Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 28th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select:
Terrell Edmunds; Safety, Virginia Tech

With the 32nd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select:

Lamar Jackson; Quarterback, Louisville

Then the Steelers traded their first round pick to Miami in 2020 for Minkah Fitzpatrick. After they whiffed on a chance to grab Karl Joseph in 2016, who now plays for the Brahns.

I think we all know the salary cap issues in Pittsburgh after years of so called "loyalty". Kordell Stewart anyone?

• Confused 1

While they may have not gotten that one right in your eyes, they have been a very good drafting team over the years with homegrown talent all over their rosters. It wasn't just Big Ben keeping them competitive all these years.

• Thanks 2

They were never going to pick Lamar in 2018

Karl Joseph is a bench player and Fitzpatrick is much better than him anyways

Not sure what this post is getting after

• Like 4

Edmunds is their starting SS and Fitzpatrick is their starting FS. You might not like the value of Edmunds in the late 1st...but it’s not like he has been a bust.

I really don’t understand your point here. 

44 minutes ago, tvturner said:

They were never going to pick Lamar in 2018

Karl Joseph is a bench player and Fitzpatrick is much better than him anyways

Not sure what this post is getting after

And just draft a LB every year. That was the first year they even tried to address the S. Most real Steelers fans I know have been complaining about their strategy for years. Just saying. Thanks for the conversation.

I get what you are saying. Safety's should not be rated top 30 on your big board unless they are generational talent. They are generally easy to replace. 

But, the same could be said about LG's. Q. Nelson proved that narrative false. 

Yea I dunno the Steelers have had the same GM forever and they always seem to draft well. Here in Indy Polian really left the team void of talent in his last years then we had to deal with Grigson. Lol Cleveland or Detroit is probably where you want to look for examples of how not to draft

IMO, there are two organizations that have gotten it right more often than wrong:  The NE Patriots and the Spitsburgh steelers.  

I don’t like either but, they draft and run their organizations right.  The proof is in the success.  

Hindsight is everything but imagine being a Packers fan and you see your team taking Jordan Love at #26 instead of a Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, or Chase Claypool to help Rodgers out bigtime. Claypool had 9 TD's and 70 catches. As Judge Joe Brown used to say "DOD", meaning the Packers GM gets Dumb of the Day". Rodgers clearly has 3 more good-great years left, the Jordan Love pick still has me SMH. Despite what some think, not all GM's are smart or always right but this was obvious when the pick happened, this was a clear case of "DOD". 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hindsight is everything but imagine being a Packers fan and you see your team taking Jordan Love at #26 instead of a Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, or Chase Claypool to help Rodgers out bigtime. Claypool had 9 TD's and 70 catches. As Judge Joe Brown used to say "DOD", meaning the Packers GM gets Dumb of the Day". Rodgers clearly has 3 more good-great years left, the Jordan Love pick still has me SMH. Despite what some think, not all GM's are smart or always right but this was obvious when the pick happened, this was a clear case of "DOD". 

Looking back Rogers and the front office really wasn't getting along at that time. There were rumors of Rogers wanting out then. 

If I were a packer fan I wouldn't have been happy but Rogers himself was drafted in the 1st rd. when Favre had a few more years left so it was not surprising. 

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Looking back Rogers and the front office really wasn't getting along at that time. There were rumors of Rogers wanting out then. 

If I were a packer fan I wouldn't have been happy but Rogers himself was drafted in the 1st rd. when Favre had a few more years left so it was not surprising. 

I still think the pick by GB was puzzling, GM's know more than me so I rarely question them but this here had me confused jimmy fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon 

On 3/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, joecolts said:

IMO, there are two organizations that have gotten it right more often than wrong:  The NE Patriots and the Spitsburgh steelers.  

I don’t like either but, they draft and run their organizations right.  The proof is in the success.  

Patriots haven't drafted a pro bowler since 2013 (collins). Brady covered up a lot of their bad draft classes.

16 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Patriots haven't drafted a pro bowler since 2013 (collins). Brady covered up a lot of their bad draft classes.

When you draft a 6th round QB who turns out to be the best QB in the history of the game and win 6 Super Bowl's because of it, IMO, you are doing something right.