Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Free Agency is affecting the Colts.

Mackrel829

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

TJ Watt is a 3-4 OLB, he does not fit our defense.   He didn’t before the draft or now. 

King is a small corner.  We have one with Moore.  Ballard prefers taller corners.   And practically the entire NFL passed on Metcalf not once, but twice!  

No member of this community has made more predictions than you.  Congrats on the ones you got right.  But for every one you got right, you probably have a dozen or more completely wrong.  You have a habit of forgetting those.  How convenient.  

Not really....

38 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I know we come off as impatient, but we are an nfl fan base... This isn't a zen class to see how calm and patient we can all be.

I think we need pass rush and they are disappearing off the market quickly.  It will be hard to close out good teams if we don't upgrade there, and the draft isn't looking good.

Hotish take?  I would be ok with letting Smith go if thats what it takes to clear up room for an edge

That's awesome dude.  We certainly have some would be meditation instructors on here.

I'm just confused as to what the Colts are doing at the moment.

Why wouldn't they have already signed Leonard to an extension? 

Surely; they aren't working on our own team's extensions in the present moment. 

I'm just confused why we haven't even resigned anybody. We just now made our first move and tendered Zach Pascal. 

Really confused as to why the Colts have waited to do or announce obvious moves 

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Free agency spending worked out well for the Bucs last year....

By the same logic, the free agency spending for the other 31 teams did NOT work out well...

Also, the Bucs waited on good deals like Fournette.

It wasn’t all day-1 big-name splash signings, like everyone wants every single offseason.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

By the same logic, the free agency spending for the other 31 teams did NOT work out well...

Also, the Bucs waited on good deals like Fournette.

It wasn’t all day-1 big-name splash signings, like everyone wants every single offseason.

I don't want every big name free agent...All along Trent Williams and Galloday have been who I thought could make the difference between a legitimate contender or a 6th seed...We can still do that so now lets pray...

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Gosh, only the colts have some players that they want to resign in the future.

:sarcasm:

Thats about the truth! Only the Colts have that issue every year we stay way under the cap like thats a great thing...I'd rather try to win then perpetually building for a future that may never come...

57 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What big name first day free agents did they sign?

Tom Brady, and I didn't say 1st day, I said free agency worked out well for them...If we get Golladay and Trent Williams we will be legitimate contenders...Those are difference makers, why they aren't cheap...Those were my top 2 from the beginning, so Im hoping Ballard sees it...

29 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Tom Brady, and I didn't say 1st day, I said free agency worked out well for them...If we get Golladay and Trent Williams we will be legitimate contenders...Those are difference makers, why they aren't cheap...Those were my top 2 from the beginning, so Im hoping Ballard sees it...

Ballard has a plan.   No doubt about that.    The success of the team hinges on Wentz 

On 3/16/2021 at 12:53 PM, AustexColt said:

I am feeling positive ALREADY because we resolved the biggest FA question:  Carson Wentz is going to be our QB, have a healthy salary cap and Ballard pulling the trigger. 

I’m not feeling great about Wentz.  There is a reason the Patriots didn’t go after him lol

9 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

You guys realize getting Carson was a trade that became official once FA began. This was the big move. 

No, they don't this is the TMZ culture. They want flashy names, and headlines. Nearly every year, teams makes splashy FA signings as soon as FAgency begins. It rarely looks good post season. 

On 3/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, jshipp23 said:

You realize the cap is gonna explode next year  with new TV deal?.. 50 million or maybe even more..We will have plenty of $$ to resign our guys, thats a weak excuse..

This warning is engraved in my forward looking mirror: "Objects in the future are closer than they appear".

On 3/19/2021 at 2:21 PM, ManningsArmy said:

I’m not feeling great about Wentz.  There is a reason the Patriots didn’t go after him lol

Yes because their feelings over Cam clearly indicate the Patriots know exactly what they’re doing at QB!

I assume a lot of the hesitancy to go after Wentz involved the fact that everyone knows he wanted to go to Indy and that we were involved. Who wants to take on a reclamation project if he doesn’t even really want to be there?

On 3/16/2021 at 3:11 PM, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t know?

Darius Leonard.

Braden Smith.

Nahem Hines.

Quinton Nelson

Not sure about Hines affecting our cap to be honest but we've heard this excuse for basically 2 off-seasons now and it's starting not to wash.

We've hit on 2 stars and an above average player in about 4 drafts. Surely that doesn't preclude you from going after any significant free agents for 3 seasons when you have amongst the most cap room in the league. Yes, be mindful of the cap but we're not even close.

