Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts not expected to re-sign their FAs before Monday

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I strongly believe TY might be leaving 

If he gets an over the top offer, you can't blame him. But its hard to see that happening, given the cap constraints out there. And all those franchise tags just ate up a lot of $ for any of those teams thinking of diving into FA. For instance, the rumor that Tampa Bay might be interested? Not happening, given all the $ they've spent to hang onto their own. 

I think the Colts will have a good chance to keep TY, if they truly want to do that. 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Houston is definitely gone. I do think Ballard wants to bring back Rhodes and Hilton to affordable short term deals, considering both players are 31.

What info do you have about Houston? I haven't seen anything to indicate that. 

2 minutes ago, Hoose said:

If he gets an over the top offer, you can't blame him. But its hard to see that happening, given the cap constraints out there. And all those franchise tags just ate up a lot of $ for any of those teams thinking of diving into FA. For instance, the rumor that Tampa Bay might be interested? Not happening, given all the $ they've spent to hang onto their own. 

I think the Colts will have a good chance to keep TY, if they truly want to do that. 

Hilton ends up in New York IMO

200.gif

I think teams will spend money, just on fewer players. The good, sought after players will still sign good deals.

What I think will happen is that the players we wish to keep (T.Y., Rhodes, Houston) will receive good offers and will leave via free agency.

Ballard's not much of a spender in FA, so we will rely on the draft to fill these holes. The number of holes is increasing. Thankfully, Ballard is good at drafting.

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

There are a ton of edge rushers hitting the market. Barret, Dupree, Lawson, Yannick.

I must admit, I’m surprised we’re not making more of an effort to bring back Rhodes and one of Autry/Houston. Maybe we still will, but they gave us solid veteran play last year.

Ballard will be busy. That’s 5 starters that we need replacements for (DEx2, CB, WR, LT) and we need more cover at CB, move TE and LB (probably S too).

A lot to get done these next 2 months.

3 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I must admit, I’m surprised we’re not making more of an effort to bring back Rhodes and one of Autry/Houston. Maybe we still will, but they gave us solid veteran play last year.

Ballard will be busy. That’s 5 starters that we need replacements for (DEx2, CB, WR, LT) and we need more cover at CB, move TE and LB (probably S too).

A lot to get done these next 2 months.

I think it's smart because the market is not gonna be as wide open as it's been in years past. This means the players can see their value and the colts can potentially match.

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think it's smart because the market is not gonna be as wide open as it's been in years past. This means the players can see their value and the colts can potentially match.

Thats true, I guess there is a certain level of risk in case they do get signed by some other team. I think there will be a market for Rhodes.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Honestly I see this as a smart move, because this years Free Agency is gonna be different than any other with the cap being set at 182.5 million. Players are gonna find that most teams can't pay high contracts so contracts are gonna be cheap. Ballard is gonna wait and then make some smart signings or match contracts for a few resignings

A lot of good options on the market and not a lot of teams with money to pursue, look's like we're rolling the dice, I like it.

To be honest, only guy that I think will be hard to repleace is Rhodes. I like Hilton, Autry and Houston, but I also like a lot of DEs on this market as well, seems a good gamble for Ballard.

I think the Colts get Ronald Darby to replace Rhodes and sign another possible starter to compete with Ya-Sin & Tell on the outside. 

This is a loaded draft/FA for receivers. Hilton is slightly above average, but he is not a better bet to fulfill that contract than 10-12 other FA's out there. 

Houston is overrated. He is not worth more than $6 million a year IMO. He is solid, but he doesn't have the quick explosion like he used too from watching last years tape. 

I think we bring Autry back and AQM & sign a good edge rusher in FA. 

I have been on here for years checking in from time to time, reading thoughts and links to articles, and just want to say hands down best fan forum I've found. So many of you are so knowledgeable on the Colts and their history. I like to think I too am fairly knowledgeable on our Colts, but always find that a different way of looking at things are great. Whether I agree or not,  always a good read! Obviously first post, but wanted to get some of your thoughts? Do you all think there will be more short term contracts where a guy might take a little less this year to hit the market again next year hoping the salary cap goes up and they could possibly get a better contract then? I would think if things get a little more back to normal, there will be a higher salary cap next year. Just a thought. What you all say? Go Colts!

1 hour ago, DiogoSales said:

To be honest, only guy that I think will be hard to repleace is Rhodes. I like Hilton, Autry and Houston, but I also like a lot of DEs on this market as well, seems a good gamble for Ballard.

Same. I think Hilton can still play, but my reason for wanting to keep him is mostly sentimental. Rhodes is my #1 pending FA.

But when we signed him, I thought he might be a comp pick plant. Same for Burton. Sign them to one year deals, and if they play well and move on, you start accumulating comp pick capital. Meanwhile you still have your young players behind them (although I'm not sure the young guys can play). Mack and Hooker were part of the equation as well, but both got hurt.

But with the bloodbath that's happening around the league, a lot of players capable of replacing our pending FAs are going to be on the market, and will not count toward the comp pick formula. In theory, we could replace Hilton with Emmanuel Sanders, and get a 2022 comp pick for Hilton. We can replace Houston, Autry, Burton, and even Walker with vets released from other teams, maybe for less money, and still potentially get comp picks for the guys we lose.

Now, is that what's best for the 2021 roster? Maybe not, it's kind of a case-by-case analysis. But none of the players we're talking about are so good that they can't be replaced with second tier free agents over the next two weeks.

