Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's LONG plan to build a "solid" football team

bluephantom87

35 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

How is that even relevant?  Luck has been gone for two years, they picked his replacement.  Are people going to keep saying that next year too?  Its time to forget about luck and worry about what we have.  Its been time for a while now

They may or may not have gone further with Andrew, you cant say they would done more as though its a fact.  

You don’t think having the guy you built the team retiring on you out of no where isn’t relevant to the job Ballard has done as a whole?  

Still if you want to just focus on his time without Luck fine let’s do it.  We only have two years of knowledge of what he’s done with out Luck.  2019 doesn’t fairly count because he lost Luck when he couldn’t really do anything about but start Jacoby.  The very next year Ballard, the only year you can honestly say he’s had a chance to address losing Luck, he built a team that was right back in the playoffs. What more did you want from him in one off-season?  A lot of teams wouldn’t have sniffed the playoffs again for years had they lost Luck the way the Colts did.  

This year we can’t judge because we don’t know how it’s going to play out on the field.  So why don’t we just chill and let it play out.  I can promise you Ballard has a plan.  His track record gives you reason to think it will be a good one.  So why don’t we let it play out before acting like Ballard doesn’t know what he’s doing just because he didn’t sign a bunch of guys that people have been saying all year they weren’t going to sign because they don’t have the money with guys like Smith, Leonard, and Nelson’s contracts coming up.  

Two years from now no one is going to talk about losing Luck with Ballard because he will have had multiple off-seasons to address it and multiple seasons of results on the field to judge it by.  Right now we realistically have one and that was a good season.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You don’t think having the guy you built the team retiring on you out of no where isn’t relevant to the job Ballard has done as a whole?  

Still if you want to just focus on his time without Luck fine let’s do it.  We only have two years of knowledge of what he’s done with out Luck.  2019 doesn’t fairly count because he lost Luck when he couldn’t really do anything about but start Jacoby.  The very next year Ballard, the only year you can honestly say he’s had a chance to address losing Luck, he built a team that was right back in the playoffs. What more did you want from him in one off-season?  A lot of teams wouldn’t have sniffed the playoffs again for years had they lost Luck the way the Colts did.  

This year we can’t judge because we don’t know how it’s going to play out on the field.  So why don’t we just chill and let it play out.  I can promise you Ballard has a plan.  His track record gives you reason to think it will be a good one.  So why don’t we let it play out before acting like Ballard doesn’t know what he’s doing just because he didn’t sign a bunch of guys that people have been saying all year they weren’t going to sign because they don’t have the money with guys like Smith, Leonard, and Nelson’s contracts coming up.  

Two years from now no one is going to talk about losing Luck with Ballard because he will have had multiple off-seasons to address it and multiple seasons of results on the field to judge it by.  Right now we realistically have one and that was a good season.

I think they need an edge rusher specifically to challenge the Chiefs and other top teams in the AFC.  The team was pretty good last year but could not close out AFC playoff teams

I think that will continue to be a crap shot if we don't get to the QB.  The sack numbers were not bad overall, but they didn't come against good teams. I'm tired of talking about Luck, QB play wasn't the reason they didn't beat the Bills or Steelers

Just now, BlackTiger said:

I think they need an edge rusher specifically to challenge the Chiefs and other top teams in the AFC.  The team was pretty good last year but could not close out AFC playoff teams

I think that will continue to be a crap shot if we don't get to the QB.  The sack numbers were not bad overall, but they didn't come against good teams. I'm tired of talking about Luck, QB play wasn't the reason they didn't beat the Bills or Steelers

They do but edge rushers don’t grow on trees.  Good ones are hard to find.  I’ll agree the pass rusher position needs an upgrade but free agency isn’t done and neither is the draft.  Remember two years ago everyone freaked out they didn’t get a pass rusher in the first round of free agency and they got Houston two weeks later who has had more sacks than anyone but one person in his free agency class.  

8 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I didn't expect more when Jacoby was starting, no one did.  I think they are good enough now to make some moves though

Well...   it’s only Day 3 of FA, so we will see.  

Otherwise, I expect Ballard to wheel and deal at the draft and collect more picks and use them wisely.  

I don’t think people really understand why teams like the Dolphins and Ravens are successful, but aren’t as good as the Chiefs or Bills. It’s about your core group of players. Some teams have all of the skill players in the world, but they have a weak core and their flashiness can’t win them playoff games. Ballard has built a core of players, he is just now getting started on the skill players.