It's a very weird strand of our fan base that seems to revel in the Colts being cheap rather than actually trying to be successful. I don't get it.

35 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Not sure about Hines affecting our cap to be honest but we've heard this excuse for basically 2 off-seasons now and it's starting not to wash.

We've hit on 2 stars and an above average player in about 4 drafts. Surely that doesn't preclude you from going after any significant free agents for 3 seasons when you have amongst the most cap room in the league. Yes, be mindful of the cap but we're not even close.

It's a very weird strand of our fan base that seems to revel in the Colts being cheap rather than actually trying to be successful. I don't get it.

Ballard is doing what he has always done.   Be patient.    I don’t see us as cheap,  I see us as being prudent and smart.

Ballard reminds us every year that the teams that are judged to have “won” the free agency period typically do not do well in the regular season.   That those sexy big name signings from a few years back get cut or traded having produced very little value.  Then the team takes a bad dead cap hit.  Ballard doesn’t play that game.  

I get that you’re frustrated and disappointed. But I believe in what we’re doing and I’m willing to be patient as a fan.

Of course, your mileage may vary....

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

Leonard, Nelson, Smith Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Rodgers, Okereke, Willis, Tell, Hines, Mack, Stewart, Walker.

Which 2 are stars and which is the one above average player?

Might as well put Buckner on that list as that was who Ballard got with our first round pick last year.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Leonard, Nelson, Smith Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Rodgers, Okereke, Willis, Tell, Hines, Mack, Stewart, Walker.

Which 2 are stars and which is the one above average player?

Might as well put Buckner on that list as that was who Ballard got with our first round pick last year.

I was talking about the 4 players on the post I quoted that were being used as reasons why we couldn't be a bit more aggressive in free agency. That's why I quoted that post.

None of the others we need to worry about resigning in the near future. Some of the ones you listed we don't need to worry about signing at all.

In general though the Leonard/Nelson contracts have been used as reasons why we've been told that we can only focus on second tier free agents for about 3 years despite us having amongst the highest amount of cap space. I could understand then almost exclusive focus on "sign an develop your own" if we were in Championship games every year but at some point surely there players in the first 'rounds of free agency who could help us and still work within our massive capacity space?

On 3/16/2021 at 12:53 PM, NewColtsFan said:

TJ Watt is a 3-4 OLB, he does not fit our defense.   He didn’t before the draft or now. 

King is a small corner.  We have one with Moore.  Ballard prefers taller corners.   And practically the entire NFL passed on Metcalf not once, but twice!  

No member of this community has made more predictions than you.  Congrats on the ones you got right.  But for every one you got right, you probably have a dozen or more completely wrong.  You have a habit of forgetting those.  How convenient.  

Brown and Metcalf  were there. We literally  could have picked both

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I take a back seat to no one in how much I like Lance Zierlein.   But the Barrymore pick was a complete head scratcher.   We’re going to use our first round pick on..........   depth?   On a guy who would be....   a backup?

I like Barrymore and have moved him up my board.   But the pick was a head scratcher to me. 

On 3/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, Indyfan4life said:

Jags just signed Griffin.

No, he signed with Nets.

59 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I was talking about the 4 players on the post I quoted that were being used as reasons why we couldn't be a bit more aggressive in free agency. That's why I quoted that post.

None of the others we need to worry about resigning in the near future. Some of the ones you listed we don't need to worry about signing at all.

In general though the Leonard/Nelson contracts have been used as reasons why we've been told that we can only focus on second tier free agents for about 3 years despite us having amongst the highest amount of cap space. I could understand then almost exclusive focus on "sign an develop your own" if we were in Championship games every year but at some point surely there players in the first 'rounds of free agency who could help us and still work within our massive capacity space?

But you post had this:

"We've hit on 2 stars and an above average player in about 4 drafts."

Ballard has hit on far more than that.  

I don't know why Ballard is thrifty.   There may be several reasons.   Irsay is his boss so I think he takes order from him.

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

But you post had this:

"We've hit on 2 stars and an above average player in about 4 drafts."

Ballard has hit on far more than that.  

I don't know why Ballard is thrifty.   There may be several reasons.   Irsay is his boss so I think he takes order from him.

Yes and within the 4 drafts I spoke of they are the only players who are affecting anything to do with the cap. On the context of the discussion topic I thought it was relatively clear.

Archived