Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 DL: Roster Discussion and Poll

EastStreet

2021 DL: Roster Discussion and Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will Houston be back?

2. 2. Is Turay ready for a starting role?

3. 3. Should we use our 1st round pick for a DE?

• Yes - trade up for Paye
    • Take Oweh if he falls to 21
    • Take Rousseau if available at 21
    • Take Ojulari if available at 21
    • Take Phillips if available at 21
    • Take Collins (OLB) at 21 and try him out at DE
    • No, do not take a DE in the 1st

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/2021 at 02:57 PM

Top Questions

1. Will Houston be back as our DE1? Or will Ballard go after someone else in FA? I really doubt our #1 DE will be replaced by anyone currently on the roster, at least not at this point.
  2. Who will replace Autry at DE2. Is Turay ready? Will they give Lewis a shot? Comittee? A FA? An early round draft pick?
  3. Can Banogu finally make some noise? If he doesn't take at least a small step forward, I wouildn't be shocked to see him demoted to the PS.
  4. Starting 3T (Buckner) and NT (Stewart) are still here. Stallworth was re-signed. Only real questions to me are if Lewis plays more of a DE role, who will be 3T depth. Will Windsor emerge as a role player?

My thoughts in general.

1. Need to go 1st round in the draft even if we do bring back Houston. We need to make a move for the future. More 2nd and 3rd rounders won't do. And as expected, most of the top FA DEs got overpaid early.
  2. We should bring back Houston if it works financially as a bridge at first, who transitions to a rotational guy as the rook comes along.
  3. There are plenty of aging DEs that are still performing, and tweener-like guys available in FA that can fill Autry's role. Sucks to lose him, but we can find a guy. Hopefully Turay emerges to soften the blow at DE2
  4. Lewis will need to step up as a flex guy regardless. I don't see him as a starter, but his minutes need to increase this year. He's in a contract year.

Projected Starters (currently on Roster)
DE1 - ?
3T - Buckner
NT - Stewart
DE2 - ?

Individual Comments

Assumed 53

• Buckner (3T) - stud, and everyone knows it. No need to say anything more.
  • Stewart (NT) - Not flashy, but gets the job done. Stuggled a bit with missed Ts last year and his sacks went down after getting a bigger role. Still, he was a steady part of one of the best run Ds in the league.  
  • Turay (DE) - lost a year after a very promising start to his career. Will he be ready and rust-free to start the season? Can he compete for a starting 3 down DE spot? Or is he just a situational guy? He was considered a better run stopper than pass rusher in college, so can he put it all together? 
  • Tyquan Lewis (3T/DE) - took a nice step forward last season. He's still lacking vs the run, and has limited length, but can he take another step forward and compete for Autry's DE/tweener spot?

Candidates with a leg up

• Taylor Stallworth (DT) - re-signed to 1 year deal in January. His new contract doesn't guarantee him a spot on the 53, and I'm sure he'll have camp competition, but the re-sign at least shows the Colts thought enough of him to keep him off the market. His PFF grades were poor, but he's still a young developing young guy. Hoping he's hitting the weights. 
  • Ben Banogu (DE) - So far, a disappointment as far as 2nd rounders go. Might this be the year things click? Can he make it through camp? Nothing would surprise me. Hoping he spent the off season with a good technique coach.  

PS/Futures guys trying to make the roster or PS

• Rob Windsor (DT) - PS and temp elevated and back to PS. Signed a futures contract in January. I don't have high hopes, but would love to see him develop into a decent depth piece. 
  • Chris Williams (DT) - Small school young guy. Might take time to develop but not a bad guy to have on the PS and be patient with.

Free Agents (Colts)

• Houston (DE) - Decent production, and top 10 in Pass Rush Win Rate. Aging, but still solid. Unless he falls off a cliff, still gas in the tank for another year IMO. I'd love to see him as a pure bridge guy this year, and that we also draft his heir apparent in the 1st. 
  • Autry (DE) - signed as a 3-4 DE for the Titans. He was a good flex piece, and will be missed.
  • AQM (DE) - limited, but decent depth piece. 

Free Agents (outside) - given we seem to have iDL covered, will list mostly DE and DE/3T type guys. 

Note - Listed in order of PFF rank (from their list of top 200 FAs). Only listing top 10-15. Bolded my favorite FAs.