Think of it like this: your house has to have a foundation and a structure before you start decorating the walls. Ballard has finished building the house, now he’s choosing the wallpaper

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

The 49ers are below .500 while Lynch has been the GM. They had a great year in in 2019 with an appearance in the Superbowl but have been below .500 in the other 3 years. Plus, if Ballard managed the cap that caused them to decide to trade someone like DeForest Buckner would people still be praising his aggressiveness? 

I think Beane has done a great job in Buffalo and he did well to trade up in the 2018 draft to get Allen. However, had Luck not returned in 2018 and retired that spring we could easily have seen the Colts ascend like this. It's easy to forget how bad the timing of Luck's retirement was. The 2018 draft could have resulted in drafting a QB and not trading back for Nelson.

Jon Robinson has done really well in TEN but he still hasn't put together a roster that worries me despite their success. Plus, their offense relies heavily on Derrick Henry He is a great player but football is not kind to running backs as they get in their late 20s. He is likely to slow down in the next year or two and that will be a challenge for the Titans. (assuming it happens) Tannerhill is good but that team really needs Henry playing like he has been. Also, I've seen the Colts use the approach of making flashy signings and being aggressive in free agency when Grigson was here. I may not agree with every decision Ballard makes but I am perfectly fine with his level of aggressiveness in free agency.

Les Snead has been the GM of the Rams since 2012. Are you going to ignore the years from 2012-2016 which was prior to McVay becoming the head coach? Most of the key players on that Superbowl team (Gurley, Donald) were drafted prior to McVay being hired.

49ers have been to 2 super bowls and rebuilt roster twice now...Meanwhile we won 2 playoff games...

13 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I hope he gets Villanueva. Makes too much sense not too.. I'd like for him to get Golladay but that ain't happening for sure.

Villanueva might not be that good.  I haven't really watched him play but  I saw a graph of him on twitter (I know lol) that indicated that he wasn't that great...  I'll see if I can find it again.

People complain even when you're winning. Arguable top 3 GM in the league and we have posts like this. FA kicks off and people are still making terrible threads. Any person who really knows about rosters would laugh at you. Ballard is a beast they dont call him BDB for no reason now. 

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

49ers have been to 2 super bowls and rebuilt roster twice now...Meanwhile we won 2 playoff games...

I don't see your logic in bringing up their Superbowl in 2012. Not only was Lynch/Shanahan not part of that but the 49ers team in 2012 was built largely through the draft. Colin Kapernick, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Joe Staley, NaVorno Bowman, Patrick Willis, Dashon Goldson, etc were all drafted by the 49ers from around 04-11. That team was not put together by splashy free agent signings outside of maybe Justin Smith. 

Another Ballard build thread lol.

I'll say the same simple two things.

1) The roster is absolutely better and more well rounded than it's been in a very very long time. Anyone that doesn't recognize that is pretty blind.

2) It's much easier to improve a bad roster (which Ballard inherited). It's solid now, so Ballard's job will be much tougher going forward. I'll judge him on the next 2-3 years as he has a QB now, the positions are not near as easy to upgrade, and he has to deal with big contracts coming up. 

5 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it's fair to express concern, especially this FA. He said he would target the top tier guys when he thinks we have the team to compete and they are a FIT. We are there. I mean he traded a 1st and paid Buckner last year a HUGE contract. Glad he did, but it's okay to do that in FA too if they are a fit & it doesn't require draft capital. 

Then again, he might be in the works with a couple of really solid players. 

If we sign Fuller or Golloday and sign a TE/Ertz trade, we are instantly all very happy. 

We will get a solid CB or two in FA + Tell(I would imagine). I'm only truly worried about EDGE & pass rush. That's legit the top reason Tampa won the SB IMO. 

That and the fact that the Chiefs had two backup tackles; bad combo. 

I'm trying to figure out why some have made this Colts football topic something it's not. I cleary said I think Ballard is a good gm. I also said he has built a good team mostly through the draft and with some bargain FAs. I also said the Colts are in a good place money wise which means Ballard has handled the cap nicely. To say this team is good enough for a playoff push but still needs pieces to be a true SB contender in the loaded AFC is not a diss! The team has come a long way but other teams are getting better and going for the crown also. 

