Now that we’ve all had time to digest Ballard’s 5th draft, which is a good sample size, I thought we could discuss what have been everyone’s favorite and least favorite picks. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 so we’re talking about your feelings after the pick was made and before they ever stepped foot on an NFL. Based on what you thought of the player at the time, who was on the board, scheme fit, any character or medical issues that scared you. List a guy even if you were wrong about him. I’ll start off:
Favorites in Order:
1. Kwity Paye- I was high on Paye back in September of last year. I saw him wreck the draft stock of the Minnesota OT who was highly rated at the time. I just thought this was a slam dunk pick and easy one to make.
2. Darius Leonard- I’ll admit I was high on Tremaine Edmunds from VT that year, and I like Roquan Smith. Call me a liar, but I was one of the few people high on Leonard. I sour a lot of draft sites for prospect rankings and Walter Football had him as a top 5 LB in his class, so he was already on my radar.
3. Michael Pittman Jr.- Paye is up there but Idk if there was ever a more Ballard player than Pittman. Senior Bowl, team captain, student athlete, etc... Plus I loved that he was the type of receiver we hadn’t had. The big X type but he was an underrated route runner in college.
4. Jonathan Taylor- I freaked out over this pick, but in the opposite way everyone else did. Mack was coming off his best year, but his health has always been a dice roll and he was going into a contract year. Taylor was literally the best RB in CFB and in that draft. The fact that he was available was crazy. Chiefs really drafted CEH over him lol.
1. Ben Banogu- I just never got this pick. AJ Brown and several other notable players were on the board. He was just a HWS guy and the definition of a project. Had no business going that high. Nothing from his tape or from what analysts said indicated he had a potential ceiling that made him worth the gamble.
2. Rock Ya-Sin- While he had some hype coming out of the Senior Bowl, I didn’t get this pick at all. Almost every analyst said that he was a press man corner. Drafting him to play in our zone made no sense to me. And again, there were better players available.
3. Sam Ehlinger- Sure he was only a 6th round pick but I just don’t get the point in bringing in a project QB to push/compete with a project QB in Jacob Eason. He also doesn’t have the elite arm strength that Eason has or his size, so it’s a real head scratcher for me. I get how important character is but there a good chance he ends up on the PS so I’m not sure what he adds.