• 33. EDGE JADEVEON CLOWNEY - One of the better run stopping DEs. Not great vs the pass, but still one of the better all around guys. I'd love him as DE2, not DE1.
    • Prediction: One-year, $13 million, fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 60. EDGE MELVIN INGRAM III - Aging but still solid. He's another guy I'd be fine with at DE2, not DE1. 
    • Prediction: Two years, $20M ($10M APY): $16M total guaranteed, $14M fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 85. EDGE ALDON SMITH - aging but still performing. Candidate for D2. IMO the prediction is high for his age. 
    • Prediction: Two years, $15 million ($7.5M APY): $10 million total guaranteed, $8 million fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 86. EDGE CARLOS DUNLAP - another aging guy still playing at a high level.
    • Prediction: Dunlap signs for one year, $9 million, $7.5 million total guaranteed.
  • 104. EDGE HAASON REDDICK - Not a candidate at DE IMO due to his 6-1 / 235 size. Would be a great pass rushing SAM/LB though. He's plain bad in coverage though.
    • Prediction: One year, $8.5 million fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 112. EDGE TAKKARIST MCKINLEY - Potential never realized. Former first rounder with a history of meh results, failed physicals, but flashes. Still young though, and maybe he clicks for someone. I think the prediction is high given the actual production.
    • Prediction: Three years, $28.5 million ($9.5M APY): $18 million total guaranteed, $14.5 million fully guaranteed at signing. 
  • 118. DI NDAMUKONG SUH - one of the few iDL I'll list. If he's cheap, I'd definitely take a flyer on him under 5M to match situationally with Buckner.
    • Prediction: One year, $6.75 million fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 129. EDGE TYUS BOWSER - An intriguing athlete. Young, but probably too small to be an every down DE for us unless he can put on 10LBs. I'd love to see him as a MIKE or SAM though. He and Leonard would be lit.
    • Prediction: Three years, $21 million ($7M APY), $10 million fully guaranteed.
  • 146. EDGE ADRIAN CLAYBORN - I'll pass on this one.
    • Prediction: Clayborn signs for one year, $2.25 million, $1.75 million total guaranteed.
  • 149. EDGE TARELL BASHAM - Did Ballard give up on Basham too early? He's been pretty solid for the NYJs. Could we see some irony and him back in Indy?
    • Prediction: Basham signs for two years, $13 million ($6.5M APY), $7 million total guaranteed.
  • 152. DI QUINTON JEFFERSON - listed as a DL, but IMO could fill the tweener role nicely, or even straight up DE if he lost 10LBs. I'd love to grab him to fill Autry's spot at 4M.
    • Prediction: Jefferson signs for one year, $4 million, $2.25 million total guaranteed.
  • 156. EDGE OLIVIER VERNON - aging and coming off a January Achilles injury. He was playing good football though. If you could sign him for the league minimum with the expectation he won't be ready week 1, that would be a decent flyer.
    • Prediction: Vernon signs for one year, $2.075 million, $1.075 million total guaranteed.
  • 170. EDGE JORDAN JENKINS - depth only for me.
    • Prediction: Jenkins signs a one-year, $5 million deal, $3.5 million total guaranteed. 
  • 178. EDGE KERRY HYDER - depth only for me.
    • Projection: Hyder signs for two-years, $9 million ($4.5M APY), $5 million total guaranteed.
  • 180. DI DEREK WOLFE - another aging guy, that would be good in a "by-committee" approach or as depth.
    • Prediction: Wolfe signs for two years, $14 million ($7M APY), $8 million total guaranteed.

Draft Prospects - Again, listing mostly DEs or DE/3T tweeners, and using PFFs list. Limiting to guys I think are 1st and 2nd round prospects. 

