Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonnu Smith (Merge)

I've been following Titans talk, and most of them are saying it will be very difficult to resign TE Jonnu Smith, due to their cap issues.

I for one would love signing an ascending and uber athletic TE like Jonnu, who is only 25,  to replace Trey Burton as the move/flex TE in this offense. He would be such a mismatch for opposing defenses and would open up things even more for our WRs. 

I am all for the Colts adding another receiving threat. I think this team would really benefit from having a more dynamic receiving threat at tight end. Smith has really good speed for a TE and has been solid for the Titans. I'd be interested in signing him if I were the Colts. I think he would be a nice upgrade.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I've been following Titans talk, and most of them are saying it will be very difficult to resign TE Jonnu Smith, due to their cap issues.

I for one would love signing an ascending and uber athletic TE like Jonnu, who is only 25,  to replace Trey Burton as the move/flex TE in this offense. He would be such a mismatch for opposing defenses and would open up things even more for our WRs. 

I would love this. I would still love Doyle back for a 1 or 2 year team friendly deal. Burton can go. It would still be up to Frank to utilize the whole enchilada of TEs, IMO, and not underutilize them.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would love this. I would still love Doyle back for a 1 or 2 year team friendly deal. Burton can go. It would still be up to Frank to utilize the whole enchilada of TEs, IMO, and not underutilize them.

Doyle is still under contract. 

Could be some very interesting options...Smith, Njoku, Engram, Everett, Howard and Henry.

Smith will likely get a nice deal. Probably out of the Colts range.

Njoku is purely a flyer...but he has upside. I would love to give him a cheap one-year deal if other options fall through.

Everett has flown under the radar in recent years...because there are so many pass catching options in LA. So he could be an interesting gamble.

Evan Engram could be a cheap trade candidate as well. He has issues with drops and isn't much of a blocker...but he has huge upside in the passing game. A chance of scenery could be huge for him.

I don't think OJ Howard will be ready for the season to start...and TB doesn't save anything by cutting him since they picked up his 5th year option...so he's probably not a real option.

I doubt the LAC let Henry leave...especially as they try to build a top tier offense around Herbert. But if they did...absolutely sign him.

My hope is that they take a flyer on one of those guys AND drafts a TE to develop. With MAC...that seems like a pretty good group of TEs for the next few years. I know Doyle is still there...but they can save $4M on him if they wanted. Have to be practical about players. I think I would give MAC a 2nd round tender and see if anyone signs him (and if they do...keep Doyle). If nobody signs MAC...then release Doyle. 

It's time to rebuild the TE group.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Could be some very interesting options...Smith, Njoku, Engram, Everett, Howard and Henry.

Smith will likely get a nice deal. Probably out of the Colts range.

Njoku is purely a flyer...but he has upside. I would love to give him a cheap one-year deal if other options fall through.

Everett has flown under the radar in recent years...because there are so many pass catching options in LA. So he could be an interesting gamble.

Evan Engram could be a cheap trade candidate as well. He has issues with drops and isn't much of a blocker...but he has huge upside in the passing game. A chance of scenery could be huge for him.

I don't think OJ Howard will be ready for the season to start...and TB doesn't save anything by cutting him since they picked up his 5th year option...so he's probably not a real option.

I doubt the LAC let Henry leave...especially as they try to build a top tier offense around Herbert. But if they did...absolutely sign him.

My hope is that they take a flyer on one of those guys AND drafts a TE to develop. With MAC...that seems like a pretty good group of TEs for the next few years. I know Doyle is still there...but they can save $4M on him if they wanted. Have to be practical about players. I think I would give MAC a 2nd round tender and see if anyone signs him (and if they do...keep Doyle). If nobody signs MAC...then release Doyle. 

It's time to rebuild the TE group.

MAC's routes take longer to form while Doyle gets open quickly underneath, different TEs in the passing game, IMO. Plus, MAC is woefully underutilized. A 3rd round tender should do it with MAC, IMO. I can bet that no one gives us a 3rd rounder for MAC with enough TE depth in this class.

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Doyle still has two years left...with an average cap hit of $6M. It's not a huge amount...but it's fair to wonder if it would be better to allocate that cap space to someone other than a 30+ aging TE who is likely to retire in a couple of seasons anyways.

I know Doyle is a fan favorite though...but Ballard should always be looking for ways to upgrade the team. He did right by Doyle when he re-signed him...Colts don't have any obligations.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

MAC's routes take longer to form while Doyle gets open quickly underneath, different TEs in the passing game, IMO. Plus, MAC is woefully underutilized. A 3rd round tender should do it with MAC, IMO. I can bet that no one gives us a 3rd rounder for MAC with enough TE depth in this class.

