Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BREAKING: Dak signs with Dallas (merge)

Shefter reporting $126m guaranteed.   Basically his first three years.  

Sounds like his 4th year, the numbers go down?   I’m not sure, just attempting to out the pieces of the puzzle together.   We'll know soon enough. 

• Thanks 1
  • w87r changed the title to BREAKING: Dak signs with Dallas (merge)

Wait so you are telling me that I can either have Dak at 40ish million a year or I can have Wentz + Big Q (contract extension) or Wentz + Allen Robinson (if he hits free agency) or Wentz + someone like Jonnu Smith + entire 2021 draft class of contracts for the same price. Hah, I'll take all those options except the Dak one.

• Like 2

Dak is one of the most overrated QB's in football. He good, not great. And for that money he'd better be better than great. He had great teams and he did nothing with them. Now he eats a huge chunk of the cap and Dallas will put less around him. Wish for those 9-7 years Dallas, that's about the top you can reach..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Well deserved

For Jerry Jones! Jones deserves to be this stupid, spending all this cap money on a 9-7 QB.  Dak is so overrated it's not funny. I would have used the franchise tag and tried to trade him. If Seattle was interested I'd trade him plus a #1 pick for Russell Wilson.

7 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

For Jerry Jones! Jones deserves to be this stupid, spending all this cap money on a 9-7 QB.  Dak is so overrated it's not funny. I would have used the franchise tag and tried to trade him. If Seattle was interested I'd trade him plus a #1 pick for Russell Wilson.

He's been to the playoffs in 3 of his 4 healthy seasons...

He was on his way to winning MVP and would've made it again in 2020 if not for a freak injury

Everybody wants a good QB until you have to pay them

16 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Dak is one of the most overrated QB's in football. He good, not great. And for that money he'd better be better than great. He had great teams and he did nothing with them. Now he eats a huge chunk of the cap and Dallas will put less around him. Wish for those 9-7 years Dallas, that's about the top you can reach..

The same thing has been said about every non top five QB that has signed an extension over the last ten years. This is the business.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, tvturner said:

He's been to the playoffs in 3 of his 4 healthy seasons...

He was on his way to winning MVP and would've made it again in 2020 if not for a freak injury

Everybody wants a good QB until you have to pay them

That’s not entirely true. Matter of fact not true at all.

dak was drafted in 2016. That’s 5 seasons.  Dallas has MISSED the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. So how could he have been to the play offs 3 out of 4 years healthy?!?

hell Dallas since 2010 has only made the play offs 3 times total.....

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s not entirely true. Matter of fact not true at all.

dak was drafted in 2016. That’s 5 seasons.  Dallas has MISSED the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. So how could he have been to the play offs 3 out of 4 years healthy?!?

hell Dallas since 2010 has only made the play offs 3 times total.....

Sorry, he's led them to a winning record in 3 of his 4 healthy seasons

I figured it would be around 4 years 152 million tbh. Shocked the gave him more than Deshaun Watson. 

And as an organization, giving $126 guaranteed is CRAZY given his recent injury. 

Happy for Dak. The dude has been through a lot. 

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Can somebody explain how the Cowboys can afford this crazy contract?

I read his cap hit will be $22.5m in 2021. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Superman said:

I read his cap hit will be $22.5m in 2021. 

I'm confused how $75 million is paid the first year & only 22.5 million counts towards the cap. That seems impossible even with most of it being spread out over the contract, especially given that the 4th year has a lower cap hit too. 

Can anyone explain it to me better please?

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm confused how $75 million is paid the first year & only 22.5 million counts towards the cap. That seems impossible even with most of it being spread out over the contract, especially given that the 4th year has a lower cap hit too. 

Can anyone explain it to me better please?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/08/inside-the-dak-prescott-contract/

https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848/

He has a $66m signing bonus. The cap hit for the signing is prorated, split evenly over five years, so $13.2m/year. Then he has a $9m base salary in 2021. Add that to the $13.2m prorated bonus figure and it works out to a 2021 cap hit of $22.2m. 

Future cap hits: 2022, $33.2m; 2023, $44.2m; 2024, $47.2m; contract voids the day before the start of the 2025 league year, but there will be a dead cap hit of $13.2m in 2025. 

Disclaimer: I think there's at least one detail missing, because I don't understand why they added two voidable years, instead of just one. Maybe it's to leave room for a future restructure. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Yeah, but 9-7 wins this division going away!