• 11  Kwity Paye  - Paye has everything you could want physically to be an every-down problem in the NFL. While he never put it altogether at Michigan, he's shown he can take to coaching and has made strides every single year.
  • 20  Jayson Oweh  - Oweh can do things physically that other edge rushers can only dream of. With reported 4.3 speed, he can play both ends of an option play with ease. The Penn State product took a massive step forward this season as a run defender in his first season as a starter, earning an 89.8 grade in the process.
  • 23  Gregory Rousseau - Yet another opt-out. Rousseau has the tools to be a top-five pick, but it's hard to bank on him after only one year of college football. His absurd length and versatility will be a selling point for teams.
  • 25  Azeez Ojulari -Ojulari was one of the biggest risers with his play in 2020. He's the best pure speed rusher in the class and will threaten the edge against even the most athletic tackles in the league. He finished his redshirt sophomore season with a 91.7 pass-rushing grade. *Might be too small for a 4-3 DE
  • 28  Jaelan Phillips - Phillips' injury history will have to be thoroughly vetted, as he retired from the game altogether in 2018 due to concussions. Healthy and on a Miami line that allowed him the freedom to attack, Phillips showed why he was once a five-star recruit. He racked up 36 pressures over his final seven games
  • 31  Zaven Collins - At 6-foot-4, 260 pounds, Collins isn't your typical off-ball linebacker prospect. He dominates backs in blitz pickup and can chase them down in space, as well. His 91.1 overall grade this past season led all linebackers in college football.  *listed as a LB, but I think some team will try to make a DE out of him. 
  • 38  Carlos Basham Jr. - Basham had a bit of a down year, but he notched 112 pressures in the two seasons prior. He's a burly 285-pound edge who should be a pocket-pusher for years to come.  *Cousin of Tarell Basham
  • 57  Payton Turner  - Turner has an ideal edge build and the physicality to boot. He was pretty much unblockable in the four games before getting hurt in 2020, earning a 90.0 pass-rushing grade.
  • 61  Ronnie Perkins - Perkins is the only edge in the class who can boast a run-defense and pass-rushing grade over 90.0 this past season. He's a speed-rusher that recorded four-plus pressures in each of his final five games this season.
  • 65  Joseph Ossai - Ossai flourished in his first year as an every-down pass-rusher in 2020. He earned an 80.5 pass-rushing grade and an 81.1 run-defense grade across 588 snaps in nine games.
  • 80 Dayo Odeyingbo - Odeyingbo is one of the most versatile defensive linemen in the class, with a body type and quicks to win from anywhere. Unfortunately, he tore his Achilles in January.
  • 84  Rashad Weaver - Weaver is a big, long, NFL-ready edge. He's a limited athlete but wins with his hands and play strength.
  • 86  Joe Tryon - Tryon is a long, explosive edge who never quite put it all together before opting out in 2020. He only earned a 71.9 pass-rushing grade back in 2019.
  • 92  Cameron Sample - Sample has inside-outside versatility at 6-foot-3, 280 pounds. He's a power player who can win with his hands and earned a 90.4 pass-rushing grade in 2020.

I can see Houston coming back now that Autry is gone. There isn't really anybody in the FA that would be that much more productive than Houston over a one or two year deal. I don't think we have enough draft capital to cover both positions. Houston on the right and Phillips or Rousseau on the left would be a solid duo imo. LT in the second (with a stop-gap FA)

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

I can see Houston coming back now that Autry is gone. There isn't really anybody in the FA that would be that much more productive than Houston over a one or two year deal. I don't think we have enough draft capital to cover both positions. Houston on the right and Phillips or Rousseau on the left would be a solid duo imo. LT in the second (with a stop-gap FA)

Can see the Colts replace Houston with Ryan Kerrigan.  As for Autry still like to bring in Efe Obada cheap to compete as well.  Don’t expect the Colts to draft an edge player until 4-5th Rounds.  Assume we take a LT and then shock folks by trading back out of Round 2, draft early Round 3 (via NYJ) and take RG Ben Cleveland to replace Glowinski next season.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Top Questions

1. Will Houston be back as our DE1? Or will Ballard go after someone else in FA? I really doubt our #1 DE will be replaced by anyone currently on the roster, at least not at this point.
  2. Who will replace Autry at DE2. Is Turay ready? Will they give Lewis a shot? Comittee? A FA? An early round draft pick?
  3. Can Banogu finally make some noise? If he doesn't take at least a small step forward, I wouildn't be shocked to see him demoted to the PS.
  4. Starting 3T (Buckner) and NT (Stewart) are still here. Stallworth was re-signed. Only real questions to me are if Lewis plays more of a DE role, who will be 3T depth. Will Windsor emerge as a role player?

My thoughts in general.

1. Need to go 1st round in the draft even if we do bring back Houston. We need to make a move for the future. More 2nd and 3rd rounders won't do. And as expected, most of the top FA DEs got overpaid early.
  2. We should bring back Houston if it works financially as a bridge at first, who transitions to a rotational guy as the rook comes along.
  3. There are plenty of aging DEs that are still performing, and tweener-like guys available in FA that can fill Autry's role. Sucks to lose him, but we can find a guy. Hopefully Turay emerges to soften the blow at DE2
  4. Lewis will need to step up as a flex guy regardless. I don't see him as a starter, but his minutes need to increase this year. He's in a contract year.

