Who do You want at LT brahs?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• Nelson
    • Smith
    • Williams
    • Villaneauvau
    • Some other FA (Please name in thread)
    • Some Rookie We Draft (Please name in thread)
    • Other (Please name in thread)

19 minutes ago, Coltpwr said:

In spite of cap implications, I want to see Trent Williams on this line.   Dont want to develop a rook.     

I want to see total domination by the O-line.    

then draft edge 

Williams could command up to 20m per

no thanks 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

One name I haven't seen on here (sorry if I missed it): Orlando Brown Jr.   

I know he's not a FA (1 yr. left on rookie deal), but he wants to play LT, and has been rumored on his way out of Baltimore.   Selected to the Pro Bowl after filling in at LT.  I don't know anything else about him, & don't remember watching him play, so I'm honestly curious- thoughts on this guy?

The cost to trade for him would be to high and if you trade for him he’s gonna want a new contract which would cost to much for us between Nelson, Smith, and Kelly

10 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I saw a mock draft on reddit recently with Colts signing Richard Sherman and Russell Okung then drafting Bateman at 21

puke GIF

I think Sherman would do well in our zone. I'd take Okung but I don't want to pay more than 12M/year. 

Bateman is a good WR, I just want more of a burner. He's quick though, and can stack really well. I think he'd be best running out of the slot though long term. 

The bottom line is, there's no simple answer.  Orlando Pace isn't simply waiting for our call, to sign for economic dollars.  It's not out there.  You have to make choices.  Just how good is Free Agent X?  How good is he, really?  And for how much of my salary cap?  Ok, how bout the draft.  Does LT #4 require a couple of years to get used to the pro game?  And in the meantime, he's no better a functional option for us than L'Raven Clark?  There's no perfect answer out there.

That's why my best compromise answer is Liam Eichenberg.  He's got his techniques down so that he can start in the NFL, be effective, and not get killed.  But he doesn't have that higher, long-term ceiling, but he good enough today.  And he's going to cost rookie money.  And he'll be a better long-term answer than a $20 million veteran LT who is already 33 years old, and will retire in 2 years.

There are other answers, to be sure.  This is the best one I can come up with.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

The bottom line is, there's no simple answer.  Orlando Pace isn't simply waiting for our call, to sign for economic dollars.  It's not out there.  You have to make choices.  Just how good is Free Agent X?  How good is he, really?  And for how much of my salary cap?  Ok, how bout the draft.  Does LT #4 require a couple of years to get used to the pro game?  And in the meantime, he's no better a functional option for us than L'Raven Clark?  There's no perfect answer out there.

That's why my best compromise answer is Liam Eichenberg.  He's got his techniques down so that he can start in the NFL, be effective, and not get killed.  But he doesn't have that higher, long-term ceiling, but he good enough today.  And he's going to cost rookie money.  And he'll be a better long-term answer than a $20 million veteran LT who is already 33 years old, and will retire in 2 years.

There are other answers, to be sure.  This is the best one I can come up with.

Yes - lots to consider in this decision.  All teams are dealing with the salary cap and there might be some guys that don't get what they think they are worth.  We could wait around and see what happens in free agency, but it will still cost significant money to get a top tier vet.  Not sure we can afford it.

But we need to give Wentz the best possible chance of returning to his previous form and that means protecting his blind side the best that we can.

Has there been any discussion at all or has anyone seen anything from the team where they might try Smith at LT?  I am not sure I like the idea but he has done very well at RT.  Just curious if he has gotten any reps in practice or anything that anyone has seen.  Obviously training camp last year didn't provide that opportunity.  

I didn’t vote because

a) I want a FA stop gap for Wentz to feel protected to hit the ground running even if it’s for a year

b) I also want a rookie drafted in the first or second round to bring up to pace with the system and the OL since the OL play takes time to adjust to the NFL.

So I wanted to vote for 2 options. :) 

8 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I think that was totally uncalled for but I would expect Kaep to play better than Wentz will. The man is a hero.

