Who do You want at LT brahs?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• Nelson
    • Smith
    • Williams
    • Villaneauvau
    • Some other FA (Please name in thread)
    • Some Rookie We Draft (Please name in thread)
    • Other (Please name in thread)

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I absolutely think he should be an option for us, especially as a stop gap option. Hell... even if we draft an OT, he probably is a good bridge option for a year or two, and since he was cut while being due 11M means he will very likely be cheaper than those 11M(otherwise they would have traded him). I would definitely kick the tires on this one. 

Yes I get you, would allow us to take a punt on someone like Little in the 2nd and not feel obliged to start him year 1. Get a DE in round 1 or a receiver.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Riley Reiff was cut by the Vikings. 32 years old, just gave up 1 sack last year. Could be an affordable stop gap option at LT, though Viking fans think he was bad up until last season. I guess there is a reason he is released.

He would be worth checking out.  I'm hoping the Saints release Ryan Ramczyk.  He's only 26 years old and they could save 11m by doing so.  They are still way over the cap.  They are being forced to release a lot of good players. 

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He would be worth checking out.  I'm hoping the Saints release Ryan Ramczyk.  He's only 26 years old and they could save 11m by doing so.  They are still way over the cap.  They are being forced to release a lot of good players. 

I would gladly take Ramczyk 

Cheap option for LT is the Texans Roderick Johnson.  Gotten some playing time in past few years especially within our own division.  

As for the draft to be honest a few LT names would be happy for the Colts to take.

As for rookies we seen plenty who can more than hold their own against most.  Even AC was a rookie who was forced to start immediately if I recall.  Always going to be some elite level edge player they will struggle against but for the most part will hold their own.

With talks of Nelson moving over to LT that wouldn’t surprise me and maybe why the Colt are talking with Meinerz.  Then again so are the Bengals plus a few other Clubs.  As for the Bengals makes sense could see them try to take Meinerz early around 3 replace Spain or start him at center.  If we do move Nelson to LT kind of expect the Colts to surprise a lot of folks and take Meinerz in Round 2.  If this experiment doesn’t work out can always move Nelson back to LG and Meinerz to Center to replace Kelly tbd.  In the end think the Colts will find a solution at LT in the draft even if they trade back in Round 1 (Little or Radunz).

41 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Cheap option for LT is the Texans Roderick Johnson.  Gotten some playing time in past few years especially within our own division.  

As for the draft to be honest a few LT names would be happy for the Colts to take.

As for rookies we seen plenty who can more than hold their own against most.  Even AC was a rookie who was forced to start immediately if I recall.  Always going to be some elite level edge player they will struggle against but for the most part will hold their own.

With talks of Nelson moving over to LT that wouldn’t surprise me and maybe why the Colt are talking with Meinerz.  Then again so are the Bengals plus a few other Clubs.  As for the Bengals makes sense could see them try to take Meinerz early around 3 replace Spain or start him at center.  If we do move Nelson to LT kind of expect the Colts to surprise a lot of folks and take Meinerz in Round 2.  If this experiment doesn’t work out can always move Nelson back to LG and Meinerz to Center to replace Kelly tbd.  In the end think the Colts will find a solution at LT in the draft even if they trade back in Round 1 (Little or Radunz).

I really hope Q stays at LG

On 3/5/2021 at 3:47 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Nelson , put best player at his natural position of LT where he has always played before college and let him excel and protect your QB and anchor the line

High school is not the NFL, though.  I think the less we fudge with our o-line the better. This is a great time to pick-up a LT. FA, draft, both.... plus don’t forget one particular solution already on the roster. In my always humble opinion.

On Sirius XM’s Moving the Chains today, Pat Kirwin speculating Colts as being best most realistic fit to make trade for OT Orlando Brown Jr., commenting that Colts 1st round draft slot sounds like the right price to pay. 

He also commented yeah, Nelson could play LT and do a nice job, but that he’s the best OG in the NFL, so if you can go get a good young OT to step in, why mess up what the Colts have going on with the interior of their OL. 

Draft analysis of him ... “Brown lived up to the hype in 2015 when given his chance, starting all 13 games at left tackle, earning Freshman All-American and honorable mention All-Big 12 accolades. He used his elite length, massive frame, and improving agility to start every game in his sophomore campaign, second-team Associated Press All-American and Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year honors. Brown was again among the best tackles in the country in 2017, receiving Outland Trophy finalist, first-team AP All-American, and All-Big 12 notice for protecting Baker Mayfield's blind side.”

35 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

On Sirius XM’s Moving the Chains today, Pat Kirwin speculating Colts as being best most realistic fit to make trade for OT Orlando Brown Jr., commenting that Colts 1st round draft slot sounds like the right price to pay. 

He also commented yeah, Nelson could play LT and do a nice job, but that he’s the best OG in the NFL, so if you can go get a good young OT to step in, why mess up what the Colts have going on with the interior of their OL. 

