Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021: Be the GM Game

EastStreet

Over the next couple evenings, I had planned to look closer at our roster holes for starters and key depth, available FAs, and realistic draft targets.

Basically taking our cap space, plus early draft picks, to fill out the roster.

Figured some might want to play along, and make a game out of it. 

So here's the rules....

Use PFF's big board order when drafting.

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board?season=2021

Use PFF's estimates/prediction of FA value for your spend.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

1. Must fill all 9 holes identified below (resign our FAs, sign other FA, draft, or explain the use of an existing player on the roster like Eason at QB2 for example)
  2. For the sake of ease, let's assume we'll spend only $40 of the 45-50M projected cap space on these positions (the remaining going to others, drafted, and carryover)
  3. For this exercise, assume the use of our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks. 
  4. You can trade picks, but no personnel trades. And you must identify the team, and use the draft calculator (link below) to ensure the value is fair (keep it within +/- 5%). In short, you can use our later picks to get earlier picks, use earlier picks to trade back and pick up other picks, but we're only filling holes using guys from the first 4 rounds.
  5. When drafting, only 1st and 2nd round picks can be used to fill the 5 starter holes. 3rd (if you pick one up via trade) and 4th rounders for the 4 key depth/contributor holes.

Starter Holes

DE (Houston)

DE (Autry)

CB1 (Rhodes)

WR1 (Hilton)

LT (AC)

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton)

MIKE (Walker co-starter)

QB2 (JB)

CB3 (Carrie)

Note: Assume Pascal (WR3/4) is back as he's an RFA, as well as MAC (TE2) who is ERFA.

If interested in our FA list

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/indianapolis-colts/

Draft Capital Calculator

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

NFL Draft Capital (per team) for trade candidates

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

I'd bring in Tyrod Taylor as a QB2 and hold Eason in the wings as QB3.  I'd bring in Golden Tate as a WR3 and look for big improvements from our young guys to step into the WR1 slot.  In my mind I see Pittman taking over as one of our biggest targets next year.

I don't know that much about the defensive side of the game beyond some broad generalities, so I'm not gonna play Gm in that area, but I'll notice that there are some good physical DEs on the market right now, and I might take a good look at Suh despite his age and attitude problems, as a guy who can bring the physical and the nasty that a good defensive lineman needs.

So here's my first shot

Spent 39M of our 40M

Starter Holes

DE (Houston) - resign 9M

DE (Autry) - resign 4M

CB1 (Rhodes) - resign 8M

WR1 (Hilton) - replaced with FA Curtis Samuel 8M,

LT (AC) - drafted 54th - OT Eichenberg or OT Mayfield

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton) - replaced by FA Jared Cook 5M

MIKE (Walker co-starter) - resign 3M

QB2 (JB) - replaced by Eason (no $ or capital)

CB3 (Carrie) - resign 2M

Bonus additions

Draft 21st - DE Rousseau or DE Ojulari

Draft WR Tutu Atwell (drafted 114th, using our 118+213)

With the 1M left over, I'd probably try to give it to Mack or Hooker. Both would be cheap coming off injury.

I don't like the idea of leaving QB2 to Eason with Wentz in the air.  If last year hadn't happened, sure, bring in the youngster because odds are he won't start a game anyway, but with Wentz's obvious regression/injury concerns I'd rather have a borderline starter like Brissett or Tyrod Taylor at QB2 to hold us over for a couple games if Wentz has injury issues or struggles to settle down early in the season.

Frankly I'd rather have Brissett than Taylor since he knows our system much better, but I think you can get Taylor for 1/3 the cost of Brissett because Taylor is that much older, and you can use that cap savings in other areas (WR/TE)

15 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'd bring in Tyrod Taylor as a QB2 and hold Eason in the wings as QB3.  I'd bring in Golden Tate as a WR3 and look for big improvements from our young guys to step into the WR1 slot.  In my mind I see Pittman taking over as one of our biggest targets next year.