MAC is underutilized...I don't see that changing going forward. They had every opportunity to feature him in the offense this season...and didn't. He did look slow at times...which isn't surprising...given his size. He's more a downfield player because of that.

But I see MAC and Doyle as interchangeable blockers...so I would definitely like to have one on the team next year...especially if they went after a more dynamic receiving threat and drafted a rookie to develop. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Doyle still has two years left...with an average cap hit of $6M. It's not a huge amount...but it's fair to wonder if it would be better to allocate that cap space to someone other than a 30+ aging TE who is likely to retire in a couple of seasons anyways.

I know Doyle is a fan favorite though...but Ballard should always be looking for ways to upgrade the team. He did right by Doyle when he re-signed him...Colts don't have any obligations.

I believe Doyle only has one more year on his contract. I'm in agreement that we should move on from Doyle if we sign another TE before MAC.

I would be most interested in keeping him as a blocker to help our new LT; but he usually always lines up on the right side of the OL anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

The more I think about it the more I’m warming to the idea of Jonny Smith.   We’d strengthen our TE while weakening Tenn, our biggest rival in the division.   I’d love that.  

Id start with an offer if 4/36...   not sure if I’d go one mire year to 5/45? 

If Ertz is cut, I’d be interested, but less than Smith.   And while I love Henry, he’s often hurt.   Njoku also is on my radar.  Hard to know what to make of him?

I like Smith, but I'd still save the bank and maybe go after Dan Arnold or Gerald Everett first, and max out a contract for one of the stud pass rushers in free agency - yannick, lawson, hendrickson. By doing this then that alleviates two draft picks to spend on those areas and you can concentrate on the total depth on the roster.

• 2 weeks later...

Jonnu Smith is a free agent this year. If the Titans don’t bring him back he could have a huge role in our new offense, and we all know Wentz loves his TEs. I think Jack Doyle is getting older and in my opinion has lost a couple steps no I believe MAC could step up into a bigger role but we could stand to add another piece! I’d be elated if we went out and got this guy this off-season. 

• Shive changed the title to Jonnu Smith (Merge)
On 3/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, Black0ut117 said:

Jonnu Smith is a free agent this year. If the Titans don’t bring him back he could have a huge role in our new offense, and we all know Wentz loves his TEs. I think Jack Doyle is getting older and in my opinion has lost a couple steps no I believe MAC could step up into a bigger role but we could stand to add another piece! I’d be elated if we went out and got this guy this off-season. 

I don't think Jonnu replaces Doyle.     He's a pure tight end, most typically (but not always)  lined up next to the tight end.

I think Jonnu would replace Burton.    Jonnu is your smaller, more movable chess piece type of TE.   A mismatch type of guy. 

He could be all over the field on any given snap and formation.    I think Reich would love having a guy like that.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Here's to hoping Ballard can land Jonnu for an 8-9 mil per year type of contract early next week. He could explode in this offense. 

Id love him too. He has great YAC ability, which is something Reich likes in his TEs, the way they used Cox last season. He skill set fits week with what Doyle and Cox offer.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Tell me about him. Speed, size, hands etc.  We need a TE playmaker. 

I think I'll check him out too. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pat-freiermuth-nfl-draft-player-profile-2021/

Freiermuth is the consensus second best tight end in the class.   He’ll likely be picked between our first round pick (21) and our second round pick (54).     

With all our other pressing needs, are you still interested?

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Freiermuth is the consensus second best tight end in the class.   He’ll likely be picked between our first round pick (21) and our second round pick (54).     

With all our other pressing needs, are you still interested?

Yeah.....why do we have so many pressing needs AND except for LT, why are they more pressing than our TE situation, which is very pedestrian at best?

Other than OT, our pressing needs are not as blatant as some seem to think. 

Naturally we want to improve at every position as much as we can but we are not void of some very talented players. 

To read some of these comments you would think we are the bottom of the league. 

On 1/27/2021 at 12:28 PM, ar7 said:

I am all for the Colts adding another receiving threat. I think this team would really benefit from having a more dynamic receiving threat at tight end. Smith has really good speed for a TE and has been solid for the Titans. I'd be interested in signing him if I were the Colts. I think he would be a nice upgrade.

I like the way you said upgrade. Some seem to think we have no talent at the TE position. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah.....why do we have so many pressing needs AND except for LT, why are they more pressing than our TE situation, which is very pedestrian at best?

Well...   I was only speaking to Freirmuth, who I like and will likely go in the top-50. 

As to everything else....

LT, DE, CB, WR are more important than TE.  Except when you already have those positions and you don’t have your TE. Frank has shown he can win without a great TE.   Other than 2-3 guys in this draft there likely aren’t any great TEs.   And in free agency, we’re looking to spend more modest amounts. 

Archived