Draft analysis of him ... “Brown lived up to the hype in 2015 when given his chance, starting all 13 games at left tackle, earning Freshman All-American and honorable mention All-Big 12 accolades. He used his elite length, massive frame, and improving agility to start every game in his sophomore campaign, second-team Associated Press All-American and Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year honors. Brown was again among the best tackles in the country in 2017, receiving Outland Trophy finalist, first-team AP All-American, and All-Big 12 notice for protecting Baker Mayfield's blind side.”

Ballard will never pay the price for Brown in my opinion.

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No one cuts top players who are on their rookie contract.    They either get traded,  or the team and the player work out a new contract.   If the problem is the salary cap and not the player,  you restructure the deal.

But the Saint are not cutting Ramczyk or Lattimore.    I know that got floated a while back,  but it's simply not happening.

This is NOT one of those.....    "well it COULD happen..."  type of moments.   No, it couldn't.  Really.  100 percent, no.

It would be criminal GM malpractice.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:59 PM, danlhart87 said:

Let's get this topic back on track and focus on LT 

I'll tie it together. If we want a True Hero at LT, sign Alejandro Villanueva!  West Point Grad- Multiple Bronze Star Awardee for Valor, carrying wounded soldiers to safety while under fire in Afghanistan.   Also a Free Agent Left Tackle.  Could be a decent bridge until a to be drafted one develops.

1 hour ago, PeacefulEasonFeeling said:

High school is not the NFL, though.  I think the less we fudge with our o-line the better. This is a great time to pick-up a LT. FA, draft, both.... plus don’t forget one particular solution already on the roster. In my always humble opinion.

But we have no reason to believe Nelson who was All American in H.S. at his favorite and natural position he has played all his life all of a sudden wont excel. In fact it would be shocking if he wasnt at least top 10 at the minimum, best case scenario he becomes top LT in the sport (He stands a better shot at that than any rookie we draft or free agent out there). Q has the natural skills, the work ethic and the mean streak that sets him apart. I'd just much rather bet my chips on him at the most important position on the line than anyone else........if it blows up go to a plan B...im betting it doesnt blow up. I have 100% faith in him.

I've been reading all the posts about filling our needs and upgrades, either through FA or the draft.  IMO, LT is the #1 priority here.  We all know Ballard is big on building from the OL and DL, so to me he will be focused on the LT and Edge positions.

I know we have holes at WR and CB, depending on who he re-signs and/or lets go.  But, a very good OL and very good DL lessens the need for elite talent at WR and CB.  Good protection and good pressure on the opposing QB covers up a lot of deficiencies at the WR and CB positions.

Look at al the weapons KC has on offense, but when their OL suffered injuries, even Mahomes couldn't work his magic in the SB.

As a side note, why do they call them Tackles on the OL?  They don't tackle, and if they do, it's called holding!  Shouldn't they be called Blockers, Protectors or something like that?  Center and Guard make sense, but not Tackle.  Just asking :)

30 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I've been reading all the posts about filling our needs and upgrades, either through FA or the draft.  IMO, LT is the #1 priority here.  We all know Ballard is big on building from the OL and DL, so to me he will be focused on the LT and Edge positions.

I know we have holes at WR and CB, depending on who he re-signs and/or lets go.  But, a very good OL and very good DL lessens the need for elite talent at WR and CB.  Good protection and good pressure on the opposing QB covers up a lot of deficiencies at the WR and CB positions.

Look at al the weapons KC has on offense, but when their OL suffered injuries, even Mahomes couldn't work his magic in the SB.

As a side note, why do they call them Tackles on the OL?  They don't tackle, and if they do, it's called holding!  Shouldn't they be called Blockers, Protectors or something like that?  Center and Guard make sense, but not Tackle.  Just asking :)

Everyone keeps using the Chiefs as a reason to continue to pour all of our resources in the Oline. They lost their starting tackles too injuries before the superbowl. U think if we lost Castanzo and Smith before a big play off game, we would win the game? 

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Everyone keeps using the Chiefs as a reason to continue to pour all of our resources in the Oline. They lost their starting tackles too injuries before the superbowl. U think if we lost Castanzo and Smith before a big play off game, we would win the game? 

I see your point and agree, but it also points out the importance of a good OL, and OL depth.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, jimmy g said:

I agree. But he'll be gone by pick #15 in Round 1.

I know everyone has their different grades and boards, but I can not see this happening. I really like what i'm reading about the player and his attitude, but the position seems super deep for him to get plucked mid first. Mid 2nd IMO, although guessing is such a crap shoot.

4 hours ago, groundnpound said:

I know everyone has their different grades and boards, but I can not see this happening. I really like what i'm reading about the player and his attitude, but the position seems super deep for him to get plucked mid first. Mid 2nd IMO, although guessing is such a crap shoot.

I only posted that after hearing the announcers at the Senior Bowl on the XM NFL Channel gush over Raydunz. One was an NFL Scout (don't remember his name).  The announcer dogged over every other lineman in the game. Really criticized Leatherwood and the other Alabama lineman, said they really are projects- but gushed over and over how Raydunz had dominated every play. They said he'll go top 12, and start on Day One.

