Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

I've been following Titans talk, and most of them are saying it will be very difficult to resign TE Jonnu Smith, due to their cap issues.

 

I for one would love signing an ascending and uber athletic TE like Jonnu, who is only 25,  to replace Trey Burton as the move/flex TE in this offense. He would be such a mismatch for opposing defenses and would open up things even more for our WRs. 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all for the Colts adding another receiving threat. I think this team would really benefit from having a more dynamic receiving threat at tight end. Smith has really good speed for a TE and has been solid for the Titans. I'd be interested in signing him if I were the Colts. I think he would be a nice upgrade.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s a cap friendly signing then I’m all for it. I think he’s garnered attention though and I’m not inclined to enter a bidding war in an offseason where we might need to tighten our belts, depending on our QB situation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I've been following Titans talk, and most of them are saying it will be very difficult to resign TE Jonnu Smith, due to their cap issues.

 

I for one would love signing an ascending and uber athletic TE like Jonnu, who is only 25,  to replace Trey Burton as the move/flex TE in this offense. He would be such a mismatch for opposing defenses and would open up things even more for our WRs. 

 

I would love this. I would still love Doyle back for a 1 or 2 year team friendly deal. Burton can go. It would still be up to Frank to utilize the whole enchilada of TEs, IMO, and not underutilize them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

I would love this. I would still love Doyle back for a 1 or 2 year team friendly deal. Burton can go. It would still be up to Frank to utilize the whole enchilada of TEs, IMO, and not underutilize them.

Doyle is still under contract. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Doyle is still under contract. 

 

Thanks!!! All this talk of letting go of Doyle to save some change got me thinking incorrectly. You are right. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be some very interesting options...Smith, Njoku, Engram, Everett, Howard and Henry.

 

Smith will likely get a nice deal. Probably out of the Colts range.

 

Njoku is purely a flyer...but he has upside. I would love to give him a cheap one-year deal if other options fall through.

 

Everett has flown under the radar in recent years...because there are so many pass catching options in LA. So he could be an interesting gamble.

 

Evan Engram could be a cheap trade candidate as well. He has issues with drops and isn't much of a blocker...but he has huge upside in the passing game. A chance of scenery could be huge for him.

 

I don't think OJ Howard will be ready for the season to start...and TB doesn't save anything by cutting him since they picked up his 5th year option...so he's probably not a real option.

 

I doubt the LAC let Henry leave...especially as they try to build a top tier offense around Herbert. But if they did...absolutely sign him.

 

My hope is that they take a flyer on one of those guys AND drafts a TE to develop. With MAC...that seems like a pretty good group of TEs for the next few years. I know Doyle is still there...but they can save $4M on him if they wanted. Have to be practical about players. I think I would give MAC a 2nd round tender and see if anyone signs him (and if they do...keep Doyle). If nobody signs MAC...then release Doyle. 

 

It's time to rebuild the TE group.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Could be some very interesting options...Smith, Njoku, Engram, Everett, Howard and Henry.

 

Smith will likely get a nice deal. Probably out of the Colts range.

 

Njoku is purely a flyer...but he has upside. I would love to give him a cheap one-year deal if other options fall through.

 

Everett has flown under the radar in recent years...because there are so many pass catching options in LA. So he could be an interesting gamble.

 

Evan Engram could be a cheap trade candidate as well. He has issues with drops and isn't much of a blocker...but he has huge upside in the passing game. A chance of scenery could be huge for him.

 

I don't think OJ Howard will be ready for the season to start...and TB doesn't save anything by cutting him since they picked up his 5th year option...so he's probably not a real option.

 

I doubt the LAC let Henry leave...especially as they try to build a top tier offense around Herbert. But if they did...absolutely sign him.

 

My hope is that they take a flyer on one of those guys AND drafts a TE to develop. With MAC...that seems like a pretty good group of TEs for the next few years. I know Doyle is still there...but they can save $4M on him if they wanted. Have to be practical about players. I think I would give MAC a 2nd round tender and see if anyone signs him (and if they do...keep Doyle). If nobody signs MAC...then release Doyle. 

 

It's time to rebuild the TE group.

 

MAC's routes take longer to form while Doyle gets open quickly underneath, different TEs in the passing game, IMO. Plus, MAC is woefully underutilized. A 3rd round tender should do it with MAC, IMO. I can bet that no one gives us a 3rd rounder for MAC with enough TE depth in this class.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

I would love this. I would still love Doyle back for a 1 or 2 year team friendly deal. Burton can go. It would still be up to Frank to utilize the whole enchilada of TEs, IMO, and not underutilize them.

 

Doyle still has two years left...with an average cap hit of $6M. It's not a huge amount...but it's fair to wonder if it would be better to allocate that cap space to someone other than a 30+ aging TE who is likely to retire in a couple of seasons anyways.

 

I know Doyle is a fan favorite though...but Ballard should always be looking for ways to upgrade the team. He did right by Doyle when he re-signed him...Colts don't have any obligations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

MAC's routes take longer to form while Doyle gets open quickly underneath, different TEs in the passing game, IMO. Plus, MAC is woefully underutilized. A 3rd round tender should do it with MAC, IMO. I can bet that no one gives us a 3rd rounder for MAC with enough TE depth in this class.

 

MAC is underutilized...I don't see that changing going forward. They had every opportunity to feature him in the offense this season...and didn't. He did look slow at times...which isn't surprising...given his size. He's more a downfield player because of that.

 

But I see MAC and Doyle as interchangeable blockers...so I would definitely like to have one on the team next year...especially if they went after a more dynamic receiving threat and drafted a rookie to develop. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

 

Doyle still has two years left...with an average cap hit of $6M. It's not a huge amount...but it's fair to wonder if it would be better to allocate that cap space to someone other than a 30+ aging TE who is likely to retire in a couple of seasons anyways.

 

I know Doyle is a fan favorite though...but Ballard should always be looking for ways to upgrade the team. He did right by Doyle when he re-signed him...Colts don't have any obligations.

I believe Doyle only has one more year on his contract. I'm in agreement that we should move on from Doyle if we sign another TE before MAC.

 

I would be most interested in keeping him as a blocker to help our new LT; but he usually always lines up on the right side of the OL anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

The more I think about it the more I’m warming to the idea of Jonny Smith.   We’d strengthen our TE while weakening Tenn, our biggest rival in the division.   I’d love that.  
 

Id start with an offer if 4/36...   not sure if I’d go one mire year to 5/45? 
 

If Ertz is cut, I’d be interested, but less than Smith.   And while I love Henry, he’s often hurt.   Njoku also is on my radar.  Hard to know what to make of him?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Smith, but I'd still save the bank and maybe go after Dan Arnold or Gerald Everett first, and max out a contract for one of the stud pass rushers in free agency - yannick, lawson, hendrickson. By doing this then that alleviates two draft picks to spend on those areas and you can concentrate on the total depth on the roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Jonnu Smith is a free agent this year. If the Titans don’t bring him back he could have a huge role in our new offense, and we all know Wentz loves his TEs. I think Jack Doyle is getting older and in my opinion has lost a couple steps no I believe MAC could step up into a bigger role but we could stand to add another piece! I’d be elated if we went out and got this guy this off-season. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Shive changed the title to Jonnu Smith (Merge)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...