Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rhodes sending a message?

CR91

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How is him posting his highlight video sending a message. I don’t think with the cap issue he will get much more then what the colts are going to offer. If I had my guess he will be back.

I just thought it was interesting he put up a highlight reel days before FA opens up

Honestly, this video makes me believe he is coming back more. If he would have posted old Minnesota highlights too, then it would be a warning sign. 

I don't see why Rhodes would want to leave. This is the perfect scheme for him and he knows it. 

But, Peterson, Darby, and Sherman are all solid options to replace him if he is only $$ chasing. 

I really hope Rhodes takes a little less, resigns here and has a desire to chase the Lombardi with the Colts.  He deserves a big money Cornerback contract but, really hoping loyalty, a desire to play for a team on the verge and the chance to be a major contributor motivates him more than money.  

I know, maybe I'm a homer but, I'm hoping.  

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm fine with it

Plenty of solid CBS in draft

Hoping Colts draft Melifonwu 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If he doesn't want to sign back with Indy for a short term affordable deal for the Colts, being that he is 31 years old, then I would hope Ballard moves on and gets a guy like Jaycee Horn in the draft. 

The thing about drafting a CB in the draft is it normally takes 2-3 years for a rookie to learn to play CB. 

I don't see how tweeting out a highlight video of yourself is sending a message, even if it's a week before free agency. Players definitely tweet out "coded" messages, but I don't see this as one at all. The blue and white 27 makes me actually think the opposite.

Rhodes has made a lot of money in his career and he seems to be thinking more about a good fit than chasing the $$'s.

38 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't see how tweeting out a highlight video of yourself is sending a message, even if it's a week before free agency. Players definitely tweet out "coded" messages, but I don't see this as one at all. The blue and white 27 makes me actually think the opposite.

Rhodes has made a lot of money in his career and he seems to be thinking more about a good fit than chasing the $$'s.

this lacks logic.

By your way of thinking, he should of included MN clips. Not that I agree or disagree, this comment just doesn't make sense. 

7 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

this lacks logic.

By your way of thinking, he should of included MN clips. Not that I agree or disagree, this comment just doesn't make sense. 

Which part lacks logic? The first portion or my last statement?

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

Which part lacks logic? The first portion or my last statement?

The part about making money. I don't think we can make any assumptions from the video, which you seem to agree with. Also the fact that he is in blue and white really just has nothing to do with anything; other than the fact it's his most recent tape. 

I guarantee he wants to come back. He was resurrected in our zone, and will struggle if he goes to a team with a different scheme. Colts want him back, and he wants to come back. If he chases the money, he better chase it to somewhere with a similar scheme.

2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

I'm not really sure how but I've never actually seen South Park. 

I'm sure the reference is on point though!

This is the clip he’s referring to; it does have some cartoon violence in it

https://youtu.be/Bn2jEXqLcSQ

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

this lacks logic.

Actually, your comment doesn't make sense.

Suppose I say "he might of enough money".  Make sense?

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

The part about making money. I don't think we can make any assumptions from the video, which you seem to agree with. Also the fact that he is in blue and white really just has nothing to do with anything; other than the fact it's his most recent tape. 

When he originally signed with us, he emphasized the reason he chose us was due to his fit with our team, coach staff, and the scheme. After a hideous last year in MIN, I think he realizes that he needs to be in the right defense to succeed and at this point in his career, he doesn't have many more chances to win a Super Bowl.

Now, I don't think he's going to give us some generous discount to resign with us, but I think he would leave money on the table to stay in our defense vs going elsewhere. He proved his worth to us last season and I think as long as Ballard comes at him with a respectful contract offer, he stays.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I guarantee he wants to come back. He was resurrected in our zone, and will struggle if he goes to a team with a different scheme. Colts want him back, and he wants to come back. If he chases the money, he better chase it to somewhere with a similar scheme.

I guarantee you he like 99% of players want to get paid.  If the Colts can get in the ballpark of what he can get on the open market he will back.  He’s not going to take a hometown discount to stay.  He wasn’t interested in that with the Vikings he won’t be here.

26 minutes ago, Shive said:

When he originally signed with us, he emphasized the reason he chose us was due to his fit with our team, coach staff, and the scheme. After a hideous last year in MIN, I think he realizes that he needs to be in the right defense to succeed and at this point in his career, he doesn't have many more chances to win a Super Bowl.

Now, I don't think he's going to give us some generous discount to resign with us, but I think he would leave money on the table to stay in our defense vs going elsewhere. He proved his worth to us last season and I think as long as Ballard comes at him with a respectful contract offer, he stays.

I don't think he'll give Indy a fire sale discount, but I wouldn't be shocked if he too 10-20% less to stay here on a multi year deal.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I guarantee you he like 99% of players want to get paid.  If the Colts can get in the ballpark of what he can get on the open market he will back.  He’s not going to take a hometown discount to stay.  He wasn’t interested in that with the Vikings he won’t be here.

I think we'll get a little discount, but I think the bigger thing will be scheme and guarantees. So take the the following options...

Option 1 - Indy offers 2 years, 16M, 10 guaranteed.

Option 2 - Team with a different scheme offers 20M, 10 guaranteed.

IMO, he'd take Indy's offer. His scheme fit means it's very likely he plays out his contract and makes all 16. If he goes to a different scheme, and regresses to MN form, he's likely to be a casualty in year 2, and only collect his guarantees. At his age, I'd be surprised if his guaranteed money in year 2 is all that much.

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think he'll give Indy a fire sale discount, but I wouldn't be shocked if he too 10-20% less to stay here on a multi year deal.

I think we'll get a little discount, but I think the bigger thing will be scheme and guarantees. So take the the following options...

IMO, he'd take Indy's offer. His scheme fit means it's very likely he plays out his contract and makes all 16. If he goes to a different scheme, and regresses to MN form, he's likely to be a casualty in year 2, and only collect his guarantees. At his age, I'd be surprised if his guaranteed money in year 2 is all that much.

Like I said in my post if the Colts can be close to what he will get on the open market he will stay.  Your example is exactly what I said.  I am just saying he won’t take pennies on the dollar to stay in Indy because of the scheme.  

2 hours ago, il vecchio said:

Actually, your comment doesn't make sense.

Suppose I say "he might of enough money".  Make sense?

I'm not talking to you, and it seems he understood my comment just fine. also, I never said i did not understand his take. I said it lakes logic, these are two different things.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

This makes a lot more sense.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like I said in my post if the Colts can be close to what he will get on the open market he will stay.  Your example is exactly what I said.  I am just saying he won’t take pennies on the dollar to stay in Indy because of the scheme.  

Yup. I don't think anyone expecting pennies on the dollar though to start with. He's a good fit, performed well, and is aging. He won't get an absorbent offer IMO, and Ballard has the cap to at least be fair and competitive. 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I don't think anyone expecting pennies on the dollar though to start with. He's a good fit, performed well, and is aging. He won't get an absorbent offer IMO, and Ballard has the cap to at least be fair and competitive. 

While I don't believe Rhodes will get a $10m per year offer at this point in his career (I know you were just giving an example to make a point, East), I also believe that he's worth $8m per year and that the Colts will sign him to a 2-3 year deal with a decent guarantee ($12m?). They need him and he needs them. That's a good recipe for a deal. 

Archived