Now with that being said it is time to start adding PLAYMAKERS to this solid young team at the skill positions like a top tier wr or two and especially some defenders that can get to the opposing quarterbacks! Look no further than Tampa Bay who flipped a losing season into hoisting the Lombardi the next. They had some core talent but added some VERY key FAs to make that possible. All their scoring in the SB came from guys who were not even on their roster last year. The Rams and 49ers went all in a couple of years ago and both appeared in SBs. Injuries have derailed the Niners as of late and as far as the Rams with their cap hell the bold move for Stafford will put them right back in the mix.

At some point you will have to spend some money on top tier talent (see Buckner) to compete for the title unless you're hitting all of your draft picks out the park and no gm is doing that. Go Colts!

5 hours ago, ar7 said:

I don't see your logic in bringing up their Superbowl in 2012. Not only was Lynch/Shanahan not part of that but the 49ers team in 2012 was built largely through the draft. Colin Kapernick, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Joe Staley, NaVorno Bowman, Patrick Willis, Dashon Goldson, etc were all drafted by the 49ers from around 04-11. That team was not put together by splashy free agent signings outside of maybe Justin Smith. 

Don't spend too much time looking for what isn't there.

9 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Look no further than Tampa Bay who flipped a losing season into hoisting the Lombardi the next. They had some core talent but added some VERY key FAs to make that possible.

I think this is overstated. They mostly built their team through the draft, with modest supplemental FAs. Then they added several names in 2020, but that wasn't their primary method of building their roster. This whole 'just go for it like the Bucs did' thing is getting out of hand, and that's without acknowledging how many teams have tried and failed at this exact method over the years.

I get your point. You want to see the Colts take a big swing. That would be exciting. I don't think going big in FA is the primary way the Colts want to build their roster. They've shown the past two seasons that when an opportunity comes along, they will take a big swing. Bucker and Rivers last year, Wentz this year (so far). But they've also shown that they have a disciplined, methodical approach, and they aren't going to stray from it just to make headlines. 

The other thing is I think the Colts cap situation has been seriously misunderstood. The Colts had 10ish 2020 starters/major contributors expire, plus Rivers retired. It appears they've prioritized keeping Hilton and Rhodes -- and I think that's a good plan. And if they do, their cap space will shrink significantly. So they're kind of priced out of all these supposed PLAYMAKERS that have been signed so far. People, for some reason, thought Ballard was going to go flying around signing FAs on Day 1, as if they haven't been paying attention for the last four years.

The playmakers are going to come through the draft, with very few exceptions. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think this is overstated. They mostly built their team through the draft, with modest supplemental FAs. Then they added several names in 2020, but that wasn't their primary method of building their roster. This whole 'just go for it like the Bucs did' thing is getting out of hand, and that's without acknowledging how many teams have tried and failed at this exact method over the years.

I get your point. You want to see the Colts take a big swing. That would be exciting. I don't think going big in FA is the primary way the Colts want to build their roster. They've shown the past two seasons that when an opportunity comes along, they will take a big swing. Bucker and Rivers last year, Wentz this year (so far). But they've also shown that they have a disciplined, methodical approach, and they aren't going to stray from it just to make headlines. 

The other thing is I think the Colts cap situation has been seriously misunderstood. The Colts had 10ish 2020 starters/major contributors expire, plus Rivers retired. It appears they've prioritized keeping Hilton and Rhodes -- and I think that's a good plan. And if they do, their cap space will shrink significantly. So they're kind of priced out of all these supposed PLAYMAKERS that have been signed so far. People, for some reason, thought Ballard was going to go flying around signing FAs on Day 1, as if they haven't been paying attention for the last four years.

Like I keep saying the Bucs are the exception not the rule and you did a very good job of how the core of that team was out together in the draft.  They got lucky with Brady like the Broncos did with Manning.  They are are by far the exception to the rule for teams that try this.  

The whole Bucs talk is so overrated, take Tom Brady off that roster at QB, they don't win the SB and everyone knows it. Yeah the defense played great blah blah blah lol. Just like Denver's did in 2015 with Manning at QB lol, without Manning they don't beat the Pats in the 2015 AFC Title Game. I still lmao at people that think freakin Osweiler could've beat the Pats in 2015 just because he beat them in the regular season. Since Manning has retired the Broncos have stunk and before Brady the Bucs stunk. No way the Bucs win the SB with Winston at QB and Winston is average, not bad but it wasn't happening. You better have a 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears D before you plug in some average QB to win it all.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They do but edge rushers don’t grow on trees.  Good ones are hard to find.  I’ll agree the pass rusher position needs an upgrade but free agency isn’t done and neither is the draft.  Remember two years ago everyone freaked out they didn’t get a pass rusher in the first round of free agency and they got Houston two weeks later who has had more sacks than anyone but one person in his free agency class.  

