Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are re-signing RB Marlon Mack

MTC

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

Good news on keeping Mack...he seems like a tremendous selfless person.

I hope he returns to top playing form.

Yup. Didn't whine when we drafted Taylor. Has always kept his head down and worked his bottom off. Not flashy, and carries a lunch pail. I love those guys.

Surprising to me. I really figured some team would take a chance on him for 4-6 million and see how it goes. 

I already have the best fantasy advice of 2021 for everyone, though:

Do not draft Colts RBs. Do not roster Colts RBs. You’ll thank me in December. With Mack, Taylor, and Hines owners are going to be playing a weekly game of Russian roulette. When one goes off, that means that at least one, and likely two, of the others aren’t. 

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Surprising to me. I really figured some team would take a chance on him for 4-6 million and see how it goes. 

I already have the best fantasy advice of 2021 for everyone, though:

Do not draft Colts RBs. Do not roster Colts RBs. You’ll thank me in December. With Mack, Taylor, and Hines owners are going to be playing a weekly game of Russian roulette. When one goes off, that means that at least one, and likely two, of the others aren’t. 

Taylor is going to get his. 

54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Didn't whine when we drafted Taylor. Has always kept his head down and worked his bottom off. Not flashy, and carries a lunch pail. I love those guys.

Absolutely agree.  This is the type of guy you love to have on your team and to brag about the fact that he represents us.  

Just now, joecolts said:

Absolutely agree.  This is the type of guy you love to have on your team and to brag about the fact that he represents us.  

I know he'll likely be gone next year if he looks good/healthy this season, but still love it that he's back. Such a good guy, and this worked out very well for both parties. I hope he kills it as a one-two punch. I love Hines, but he's not an every down back, and we rotated him in last year like he was. I think this will allow Indy to be more creative. I still want Hines to get a ton of touches, just not as many between the Ts RB carries.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know he'll likely be gone next year if he looks good/healthy this season, but still love it that he's back. Such a good guy, and this worked out very well for both parties. I hope he kills it as a one-two punch. I love Hines, but he's not an every down back, and we rotated him in last year like he was. I think this will allow Indy to be more creative. I still want Hines to get a ton of touches, just not as many between the Ts RB carries.

One way or another he will be gone next year.  If he reverts back to his pre-injury self he will finally get his payday.  If he struggles the Colts won’t re-sign him.  This is about what I said would make sense for both sides when he got hurt last year.  Colts keep him on a one year prove it deal and he gets to stay in the system he knows rather than adding learning a new system to things he has to do beyond his rehab.  Makes perfect sense for both sides.  

I think this will let Hines be a true third down back or passing package back.  Maybe it will FINALLY eliminate the draw to Hines up the gut play that still hasn’t worked.  Outside of that one play I am with you in being a big fan of Hines too.  His role is just that of passing package back and there is nothing wrong with that.  He’s deadly at it and you could argue he’s the Colts best skill position player when used in that role.

we have the best RB trio in the league since who knows when

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I guess I'll be the first to say Really? I like Mack but we really need a CB 1... our D is gonna be hurting if we dont get a vet there.

what does singing Mack to a 2 mil dollar deal have to do with getting a CB1?

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

One way or another he will be gone next year.  If he reverts back to his pre-injury self he will finally get his payday.  If he struggles the Colts won’t re-sign him.  This is about what I said would make sense for both sides when he got hurt last year.  Colts keep him on a one year prove it deal and he gets to stay in the system he knows rather than adding learning a new system to things he has to do beyond his rehab.  Makes perfect sense for both sides.  

I think this will let Hines be a true third down back or passing package back.  Maybe it will FINALLY eliminate the draw to Hines up the gut play that still hasn’t worked.  Outside of that one play I am with you in being a big fan of Hines too.  His role is just that of passing package back and there is nothing wrong with that.  He’s deadly at it and you could argue he’s the Colts best skill position player when used in that role.

I think there's a place in the middle that would allow him to be back. If he stays healthy, doesn't revert to his pre-injury form, but is a better option than Wilkins, I could see him coming back. Achilles can be tricky and take time to trust. So there's another situation where he just takes time, and reverts to form late in the season, is back for one more.

I agree this let's Hines be the weapon he's supposed to be. He did well at times as a rotational RB, but he just lacks the power for a lot of situations. He did better than I thought to be honest. I'd absolutely love to see him line up at slot with Taylor in the backfield, on 3rd down between the 20s. That opens up all kinds of possibilities for the O. Or even just a simple two back set.

17 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I guess I'll be the first to say Really? I like Mack but we really need a CB 1... our D is gonna be hurting if we dont get a vet there.

8 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

we have the best RB trio in the league since who knows when

what does singing Mack to a 2 mil dollar deal have to do with getting a CB1?

I second that comment. 

45 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think there's a place in the middle that would allow him to be back. If he stays healthy, doesn't revert to his pre-injury form, but is a better option than Wilkins, I could see him coming back. Achilles can be tricky and take time to trust. So there's another situation where he just takes time, and reverts to form late in the season, is back for one more.