Projected Starters (currently on Roster)
DE1 - ?
3T - Buckner
NT - Stewart
DE2 - ?

Individual Comments

Assumed 53

• Buckner (3T) - stud, and everyone knows it. No need to say anything more.
  • Stewart (NT) - Not flashy, but gets the job done. Stuggled a bit with missed Ts last year and his sacks went down after getting a bigger role. Still, he was a steady part of one of the best run Ds in the league.  
  • Turay (DE) - lost a year after a very promising start to his career. Will he be ready and rust-free to start the season? Can he compete for a starting 3 down DE spot? Or is he just a situational guy? He was considered a better run stopper than pass rusher in college, so can he put it all together? 
  • Tyquan Lewis (3T/DE) - took a nice step forward last season. He's still lacking vs the run, and has limited length, but can he take another step forward and compete for Autry's DE/tweener spot?

Candidates with a leg up

• Taylor Stallworth (DT) - re-signed to 1 year deal in January. His new contract doesn't guarantee him a spot on the 53, and I'm sure he'll have camp competition, but the re-sign at least shows the Colts thought enough of him to keep him off the market. His PFF grades were poor, but he's still a young developing young guy. Hoping he's hitting the weights. 
  • Ben Banogu (DE) - So far, a disappointment as far as 2nd rounders go. Might this be the year things click? Can he make it through camp? Nothing would surprise me. Hoping he spent the off season with a good technique coach.  

PS/Futures guys trying to make the roster or PS

• Rob Windsor (DT) - PS and temp elevated and back to PS. Signed a futures contract in January. I don't have high hopes, but would love to see him develop into a decent depth piece. 
  • Chris Williams (DT) - Small school young guy. Might take time to develop but not a bad guy to have on the PS and be patient with.

Free Agents (Colts)

• Houston (DE) - Decent production, and top 10 in Pass Rush Win Rate. Aging, but still solid. Unless he falls off a cliff, still gas in the tank for another year IMO. I'd love to see him as a pure bridge guy this year, and that we also draft his heir apparent in the 1st. 
  • Autry (DE) - signed as a 3-4 DE for the Titans. He was a good flex piece, and will be missed.
  • AQM (DE) - limited, but decent depth piece. 

Free Agents (outside) - given we seem to have iDL covered, will list mostly DE and DE/3T type guys. 

Note - Listed in order of PFF rank (from their list of top 200 FAs). Only listing top 10-15. Bolded my favorite FAs.

