from Stewart, Turay, Lewis and possibly Banogu on the DL, improvements from Oke and maybe EJ Speed at LB (I expect improvement from Maniac, though he's already a first team all-pro) and then in the secondary from Ya-Sin, Blackmon, Willis and we have Tell returning as well.  I hope we retain Rhodes, but I'm sure Ballard has a plan for if we don't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I can't vote until Free Agency is over and the the Draft is over. If I really like the draft and we do more in Free Agency, then maybe we are better?? A lot depends on Wentz's play as well. Rivers was good last year in reality.

• Like 2

Yes they have who they feel is their franchise QB.  Everything else is an incomplete because the off-season isn’t over.  Ballard isn’t going to just ignore all these holes all the way through free agency and the draft.  Give it time.  He was never going to sign splash free agents because he doesn’t believe in it and he has to save money to extend guys like Smith, Leonard, and Nelson.  So unless your prepared to let them walk to get a free agent now just be patient.  

• Like 1

It’s way too soon to know anything for sure,  free agency has just started and the draft is six weeks away.

But in general,  I’ll say we WILL be better.  Because young players get better, and who has more young players than the Colts?

Ballard WILL address all issues.  LT, DEx2, CB1, WR and more depth everywhere.  Whether or not all will be the right calls is anyone’s guess.   But the team should get better because young players get better.  

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!    :thmup:

Absolutely not. Unless we resign all of our players back.. we lost our #1 CB, #1 WR, LT, 2DE, and LB.. we have t upgraded anywhere.. we downgraded in like 5 positions.. won’t speak on qb because no one knows yet about that spot but everywhere else we failed to address any need we have.

• Like 2

Kinda foolish to do this now with FA still underway and the draft not far off, then cuts afterward.

I’ll wait and see who is on the roster at camp.  Then make a judgement.

Alot of things should change by then.

I also find it amusing that some think that because its been “quiet” that Ballard is on vacation or something. In the past, things were announced almost without warning when it comes to Ballard.  The Buckner trade came as a surprise in April even tho they were pursuing it since the SB.  Ballard is working.... he just has a problem with exceeding what he considers the players value or risk threshold.

I expect a flood of our own guys soon signed, and a couple new guys. ..maybe even an extension.   I also expect Ballard to continue to look to improve the team thruout the year, like past seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Absolutely not. Unless we resign all of our players back.. we lost our #1 CB, #1 WR, LT, 2DE, and LB.. we have t upgraded anywhere.. we downgraded in like 5 positions.. won’t speak on qb because no one knows yet about that spot but everywhere else we failed to address any need we have.

Not to mention we lost our QB. I get that we did sign Wentz but can Wentz complete 68% of his passes, throw for 4200 yards, and 24 TD's to only 11 INT's like Rivers did? Maybe so but those are good numbers. I think he throws for a few more TD's but reaching the other numbers are questionable. Only 11 INT's is taking pretty good care of the ball too. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not to mention we lost our QB. I get that we did sign Wentz but can Wentz complete 68% of his passes, throw for 4200 yards, and 24 TD's to only 11 INT's like Rivers did? Maybe so but those are good numbers. I think he throws for a few more TD's but reaching the other numbers are questionable. Only 11 INT's is taking pretty good care of the ball too. 

Wentz can throw 40 plus tds with right team around him 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Comparing to last year, Wentz doesn't have to be Andrew.  He has to be =/> Rivers.  I think he can be, so long as we address the LT position.

If the LT position is addressed, we should have as good or better a run game in 2021 than in 2020.  Mack is returning, so with Taylor, Mack, Hines, Wilkins we have a stacked RB group (assuming health).  

Even if we lose TY, I expect Pittman to continue improving and we get Campbell back, likely see more of Patmon, and we've got Pascal, plus Dulin and DeMichael Harris.  Say we lose TY, I think a healthy Campbell and an improved Pittman, Patmon plus Pascal and improved Dulin and Harris make it a wash.  I won't be shocked if we get TY back, or if we make another move at WR either early in draft or FA - but as of right now, I'd say (assuming a healthy Campbell and Pittman and improvements from other young guys) the WR group is going to be fine... more likely than not, I think we'll see an improvement here.

TE - say we stay with Doyle, MAC and Burton - we're the same.  Rumor is Ballard's in the market for a playmaking TE, so I expect this group to improve as well.

Wentz, if he gets back to his roots (I think Reich can help him here), has a stronger arm than Rivers and has more mobility.  Both of these traits, IMO, held Reich from really opening the playbook last year (we rarely pushed the ball far down the field).  So long as Wentz stays healthy and returns to a shell of his former MVP candidate self, I think we will be as good or better on O.  Biggest thing is to ensure we have that LT spot filled and I'd be very shocked if we don't address WR or TE (or both) and improve playmaking there.

On D, we lost Autry and we are waiting on Houston, Walker, and Rhodes.  I don't think we get Walker back and I don't see that as a loss as he was already seeing decreased playing time.  If we lose Houston and/or Rhodes I have great faith Ballard has a plan to fill those positions.  It is impossible to say, but I doubt we'll walk into 2021 worse on paper than we were in 2020 across the board.