I don't know that much about the defensive side of the game beyond some broad generalities, so I'm not gonna play Gm in that area, but I'll notice that there are some good physical DEs on the market right now, and I might take a good look at Suh despite his age and attitude problems, as a guy who can bring the physical and the nasty that a good defensive lineman needs.

You didn't really play the game, but on the QB and WR topics... 

Might as well keep JB if you're willing to spend on Taylor. I think both will be looking for 5-8M, and both will be looking for a position where they might be able to compete for a starting job. Not sure either will get that range, and Indy isn't a place where they'll be able to compete for QB1. IMO, we can't afford to spend that much on a backup QB this year anyway. I'd prefer to roll with Eason, but if not, give me Glennon or Winston for cheaper. Glennon looked like he might have something, and Winston IMO might be fixable.

I'd love Tate as a cheap depth piece, but he doesn't really fit our need as go-to #1 or 2 in the Z/slot mold. He's 32 with declining speed and production. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pittman's targets go up (they should), but we need to solve TY's spot (Z).

This is a fun idea! Here's my first attempt:

Starter Holes

DE (Houston) - sign Carl Lawson 12M

DE (Autry) - resign 4M

CB1 (Rhodes) - resign 8M

WR1 (Hilton) - resign 8M

LT (AC) - Draft Christian Darrisaw 21st overall

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton) - draft Brevin Jordan 89th overall

MIKE (Walker) - sign Eric Wilson 3M

QB2 (JB) - resign 5M

CB3 (Carrie) - draft Eric Stokes 72nd overall

Other

Jacob Eason also returns as 3rd string QB (wouldn't be surprised to see this again)

Draft EDGE Patrick Jones 118th overall

Draft WR Amari Rodgers 149th overall

Draft OT Alaric Jackson 182nd overall

Draft LB Tony Fields 213th overall

Trade Details

Colts trade: 2021 2nd round - #54, 2022 6th round

Lions trade: 2021 3rd round - #72, 2021 3rd round - #89

My ideas:

Starter Holes

DE (Houston) - replace with Romeo Okwara $11m/y

DE (Autry) - resign 4M

CB1 (Rhodes) - resign 8M

WR1 (Hilton) - Draft 2nd round - Dyami Brown

LT (AC) - Draft 1st round - Christian Darrisaw

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton) - replace with Jonnu Smith $8m/y

MIKE (Walker co-starter) - Draft 5th round - Tony Fields II

CB3 (Carrie) - Draft 4th round - Trill Williams

Bonus additions

Tyus Bowser - LB/EDGE hybrid - get us a SAM linebacker $3m/y

Calcs - FA $34m + Draft ~$9m = $43m (sorry!)

My ideas:

Starter Holes

DE (Houston) - replace with Shaq Barrett $17M

DE (Autry) - Draft 1st Gregory Rousseau 

CB1 (Rhodes) - replace with KWaun Williams 4M

WR1 (Hilton) - replace with JuJu Smith Schuster $17M

LT (AC) - Draft 2nd round - Liam Eichenberg

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton) - Draft

MIKE (Walker co-starter) - Draft 

QB2 (JB) - replaced with Mike Glennon $1.5M

CB3 (Carrie) - Draft 

Starter Holes

DE (Houston) - Jadeveon Clowney 7M

DE (Autry) - resign Muhammad 2M

CB1 (Rhodes) - resign 8M

WR1 (Hilton) - 21st pick of the draft - Rashod Bateman

LT (AC) - Trent Williams 3/54M - 18M 

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton) - replaced by Gerald Everett 5M

MIKE (Walker co-starter) - roll with what we have. Okereke + Speed+Franklin.... maybe supplement with the draft on day 3

CB3 (Carrie) - 2nd round pick - Eric Stokes/Greg Newsome whoever is there 

Bonus additions

Elerson Smith, DE, UNI 4th round pick

~40M

I used to be against giving big money for OT because of the big financial commitment and resources that will start accumulating at the OL, but... the more I think about it... the more I feel like... it doesn't really matter - you try to build the best roster you can with the available resources and if that means having one part of the team receiving a ton of resources - then so be it. Also - if you don't give up the money, you will have to give up the high pick in order to fill that position so... again - I've decided I don't mind it. Both are high value resources and if you take the 1st rounder that you would have given for someone like Jenkins or Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker and spend it on some other high value position then the effect is similar - so the ultimate question becomes - where is the best value to spend the money and the draft pick... and I like this allocation of resources here. Another option would be to spend the pick on DE and get a cheaper WR from FA... maybe in another mock I can do that. 

