Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rhodes sending a message?

CR91

On 3/12/2021 at 2:26 PM, joecolts said:

I really hope Rhodes takes a little less, resigns here and has a desire to chase the Lombardi with the Colts.  He deserves a big money Cornerback contract but, really hoping loyalty, a desire to play for a team on the verge and the chance to be a major contributor motivates him more than money.  

I know, maybe I'm a homer but, I'm hoping.  

we need a permanent answer at corner not a 31 year old corner .  last year was his peak like mannings in 2013 its all down hill from here .  we need to get a young corner for a long term deal .  the 49ers have a good free agent corner hitting the market i forget his name . 

30 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

we need a permanent answer at corner not a 31 year old corner .  last year was his peak like mannings in 2013 its all down hill from here .  we need to get a young corner for a long term deal .  the 49ers have a good free agent corner hitting the market i forget his name . 

It’d be ideal to have permanent answers to every position.  In today’s game, that’s not possible.  Transitional and stop gaps are and will continue to be needed.  Rhodes is a good one to fill such a role 

6 hours ago, Hoose said:

While I don't believe Rhodes will get a $10m per year offer at this point in his career (I know you were just giving an example to make a point, East), I also believe that he's worth $8m per year and that the Colts will sign him to a 2-3 year deal with a decent guarantee ($12m?). They need him and he needs them. That's a good recipe for a deal. 

I'd be a little surprised if we weren't competitive. Especially given the general cap situation, and given Indy is in pretty good shape. Like you said, it's a mutual situation for both. My personal preference is a 2 year deal. 3 would be one too many given his age.

40 minutes ago, joecolts said:

It’d be ideal to have permanent answers to every position.  In today’s game, that’s not possible.  Transitional and stop gaps are and will continue to be needed.  Rhodes is a good one to fill such a role 

i rather go for underrated younger guys , like when ballard signed autry in 2017 for cheap and he became our best pass rusher .   rhodes is gonna want top dollar because of his play when you only have 45 million to spend and need two corners two pass rushers and a wr you need to be cheap

Casey Hayward is now also available. Just because he's "chasing big money" doesn't mean he'll get it. He's coming off a bounce back year, but before that was having back to back below average years and was cut. Darby is another good option if Rhoads leaves. Hayward is the same age as Rhoads but I think better.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

i rather go for underrated younger guys , like when ballard signed autry in 2017 for cheap and he became our best pass rusher .   rhodes is gonna want top dollar because of his play when you only have 45 million to spend and need two corners two pass rushers and a wr you need to be cheap

You think Rhodes will get top dollar at his age, and given he's really limited to a zone CB?

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Which is why my original comment was a desire to see Rhodes take less simply to stay here.  That was and remains my point 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You think Rhodes will get top dollar at his age, and given he's really limited to a zone CB?

I have not read anywhere that Rhodes is asking or looking for top dollar.

The only comments I have seen is those who are assuming that is what he wants. 

Ballard will have a number in mind so we wait now. 

Personally I hope he stays. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I haven't seen anything about him wanting anything specific. Just the predictions around 8M which is moderate.

IMO, he'll be realistic, and I don't think the market for him will be too crazy.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I haven't seen anything about him wanting anything specific. Just the predictions around 8M which is moderate.

IMO, he'll be realistic, and I don't think the market for him will be too crazy.

True but at the same time, I don't see anyone bending over backwards to sign a middle class cornerback over 30. Maybe a team like Jacksonville pays him full freight but outside of that I don't see it happening unless...

If the Colts say, maybe restructure Buckner's deal to open up cap space this year by converting his roster bonus to a signing bonus, it might be feasible to sign Rhodes to a 2 year deal because that gives a younger player time to develop at the position and you're not kicking too many cans too far down the road in terms of cap hit.

A lot of "ifs" here. If Ballard traded back from #21 the Colts could land a guy like Cosmi without reaching for him and signed a big name edge guy, it could work out well. Personally I'm always a little sketchy on paying top dollar for edge talent past 30 but there are exceptions out there like Watt.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

i would mind if he doesnt want top dollar . If he wants over ten million it would be better to get younger in my opinion .

On 3/12/2021 at 8:40 PM, Scott Pennock said:

His COLTS number in blue, then a roadblock sign.....with a highlight video of some of his best plays as a Colt.

My best hunch means that he is not leaving Indy......aka he is re-signing with the Colts.

Seems like to me he’s saying his time as #27 in Colts blue has come to the end of the road.  And the song is basically him saying that he feels he balled out last year and deserves a certain $$$ amount & years and he’s * that Ballard sees differently.  So he’s headed elsewhere.  

Maybe if the market isn’t as high for him as he hopes, we can still get him back.  Familiarity with our system and him staying relatively healthy all season could be great selling points.  Also wouldn’t hurt to land a nice Edge rusher or WR early in free agency. Could sway others to follow suit. 

11 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

True but at the same time, I don't see anyone bending over backwards to sign a middle class cornerback over 30. Maybe a team like Jacksonville pays him full freight but outside of that I don't see it happening unless...

If the Colts say, maybe restructure Buckner's deal to open up cap space this year by converting his roster bonus to a signing bonus, it might be feasible to sign Rhodes to a 2 year deal because that gives a younger player time to develop at the position and you're not kicking too many cans too far down the road in terms of cap hit.

A lot of "ifs" here. If Ballard traded back from #21 the Colts could land a guy like Cosmi without reaching for him and signed a big name edge guy, it could work out well. Personally I'm always a little sketchy on paying top dollar for edge talent past 30 but there are exceptions out there like Watt.

Doubt he's the reason they'd attempt a restructure. Any restructure this year or next would likely be due to rook contracts expiring for some of our elite guys.

8M is not full freight, and is what most sights are projecting. 2 years at 8M a year is pretty reasonable for his production combined with age IMO.

Archived