Unfortunately I don't see us getting a FA Edge player other than signing Ryan Kerrigan to replace Houston on a "come back home to Indiana" cheap deal.

Looks like the draft is going to be our play and here are my list of players:

Autry size and weight replacements:

• Payton Turner
  • Cameron Sample
  • Chauncey Golston
  • Adetokunbo Ogundeji

Few other Autry type players really not interested in that failed to impress me like Dayo Odeyingbo, Joshua Kaindoh and Malik Herring.  

Houston size and weight replacements:

• Gregory Rousseau
  • Joseph Ossai
  • Ronnie Perkins
  • Jordan Smith
  • Elerson Smith
  • Patrick Johnson

Look for the Colts to make some trades for the draft and keep these players mentioned in mind.

As for the Colts we know they like to keep their own.  Same as any job where it takes time to train and coach so its easier to retain rather than train someone new.  We have never been big on being overly aggressive in FA but more known for turning a depth player from another team into hopefully something short-term fix.

Going over some recent FA movements here is my new short-list of potential free agents on the cheap we might consider to add depth and an educated guess at target signing amounts: 

• WR David Moore 3m
  • SS Tashuan Gipson 1.5
  • SS Will Parks 1.25m
  • C Daniel Kilgore 1.8m
  • LG Cole Toner 850k
  • RT Jerald Hawkins 1.5m
  • RCB Quinton Dunbar 3.5m
  • SLB Frankie Luvu 1.25m

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Hey Supes its been awhile. :thmup: I used Tampa as an example because I believe the Colts are similar. You are correct in that their team was built mostly through the draft which is why I said their core talent. The Colts also have some bargain FAs too like Tampa had but last year they added some very KEY pieces (and not necessarily expensive ones) to that roster to get over the hump. Do you think they win the SB without Brady and the targeted weapons they added around him? Of course not but they made the move. I'm not on that kick that you have to spend big money and go crazy just for the sake of a big splash signing.

The Colts spent last year on a position of need and look what Buckner brought to the table. If the Colts spend on TY I'm good with that because I believe he's a playmaker and will look back to form with a qb who can get the ball downfield. If they let him walk go get Fuller or Goliday. Money should also be spent on Rhodes a former elite cb who thrived with the Colts. He fills a position of need but will cost. I thought in no particular order the Colts needed to bring back Rhodes, TY, Mo Allie and Autry. I truly believe the Colts are on the cusp right now of being a SB contender with Carson on board.

Not saying you but narratives are sometimes taken FAR out of context on this board because I NEVER said this team needs to be built through free agency nor did they have to sign big names for big money. That narrative would fall under owner Dan Snyder who year after year in the beginning would sign every big name (usually washed up) for big money with falled results as many other teams have tried that same approach with the same results.

My whole overall view is that If Ballard continues to struggle on drafting playmakers at the SKILL positions like wr, cb and especially the edge then it needs to be addressed in FA. Chris has done a heck of a job in all other areas of drafting and also with the salary cap which is why the team is in a good place right now and should start climbing that ladder up the ranks of the AFC powers. Now that he has the franchise qb who I think will thrive in Indy the sky's the limit. Cheers to you!

17 hours ago, Four2itus said:

The title says "Long term". That is exactly what he is doing. This is a very young roster. I don't see failure, and I don't see mediocrity. I see continued growth and success. The stars have to align for every single SB team. This Colts team will get it's chance. 

If this is truly a long term idea as you say then you don't go get an aging Rivers and/or trade for Wentz. You just throw Eason or some other Rookie in there. The Colts believe they can win now. They have stated as such.

Exactly, Colt's fans have been waiting very long times.No more waiting.Win now,this year and next year. Christ I will die of old age before another ring.Does this owner and gm think everyone has time to sit around watching bad losses for years and years then hopefully win a ring once every 20 years,hell no. spend some money already,and some under the table,get it done and now.