• 33. EDGE JADEVEON CLOWNEY - One of the better run stopping DEs. Not great vs the pass, but still one of the better all around guys. I'd love him as DE2, not DE1.
    • Prediction: One-year, $13 million, fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 60. EDGE MELVIN INGRAM III - Aging but still solid. He's another guy I'd be fine with at DE2, not DE1. 
    • Prediction: Two years, $20M ($10M APY): $16M total guaranteed, $14M fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 85. EDGE ALDON SMITH - aging but still performing. Candidate for D2. IMO the prediction is high for his age. 
    • Prediction: Two years, $15 million ($7.5M APY): $10 million total guaranteed, $8 million fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 86. EDGE CARLOS DUNLAP - another aging guy still playing at a high level.
    • Prediction: Dunlap signs for one year, $9 million, $7.5 million total guaranteed.
  • 104. EDGE HAASON REDDICK - Not a candidate at DE IMO due to his 6-1 / 235 size. Would be a great pass rushing SAM/LB though. He's plain bad in coverage though.
    • Prediction: One year, $8.5 million fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 112. EDGE TAKKARIST MCKINLEY - Potential never realized. Former first rounder with a history of meh results, failed physicals, but flashes. Still young though, and maybe he clicks for someone. I think the prediction is high given the actual production.
    • Prediction: Three years, $28.5 million ($9.5M APY): $18 million total guaranteed, $14.5 million fully guaranteed at signing. 
  • 118. DI NDAMUKONG SUH - one of the few iDL I'll list. If he's cheap, I'd definitely take a flyer on him under 5M to match situationally with Buckner.
    • Prediction: One year, $6.75 million fully guaranteed at signing.
  • 129. EDGE TYUS BOWSER - An intriguing athlete. Young, but probably too small to be an every down DE for us unless he can put on 10LBs. I'd love to see him as a MIKE or SAM though. He and Leonard would be lit.
    • Prediction: Three years, $21 million ($7M APY), $10 million fully guaranteed.
  • 146. EDGE ADRIAN CLAYBORN - I'll pass on this one.
    • Prediction: Clayborn signs for one year, $2.25 million, $1.75 million total guaranteed.
  • 149. EDGE TARELL BASHAM - Did Ballard give up on Basham too early? He's been pretty solid for the NYJs. Could we see some irony and him back in Indy?
    • Prediction: Basham signs for two years, $13 million ($6.5M APY), $7 million total guaranteed.
  • 152. DI QUINTON JEFFERSON - listed as a DL, but IMO could fill the tweener role nicely, or even straight up DE if he lost 10LBs. I'd love to grab him to fill Autry's spot at 4M.
    • Prediction: Jefferson signs for one year, $4 million, $2.25 million total guaranteed.
  • 156. EDGE OLIVIER VERNON - aging and coming off a January Achilles injury. He was playing good football though. If you could sign him for the league minimum with the expectation he won't be ready week 1, that would be a decent flyer.
    • Prediction: Vernon signs for one year, $2.075 million, $1.075 million total guaranteed.
  • 170. EDGE JORDAN JENKINS - depth only for me.
    • Prediction: Jenkins signs a one-year, $5 million deal, $3.5 million total guaranteed. 
  • 178. EDGE KERRY HYDER - depth only for me.
    • Projection: Hyder signs for two-years, $9 million ($4.5M APY), $5 million total guaranteed.
  • 180. DI DEREK WOLFE - another aging guy, that would be good in a "by-committee" approach or as depth.
    • Prediction: Wolfe signs for two years, $14 million ($7M APY), $8 million total guaranteed.

Draft Prospects - Again, listing mostly DEs or DE/3T tweeners, and using PFFs list. Limiting to guys I think are 1st and 2nd round prospects. 

• 11  Kwity Paye  - Paye has everything you could want physically to be an every-down problem in the NFL. While he never put it altogether at Michigan, he's shown he can take to coaching and has made strides every single year.
  • 20  Jayson Oweh  - Oweh can do things physically that other edge rushers can only dream of. With reported 4.3 speed, he can play both ends of an option play with ease. The Penn State product took a massive step forward this season as a run defender in his first season as a starter, earning an 89.8 grade in the process.
  • 23  Gregory Rousseau - Yet another opt-out. Rousseau has the tools to be a top-five pick, but it's hard to bank on him after only one year of college football. His absurd length and versatility will be a selling point for teams.
  • 25  Azeez Ojulari -Ojulari was one of the biggest risers with his play in 2020. He's the best pure speed rusher in the class and will threaten the edge against even the most athletic tackles in the league. He finished his redshirt sophomore season with a 91.7 pass-rushing grade. *Might be too small for a 4-3 DE
  • 28  Jaelan Phillips - Phillips' injury history will have to be thoroughly vetted, as he retired from the game altogether in 2018 due to concussions. Healthy and on a Miami line that allowed him the freedom to attack, Phillips showed why he was once a five-star recruit. He racked up 36 pressures over his final seven games
  • 31  Zaven Collins - At 6-foot-4, 260 pounds, Collins isn't your typical off-ball linebacker prospect. He dominates backs in blitz pickup and can chase them down in space, as well. His 91.1 overall grade this past season led all linebackers in college football.  *listed as a LB, but I think some team will try to make a DE out of him. 
  • 38  Carlos Basham Jr. - Basham had a bit of a down year, but he notched 112 pressures in the two seasons prior. He's a burly 285-pound edge who should be a pocket-pusher for years to come.  *Cousin of Tarell Basham
  • 57  Payton Turner  - Turner has an ideal edge build and the physicality to boot. He was pretty much unblockable in the four games before getting hurt in 2020, earning a 90.0 pass-rushing grade.
  • 61  Ronnie Perkins - Perkins is the only edge in the class who can boast a run-defense and pass-rushing grade over 90.0 this past season. He's a speed-rusher that recorded four-plus pressures in each of his final five games this season.
  • 65  Joseph Ossai - Ossai flourished in his first year as an every-down pass-rusher in 2020. He earned an 80.5 pass-rushing grade and an 81.1 run-defense grade across 588 snaps in nine games.
  • 80 Dayo Odeyingbo - Odeyingbo is one of the most versatile defensive linemen in the class, with a body type and quicks to win from anywhere. Unfortunately, he tore his Achilles in January.
  • 84  Rashad Weaver - Weaver is a big, long, NFL-ready edge. He's a limited athlete but wins with his hands and play strength.
  • 86  Joe Tryon - Tryon is a long, explosive edge who never quite put it all together before opting out in 2020. He only earned a 71.9 pass-rushing grade back in 2019.
  • 92  Cameron Sample - Sample has inside-outside versatility at 6-foot-3, 280 pounds. He's a power player who can win with his hands and earned a 90.4 pass-rushing grade in 2020.