Granted- I have a soft spot for NDSU Bisons.  I drive a semi from Indy, and one of my routes is Fargo/Winnipeg.  The cleanest/friendliest truck stop in the USA is the StaMart in Fargo, across the railroad from NDSU, and when it park there i go walk to the campus and back to strech my legs. Friendly underdogs are easy to root for.

Now we have the release of Eric Fisher along with Reiff added to the FA pool so it seems more likely we will sign a veteran to start at LT instead of risking the position to a rookie IMO.   Ballard knows Fisher like he knew Houston so he might have an edge there.  Why take a chance on Wentz's blind side.  We need to give him every chance to succeed. A good veteran will help accomplish that goal. 

- I want Trent Williams but the price tag will be too high 

- I want Orlando Brown Jr but the price tag will be too high 

- I want Christian Darrisaw but he might not be there at 21

All my wants are unrealistic. Alejandro Villanueva is looking more and more like a strong possibility

On 3/11/2021 at 9:35 PM, holeymoley99 said:

But we have no reason to believe Nelson who was All American in H.S. at his favorite and natural position he has played all his life all of a sudden wont excel. In fact it would be shocking if he wasnt at least top 10 at the minimum, best case scenario he becomes top LT in the sport (He stands a better shot at that than any rookie we draft or free agent out there). Q has the natural skills, the work ethic and the mean streak that sets him apart. I'd just much rather bet my chips on him at the most important position on the line than anyone else........if it blows up go to a plan B...im betting it doesnt blow up. I have 100% faith in him.

Hmmm.  Kind of a great #2 who hits free agency and all of a sudden wants #1receiver money. More than often it fails and I dont have a lot of faith in Nelson making the transition 

On 3/11/2021 at 10:08 PM, NewColtsFan said:

No one cuts top players who are on their rookie contract.    They either get traded,  or the team and the player work out a new contract.   If the problem is the salary cap and not the player,  you restructure the deal.

But the Saint are not cutting Ramczyk or Lattimore.    I know that got floated a while back,  but it's simply not happening.

This is NOT one of those.....    "well it COULD happen..."  type of moments.   No, it couldn't.  Really.  100 percent, no.

It would be criminal GM malpractice.

I wonder what it would take to get them both. That would fill our two biggest needs.

32 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I wonder what it would take to get them both. That would fill our two biggest needs.

As good a player as Ramczyk is,  he's actually a Right Tackle.   Not a Left.    So, I don't think he'd plug that hole for us.

But to your question, what the old famous quote?    "If you have to ask how much,  you probably can't afford it!"

I don't think we could.....

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As good a player as Ramczyk is,  he's actually a Right Tackle.   Not a Left.    So, I don't think he'd plug that hole for us.

But to your question, what the old famous quote?    "If you have to ask how much,  you probably can't afford it!"

I don't think we could.....

Keep in mind Ramczyk played LT in college, was considered a LT in the draft, and started out in the pros as a LT. He moved to RT when their RT got injured and Armstead was healthy enough to come back at LT. 

10 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I don't get all this sign a left tackle and spend a year developing a rookie.

We didn't develop Nelson or Kelly or Smith. I think we'll draft one and he plays.

IMO, it's a rare season where you could short term an expensive dominant tackle and draft one form a deep class, keeping the money on the Oline down a bit. Colts have the short term cap space to pull this off. Some guys are day 1 starters, some aren't and I could understand the concern with not wanting to downgrade a ton from AC's play...especially in Wentz's first year here.

You may also be right and they may just draft one, I wouldn't be totally opposed to this either. The idea is  a little riskier, but definitely has merit.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, joecolts said:

You know who protected the winning Super Bowl QB of the Tampa Bay Bucs this year?  The QB who is the G.O.A.T. at the position?  A rookie.  Tristin Wirfs was the 4th tackle taken in the 2020 draft and he started 16 regular season games for the Bucs.   It's all about getting the right one.  

Iowa OL are always pretty well coached and ready for the pros.  Their head coach was an NFL OL coach back in the day.  

On 3/13/2021 at 11:40 AM, richard pallo said:

Now we have the release of Eric Fisher along with Reiff added to the FA pool so it seems more likely we will sign a veteran to start at LT instead of risking the position to a rookie IMO.   Ballard knows Fisher like he knew Houston so he might have an edge there.  Why take a chance on Wentz's blind side.  We need to give him every chance to succeed. A good veteran will help accomplish that goal. 

I do think that having a vet on a short deal while we draft a LT high and prep him to take over might be ideal. 

I also like it because it allows you some flexibility in the draft as opposed to walking in always concerned about the question of who will protect Wentz's blindside.  

On 3/15/2021 at 12:35 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Iowa OL are always pretty well coached and ready for the pros.  Their head coach was an NFL OL coach back in the day.  

Iowa and Wisconsin normally produce good line players.  They are up there with Norte Dame at being good at it.  

Archived