Are you ok?   Honest sincere question.   You now hate Wentz so much that you think Colin Kaepernick would be a better player for us?

It looks like you can’t separate the Social Justice Warrior from the football player.  Two completely different things. 

1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Ummmm.... YES and the NFL says so. I also believe that he is and made a great contribution to the country and promoting BLM. I support that organization but with your attitude, you probably don't.

This isn't a political forum, it doesn't matter if I do or not in regards to Kaep. The key thing is he hasn't played in YEARS so obviously the NFL says he isn't good enough regardless of his interest in social justice. If he truly would be better than Wentz why hasn't he been signed?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are you ok?   Honest sincere question.   You now hate Wentz so much that you think Colin Kaepernick would be a better player for us?

It looks like you can’t separate the Social Justice Warrior from the football player.  Two completely different things. 

I am sure Kaep could still be a good QB in the NFL and his skills have nothing to do with why he isn't playing. Wentz was the worst QB in the NFL last year. What makes you think he will ever be close to what he was when he came into the league. I vote for Kaep.

2 minutes ago, life long said:

This isn't a political forum, it doesn't matter if I do or not in regards to Kaep. The key thing is he hasn't played in YEARS so obviously the NFL says he isn't good enough regardless of his interest in social justice. If he truly would be better than Wentz why hasn't he been signed?

I guess you missed the part where he was awarded millions from the NFL for being blackballed and not allowed to play. That is a SB QB. Wentz is nothing. Everything is political. I pointed out a left handed QB who was available and you used that to start taking shots at man who is revered all over this county. One who Nike gave a shoe contract even though he wasn't allowed to play and their stock soared because of it. Do you really want to continue this nonsense you are spouting? I probably wouldn't pay to watch Wentz but I would pay to watch Kaep and there are tens of thousands of other people who also would support seeing him play.

6 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I am sure Kaep could still be a good QB in the NFL and his skills have nothing to do with why he isn't playing. Wentz was the worst QB in the NFL last year. What makes you think he will ever be close to what he was when he came into the league. I vote for Kaep.

What makes me think?

How about the fact that both Reich and Ballard think so.   Good enough for me.

And don’t kid yourself, when he was playing in his last few years, he wasn’t playing very well.   If teams thought he was a starting caliber interest, he’d have interest.   The reason there’s been little real interest is that his politics aren’t worth it for a quality backup.   And that’s how he’s viewed — backup.  

It’s not clear to anyone that Kaep even wants to play anymore.  He’s financially set for life. 

5 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

no way do not want GIF by CBC

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

What makes me think?

Hiw about the fact that both Reich and Ballard think so.   Good enough for me.

And don’t kid yourself, when he was playing in his last few years, he wasn’t playing very well.   If teams thought he was a starting caliber interest, he’d have interest.   The reason there’s been little real interest is that his politics aren’t worth it for a quality backup.   And that’s how he’s viewed — backup.  

It’s not clear to anyone that Kaep even wants to play anymore.  He’s financially set for life. 

The original reason a team like Seattle didn't sign him was they didn't view Kaep as a backup QB. They saw him as a starter and they didn't have that position open. If you think there are 32 better QBs in the NFL than Kaep we have nothing else to discuss. 

I guess you missed the part where he was awarded millions from the NFL for being blackballed and not allowed to play. That is a SB QB. Wentz is nothing. Everything is political. I pointed out a left handed QB who was available and you used that to start taking shots at man who is revered all over this county. One who Nike gave a shoe contract even though he wasn't allowed to play and their stock soared because of it. Do you really want to continue this nonsense you are spouting? I probably wouldn't pay to watch Wentz but I would pay to watch Kaep and there are tens of thousands of other people who also would support seeing him play.

First thing, what shot did I take at Kaep? Second just because you and tens of thousands want Kaep, it would seem the majority don't.  Lastly there are rules to not talk politics on here. If you want to discuss that stuff PM me or go to misc discussions.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What makes me think?