I think some FAs will go cheaper than pridicted but:

DE (Yannick Ngakoue) 17M

DE (Muhammad) - resign 2M-Autry 4M

CB1 Draft Greg Newsome#29

WR1 (Hilton) - Draft Marquez Stevenson

LT (AC) -Move QN to LT-Sign Thuney 14M

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton) - replaced in draft

MIKE (Walker co-starter) - stay put with LBs less Walker

CB3 (Carrie) - resign 2M

Bonus additions

Trade#21 to GB 29 and a 3rd in 2021

Beef OL in 3rd and 4th- Meinerz, Little

Like trying to sign Mack or Hooker with remaining money

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You didn't really play the game, but on the QB and WR topics... 

Might as well keep JB if you're willing to spend on Taylor. I think both will be looking for 5-8M, and both will be looking for a position where they might be able to compete for a starting job. Not sure either will get that range, and Indy isn't a place where they'll be able to compete for QB1. IMO, we can't afford to spend that much on a backup QB this year anyway. I'd prefer to roll with Eason, but if not, give me Glennon or Winston for cheaper. Glennon looked like he might have something, and Winston IMO might be fixable.

I'd love Tate as a cheap depth piece, but he doesn't really fit our need as go-to #1 or 2 in the Z/slot mold. He's 32 with declining speed and production. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pittman's targets go up (they should), but we need to solve TY's spot (Z).

You are not going to get Winston for cheap. He will probably be starting in NO or backing up Brees for a lot of money.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Whose predictions?   I’ve been reading closer to $9-10m per.  

EDGE ROMEO OKWARA

After over 1,000 snaps of below-average production as a pass-rusher, Okwara finished like a ball of fire with the No. 3 pass-rush grade among edge defenders since Week 12. That stretch run was great, and it capped a career year that saw him post an 85.4 pass-rush grade, ninth-best in the league. If he’s truly figured something out, Okwara is worth a shot as a No. 2 pass-rusher, but perspective is needed given the 4.5 years of average play prior to his half-season of dominance. 

Contract Analysis: It’s never an exact science when determining whether a player has truly turned a corner in their career or just had a lucky stretch of play, but Okwara & Co. will certainly argue the former is the case here.

Prediction: Detroit signs Okwara for three years, $19.5 million ($6.5M APY): $10M total guaranteed, $7 million fully guaranteed at signing.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Starter Holes

DE (Houston) - Okwara 9m

DE (Autry) - Re-sign 4m Muhammad 2m

CB1 (Rhodes) - Melifonwu 54th

WR1 (Hilton) - Agholor 8m

LT (AC) - Samuel Cosmi 21st

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton) - Draft 

MIKE (Walker co-starter) Stays same

QB2 (JB) - Eason is #2

CB3 (Carrie) - 2m

Braden Smith is extended 14m

I think I did this correctly sorry if not 

50 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

You are not going to get Winston for cheap. He will probably be starting in NO or backing up Brees for a lot of money.

One thing is for sure: if he goes back to NO, he‘s not getting a lot of money, they have to try hard to hold their core together without signing additional guys ^^

4 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

One thing is for sure: if he goes back to NO, he‘s not getting a lot of money, they have to try hard to hold their core together without signing additional guys ^^

If he goes back to New Orleans it is probably as the starting QB and he will get paid starter money. I think he can be a winner in a non-Arians offense (Last year Tampa Bay played a Brady offense). He did throw for 5,000 yards but with too many interceptions. There is a lot to work with there.