I agree this let's Hines be the weapon he's supposed to be. He did well at times as a rotational RB, but he just lacks the power for a lot of situations. He did better than I thought to be honest. I'd absolutely love to see him line up at slot with Taylor in the backfield, on 3rd down between the 20s. That opens up all kinds of possibilities for the O. Or even just a simple two back set.

What about a 3 RB set, Mack, Taylor and Hines in the slot? Wouldn’t that be unique 

I like the signing for both Mack and the Colts....Mack gets to work his way back from the Achilles with a one year deal and move on for more cash, the Colts get a one year rental on a proven commodity that knows the system......should help Wentz too confidence wise having excellent 3 headed attack on the ground with Hines.

47 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I really don't see how this was a surprise. Injury history and he's coming off another injury. Mack wasn't gonna get a top dollar offer.

Just my opinion, but I don't think many expected him to get a big offer from anyone. I think the only surprise (and it's not a huge surprise) for some, is that they signed him when the RB room was already looking pretty good with Taylor, Hines, and Wilkins. I personally thought we'd bring him back cheap as did others. He's a luxury though, given all the other holes we have. I personally hope we can bring Hooker back on a cheap deal too if they think he's healthy and can contribute.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion, but I don't think many expected him to get a big offer from anyone. I think the only surprise (and it's not a huge surprise) for some, is that they signed him when the RB room was already looking pretty good with Taylor, Hines, and Wilkins. I personally thought we'd bring him back cheap as did others. He's a luxury though, given all the other holes we have. I personally hope we can bring Hooker back on a cheap deal too if they think he's healthy and can contribute.

I don't think it's a luxury. Mack and Taylor is a way better combo then Taylor and Wilkins

57 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't think it's a luxury. Mack and Taylor is a way better combo then Taylor and Wilkins

I agree when talking about Wilkins, but it's more about what Reich inferred when he was talking about Hines and Taylor, about them being interchangeable. I called nonsense then, and still do. Bringing back Mack reinforces it was nonsense. 

Waste of 2mil. Never been a Mack fan, still not. Wouldn't of cared if they signed him for 2 cents. was happy to finally have him gone and he gets reeled back in.

Nothing personal as I don't know him, I'm sure he is a great human being. Just never thought he was all that. He's like Tevin Coleman-ish and these guys are a dime a dozen. Nothing special about them.

Sorry, just not excited for what that's worth

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Waste of 2mil. Never been a Mack fan, still not. Wouldn't of cared if they signed him for 2 cents. was happy to finally have him gone and he gets reeled back in.

Nothing personal as I don't know him, I'm sure he is a great human being. Just never thought he was all that. He's like Tevin Coleman-ish and these guys are a dime a dozen. Nothing special about them.

Sorry, just not excited for what that's worth

I think you are the only one who feels that way.   I am thrilled to have him back for only $2.  Low risk, high reward.  

I wonder if hes going to be healthy to start the year. If the Colts and Mack know he wont be ready to go until week 8 (for example)  why not stay in Indy get healthy and contribute down the stretch. Great depth for the Colts that, when healthy, can do some real damage and would be hitting his stride when we'd need him the most.

I like it.

I realy am glad we resigned Marlon. It is a win win situation. Marlon can regain his confidence and we have a dynamite weapon.  Marlon can help JT and JT can also help by extending Marlon's recovery and play. The NFL 17 games is a tear on anyone's body and so having these four RB, we are pretty much set. 

32 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I wonder if hes going to be healthy to start the year. If the Colts and Mack know he wont be ready to go until week 8 (for example)  why not stay in Indy get healthy and contribute down the stretch. Great depth for the Colts that, when healthy, can do some real damage and would be hitting his stride when we'd need him the most.

I like it.

He is 80 to 90 percent recovered and will be ready by training camp.

This says a lot about marlon Mack. He’s coming back on a one year contract for 2 million dollars and he’s playing one of the more important positions on the field. Meanwhile, we got George odum, crying after being paid as the highest special team player who doesn’t kick a football at 2.1 million. I really think marlon Mack, even recovering from a devastating injury, could’ve found a team to pay him 4-5 million for one year but he stayed with the colts. Marlon Mack is one of my favorites. I hope he balls out this year and earns himself that big contract. It’ll be bittersweet because I know he won’t be a colt anymore but he’ll get what he very much deserves and I’m all for that. We need more teammates and players in the nfl like Mack who isn’t all about himself and is more about the benefit of the team and earning his worth. 

23 hours ago, joecolts said:

Mack is a hard worker, great teammate and just a good person.  This is a win/win!

What I love about Mack is he’s a team player. I’m sure, even with his injury history, a team would’ve been willing to take a chance on him for more than 2 million. On the other hand, we got George odum, who is upset about being paid the highest paid special team player in the nfl that doesn’t kick the football. He’s making 2.1 million dollars to be on the field, 6-10 times a game. Wish there were more players like Mack who are team oriented and want to prove themselves. Don’t get me wrong, I like odum. Great special teamer. But him being upset about being paid 2.1 million dollars and is the highest paid ST player than doesn’t kick the ball is ridiculous. 

Archived