Ballard stacks drafts. Stacking drafts relies on developing players. His first draft class is just now entering into their second contracts. This is a very very young football team, and that is exciting. I believe Carson Wentz in this offense will be a top tier quarterback. And if that is the case, we are going to be watching the beginning of what could be a decade long run with the core players we have. THAT will be Chris Ballard’s legacy. He just needs one ring. 

lol, your right about that. the colts are ripe to spend RIGHT Now. We have a very good young team that needs 3-4 players to put them on top and over the top.Just Do It. My anger issues with team may force me to move on after 59 years of being a Colts fan. 2 rings is just totally unacceptable esp. after 13 seasons with Manning and ONLY one ring,thats just not right. We have a very hard schedule this season and another bad year will probably do it. Tired of waiting for so long and it never gets better,it never meets expectations.   So Sad

13 hours ago, ar7 said:

Just an illustration of a team being rebuilt fast on two occasions in 1 decade....We are not winning a Super Bowl with this team as currently constructed when we have to beat KC to get there....We have to go all in EVERY YEAR if we want to beat them...This safe be patient stuff is getting tiresome, and just as risky as going for it...

they will long term success right now with this very good young team right now that only needs 3 -4 FA's to be very good for a long long time. We don't make the playoffs this season if we don't win the division and we won't Tenn. will.  With  ravens,browns,bills, dolphins,chiefs,steelers,pats,all in the wildcard spot and the colt's brutal schedule this season we wil be gone,out.  Need to spend Now

18 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I mean which one of these had to switch coaches after year 1, then had the franchise QB retire right before the start of the season.

Moving on from Pagano was a positive, not a negative. And I think if you ask most people, Ballard’s success isn’t  “officially” measured until he hired Reich. If that’s the case, then this season is the true test...and I am fine with that.

But those GMs didn’t really have QBs...unless they went and got them. The point was that they had to address it as well. 

The thing with Luck is that when Ballard took over, he had just had shoulder surgery and would miss an entire NFL season. He didn’t even throw a football for more than a year.

There was no way someone as smart as Ballard was ever fully dependent on Luck being his QB. He even said it wasn’t about one guy when he was hired.

It’s a big reason they wouldn’t trade JB. Not only were there uncertainties about Luck, but I think they also thought JB could be that replacement if necessary, as we saw with the contract they gave him.

Ballard could have drafted a QB at any point. But they didn’t because they believed in JB and thought they had it covered if Luck was no longer an option.

56 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Look I know I'm viewed as a buffoon but I don't covet any of these guys. I'm not happy to save a couple nickels on an injury prone RB we didn't have a REAL need for. I'm all for winning, but at the end of the day this team, like all others, need talent. In some cases our drafted players are coming along at better than normal rates and in most other cases they are not and in those areas we need to influx talent to complete the unit. Waiting around for some of these players at positions that drive the NFL landscape is getting old and out dated. ER and WR as examples, yet I read we want a playmaking TE.

Lest me remind everyone on here that this team has not had a true number one receiver in over a decade and if any of you think Pittman is going to be that guy you gotta stop drinking the bong water. In order for Pittman to reach his full potential he cannot be the defacto number one on the Colts as TY was. It will ruin his potential like TY's was ruined here. Just my opinion

I really hope I am wrong about my views, but as each year goes by it's harder for me not seriously question what's going on here

me too

59 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If we were outbid we shouldn't have been. We have a very player friendly team, ideal spot, bright future, etc... If this is about the absurdity of money fine, but some of these contracts like the Reddick deal didn't seem that bad and that's what is troubling here. Somebody on here says a few times that Ballard isn't a closer. There might be something to that if we are consistently getting outbid or whatever you want to call it. IDK, it just seems odd that we always are labeled as a preferred destination yet we always seem to come away with scrapola... At some point you gotta pay to play

Like I said, sometimes is factors we don’t think about. Maybe a former coach or colleague plays for the other team and the offers were close enough to go there. Maybe it’s the area/state, maybe it’s taxes, maybe it’s scheme, I mean hell it could be a variety of reasons.  But I doubt it has to do with Ballard or his approach. Not because I’m drinking the homer koolaide but because he’s widely regarded as one of the best GMs in the league, despite not having the trophies to back it up. That’s not me saying that, that’s in several different reported arenas. He’s consistently in the top 5-10, sometimes top 5 depending on the metrics used. 

the other factor is simply this. And I know few want to hear this, but we have a 24 million dollar question mark at QB. These available “stud” big name players generally are coming from perennial losers or mid pack runners. Some aren’t, most are. So to some of them, knowing their careers are trending closer to the end than the beginning, that question mark at QB may be a much bigger factor than anything else, including money. Sure, New England has that question mark as well, but they also have arguably the great coach of all time. Who is positioned high in a thicker than normal QB class, high enough to make a big trade up for one of the top 3 QB guys. 

bottomline, give it time yet. 