48 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

EDGE ROMEO OKWARA

After over 1,000 snaps of below-average production as a pass-rusher, Okwara finished like a ball of fire with the No. 3 pass-rush grade among edge defenders since Week 12. That stretch run was great, and it capped a career year that saw him post an 85.4 pass-rush grade, ninth-best in the league. If he’s truly figured something out, Okwara is worth a shot as a No. 2 pass-rusher, but perspective is needed given the 4.5 years of average play prior to his half-season of dominance. 

Contract Analysis: It’s never an exact science when determining whether a player has truly turned a corner in their career or just had a lucky stretch of play, but Okwara & Co. will certainly argue the former is the case here.

Prediction: Detroit signs Okwara for three years, $19.5 million ($6.5M APY): $10M total guaranteed, $7 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Goodness gracious, Dan!   What us the first word of my reply to you?     Whose.    As in who predicted that.    Do you cut and pasted showing me that Yiu didn’t make it up.  Great!

But WHO wrote this?!? 

58 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

If he goes back to New Orleans it is probably as the starting QB and he will get paid starter money. I think he can be a winner in a non-Arians offense (Last year Tampa Bay played a Brady offense). He did throw for 5,000 yards but with too many interceptions. There is a lot to work with there.

NO does not have the cap to pay Winston starter money - even if they wanted to, they simply cannot afford another big contract. It‘s pointless to list Winston‘s accomplishments, this is not happening. I‘m not sayimg Winston doesn‘t deserve starter money (which is debatable) elsewhere, but he‘ll not get it in NO this offseason.

2 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

NO does not have the cap to pay Winston starter money - even if they wanted to, they simply cannot afford another big contract. It‘s pointless to list Winston‘s accomplishments, this is not happening. I‘m not sayimg Winston doesn‘t deserve starter money (which is debatable) elsewhere, but he‘ll not get it in NO this offseason.

Only Indianapolis teams have problems with salary cap. If they want Winston to be their QB, they will find a way to sign him. 

I am interested to see what people think. This is a dumb hypothetical...but it's all pretend anyways.

Jerry Jones calls you up and says:

"Hey you really smart Colts GM...I think Dak would look even better wearing the shoe instead of the star. I know I just gave him a big contract with a lot of money...so let's do this...let's say you go ahead and sign Q to a 4/$80M deal right now and then send him and Buckner to DAL...and I will send back Dak. We will just swap contracts and players...equal money."

Now setting aside the calculus of gtd money and accelerating bonuses hitting the cap...and assuming that the actual entire contracts would just transfer (even though they wouldn't)...what would you say?

(Keep in mind that you are also saving Wentz's contract obligation, as well as the draft capital from that trade. The league year doesn't start until 3/17, so that deal would not be finalized in this scenario. And for the purpose of this, the entire NFL would completely understand you backing out lol.)

But given all of that...would you swap Q + DeFo for Dak for the same use of cap space?

What about the exact same scenario with Watson?

My guess would be that most (if not all) would still say no to Dak...but some (maybe a lot) would say yes to Watson. I would certainly do the Watson swap.

Starter Holes

DE (Houston)- Bring back

DE ( Autry)- replace with Von Miller

CB1 (Rhodes)- Try to bring back

WR1 (Hilton)- Bring back

LT - Draft one early

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton)- I could take him or leave him

MIKE (Walker)- Let go, look for 4-3 MLB in draft

QB2 (JB)- Let go- Eason takes over

CB3 (Carrie)- Bring back, tender?

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I am interested to see what people think. This is a dumb hypothetical...but it's all pretend anyways.

Now setting aside the calculus of gtd money and accelerating bonuses hitting the cap...and assuming that the actual entire contracts would just transfer (even though they wouldn't)...what would you say?

(Keep in mind that you are also saving Wentz's contract obligation, as well as the draft capital from that trade. The league year doesn't start until 3/17, so that deal would not be finalized in this scenario. And for the purpose of this, the entire NFL would completely understand you backing out lol.)

But given all of that...would you swap Q + DeFo for Dak for the same use of cap space?