Except Rhodes. But he's 31, we get back Marvell Tell, they still like Ya Sin, and it's not like Rhodes is just soo good that our defense completely falls apart without him. I'd rather keep him, but if they've given him an indication what they're willing to pay, and he still wants to test the market, then that's kind of all they can do about it.

Ballard in a normal year would be playing a dangerous game letting all these guys test the market. But I think this year will be different with the lower cap. Our dline could be a mess if these guys leave for other teams and we can’t snag anyone else.  CB worries me too. Not as worried if TY leaves. Next week should be very interesting.

The problem with many Colts fans is, when a player of need comes up that is very good or great, they say I would love to have him but he is too expensive or they will say glad we didn't sign him because he was too expensive after being signed by someone else. Then when we sign players that are only average or maybe just good for a lower price, many say we can't win a SB with that player because he isn't great. Can't have it both ways folks. It is either spend a lot and get SB caliber players or save money take chances on average to good players. Seems like people will complain no matter what.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The problem with many Colts fans is, when a player of need comes up that is very good or great, they say I would love to have him but he is too expensive or they will say glad we didn't sign him because he was too expensive after being signed by someone else. Then when we sign players that are only average or maybe just good for a lower price, many say we can't win a SB with that player because he isn't great. Can't have it both ways folks. It is either spend a lot and get SB caliber players or save money take chances on average to good players. Seems like people will complain no matter what.

I'm perfectly fine Colts not overpaying for FAs

Am leaning towards the Colts resigning both Autry and Muhammad but replace Houston with Ryan Kerrigan.  With the Colts resigning own players really don't see them pursing a bunch of FAs.  We got Wentz and other than Kerrigan to replace Houston wouldn't mind adding LT Roderick Johnson.  With Okereke sounding like he is moving positions to take over for Walker had originally thought of adding Jayon Brown and keeping Okereke at SLB.

A player in the draft I like to replace Rhodes would be Israel Mukuamu who is ideal for Cover 3 which the Colts use.  Rhodes tends to get out of position a lot playing in Cover 3.  Tay Gowin is my other CB whom should add depth and competition to Rock.

I mean... makes sense. I think all of our free agents are expendable. Not ideally all at once so I'm sure a few will be brought back. I'm guessing one of DEs and maybe one of Carrie, Rhodes, or Hilton.

But in the worst case scenario we don't need any of them, so letting them test the market makes sense in case their value is lowered and we can have them back for cheap. I personally hope we target a LT. I just don't like the idea of possibly reaching for one in the draft in round one because it's just that important of a position. I'd much rather us be in position to go BPA, whether that be WR, DE, CB, LB or whatever. That's usually my philosophy every year. Plug needs in FA so you can draft talent not just positions in the draft.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Same. I think Hilton can still play, but my reason for wanting to keep him is mostly sentimental. Rhodes is my #1 pending FA.

But when we signed him, I thought he might be a comp pick plant. Same for Burton. Sign them to one year deals, and if they play well and move on, you start accumulating comp pick capital. Meanwhile you still have your young players behind them (although I'm not sure the young guys can play). Mack and Hooker were part of the equation as well, but both got hurt.

But with the bloodbath that's happening around the league, a lot of players capable of replacing our pending FAs are going to be on the market, and will not count toward the comp pick formula. In theory, we could replace Hilton with Emmanuel Sanders, and get a 2022 comp pick for Hilton. We can replace Houston, Autry, Burton, and even Walker with vets released from other teams, maybe for less money, and still potentially get comp picks for the guys we lose.

Now, is that what's best for the 2021 roster? Maybe not, it's kind of a case-by-case analysis. But none of the players we're talking about are so good that they can't be replaced with second tier free agents over the next two weeks.

Except Rhodes. But he's 31, we get back Marvell Tell, they still like Ya Sin, and it's not like Rhodes is just soo good that our defense completely falls apart without him. I'd rather keep him, but if they've given him an indication what they're willing to pay, and he still wants to test the market, then that's kind of all they can do about it.

Never thought about the compensation for those guys, another reason that makes this "bold" move by Ballard looks good.

I know that we have other things on table that are not money, like leadership of TY or the stability Ana health of AWalk and Houston, but the end of day, if there's one year that this "gamble" looks right, is this year.

And don't get me wrong, but I'm hoping I don't need to cheer for RYS at 1 and Tell at 2 praying to none get hurt.

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm perfectly fine Colts not overpaying for FAs

It seems that Ballard has a number in mind and won't get into a bidding war with other teams. 

Maybe we just don't know because he keeps deals private till the deals are done? 

I can't recall any players signed or traded for that we knew about before they were acquired. 

I will say this isn’t anything out of the ordinary for Ballard. He typically waits and lets players test the market. He also isn’t quick to jump day 1 because the price tags early. This year it should help a lot. I can see depth guys being brought back like Carrie and Muhammad but other guys like Houston or Rhodes and Autry will go somewhere else. Hilton I think they wait until he talks with teams and they will gauge value then but I highly doubt he is back. 

As Superman mentioned though I do see Ballard starting to do that vet for comp pick move. It’s smart because he helps with moving in a draft. 

20 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly I see this as a smart move, because this years Free Agency is gonna be different than any other with the cap being set at 182.5 million. Players are gonna find that most teams can't pay high contracts so contracts are gonna be cheap. Ballard is gonna wait and then make some smart signings or match contracts for a few resignings

100%

This year is going to be a buyers market unlike any other in league history.  Cap space will be insanely valuable putting the Colts in a perfect position to capitalize.  Chris Ballard is rightfully maximizing the Colts influence.

Archived