Until FA/Draft are over, and really until all final roster cuts are made and we pick up guys from other teams cuts, etc... I think the original post is kind of a loaded question -- it'd be, IMO, more fair to ask this the week before opening day.  That said, Ballard and Reich have maintained all along that they like to build from the draft and coach young talent up.  This team is very young.  Ballard's done a very nice job filling in pieces here and there with vet signings (e.g., Houston, Rhodes, Autry, Glow), but for the most part we are very young on both sides of the ball and I expect we'll see most of the guys on our team improve with another year (PLUS a full off season, or at least a more normal one than last year).  If we fill in that LT spot, I expect our OL will be top 5 in the league again.  We should see improvements from JT and the return of Mack should bolster that unit which was already very good last year, plus improvements from our young WRs like Pittman, Patmon, Harris, Dulin and hopefully a fully healthy Campbell.  I expect TE to be addressed.  Then on D, I expect continued growth from Stewart, Turay, Lewis and possibly Banogu on the DL, improvements from Oke and maybe EJ Speed at LB (I expect improvement from Maniac, though he's already a first team all-pro) and then in the secondary from Ya-Sin, Blackmon, Willis and we have Tell returning as well.  I hope we retain Rhodes, but I'm sure Ballard has a plan for if we don't.

Agree with everything you said here besides the WR group. But a lot of room to agree to disagree with that group.

As of NOW:

Our leading receiver has 629 yards and 5 touchdowns. (Pascal)

Pittman hopefully improves.

Pascal is solid but not great.

Campbell is a HUGE if. (Almost can’t even count him at this point)

Hopefully Patmon, Dulin and Harris improve but they did almost absolutely nothing last year.

So much if in that group. If we find a better TE threat, it should help them but the WR group is def a weak spot on this team in my opinion.

We will see what the plan is I guess. Colts haven’t done much of anything at this point.

• Like 4

1) Needed upgrade on CB. Potentially resigning Rhodes and having Marvin Tell coming back does not fulfill this.

2) Needed upgrade at Edge Rusher. Not even addressed and even if Justin Houston resigned does not fulfill this.

3) Needed upgrade at TE. Potentially resigning Cox does not fulfill this.

4) Needed a QB. Taken care of.

5) Needed a LT/upgrade. Not even addressed.

6) Needed upgrade at WR. Potentially resigning TY and Pascal does not fulfill this.

7) Have shown interest in a washed up Safety who might play LB. Potentially could replace Walker at LB as Safety is not a huge need.

8) Resigned an injury prone RB. Not needed and a wasted of 2mil

9) Claimed a jag DT from Texans. ??????

10) Potentially resign a ST guy and backup Safety. You feel the ground move? Yea, me neither.

**Overall assessment answer. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! and every Colts fan as of this moment should be appalled at this blatant and potentially Epic FAILURE

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I voted no because Wentz needs to prove he is not broken before anything. If he is un-fixable this team is in a way worse spot then last year,

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't vote until Free Agency is over and the the Draft is over. If I really like the draft and we do more in Free Agency, then maybe we are better?? A lot depends on Wentz's play as well. Rivers was good last year in reality.

Pretty much my answer, word for word.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would question the completition percentage in his 5 years he only went over 68% once so not sure if that is obtainable or not.  But before last season he was never a big INT guy the 3 seasons prior to last year (17-18-19) he had 21 INTs combined for those three years and funny thing he threw exactly 7 every year.   Including last season and his rookie season he has only thrown 50 career INTs which is an overage of only 10 per year. 

• Like 1

I think we will be similar but I went with better.   

The running game will be much better.  Taylor got over his early issues last year.  Mack can spell him to save his legs and switch it up.

Getting Campbell back will be nice.  

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Until LT is resolved i have to vote no.  I reserve the right to modify my vote at a later date!

We didn't have Castonzo for several games last season. I'm sure we will have a solution by the time the season starts.  

16 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

How about we wait until the draft, let alone free agency?

and congrats on the worlds longest title. 

Yep, it makes sense to wait. Right now, it may look gloomy but like the Jaguars have shown for over a decade, championships are not won in March, otherwise Jaguars would have lots of those FA and off season trophies. :) 

It is basically saying "knowing that this is a knee jerk question, give me your knee jerk response". :D

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

1) Needed upgrade on CB. Potentially resigning Rhodes and having Marvin Tell coming back does not fulfill this.

2) Needed upgrade at Edge Rusher. Not even addressed and even if Justin Houston resigned does not fulfill this.

3) Needed upgrade at TE. Potentially resigning Cox does not fulfill this.

4) Needed a QB. Taken care of.

5) Needed a LT/upgrade. Not even addressed.

6) Needed upgrade at WR. Potentially resigning TY and Pascal does not fulfill this.

7) Have shown interest in a washed up Safety who might play LB. Potentially could replace Walker at LB as Safety is not a huge need.

8) Resigned an injury prone RB. Not needed and a wasted of 2mil

9) Claimed a jag DT from Texans. ??????

10) Potentially resign a ST guy and backup Safety. You feel the ground move? Yea, me neither.

**Overall assessment answer. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! and every Colts fan as of this moment should be appalled at this blatant and potentially Epic FAILURE

I wouldn't call it an epic failure...because there are still players to address some of these...but that's a pretty good breakdown to date.

Mack at $2M isn't a waste...it's more a favor than anything.