My guess would be that most (if not all) would still say no to Dak...but some (maybe a lot) would say yes to Watson. I would certainly do the Watson swap.

I say "Mr Jones, April fools is a few weeks away.

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So here's my first shot

Spent 39M of our 40M

Starter Holes

DE (Houston) - resign 9M

DE (Autry) - resign 4M

CB1 (Rhodes) - resign 8M

WR1 (Hilton) - replaced with FA Curtis Samuel 8M,

LT (AC) - drafted 54th - OT Eichenberg or OT Mayfield

Key Depth/Contributor 

TE3 (Burton) - replaced by FA Jared Cook 5M

MIKE (Walker co-starter) - resign 3M

CB3 (Carrie) - resign 2M

Bonus additions

Draft 21st - DE Rousseau or DE Ojulari

Draft WR Tutu Atwell (drafted 114th, using our 118+213)

With the 1M left over, I'd probably try to give it to Mack or Hooker. Both would be cheap coming off injury.

I could be okay with this. Though I’d rather trade up in the first, top 15. 

No

Q and Buckner for Dak

Excuse me for just a second

sick schitts creek GIF by CBC

I'll get out my red pen later, but boy some folks have problem with simple game rules lol

5 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

There's a QB glut this year, his market value isn't high (just like last year), and NO doesn't have much room. If he goes back, he'll be competing with Hill too.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Goodness gracious, Dan!   What us the first word of my reply to you?     Whose.    As in who predicted that.    Do you cut and pasted showing me that Yiu didn’t make it up.  Great!

But WHO wrote this?!? 

See the rules/link in the OP

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

@EastStreet

Did I do mine correctly and does extensions like I did with Smith factor into 40m

I just skimmed everything, but it looked correct. I'm going to look closer in a bit. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I could be okay with this. Though I’d rather trade up in the first, top 15. 

I have zero desire to trade up if I could land that haul. Since we're without a 3rd, I'd probably trade back before I traded up. 

In my shot at the holes, I pretty much brought back most (sans TY and Burton), and still upgraded/added DE and WR.

And no thanks on Dak lol... really not the thread to discuss, and don't want to sidetrack, but...

My prediction - The new 40M/year contract will hamper their ability to upgrade aging parts, and the contract itself will be viewed as an anchor in a few years.

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

And no thanks on Dak lol... really not the thread to discuss, and don't want to sidetrack, but...

My prediction - The new 40M/year contract will hamper their ability to upgrade aging parts, and the contract itself will be viewed as an anchor in a few years.

For whatever it may be worth....   I saw an article this morning that basically said that Amazon is about to become an NFL broadcast partner.   That they will pump a tremendous amount of money into the league and that will raise the salary cap by a lot.   Enough that Dallas will be able to handle the $40m per cap hit comfortably. 

As to the GM exercise...    since I’m not participating I had not read all the rules.

If the poster I was responding too had simply told me WHO wrote this prediction none of this would have happened.  That was apparently too hard.

So first he cut and pasted the prediction but failed to answer my original question — who wrote this!    Then after asking a SECOND time he STILL hasn’t answered the question I originally asked.    It really wasn’t all that hard...   Three letters.   P-F-F.    

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it may be worth....   I saw an article this morning that basically said that Amazon is about to become an NFL broadcast partner.   That they will pump a tremendous amount of money into the league and that will raise the salary cap by a lot.   Enough that Dallas will be able to handle the $40m per cap hit comfortably. 

Amazon IIRC was already broadcasting Thursday night games. I've got pretty much all channels available sans the NFL package, so never really watched it on Amazon (was also on the NFL network I think). I'm all for more games being broadcasted. And the adding of a 17 game will also up the cash flow. I'd love it if they had 2 nationally broadcasted games every Thursday, 4 every Sunday, and 2 on Mondays. 

I'm sure Dallas will "handle" it, as all teams do. It's still an impact on the overall roster, and I just don't like to see 20% or more of the cap going to one of 53 players. I can stomach it for an uber elite guy like Mahomes, but I just don't see Dak near that level. Not losing sleep over it, I just think it will have negative consequences overall to the franchise.