Dude, this is sooo much work any response seems inadequate.  I would say of we go LT in FA then I like us going rush end in Rd 1. My guess is Ballard would be interested in Eric Fisher as a known quantity in KC.  If that happens, or some other FA at LT, then someone like Oweh makes perfect sense.  Until we see FA moves it's really impossible to predict draft strategies. Your list is educational, thank you. 

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Dude, this is sooo much work any response seems inadequate.  I would say of we go LT in FA then I like us going rush end in Rd 1. My guess is Ballard would be interested in Eric Fisher as a known quantity in KC.  If that happens, or some other FA at LT, then someone like Oweh makes perfect sense.  Until we see FA moves it's really impossible to predict draft strategies. Your list is educational, thank you. 

LOL. Yup, it's some work, but a lot of copy/paste lol. I do something similar every year just to educate myself on the bigger positions, or positions of need. 

On the draft prospects, I'm a little gun shy on the Miami guys, but either could turn out to be good. I think I like Ojulari and Oweh best from a long term perspective. IMO, it's just a bad year (partly due to covid) for the DE draft depth, and not a great FA crop either. 

I am a little surprised there aren't more DE trades this year with teams tight on cap. DE is just one of those positions where teams overspend, and abuse other positions in order to make room for. 

I can't vote because I have to vote for al 3 and the there is no answer I can get behind for the 3rd question.   

1st I would never say draft one of the players you listed as an absolute especially without knowing who is still on the board.  And I can't say "Don't take a DE at all". Because a DE might be the best player available.

Need more options.

4 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

I can't vote because I have to vote for al 3 and the there is no answer I can get behind for the 3rd question.   

1st I would never say draft one of the players you listed as an absolute especially without knowing who is still on the board.  And I can't say "Don't take a DE at all". Because a DE might be the best player available.

Need more options.

I think, you're overthinking.

b228138ca189b63989d295492e8a8b16.gif

Appreciate all the homework you did here...

For my two cents...   (and may not be worth that much!)   I think Oweh is the most Ballard-like guy.   Freakish athlete, and raw, with huge upside.    But it will take a BRAVE GM (and Ballard is that) to introduce a 1st round draft pick, a pass rushing specialist that recorded ZERO SACKS last year after getting 5 the year before.   That's a hard HARD sell.   Ballard will do it if he thinks that's the guy,  but it's not easy.

I'm a trade down a little and take an OT in the first guy.   So, for pick 54,  of the rest of your excellent list,  I'm in the camp for four players.    Turner, Perkins, Ossai and Tryon.     Those guys feel the closest for what Ballard wants and might still be there at pick 54.     A first round LT and a second round DE is what I hope we do at the draft.    With a little luck, we can trade down in the first, collect a 3rd, and use that pick on a needed CB.    And then a WR in the 4th and a TE or Safety in the 5th depending on how FA plays out.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Appreciate all the homework you did here...

For my two cents...   (and may not be worth that much!)   I think Oweh is the most Ballard-like guy.   Freakish athlete, and raw, with huge upside.    But it will take a BRAVE GM (and Ballard is that) to introduce a 1st round draft pick, a pass rushing specialist that recorded ZERO SACKS last year after getting 5 the year before.   That's a hard HARD sell.   Ballard will do it if he thinks that's the guy,  but it's not easy.

I'm a trade down a little and take an OT in the first guy.   So, for pick 54,  of the rest of your excellent list,  I'm in the camp for four players.    Turner, Perkins, Ossai and Tryon.     Those guys feel the closest for what Ballard wants and might still be there at pick 54.     A first round LT and a second round DE is what I hope we do at the draft.    With a little luck, we can trade down in the first, collect a 3rd, and use that pick on a needed CB.    And then a WR in the 4th and a TE or Safety in the 5th depending on how FA plays out.