Hiw about the fact that both Reich and Ballard think so.   Good enough for me.

I am not convinced about Reich. He hasn't shown me anything other than he can't manage a game. Ballard isn't exactly a QB guru or we wouldn't have gone after Wentz.

The original reason a team like Seattle didn't sign him was they didn't view Kaep as a backup QB. They saw him as a starter and they didn't have that position open. If you think there are 32 better QBs in the NFL than Kaep we have nothing else to discuss. 

Very typical for someone who is losing an argument to take such a stance. 

4 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

If you had made this argument back in 2012 when Kaep led SF to the Super Bowl where he almost won, THEN you’d have something.  But it’s now 2021, no one thinks he’s a starter now.   What’s it been, 4-5 years?

Yes, Seattle wondered if Kaep would be willing to be their backup?   He never gave them an answer. 

1 minute ago, life long said:

First thing, what shot did I take at Kaep? Second just because you and tens of thousands want Kaep, it would seem the majority don't.  Lastly there are rules to not talk politics on here. If you want to discuss that stuff PM me or go to misc discussions.

I said Kaep was a hero and you said Ummmm, no. That was political. My original post was not. I merely said Kaep was avail

If you had made this argument back in 2012 when Kaep led SF to the Super Bowl where he almost won, THEN you’d have something.  But it’s now 2021, no one thinks he’s a starter now.   What’s it been, 4-5 years?

Yes, Seattle wondered if Kaep would be willing to be their backup?   He never gave them an answer. 

That was the answer.

5 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I am not convinced about Reich. He hasn't shown me anything other than he can't manage a game. Ballard isn't exactly a QB guru or we wouldn't have gone after Wentz.

Why are you a Colts fan?

Why are you spending time here?   To show everyone you’re right and they’re wrong?

Reich hasn’t shown you anything?   Luck had his best year with him, and Rivers had one of his 2-3 best years at the end of his career.   Hasn’t shown you anything?   

Dear God!        :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

That was the answer.

The answer to which question?

9 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I said Kaep was a hero and you said Ummmm, no. That was political. My original post was not. I merely said Kaep was avail

That was the answer.

I said ummm no to the idea a guy who hasn't played in the league for years, would play better then Wentz. If anyone thought he would, they would have signed him. The fact we traded for Wentz instead of signing a FA, which would include Kaep, speaks to the perspective of our front office and coaching staff. YOU made it about politics even though it has nothing to do with this conversation. Again message me if you'd like a discussion but this thread isn't the place for this...

Why are you a Colts fan?

Why are you spending time here?   To show everyone you’re right and they’re wrong?

Reich hasn’t shown you anything?   Luck had his best year with him, and Rivers had one of his 2-3 best years at the end of his career.   Hasn’t shown you anything?   

Dear God!        :facepalm:

The answer to which question?

Why would Kaep go and workout for Seattle knowing they had Russell Wilson if not to be the backup.   So Seattle asks the question and he doesn’t answer it.   And you’re OK with that?

Seattle and Baltimore are perhaps two of the most Liberal franchises in the NFL.  Ownership and coaches both friendly and empathetic to the cause of African American players.   And Kaep handled his own business about as badly as possible and couldn’t get a backup job with either team.   You can like him as a person and support his cause, but he was extremely unprofessional in how he handled his NFL business.    Sorry. 

14 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Riley Reiff was cut by the Vikings. 32 years old, just gave up 1 sack last year. Could be an affordable stop gap option at LT, though Viking fans think he was bad up until last season. I guess there is a reason he is released.

I absolutely think he should be an option for us, especially as a stop gap option. Hell... even if we draft an OT, he probably is a good bridge option for a year or two, and since he was cut while being due 11M means he will very likely be cheaper than those 11M(otherwise they would have traded him). I would definitely kick the tires on this one. 

Archived