59 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

For Watson as well? I get Dak.

I want no part of Dak. As for Watson, I said weeks ago and I’ll say it again, he would be the one player that I would trade multiple 1s to get. As many as 3.

57 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'll get out my red pen later, but boy some folks have problem with simple game rules lol

There's a QB glut this year, his market value isn't high (just like last year), and NO doesn't have much room. If he goes back, he'll be competing with Hill too.

See the rules/link in the OP

I just skimmed everything, but it looked correct. I'm going to look closer in a bit. 

I have zero desire to trade up if I could land that haul. Since we're without a 3rd, I'd probably trade back before I traded up. 

In my shot at the holes, I pretty much brought back most (sans TY and Burton), and still upgraded/added DE and WR.

I’d rather take Kwity Paye. That guy is gonna be special. I think he’s better than Rossueau as well. And I think he’s better than Phillips too.

my issues with Rossueau is the same issue I have with Phillips. Both are essentially 1 hit wonders. Ones that I think benefitted greatly from the players around them more than themselves. Rossueau sat out 2020, understandably so with Covid, philips replaces him and nearly mirrors the 2019 production of Rossueau, then declares for the draft. Two players , same position, on the same team with the same DL getting nearly  identical stats, at least in the same ball park stats, both only playing one year. It makes me extremely nervous. 

kwity paye on the other hand is a freak athlete, incredibly fast and agile for his size. 3 year starter, has improved each season. And stats wise, isn’t far behind the above two. He’s such a freak athlete that he was even noticed by SI and others. Watch his games, his motor is high and never quitting, his power and speed are incredible and he moves like a young Freeney but with more size, speed and power. He’s gonna be a stud. I think he’ll go too 15, (yes I know a lot of draft pundits have the Miami duo going before him but I think they’re skipping over the 1 year wonder concerns) which is why I’d like to trade up and nab him. I’d offer our 1 this year and a 4th if that gets us close. Or even next years 3rd. And I hate trading up and have always been against it, but this kid is that kind of special. 

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I want no part of Dak. As for Watson, I said weeks ago and I’ll say it again, he would be the one player that I would trade multiple 1s to get. As many as 3.

I’d rather take Kwity Paye. That guy is gonna be special. I think he’s better than Rossueau as well. And I think he’s better than Phillips too.

my issues with Rossueau is the same issue I have with Phillips. Both are essentially 1 hit wonders. Ones that I think benefitted greatly from the players around them more than themselves. Rossueau sat out 2020, understandably so with Covid, philips replaces him and nearly mirrors the 2019 production of Rossueau, then declares for the draft. Two players , same position, on the same team with the same DL getting nearly  identical stats, at least in the same ball park stats, both only playing one year. It makes me extremely nervous. 

kwity paye on the other hand is a freak athlete, incredibly fast and agile for his size. 3 year starter, has improved each season. And stats wise, isn’t far behind the above two. He’s such a freak athlete that he was even noticed by SI and others. Watch his games, his motor is high and never quitting, his power and speed are incredible and he moves like a young Freeney but with more size, speed and power. He’s gonna be a stud. I think he’ll go too 15, (yes I know a lot of draft pundits have the Miami duo going before him but I think they’re skipping over the 1 year wonder concerns) which is why I’d like to trade up and nab him. I’d offer our 1 this year and a 4th if that gets us close. Or even next years 3rd. And I hate trading up and have always been against it, but this kid is that kind of special. 

IMO, there's not a sure thing with any of the DEs in this year's class. I do like Paye, but not nearly enough to use draft capital to move up. In the 4 games he played this year, he only had 2 sacks, and both were vs MN. He did not impress me at all vs IU. I think both Miami guys will do fine in the NFL, just wouldn't say either is a sure thing elite kinda guy. The two that intrigue me the most are Oweh and Ojulari. Both are a bit light, but if I had to bet on best year 2 stats from those 5 guys, I'd bet on those two.

Archived