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm just going to say that I vehemently disagree. I am still curious about my first question about ERs that you didn't answer.

Oh my bad. I thought that was a general question to everyone. I actually am not a numbers guy from a contractual standpoint, so from that side of things it's hard for me to say. I would only say that the Reddick deal that came through last night where I believe he got 1 year for 6mil and not knowing what the entire money payout was based on incentives and stuff seemed reasonable for the Colts and the type of deal that could've been made. Whether he would've been a good scheme fit or not I don't really know, but if Bud Dupree would've been welcomed here coming out of a 3-4 then Reddick should've been workable

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

My whole overall view is that If Ballard continues to struggle on drafting playmakers at the SKILL positions like wr, cb and especially the edge then it needs to be addressed in FA.

I think that sounds good (although I don't think Ballard has struggled drafting WRs), but it's easier said than done. Especially at edge. Opportunities will present themselves, it's just a matter of getting the right guys. The Bucs signed JPP three years ago, for $3m, kind of shrug worthy at the time. 

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Just an illustration of a team being rebuilt fast on two occasions in 1 decade....We are not winning a Super Bowl with this team as currently constructed when we have to beat KC to get there....We have to go all in EVERY YEAR if we want to beat them...This safe be patient stuff is getting tiresome, and just as risky as going for it...

It took the 49ers 6-7 years to put together the core of their 2012 Superbowl team. That is longer than how long Ballard has been the Colts GM.

From their 2012 team to the 2018 team they had 3-4 drafts of picking in the top 10. Since Ballard has arrived the Colts have had 1. 

If you look at the entire picture of what it took for a team to put together a contender it takes time...especially if you want to be able to sustain success. It's just a matter of if you want to pick and choose what fits whatever narrative you want to push.

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Accounting for not having the guy you built the team around isn’t an excuse it’s a franchise alternating change that normally sets franchises back five to 10 years unless you end up with one of the top picks in draft in the first year as much as people don’t want to hear that.  

Ballard has had a different opening day starting QB every year he’s been GM.  

21 - Wentz

20 - Rivers 

19 - Jacoby

18 - Luck

17 - Tolizen

Find me another GM who can say that and built a team that’s made the playoffs in half those seasons (as 2021 hasn’t been played yet) and maybe more impressive only earned a top three draft pick in one of those drafts.  In 2018 after his first season of the draft.  I’ll wait.  

Going back to 2018 he looked to have the Colts moving into the top of the AFC and then Andrew Luck pulled the rug out from under him with no chance to do anything but start Jacoby making 2019 a wash and meaning they had to change who he team was built around and one year later he had a new identity for the team and they were right back in the playoffs with a stop gap QB.  That’s pretty darn impressive.  

Now he has the guy he expects to be the answer to the QB problem.  Ultimately his fate is going to be decided by how Wentz does but thus far he’s done very well when you honestly look at everything he’s had to deal with and don’t just ignore it because it contradicts the “Ballard sucks” false narrative.  

But Tolzien being the "opening day" starter in 2017 was a result of not addressing QB until late in TC. It was either intentional or irresponsible because Luck didn't even throw all offseason. But nobody even considers that a Ballard season...and it directly led to the monster 2018 draft...so framing it as part of some unique disadvantage is disingenuous. 

One of those two seasons they made the playoffs (and the only playoff win) was with Luck. Luck was 8-8 in 2016...with what everyone considers to be a garbage team left behind by Grigson. So, two full offseasons later, including ridiculous draft capital from the 2017 season, plenty of available cap space to use, and with a new coaching staff, they improved to 10-6 against the NFL's easiest schedule. And they beat HOU in the playoffs before getting out-classed by KC.

There was certainly improvement and a much upgraded roster, but I don't think it was a unique accomplishment. John Lynch, in his only season with a healthy Jimmy G, went 13-3 and nearly won the SB. That was his 3rd season. Definitely more impressive if we are comparing GMs (based on success).

I have never said anything remotely comparable to Ballard sucks. I think he is a good GM. But I am waiting to see what happens with Wentz. I have said that this season will be the true test. But after that, this Luck retirement disadvantage will no longer be valid. 

Archived