I think ultimately, a 3-4 team will go after both Ojulari and Oweh as OLBs. Both will need 2-3 years if drafted by a 4-3 team, both starting as pass rush specialists. Oweh has better size for a 4-3 though, so more ready-now to contribute for us. 

Gregory Rousseau, if it wasn't for my Miami-scheme-phobia, would be my #1. That, and the fact he opted out last year so will need some time to shake the rust off. He's the most realistic and best fit for us out of the gate.

All of the early DEs (even Paye) give me some kind of concern this year. Part of the covid fog impact I guess, along with just not being that good/deep. Would be surprised to see some mid round guys become better than the early one.

An FA update before I hit the pillow.

Leonard Williams [Franchise tagged by Giants]

Trey Hendrickson [Signs with Bengals on a 4-year, $60M deal]

Yannick Ngakoue [Signs with Raiders on a 2-year, $26M deal]

JJ Watt [Signs with Cardinals on a 2-year, $28M deal]

Carl Lawson [Signs with Jets on a 3-year, $45M deal]

Romeo Okwara [Re-signs with Lions on a 3-year, $39M deal]

Mario Edwards [Re-signs with Bears on a 3-year, $11.5M deal]

Roy Robertson-Harris [Signs with Jaguars on a 3-year, $24M deal]

Stephen Weatherly [Signs with Vikings on a 1-year, $2.5M deal]

Henry Anderson [Signs with Patriots on a 2-year, $7.5M deal]

Dawuane Smoot [Re-signs with Jaguars on a 2-year, $14M deal]

Deatrich Wise [Re-signs with Patriots on a 4-year, $30M deal]

Per NFL.com's FA list, Houston is the 7th best FA still available, and 2nd best DE (behind Clowney).

Lots of productive and older DEs still available though. I'd prefer Houston easily over all the other DEs available. Dunlap is also a good option for a short term deal as well. 

On 3/16/2021 at 7:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I am not sold on Oweh and personally think he is way over-rated and will be a draft bust.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:14 PM, EastStreet said:

Gregory Rousseau, if it wasn't for my Miami-scheme-phobia, would be my #1. That, and the fact he opted out last year so will need some time to shake the rust off. He's the most realistic and best fit for us out of the gate.

Rousseau would be my top candidate to replace Houston with Ossai as my second option to draft early.  

3 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Rousseau would be my top candidate to replace Houston with Ossai as my second option to draft early.  

Yep, if he wasn't from Miami, he'd be a no brainer for me. I still want him though. Just wonder how much rust he has, and how much his success was scheme dependent. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Yep, if he wasn't from Miami, he'd be a no brainer for me. I still want him though. Just wonder how much rust he has, and how much his success was scheme dependent. 

Am going to assume it’s muscle memory and most players who took off will pick the game back up rather easily.  Players miss a year due to an injury come back better/worse than before.  Sure the kid has been playing since school and college so a year off shouldn’t be too much of a set back if he was truly preparing for the draft.  Work with some martial art instructor learn how to counter hand moves.  

Would hope kids are still be working to hone their craft.  See how well he interviews and what he was doing the past year find out where his head is mentally and what his workout routine to prep for the draft. If we get back good feedback would take him easily.  Time will tell...

On 3/18/2021 at 9:57 AM, OhioColt said:

Am going to assume it’s muscle memory and most players who took off will pick the game back up rather easily.  Players miss a year due to an injury come back better/worse than before.  Sure the kid has been playing since school and college so a year off shouldn’t be too much of a set back if he was truly preparing for the draft.  Work with some martial art instructor learn how to counter hand moves.  

Would hope kids are still be working to hone their craft.  See how well he interviews and what he was doing the past year find out where his head is mentally and what his workout routine to prep for the draft. If we get back good feedback would take him easily.  Time will tell...

Sure, but some will naturally be rustier than others. I also hope they were working on their craft and conditioning while off, but we know it comes down to human nature, and some people work harder than others. Regardless, it'll never be near as good as actually play time.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:04 PM, EastStreet said:

I like Rousseau but I prefer Jaelan Phillips if he can check out with regards to those concussions. He looks a more natural bendier pass rusher compared to Rousseau.

Archived